• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 9 |OT| - This. is. the. GPODAWUND

MechDX

I don't even feel disrespect anymore

I don't feel anything anymore

*sits at his Presidential Throne*

roberto-aguayo-beast-mouth-piece.jpg

He got you fam

TheContact

Given Brady is having his best career in 17 seasons, post deflategate, do his detractors still think air pressure made a difference? Especially a difference enough to warrant a 4 game suspension. (Wife, girlfriend beaters got less) And if it did, why was Aaron Rogers not in trouble for openly admitting he overinflated balls? Honestly I think the 4 game suspension only served to help the patriots and Tom Brady. Look at him now.

In all seriousness Kessler has played pretty well. His numbers are comparable to the other rookies. But the 0-8 record kinda overshadows that. He's played well enough to win games but dosent have a D that can stop anyone. Plus the 50 injuries and the ever changing O line this season.

I think he's making a good case for himself next season
Congrats Seattle, your last major draft pick defeated the Thunder last night!

ceu1epjwmaablmvxxung.jpg
He can't get away with this.

Westbrook said the warriors talk a lot of trash. They can't keep getting away with this
*cries

Mindlog

Hypothetically.
If the Browns are mathematically eliminated from the 8-8 dream. 8-8 is still on. 8-8 is a state of mind and reality is irrelevant correct?

I wanted 7 wins this year, but hope is dimming.

Hunter S.

Given Brady is having his best career in 17 seasons, post deflategate, do his detractors still think air pressure made a difference? Especially a difference enough to warrant a 4 game suspension. (Wife, girlfriend beaters got less) And if it did, why was Aaron Rogers not in trouble for openly admitting he overinflated balls? Honestly I think the 4 game suspension only served to help the patriots and Tom Brady. Look at him now.
The Pats do still play in modern times worst division (sorry Dolphin people, and the good people of New York). They are also playing the AFC North which is having the worst year for that group in a long time. Give them the AFC West and see how they stack up against the best.

Line_HTX

Hypothetically.
If the Browns are mathematically eliminated from the 8-8 dream. 8-8 is still on. 8-8 is a state of mind and reality is irrelevant correct?

I wanted 7 wins this year, but hope is dimming.

No one wants to be that team that gives them the first win. Incoming 0-32.

=D

That's some ridiculous optimism when your defense is giving up over 27 points per game.

I'm skeptical until I see some receipts.

A decent amount of those points have been garbage time scores such as last night and somewhat against the Saints, or the falcons defense playing three great quarters and letting the foot off the gas such as against the Panthers.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that there is a lot to work to be done with this defense but the talent is there. We are starting 4 rookies who have a lot of miscommunications but are making a ton of flash plays as well.

D-Line: Vic Beasley has really stepped it up this year and has 7.5 sacks but is also tackling well in the run game and is using more than just speed to get pressure. He bullrushed his guy back so far that Winston tripped on him which allowed Clayborn to get the sack. And Clayborn is really coming into his own as well, I believe he has already matched his pressures from last year and is crushing QBs. Grady Jarrett has a really quick first step and has done a good job at collapsing the pocket. I would love for us to add another pass rusher or DT next year through FA or draft, could really turn this into a defensive line to watch for. Overall the defensive line play is leaps and bounds better than last year already.

Linebackers: Deion Jones is the real deal and De'Vondre Campbell is making plenty of rookie mistakes but also has shown the instincts and athleticism in flashes that are giving a lot of falcons fans confidence in his abilities. Campbell is a question mark but he has been playing way above his draft status so far.

Secondary: Trufant is a stud but has a slight dip in play lately, but overall I would consider him a top 10 CB any day. Alford is above average and gets too many penalties. Keanu Neal at safety has been a revelation and is living up to his first round draft billing easily. He has taken his rookie hits such as when he was getting schooled by Olsen in the 4th quarter against the panthers but I have complete confidence in him to learn from these games each week because he has made just as many positive plays if not more. Poole was undrafted but has been one of the better nickel corners this year. Ricardo Allen at FS is a disaster and needs to be replaced badly.

Overall there is good young talent on every level of the defense and if they can become more cohesive as a unit and not play such soft zone they could easily step up their play next year. I'm expecting much better play as a lot of these guys go into their second and third years. I am definitely optimistic but I think I have decent reason to be.

They also don't have to be elite when the offense is so damn good, if they can get into even the middle of the pack this team could really make some noise.

