• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

Oh god Francessor ultimate troll at the moment. :jnc

"Rex is like the kid who goes to court after knocking off his parents and says, "I'm an orphan, judge""

Wes

venison crêpe
Jets should blow it all up. Trade all the veterans for draft picks. Next year though - this year sucks - and start young when you can be free of Rex and Sanchez

They're not going to do anything with that current group.

brentech

Packers-GAF: Who comes back next year?

[ ] Woodson
[X] Finley
[X] Hawk
[X] Crosby
[ ] Jennings
[ ] Driver
[ ] Buckethead
Assuming they don't retain Woodson, they might try to make a deal with Jennings, I just don't think he'll be willing to accept anything we offer.

LOL

"After four years of screwing up the offense, Rex says at the pool last week - it came to him how to run the offense.

Folks if you figure out what was slipped to Rex at the pool, let me know. He apparently learned to run the offense at the pool last week!"

Amazing. Fat man on fire.

eznark

Banned
Are they all in contract years? I assume Driver will retire and if Woodson still has a contract I'm not sure why they'd let him walk.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Jets should blow it all up. Trade all the veterans for draft picks. Next year though - this year sucks - and start young when you can be free of Rex and Sanchez

They're not going to do anything with that current group.

This draft is plenty deep, it just doesn't have the marquee guys at the top. It's not like they're going to be able to get someone's top 10 pick with anything on that roster.

Godslay

Banned
Ravens win this week. I feel it. The last time I felt this way, we walked into Adelphia Coliseum and became the first team to beat the Titans there. We won the Superbowl.

What are your keys to the game? I'm hearing a lot about how Ravens fans feel they can do it, but little in the way of how they will get it done.

squicken

I really thought that would all come back to win a championship. I thought this year being the first true champion would be a big deal to guys.

Really interested to see what Sumlin can do. Looks like he is recruiting well, but at UH it was Briles guys, and at A&M it was Sherman's. But with Joekel, I guess I see it. Matthews' family is loaded so I doubt he wants for anything. Different story for most players

[x] Woodson
[x] Finley
[x] Hawk
[x] Crosby
[x] Jennings
[x] Driver
[ ] Buckethead

LOL

"After four years of screwing up the offense, Rex says at the pool last week - it came to him how to run the offense.

Folks if you figure out what was slipped to Rex at the pool, let me know. He apparently learned to run the offense at the pool last week!"

Amazing. Fat man on fire.
so good.

What are your keys to the game? I'm hearing a lot about how Ravens fans feel they can do it, but little in the way of how they will get it done.

50 touches for the RBs and no passes by Flacco. They also need Manning to have a terrible game and throw a bunch of picks.

Are they all in contract years? I assume Driver will retire and if Woodson still has a contract I'm not sure why they'd let him walk.

2013 Contracts:
Woodson - $9 million
Finley - $8 million
Hawk - $11 million

Matthews is making $3.3 million this year. lolz

We can do very little, and I feel it's all due to Peyton. We can't and have never been able to stop him. Your pass rush will kill Flacco. Also, it's Flacco on the road.

Having said that, I don't know why, but I still feel like they can do it. We'll have to play a flawless game and get some ST help, but it's possible.

So even though we have little chance....Avatar bet through superbowl?

50 touches for the RBs and no passes by Flacco. They also need Manning to have a terrible game and throw a bunch of picks.

This works too, but I'd say 30 carries Rice, 20 carries Pierce.

Also Jennings doesn't want the $10-million a year franchise tag. (Bitch).

We have about $11 million in cap space at the moment.

Holy shit, really? That's on the level of Corey Webster making 9 million next season....
Yeah, I know. It'll be restructured or he's gone. I could see him losing the starting job next year to boot.

brentech

Woodson
9/9/2010: Signed a five-year, $55 million contract. The deal included $21 million in advances and bonuses. 2012: $6.5 million (+ $4 million roster bonus due in April + $1 million in per-game roster bonuses + $1.063 million in possible incentives), 2013-2014: $6.5 million (+ $2.5 million roster bonus + $1 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: Free Agent

Driver and Jennings the only ones to become FA.
I guess if they really think wood will be able to stay healthy they won't try to do anything with him.

I must be missing something on Hawks deal
3/3/2011: Signed a five-year, $33.75 million contract. The deal included an $8 million signing bonus and a $1.8 million roster bonus in the first season. Annual $250,000 workout bonuses are available in years two through five. 2012: $4.4 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus), 2013: $4.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus), 2014: $4.9 million (+ $800,000 roster bonus), 2015: $5.4 million (+ $800,000 roster bonus), 2016: Free Agent

Don't forget Matthews and Raji all need new deals after 2013, Rodgers after 2014.

Not just about re-signing.

It's about (1) Staying competitive (2) Building the team.

eznark

Banned
2013 Contracts:
Woodson - $9 million
Finley - $8 million
Hawk - $11 million

Matthews is making $3.3 million this year. lolz

Didn't Hawk just sign that deal a year ago? He'll be back for sure.

