• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 8 |OT| - Plays of the Week

Zeke

Just saw Cox post game we're the better team comment. Breh your WR's have stubs for hands you're 0-2 in the division just stop. That nuggets gif :jnc

not_sure_if_serious.gif

Seriously Eagles fans, stop getting pissy about your QB and actually READ POSTS.

yes, but you are implying it's his fault for not pushing the ball down the field and have implied it in multiple posts.

Giants need to take care of business next week.

Giants OL isn't the Cowboy line so Cox, Graham and Co will feast. Maybe Mac will do some lineup arrangements and shuffle up the playcalls.
Barwin has had some big games against us, too. That's the match-up though. Last few years, the Eagles line has just taken our lunch money in the trenches. Outside of the opening drive last season that went about as perfectly as a drive could go for us, its been pretty dominating performance for the Eagles Dline. Eli eventually starts to see ghosts, plays skittish as hell and the game is lost.

We'll see if its any different this year but honestly McAdoo needs to realize that the Eagles cornerbacks are trash. We have an unfavorable match-up in the trenches but our WR's should be be eating those CB's alive if we can get Eli a bit of time. Especially Odell. We need to push the ball down the field.

I'm sorry BG, it's just bidness not personal

Man Zeke wasn't even a problem in the main game. we held him to like 76 until OT.

Old ass Darren sproles had more rushing yards up until OT.

Prescott, Bryant, your fucking Punter (smh) and Doug Pederson/our Wrs were our biggest issues.

jbug617

Banned
MLB beat the Eagles and Cowboys game last night by a good margin.

World Series Game 5 (15.3 overnight rating) beat Cowboys-Eagles overtime game last night by 32% (11.6 for Sunday Night Football)

Zeke

Man Zeke wasn't even a problem in the main game. we held him to like 76 until OT.

Old ass Darren sproles had more rushing yards up until OT.

Prescott, Bryant, your fucking Punter (smh) and Doug Pederson were our biggest issues.
We helped you guys with that 60yd run that got called back :(

yes, but you are implying it's his fault for not pushing the ball down the field and have implied it in multiple posts.

I didn't imply anything. I outright STATED that he isn't doing it because he is being coached to get the ball out quickly, as I posted here.

Teams are sitting on the Eagles routes because Carson isn't pushing the ball downfield. Now is he not doing that because the Wide Receivers suck ass? Possibly, but what I think it is instead is that Wentz has been instructed to get the ball out to his first or second read - which is what many rookies are coached to do their rookie year. His stats bear this out.

The problem isn't my posts, it's that for whatever reason you Eagles fans are virgin sensitive to any posts about your QB.

Hindl

I didn't imply anything. I outright STATED that he isn't doing it because he is being coached to get the ball out quickly, as I posted here.

The problem isn't my posts, it's that for whatever reason you Eagles fans are virgin sensitive to any posts about your QB.

FWIW I've mostly agreed with your assessment so far. I don't know if Wentz has a lack of faith in his receivers or Doug just is refusing to draw up those deep plays, but it's been frustrating to watch. Our receivers haven't been able to get separation, and maybe Wentz is a little afraid of tossing up those contested balls after his back-to-back ints game against the Vikings. I'm not too worried about dink-and-dunk, Wentz mostly was making the correct reads and was accurate, if the receivers could just hold on to balls that game would've gone better. So there was no reason to really move away from what was working in that sense. I'm just more worried that he'll get too comfortable with that, and when(if) we get him a reliable deep threat, he'll just be too conditioned to taking the underneath routes. Seriously, get Jeffery in the offseason and draft one of these stud RBs, then just spend the rest of the draft getting a new LB and CB and OL depth. Then hopefully Wentz will be able to push the ball downfield more.