Tom Penny

The Pats do still play in modern times worst division (sorry Dolphin people, and the good people of New York). They are also playing the AFC North which is having the worst year for that group in a long time. Give them the AFC West and see how they stack up against the best.
Brady's win percentage outside of the AFC East is higher than against them. I guess the whole NFL sucks!!! He also had to go against 4 division winners basically every year

squicken

e: Talib out. Big loss against the Raiders offense

On first down:

-Average team gains 5.4 yards. No team is below 4.5, except MIN, at 4.1

-League average rush gains 4.1 yards. MIN is last at 2.4

-League average pass gains 6.9 yards, MIN is 26th at 6.0 (PIT and GB are 31/32)

-Average team gets a new first down 21% of the time, MIN is last at 14%

-Rushes gain a first down for a league average team 14.7% of the time. Only 3 teams are below 10%, NYJ (7.8%) JAX(6.6%) and MIN 5.7%

-Passes generate a first down league wide 28.5% of the time, MIN is 26th at 24.7%

-

By EXP, last year MIN had the 2nd best rush offense and the 2nd worst passing offense. Now it's the worst (by far) rush offense and 17th passing offense. But the passing offense was 4th before the Eagles game.

It's been such a rapid decline, but it has coincided with teams playing 2 deep. MIN had been getting big plays on quick throw go routes against single high looks. Now, if they want to throw deep, they have to hold the ball, which they can't do. My guess is they'll build in some max protect shot plays, which is what the Rams do. Shitty offensive lines all run the same plays I guess

Hunter S.

Brady's win percentage outside of the AFC East is higher than against them. I guess the whole NFL sucks!!! He also had to go against 4 division winners basically every year
He also has a huge clitoris!

No one will deny division rivals usually play their best against each other, we see it all the time.
Never said they were bad, rather just privileged, cheaters that play in a division that usually plays bad against all the rest of the league.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
A decent amount of those points have been garbage time scores such as last night and somewhat against the Saints, or the falcons defense playing three great quarters and letting the foot off the gas such as against the Panthers.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that there is a lot to work to be done with this defense but the talent is there. We are starting 4 rookies who have a lot of miscommunications but are making a ton of flash plays as well.

D-Line: Vic Beasley has really stepped it up this year and has 7.5 sacks but is also tackling well in the run game and is using more than just speed to get pressure. He bullrushed his guy back so far that Winston tripped on him which allowed Clayborn to get the sack. And Clayborn is really coming into his own as well, I believe he has already matched his pressures from last year and is crushing QBs. Grady Jarrett has a really quick first step and has done a good job at collapsing the pocket. I would love for us to add another pass rusher or DT next year through FA or draft, could really turn this into a defensive line to watch for. Overall the defensive line play is leaps and bounds better than last year already.

Linebackers: Deion Jones is the real deal and De'Vondre Campbell is making plenty of rookie mistakes but also has shown the instincts and athleticism in flashes that are giving a lot of falcons fans confidence in his abilities. Campbell is a question mark but he has been playing way above his draft status so far.

Secondary: Trufant is a stud but has a slight dip in play lately, but overall I would consider him a top 10 CB any day. Alford is above average and gets too many penalties. Keanu Neal at safety has been a revelation and is living up to his first round draft billing easily. He has taken his rookie hits such as when he was getting schooled by Olsen in the 4th quarter against the panthers but I have complete confidence in him to learn from these games each week because he has made just as many positive plays if not more. Poole was undrafted but has been one of the better nickel corners this year. Ricardo Allen at FS is a disaster and needs to be replaced badly.

Overall there is good young talent on every level of the defense and if they can become more cohesive as a unit and not play such soft zone they could easily step up their play next year. I'm expecting much better play as a lot of these guys go into their second and third years. I am definitely optimistic but I think I have decent reason to be.

They also don't have to be elite when the offense is so damn good, if they can get into even the middle of the pack this team could really make some noise.

The absolute worst defense to win a Super Bowl was the 2011 Giants and they gave up 25 points per game on average that season. They somehow managed to not let any team score more than 20 points the entire time in the playoffs.

I rechecked my numbers and the Atlanta Falcons are giving up an average of 28.77 points per game thus far this season through 9 games. So they'd have to significantly improve before the end of the season to even match the worst regular season defense in NFL history. Right now the Falcons have given up more points than any other team in the league.

It's fine to be optimistic about your future as a franchise but I wouldn't take certain things for granted. Matt Ryan is playing out of his mind right now and is the consensus MVP thus far but historically it's hard to think that him continuing to play that well is a sure thing.

