• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

Sanjuro

Getting back to the gym today to complete my transformation from chubby east coast cuck to San Diego fit fiend

l4dPc5u.jpg

effzee

They had the Skip Bayless show on tv at work.

How the fuck does Shannon Sharpe have a job in tv?

This might shock you but people actually enjoy shows like First Take and other sports debate shows.

Networks don't just employ people if they aren't generating viewership/ratings.

RBH

Free-agent running back DeAngelo Williams is still "waiting on the phone call" to join a team for the 2017 season, but there are four teams that he'd rather not hear from.

Williams, who scored 17 touchdowns as Le'Veon Bell's backup for two seasons in Pittsburgh, told ESPN's Adam Schefter in his Know Them From Adam podcast that he'd rather not play for the Cleveland Browns, Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars or Dallas Cowboys.

While his reasons for not wanting to play for the Browns and Jaguars were business-related, they were purely personal regarding the Panthers and Cowboys.

He said the Panthers are on his do not call list because of the way they handled his release in 2015. He ran for 6,846 yards and 46 rushing TDs in his nine seasons with Carolina.

"I had no problems with getting fired, but there are things that went on there that I didn't like -- and I still don't like to this day," Williams told Schefter. "... There's no point in me going back there. You're an ex for a reason, right? You don't go back to exes, and that's just where I'm at there."

Williams, 34, who grew up as a fan of the San Francisco 49ers, wants nothing to do with the Cowboys -- mainly because of their fans.

"My fandom for the team I was raised as will not allow me to go to the Cowboys," Williams told Schefter. "I'm an '80s baby ... and the 49ers ruled the '80s. The Cowboys somewhat did something in the '90s; I even refuse to give them that. ...

"The Cowboys, they win. They just don't ever show up during the playoffs. They always disappear in the playoffs. I've got a great depiction of the Cowboys' fan base. During the regular season last year, they were on cloud nine. You couldn't tell them anything because they were going to win the 'ship -- that's all they said. Fans just got extremely super annoying. Then, the minute they lose, they either got cheated, somebody was hurt -- the excuses start flowing. It's just amazing to me. That fan base just in general can't handle defeat. Still, to this day, they say that the Dez Bryant catch against the Green Bay Packers was a catch!"

Williams understands if NFL fans are caught off guard by his blinding loyalty to his favorite team growing up.

"I'm a true fan, and I totally get it," Williams said. "And some would be like, 'You're stupid, you're crazy.' And then the fan base of the [Cowboys] is going be absolutely livid, but who cares? That's why we're fans."

Williams crossed off the Browns and Jaguars because he wants to go "where winning is something that's expected, not something that people get excited about."

"[The Browns] don't have a history of winning," Williams said. "I'm not sure about all of the championships they won before the Super Bowl was the Super Bowl, but in my lifetime, I haven't seen them have a winning season."

And the Jaguars?

"I can't think of anything positive about that organization outside of the fact that they have pools in the stadium," he said.

Williams made $4 million over two years with the Steelers, and he is open to returning to the team. A knee injury cost Williams nine games in 2016, but the veteran is now healthy and could start to draw interest as training camps approach in late July.

"I'm not ruling [Pittsburgh] out," he told Schefter in an earlier podcast.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ngelo-williams-lists-four-teams-want-play-for

lmao

Man my hate for trump has reached just insane levels. I got any email from my student loan company saying that are going to increase my payment by $500 a month, and then i saw that thread about the Trump tax plan killing the middle class. What a terrible time to be alive.

Milchjon

Man my hate for trump has reached just insane levels. I got any email from my student loan company saying that are going to increase my payment by $500 a month, and then i saw that thread about the Trump tax plan killing the middle class. What a terrible time to be alive.

wtf how much student loan debt do you have and why

Are those normal monthly payment numbers?

bionic77

Pats fans seem to be ok with it.

Apparently we are snowflakes Yankee.

At least you got your JCB card.

wtf how much student loan debt do you have and why

Are those normal monthly payment numbers?
I have about 100k, I basically finished a phd and I paid for undergrad and grad school with loans. I also took like 5 years after leaving college to find a career, and it wound up being one that pays very little so I got way behind on payments and such.

Pats fans seem to be ok with it.

Apparently we are snowflakes Yankee.

At least you got your JCB card.

Man I went into Zelda expecting it to be great but it is even better then I could have imagined so far. I am actually playing it in little doses since I dont want to get over serviced.

Milchjon

I have about 100k, I basically finished a phd and I paid for undergrad and grad school with loans. I also took like 5 years after leaving college to find a career, and it wound up being one that pays very little so I got way behind on payments and such.

Man I went into Zelda expecting it to be great but it is even better then I could have imagined so far. I am actually playing it in little doses since I dont want to get over serviced.

Damn, good luck!

bionic77

Thanks. It is crazy how much things can turn on you in a short period of time.

Man this pic sums the Kap situation up perfectly:

IMG_1482.thumb.JPG.ed587338996921e8c37fd4c8a365f57d.JPG
Told y'all about the NFL. This league stinks. I am not supporting a bunch of racists Trumpers.

I was right about Magic. I was right about Jordan. I was right about the Switch. And I will be right about this.

Never bet against a JCB.

tmdorsey

Told y'all about the NFL. This league stinks. I am not supporting a bunch of racists Trumpers.