FWIW I've mostly agreed with your assessment so far. I don't know if Wentz has a lack of faith in his receivers or Doug just is refusing to draw up those deep plays, but it's been frustrating to watch. Our receivers haven't been able to get separation, and maybe Wentz is a little afraid of tossing up those contested balls after his back-to-back ints game against the Vikings. I'm not too worried about dink-and-dunk, Wentz mostly was making the correct reads and was accurate, if the receivers could just hold on to balls that game would've gone better. So there was no reason to really move away from what was working in that sense. I'm just more worried that he'll get too comfortable with that, and when(if) we get him a reliable deep threat, he'll just be too conditioned to taking the underneath routes. Seriously, get Jeffery in the offseason and draft one of these stud RBs, then just spend the rest of the draft getting a new LB and CB and OL depth. Then hopefully Wentz will be able to push the ball downfield more.

Wasn't your front office talking about getting Torrey Smith? I wouldn't worry too much about Wentz getting complacent, but the offense has to change. Defenses have just been crowding Wentz recently. Even if you don't have the horses, you have to force the issue to keep the D honest. I suspect though as a former QB Pederson doesn't want to risk the turnovers lest it get to Wentz mentally.

MechDX

Dre. :(

He will always be remembered for this:
andre-johnson-go-ham-o.gif

But you cant forget this:
andre-johnson-o.gif

When his candidacy for Canton is being debated he needs to walk into the voters meetings hold up a #8 Texans jersey, drop it and walk out.

Hindl

Wasn't your front office talking about getting Torrey Smith? I wouldn't worry too much about Wentz getting complacent, but the offense has to change. Defenses have just been crowding Wentz recently. Even if you don't have the horses, you have to force the issue to keep the D honest. I suspect though as a former QB Pederson doesn't want to risk the turnovers lest it get to Wentz mentally.

There's rumors about Smith, but the FO has denied it, just like Jeffery. Though of course they are, if they come out and say they're aggressively looking into it and then it doesn't happen, the WRs on the team know the coach has no faith in them. I doubt something gets done before the deadline, they'll probably just wait until the offseason. I'd take Torrey Smith, he's a great deep threat but not the true #1 we could really use. But he'll probably be the best available unless Jeffery is willing to take reduced play to come play here.

Some stats just for the helluva it.

Jordan Raanan ‏@JordanRaanan 30s31 seconds ago
CB Josh Norman blowing away field in penalties this year. Flagged 13 times already. Only other player in double-digits is Greg Robinson (10)

Jordan Raanan ‏@JordanRaanan 3m3 minutes ago
Teams minus-3 or worse in turnover margin: Titans, SD, Rams, Browns, MIA, Giants, Texans, CAR, Jets, Jags. Only NYG/HOU have wiining records

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeBR 1h1 hour ago
Through first half of season, #NFL teams are averaging 7.1 penalties per game (or 14.2 total). That's the 2nd-highest avg over past 21 yrs

...and fun rumor from Schefter:

@adamschefter: If the Jaguars decide to make a change at HC when the season is over...keep an eye on Tom Coughlin.

Tom going home would be fun to watch.

I didn't imply anything. I outright STATED that he isn't doing it because he is being coached to get the ball out quickly, as I posted here
my bad. I literally read everything you posted except the last sentence about the coaching. I just skipped it due to the fact I'm still extremely pissed about last night and looking for anything to let me rage more. So I jumped the gun there.

gutshot

There's rumors about Smith, but the FO has denied it, just like Jeffery. Though of course they are, if they come out and say they're aggressively looking into it and then it doesn't happen, the WRs on the team know the coach has no faith in them. I doubt something gets done before the deadline, they'll probably just wait until the offseason. I'd take Torrey Smith, he's a great deep threat but not the true #1 we could really use. But he'll probably be the best available unless Jeffery is willing to take reduced play to come play here.

A number one receiver would change everything. I mean the difference in the game last night couldn't have been more clear when DGB dropped a catchable ball near the goal line that would have setup a touchdown and a 14 point lead while on the opposite end Dez catches a ball thrown up for grabs with defenders draped all over him that sends the game into overtime.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
MLB beat the Eagles and Cowboys game last night by a good margin.

Hmm that's kinda surprising. I guess Prescott and Wentz aren't big draws yet?