For me personally, I just don't really see a "window" at all yet when Atlanta sports writers were even wondering if Matt Ryan would see an extension beyond his present contract before this season. Sadly we're all still living in New England's never ending window if anything....with an outside chance of Dallas or Denver winning it this year.

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak 11m11 minutes ago
Rex Ryan confirms he attended Game 7 of World Series in Cleveland. Calls it a "perfect situation" schedule wise. He took a bus with friends.

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak 10m10 minutes ago
Rex Ryan says he and about a dozen friends left during rain delay of Game 7 of World Series. "I hate to admit it," he says. He's a Cubs fan.

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak 9m9 minutes ago
Rex Ryan says the radio in the us he took to Cleveland wasn't working, so he couldn't hear call of Cubs' final out. Rob Ryan called him.

:rex

The absolute worst defense to win a Super Bowl was the 2011 Giants and they gave up 25 points per game on average that season. They somehow managed to not let any team score more than 20 points the entire time in the playoffs.

I rechecked my numbers and the Atlanta Falcons are giving up an average of 28.77 points per game thus far this season through 9 games. So they'd have to significantly improve before the end of the season to even match the worst regular season defense in NFL history. Right now the Falcons have given up more points than any other team in the league.

It's fine to be optimistic about your future as a franchise but I wouldn't take certain things for granted. Matt Ryan is playing out of his mind right now and is the consensus MVP thus far but historically it's hard to think that him continuing to play that well is a sure thing.

For me personally, I just don't really see a "window" at all yet when Atlanta sports writers were even wondering if Matt Ryan would see an extension beyond his present contract before this season. Sadly we're all still living in New England's never ending window if anything....with an outside chance of Dallas or Denver winning it this year.

The highlighted is why ratings are down.

Hindl

Treggs confirmed to be active Sunday. Douggy said that he would've play even if Huff was still on the roster.

That's definitely bullshit. Earlier in the week he said Huff was playing Sunday, and Treggs wasn't even activated. I get why he said that though

Pepiope

That's definitely bullshit. Earlier in the week he said Huff was playing Sunday, and Treggs wasn't even activated. I get why he said that though
Well I definitely could've seen him activating Treggs and inactivating Smallwood.

Though, ya. I kinda think it's bullshit too.

I can see where you are coming from but there is enough young or locked in talent on this offense to remain top 5 for the next couple of years even without Matt playing at a consensus MVP level. Atlanta sports writers may have given up on Matt Ryan in the past two years but plenty of Atlanta fans recognized that it was his first year in a new offense and if he has any signficant flaw it's that he absolutely needs good line protection to play at a high level. Give him that though and he is good enough to win a super bowl albeit with some defensive help. Having the center and tackle positions solidified has done wonders for him. Last year we were starting a center that shouldn't even have been in the league and he would botch assignments and snaps on a consistent basis.

He isn't as good as a guy like Rodgers for example because he needs more help than him but a ton of our offensive talent is locked in and young so I don't see any real reason for a sharp decline on that side of the ball in the immediate future. Even if his passing acumen takes a step back this offense is extremely balanced and can lean more on the running game with Freeman and Coleman who are both dynamic runners and pass catchers.

Obviously winning a super bowl is unlikely regardless because only one team walks away with the trophy at the end of the season but I do believe this Falcons team is a more likely contender than previous iterations if our young guys on defense progress in the next year or two like I think they will.

Edit: and yeah NE is always looming it definitely isn't fun thinking that if you are the NFC team to make it to the super bowl you still have to go against Belichick...
Also just for the record because I'm not sure it was clear but I definitely don't think this is our year, the defense is way too young and still learning.

I just saw this on ESPN.

GOOD NEWS FOR DENVER'S SUPER BOWL HOPES?

Per ESPN Stats & Info, the Broncos have pressured opposing QBs on a league-high 41 percent of dropbacks this season. Each of the last two teams to pressure QBs on more than a third of dropbacks went on to win the Super Bowl

41 percent. I love this defense. This more than makes up for the late-Shannahan years where they were constantly near the bottom of the league in terms of sacks.

The Panthers would have beaten the Patriots in the Super Bowl last year

Stupid Dolphins winning stupid Week 17 games took away our chance to get Jake's Revenge.

#banchris
#butkeepYanetandthecheerleaders

Bread

Banned

Stupid Dolphins winning stupid Week 17 games took away our chance to get Jake's Revenge.

#banchris
Malcolm would have ascended to God status if he went up against Cam.

Tom Penny

#banchris
Dolphins were too good that day. They totally shut down Steven Jackson in arguably Belichicks dumbest game plan in history:(

Top Bottom