I was right about Magic. I was right about Jordan. I was right about the Switch. And I will be right about this.

Never bet against a JCB.

I don't want you to be right about the league. I love football too much. :(

bionic77

I don't want you to be right about the league. I love football too much. :(
All they had to do was be decent people.

Instead they choose Trump and blackballed a man who silently protested the fact that no one gave a fuck when innocent black men died. Just bringing that up makes them mad. Tells you how fucking shitty they are.

I am not going to be part of that. The Trumpers can keep that bullshit.

Fox318

Thanks. It is crazy how much things can turn on you in a short period of time.

Man this pic sums the Kap situation up perfectly:

IMG_1482.thumb.JPG.ed587338996921e8c37fd4c8a365f57d.JPG

Kaep wants more money.
Kaep created a distraction that no team owner wants to deal with espically if he is just a back up.
He's in decline.
They would lose a ton of ticket holders.

I can't think of a single good reason why a team should hire him unless they think he can be the starter.

Nobody wants a backup to be seen.

bionic77

Kaep wants more money.
Kaep created a distraction that no team owner wants to deal with espically if he is just a back up.
He's in decline.
They would lose a ton of ticket holders.

I can't think of a single good reason why a team should hire him unless they think he can be the starter.

Nobody wants a backup to be seen.
Or maybe the NFL is kind of a shitty league and they are such shitty cowards they would rather blackball and ignore Kaep because half of their fanbase are assholes.

Fox318

Or maybe the NFL is kind of a shitty league and they are such shitty cowards they would rather blackball and ignore Kaep because half of their fanbase are assholes.

I'm not denying that but I can't think of a single team that would or should hire him.

Its clear that league owners didn't want an openly gay man on their team and Goodell suck up Jeff Fisher did the league a favor.

Steelers might be the only franchise that would be a good fit for him to hide but you don't hear any rumblings there because they don't sign free agents.

Fitz has been a backup on multiple teams and a starter on multiple teams and nobody is going to scream he should be the starter in the offseason. He is a perfect backup in that regard.

bionic77

I'm not denying that but I can't think of a single team that would or should hire him.

Its clear that league owners didn't want an openly gay man on their team and Goodell suck up Jeff Fisher did the league a favor.

Steelers might be the only franchise that would be a good fit for him to hide but you don't hear any rumblings there because they don't sign free agents.

Fitz has been a backup on multiple teams and a starter on multiple teams and nobody is going to scream he should be the starter in the offseason. He is a perfect backup in that regard.
Fitz has stolen a lot of jobs and later earned contracts that teams later regretted. I don't think he is a good counter example to why Keep is not getting a chance to play in the NFL.

The NFL actually lost a lot of many and racist fans because of Kaep's highly offensive stance that people should perhaps give a fuck about innocent black men being killed (I know, I know, its a little extreme for America).

You make some good points but bottomline he would have a job or at least have some teams looking at him except for the fact that he is controversial and the reason he is controversial says a lot about this league. None of it good.

Hindl

Yeah, the league is obviously pieces of shit, but Kaep is bad as a backup purely for the media circus he brings with him. The only way you'd risk that heat is to bring him on as a starter/bridge while your young rookie adjusts to the NFL. And what teams fit that criteria? The Jets, with their owner being a noted Trump supporter and piece of shit? The Bears threw money at Glennon, the Browns have plenty of QBs to fill that spot, the Texans have Savage, the Chiefs have Smith, and pretty much every other team has a QB in place. Ironically the 9ers fit all this criteria but they just cut him.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Fitz has stolen a lot of jobs and later earned contracts that teams later regretted. I don't think he is a good counter example to why Keep is not getting a chance to play in the NFL.

The NFL actually lost a lot of many and racist fans because of Kaep's highly offensive stance that people should perhaps give a fuck about innocent black men being killed (I know, I know, its a little extreme for America).

You make some good points but bottomline he would have a job or at least have some teams looking at him except for the fact that he is controversial and the reason he is controversial says a lot about this league. None of it good.

Teams have looked at him. We don't know his asking cost. He might want far too much for backup money. I sincerely doubt anybody wants him as a starter.

bionic77

Teams have looked at him. We don't know his asking cost. He might want far too much for backup money. I sincerely doubt anybody wants him as a starter.
Weird.

You would think that teams would make a counter offer like everyone does in every other sport or business.

But I guess he wants possibly too much money so can't even consider him!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Steelers? Please. We all know that Pittsburgh demands elite athleticism in their backup qbs.

giphy.gif

Pepiope

Yeah, the league is obviously pieces of shit, but Kaep is bad as a backup purely for the media circus he brings with him. The only way you'd risk that heat is to bring him on as a starter/bridge while your young rookie adjusts to the NFL. And what teams fit that criteria? The Jets, with their owner being a noted Trump supporter and piece of shit? The Bears threw money at Glennon, the Browns have plenty of QBs to fill that spot, the Texans have Savage, the Chiefs have Smith, and pretty much every other team has a QB in place. Ironically the 9ers fit all this criteria but they just cut him.
Philly would've made sense. I wonder if Foles was cheaper, and then you do have the connection between Foles and Philly already there, so that could play a role.

RBH

Spent all day at O'Hare airport due to weather delaying and cancelling so many flights.

I don't get many days off in general in the first place, so yeah, today can go fuck off

Top Bottom