There were a lot of good NFL games yesterday so maybe the ratings will pick up? Unfortunately MNF is another laugher.

There were a lot of good NFL games yesterday so maybe the ratings will pick up? Unfortunately MNF is another laugher.

Indians haven't won the World Series in almost 70 years ,Cubs haven't in over a Century. History is being made,

Wentz and Prescott are both no name rookies. Garbage game was expected.

I mean, last night was a potential clinching game of a championship.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Indians haven't won the World Series in almost 70 years ,Cubs haven't in over a Century. History is being made,

Wentz and Prescott are both no name rookies. Garbage game was expected.

"History being made" is still lower than the ratings from the 2009 World Series though. Which apparently the 2009 was still lower than anything before 2005 except for the 2000 World Series.

Maybe SNF getting beat out is indicative of overall viewership being down and the last 6 years of bad World Series ratings.

I do think it has something to do with two no name rookies. It's still kind of odd considering that NFC East games are usually gigantic draws.

edit: scratch that, 15.3 is the highest since the 2004 World Series. I was looking at the ratings for the first 4 games. Still crazy to think that a 15.3 rating would have been unthinkably low in the 80s and early 90s.

"History being made" is still lower than the ratings from the 2009 World Series though. Which apparently the 2009 was still lower than anything before 2005 except for the 2000 World Series.

Maybe SNF getting beat out is indicative of overall viewership being down and the last 6 years of bad World Series ratings.

I do think it has something to do with two no name rookies. It's still kind of odd considering that NFC East games are usually gigantic draws.

edit: scratch that, 15.3 is the highest since the 2004 World Series. I was looking at the ratings for the first 4 games. Still crazy to think that a 15.3 rating would have been unthinkably low in the 80s and early 90s.

WAAAY more viewing options now. Remember, in the 80s you would be lucky to catch a handful of out of market games per year, so the playoffs were a massive event for every sport.

Possible last game of the World Series vs just a regular season game.

All the real sports fans were watching the walking dead like me though

Hindl

A number one receiver would change everything. I mean the difference in the game last night couldn't have been more clear when DGB dropped a catchable ball near the goal line that would have setup a touchdown and a 14 point lead while on the opposite end Dez catches a ball thrown up for grabs with defenders draped all over him that sends the game into overtime.

Yeah, this isn't quite the Pinkston/Thrash era, but pretty close, our WRs are pitiful. Given how aggressive they were last offseason tackling our major deficiencies (OL, 2nd safety, LB), I think Howie will make a big play for a WR. Just sucks because aside from Jeffery there doesn't seem to be much. Also looks like a pretty weak WR draft class. I'll take Smith, I'm just a little leery of his contract. If they do get him I hope he restructures. It also sucks that DGB had those drops, he was having a pretty good game otherwise. Dez really bailed Dak out a few times, who was looking a lot more like a rookie

In their last 242 offensive plays the eagles have one that has gone for more then 30 yards. The play calling on offense is beyond terrible. I hate the way they use huff. He is quick and can make guys miss in space, so every okay to him is a quick screen 3 yards behind the Los, and he is expected to make 2 guys miss. It is so stupid and they just keep doing it every game.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
WAAAY more viewing options now. Remember, in the 80s you would be lucky to catch a handful of out of market games per year, so the playoffs were a massive event for every sport.

Yeah that makes sense.

The NFL still had the highest viewership of the day though with Green Bay and Atlanta!

Also interesting to note is that SNF still won viewership amongst 18-49 year olds...well until it didn't later on.

gutshot

In their last 242 offensive plays the eagles have one that has gone for more then 30 yards. The play calling on offense is beyond terrible. I hate the way they use huff. He is quick and can make guys miss in space, so every okay to him is a quick screen 3 yards behind the Los, and he is expected to make 2 guys miss. It is so stupid and they just keep doing it every game.

Well he can't win off the line and he can't catch (he's an Eagles receiver after all) so throwing him bubble screens and swing passes is about all they can do. I would like to see some more hand offs to him though. Jet sweep, end around, that sorta stuff.

Top Bottom