• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 8 |OT| - Plays of the Week

effzee

1. Goes cold to Smallwood on huge drive.
2. Calls dumbass bubble screen when FG ices it.
3. Punts instead of 53yd FG, kicker already made 55

Nice coaching there Reid.

JABEE

Wentz played great.

Doug Pederson lost the Eagles the game without question.

The Eagles gifted the Cowboys a win.

Edit: Also, Dean Blandino should get tons of shit for cheering on the Cowboys tonight vie Twitter.

Hopefully Doug learns from this game. Enough with these line of scrimmage screen passes that go for losses.

I understand we're holding a rookie coach to high expectations but this was a totally winnable game.

Edit: and obviously we need to get actual WRs.

It's like Eagles fans don't understand that they have the Kansas City Chiefs' OC. This Wentz phenom must have distracted them and made them forget.

squicken

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Coaches don't trust WRs to get off press or separate. Has been issue all season and will not change until they get 2 new outside WRs.

Same issue last year, but Philly media kept calling Bradford a checkdown artist. And that was with Riley Cooper!

e:

Arif Hasan ‏@ArifHasanNFL
Wentz had the lowest average depth of target this week at 4.6 yards downfield per target (via PFF)

But Wentz had some bad throws too. Shit happens. That's why you need big plays. It's hard to go drive after drive 5-6 yards at a time
Wentz was accurate the entire game. DGB himself dropped about 5 passes. We should have gone downfield more often but it had nothing to do with Wentz's inaccuracy.

Afrikan

if the league and officials don't already have too much control in how a game can go, they are trying to add more ways.

If refs/doctors can get picky in who to pull for who "looks" like they got a concussion (even though they can pass the test) and rule them out from the rest of the game....fuuuuuuk that.

officiating calls are already iffy as it is, especially in the playoffs/SuperBowl. Hate that the NFL wants to add any other way to control these games.

Wentz was accurate the entire game. DGB himself dropped about 5 passes. We should have gone downfield more often but it had nothing to do with Wentz's inaccuracy.

By more do you mean "at least once with our quarterback" because the only downfield shot was the arrogant little trick play after the cowboys did it

Gobias

Banned
I dunno. Only 2 post-season wins and he can't stay healthy.

eh, I just don't think Dak can take a game into his own hands right now. If another team shuts down their running game I don't think there's anything he could do. He left a lot of open opportunities on the field through a lot of bad passes while Romo can make those plays, even if he is riskier.

Pepiope

He is fucking awful. He absolutely cost them this game. I hate him so much, can't wait until he is back carrying rieds bags.
Who do we throw to? The only guy doing anything on offense was Sproles. Our WRs couldn't break arm tackles, they were dropping balls left and right. We have no one on offense that will keep DCs up at night. Sooner or later we'll shoot ourselves in the foot with a fumble or a drop.

Afrikan

eh, I just don't think Dak can take a game into his own hands right now. If another team shuts down their running game I don't think there's anything he could do. He left a lot of open opportunities on the field through a lot of bad passes while Romo can make those plays, even if he is riskier.

As a 9er fan, I'm ALL for this... hopefully Dak gets some Osweiler feels in a few years and gets the fuck out of Dallas.

effzee

It's like Eagles fans don't understand that they have the Kansas City Chiefs' OC. This Wentz phenom must have distracted them and made them forget.

What? Eagles fans understand it more than anyone else.

We had this same offense for 14 years before.

I had flashbacks to Todd Pinkston bubble screens that loss yards or were no gains.

The 4th quarter was the worst play calling I've seen by a coach. They had the game and just gave it away.

squicken

Except outside of this game they have tried to go deep. Missed on them a lot.

I'm more shocked at all the bubble screens and complete lack of TE involvement.

Yeah Erzt gets the big extension and then has disappeared. At the end of last year I thought he was ready to breakout

Pepiope

Rookie HC. Rookie QB. At least we're competitive. We need weapons. grab Alshon, grab a RB, grab a speedster in the draft, sign like 40 undrafted WRs and see who can play. We need 2 new starting WRs.

LJ11

What really is going to cost the Eagles is their garbage cornerbacks, you can't play with them, inferior ball skills, they stink against the big boys.

My god the savagery

Lgc4Ats.png

Zeke

Will be scary once Romo is healthy. Congrats on the division Dallas.
You guys have some solid pieces get wentz a real WR1 and he's going to go wild. I'm sure eagles will land a big one in FA. I think Jim is the right DC for you guys not sold on dougie tho.

effzee

What really is going to cost the Eagles is their garbage cornerbacks, you can't play with them, inferior ball skills, they stink against the big boys.

Oh dont worry we brought over Buffalo leftovers and are forced to start a 7th round rookie cause we traded the 2nd round pick from last year.

Oh supposedly there is a practice squad CB and he's super good.

0-2 within the division :(

effzee

When they play teams with actual post rushers their OLine is an even bigger issue

OLine is only an issue because of the Lane Johnson suspension and injuries to the interior of the line.

The CBs are by choice, though I do like Carroll.

Bennie Logan can't back soon enough.

Are Barwin and Hicks even on the team anywhere?

Pepiope

Oh dont worry we brought over Buffalo leftovers and are forced to start a 7th round rookie cause we traded the 2nd round pick from last year.

Oh supposedly there is a practice squad CB and he's super good.

0-2 within the division :(
We are rebuilding. If Mills/Smith projects better in this defense 2 years from now then you keep them. We aren't winning a Super Bowl this season. Im just happy this season isn't just a shit show, and we're actually competing with good teams.

LJ11

When they play teams with actual post rushers their OLine is an even bigger issue

You can roll with that line when their healthy, but it's an aging line, need some youth.

I'm not sure why Eagles fans are panicking after that loss. O has been an issue, your ST and D have carried you, no need to go crazy after this L. I still don't trust that secondary in a big spot, but you have a couple of guys up front that can wreck games so they'll make up for the lack of talent on the backend.

Honestly, is it even worth having a top flight secondary, or drafting DBs early? Most of these guys end up as busts, and with all the ridiculous PI/Holding, your secondary can be effectively shut down by the yellow flags. Don't get me wrong, you need corners, but do you need to take these guys early in the draft every year? Just a general thought.

effzee

Pederson not kicking a FG there is so classic Reid that I can't believe I have to live this through again.

Coach is 3 and 3 what should we do? Let's throw the 20th bubble screen of the game!

The starter and backup are both injured. They have Jenkins, a Safety, in as slot CB. The starter isn't that good either, but the situation is much worse than they usually would be.

Damn Zeke was 4 yards short of a bill. Had that big run not been called back, he'd continue that 130+ streak going. Oh well WOOOOOOOO!@

JABEE

You can roll with that line when their healthy, but it's an aging line, need some youth.

I'm not sure why Eagles fans are panicking after that loss. O has been an issue, your ST and D have carried you, no need to go crazy after this L. I still don't trust that secondary in a big spot, but you have a couple of guys up front that can wreck games so they'll make up for the lack of talent on the backend.

Honestly, is it even worth having a top flight secondary, or drafting DBs early? Most of these guys end up as busts, and with all the ridiculous PI/Holding, your secondary can be effectively shut down by the yellow flags. Don't get me wrong, you need corners, but do you need to take these guys early in the draft every year? Just a general thought.

It's just a tough loss to think about when you're up by 10 twice and you blow the game. The Eagles had a chance to kick a 53 yard field goal after a 6 yard loss on a bubble screen and elected to punt for a net gain of about 30 yards.

The Eagles have now shot themselves in the foot in two games. Detroit and Dallas. Both games had game-altering fumbles.

Top Bottom