• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

cdyhybrid

This whole insane argument started with bionic saying that EA has terrible artists in relation to the new mass effect game. So I think it is relevant that realistic environments are more difficult for videogames to portray.

I would say that something like this:

hfuCMrl.png

is more impressive artistically then something like this:

cCxuYhx.png

Art is subjective, friend.

yankee, do you think madden 17's art style is more impressive than wind waker's

Are you feeling alright today? I have never in my life seen anyone hold up yearly sports games as an example of great art in videogames. Breads gonna find himself out of the boners club at this rate.

It can look like that, but that's mostly due to weather effects. There's a lot of haze in the game which sometimes makes it look really flat. But other times it looks incredible. Like this for example

Yeah when it is raining or foggy it does detract from the visuals. There are a lot of weather effects too.

bionic77

Art is subjective, friend.
Taste is subjective.

I don't agree that art is.

Yankee sorry you picked a bad example of Mass Effect. Please give us some other examples of what you feel to be great art in a game so I can continue to respect your opinion on art because you seem to be a good person otherwise.

Hindl

Yeah when it is raining or foggy it does detract from the visuals. There are a lot of weather effects too.

I actually love the look of the game when it's raining/storming at night. They nailed the feel of being outside in the rain with that stuff going on, and the flashes when lightning strikes are really good. It doesn't look top-notch, but really evokes the atmosphere the game should have when there's a thunderstorm outside

Taste is subjective.

I don't agree that art is.

Yankee sorry you picked a bad example of Mass Effect. Please give us some other examples of what you feel to be great art in a game so I can continue to respect your opinion on art because you seem to be a good person otherwise.

You honestly dont think that the pics I posted are examples of good art? This is an elaborate troll, right?

MechDX

Tim Kawakami‏Verified account @timkawakami 8m8 minutes ago
More
The more I talk to people around this, the more obvious it becomes: Jerry Jones is driving every bit of this...

As I said yesterday, through his marketing company--Legends--Jones will have some sway over the Rams, Chargers, 49ers and Raiders...

Legends will handle suites and sponsorships for the Las Vegas stadium, including potentially the largest naming rights deal ever...

It is estimated that Legends/Jones' take from the combined Rams/Chargers/49ers/Raiders new stadium activity: Hundreds of millions.

Most remarkable thing (to me) is Jones/Legends will get hundreds of millions of out this, while taking none of the financial risk.

How is this type of shit allowed? Are the rest of the league owners that spineless?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I have never seen mass effect games as artistically impressive. Tech is impressive though.

Journey is a game that I saw as both. Pixel Junk Eden I think is a good example of aristically impressive with simplistic graphics.

Sanjuro

To each their own then I guess. Thankfully the Trumps/Pats fans have not taken away our freedoms yet.

He isn't THAT bad. I mean, you probably can't even name one thing bad he has done so far. Just name one!

I'm going to drop my phone into a toliet and come back later.

Yeah it isnt like their was a "complete collection" to buy when you bought just half....

I bought Destiny at launch. I only bought it because I loved Halo so much and I was curious to see what Bungie would do next. I was not going to pay extra for an unknown game, and it was the right decision since that game was not good for a long time. Thankfully they have righted the ship and it feels like a much better game now. I was really close to buying rise of iron but I didnt due to ME coming out so close and knowing that I wont play any other game for a long time now. I hope that Destiny 2 launches much better then Destiny 1, but I do worry about extra content in a game like that.

bionic77

I have never seen mass effect games as artistically impressive. Tech is impressive though.

Journey is a game that I saw as both. Pixel Junk Eden I think is a good example of aristically impressive with simplistic graphics.
I think the two thing I admire most in visuals are consistency and then vision for the world they are trying to create.

When shit is just glued together it can take you out of a game.

Fantomex

Switch out for delivery! Zelda in my work backpack. Getting serviced during lunch break if it gets here in time.

Welcome to the servicing friend.

zelda looks like a fuckin painting lmao ea has nothing on that

One of the few times I'll agree with you Bread.

This whole insane argument started with bionic saying that EA has terrible artists in relation to the new mass effect game. So I think it is relevant that realistic environments are more difficult for videogames to portray.

Yankee. I see where you're going. But you have to understand my friend. Nebulas and Hazes have been done since Mass Effect 1. I know that doesn't take away that they're good looking, but I can't be impressed 10 years after just because they added more effects to the same formula.

Here is Mass Effect 1.

masseffect-pc-screenshot3_656x369.jpg

Followed by Mass Effect 3
3176984-m5.jpg

It's the same thing.

Here is Windwaker

Here is BOTW
2017022316202500-f1c11a22faee3b82f21b330e1b786a39-1488582375943_1280w.jpg

The biggest counter to your point is that with ME it's all fluff. I can't physically go to those nebulas or those far and distant spaceships. In Zelda, I just set a wayward point and I can actually physically go to that location. It actually exists. It's not just a High Resolution texture that's been wrapped in my draw distance field for looks.

bionic77

There's an art argument and Mass Effect is the focus? Pfft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCv_CObcaI

Horizon is mind blowing. Artistically, technically, etc. I'm 40 hours in and it's everything I can do to force myself not to play during the week while I work.
I also thought Mass Effect was a very weird game to argue about art.

We already mentioned Horizon, which from what I have seen might have the best graphics for any game ever made.

That said you don't really know what servicing is playing Horizon. That is the best looking game but Zelda fucking steals your soul and you may never get it back.

Top Bottom