Jennings, Driver, and Nick Collins being off the books will free like $13m I think.

Here are all the Packers free agents: http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/green-bay-packers/

I assume the only real push to bring anyone back will be EDS, DaJuan Harris and maybe Shields.

ChanHuk

Banned
So is Manti Te'o still considered a first round pick? Granted both of Bamas guards are considered first rounders as well, he just couldn't play up to the talent of the top LB in the draft.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I know. It'll be restructured or he's gone. I could see him losing the starting job next year to boot.

Hawk's cap number is only $6.5m where do you get $11m from? It stays at $6.5 for the rest of the contract it looks like as well.

Packers will gain another $4m from Saturday. Forgot about that.

[X] Woodson
[ ] Finley
[X] Hawk
[ ] Crosby
[ ] Jennings
[ ] Driver
[ ] Buckethead
Finley and Crosby are toast. Driver will retire. Jennings will get 2x the money elsewhere. Buckethead will squicken to a less mainstream team like the Bills.

Didn't Hawk already restructure last offseason? I expect Woodson will too.

Hawk's cap number is only $6.5m where do you get $11m from? It stays at $6.5 for the rest of the contract it looks like as well.
Hmm, guess I was wrong on that one.
All I'm finding is that he made $11 mil in 2011.

Don't know why I had that # stuck in my craw.

Godslay

Banned
We can do very little, and I feel it's all due to Peyton. We can't and have never been able to stop him. Your pass rush will kill Flacco. Also, it's Flacco on the road.

Having said that, I don't know why, but I still feel like they can do it. We'll have to play a flawless game and get some ST help, but it's possible.

So even though we have little chance....Avatar bet through superbowl?

I'd agree that it is possible for you guys to win. I think that Flacco has to come out and score and don't look back. Then the defense will have to be able to slow Peyton down enough to stay ahead. I think this it has to be a big game for Flacco for them to do it. If the Denver offense is able to get into rhythm, run an effective no huddle, and get a lead, it's going to be tough for Baltimore to catch up barring any mistakes by Denver.

As far as the avatar bet, I made my last avatar bet this season with the Gator. Hanging on to this one until the end of the season.

Too much running stuffing on the D. I think it has to be done through the air for them to win.

Striker

Yeah that AJ Hawk contract is going to get reworked again.
They can be worked once per year; when was he restructured before?

Lot of Giant players will be asked to restructure or paycut, otherwise they're out. Chris Snee I'm hoping can be reduced a smidge, but he cannot restructure again until September I believe.

eznark

Banned
Hmm, guess I was wrong on that one.
All I'm finding is that he made $11 mil in 2011.

Don't know why I had that stuck in my craw.

Yeah, he got that huge $8.5m bonus to restructure. That's off the books though. That was a one time cap hit.

Sportrac does a really nice job laying out salaries, cap hits and bonuses on a year to year basis. It doesn't look like the Packers will ever have any issues signing anyone they want to keep unless they just decides they want to go elsewhere.

jakncoke

Banned
So is Manti Te'o still considered a first round pick? Granted both of Bamas guards are considered first rounders as well, he just couldn't play up to the talent of the top LB in the draft.

He'll more than likely find himself somewhere in the 1st, Im pretty sure if he hopes of going high that's gone now. Unless someone dumb reaches

brentech

Basically Matthews and J.Jones are the biggest guys to go FA in 2014. Pickett 33 now, I'm guess when his contract expires then he retires?

While half the team would go FA in 2015.
So there's time to rework some deals and resign these guys.

I'd agree that it is possible for you guys to win. I think that Flacco has to come out and score and don't look back. Then the defense will have to be able to slow Peyton down enough to stay ahead. I think this it has to be a big game for Flacco for them to do it. If the Denver offense is able to get into rhythm, run an effective no huddle, and get a lead, it's going to be tough for Baltimore to catch up barring any mistakes by Denver.

I forgot about one key to the game; Ray Lewis Retirement Magic. Baltimore sports teams are relying heavily on mystifying, intangible forces that that defy statistics, reality, and Joe Flacco.

Orioles did it with magic, Ravens must do the same.

squicken said:
Do you agree? Offense seemed pretty inconsistent this year. It's always hard to think of a 4-3 team really needing LBs since they can be found in later rounds
I agree we need linebacker help, yes but not in the early rounds. We won Super Bowls with completely average linebacker play. The problem is right now we lack even AVERAGE linebackers.

Boley's play dropped off significantly as the year went on. He's due big money is 2013 so decisions have to be made. Blackburn is what he is. Old and non-athletic but a fighter. Kiwi belongs on the defensive line. Keith Rivers spent more time injured than playing. Herzlich isn't ready for a significant role and Paysinger is a special teams guy. Right now the only one with the arrow pointing up is Jacquan Williams who is likely to replace Boley if he moves on. I think LB'er can be addressed in later rounds (Williams is a 6th rounder for instance) and/or FA. My preference is to address either the defensive line, offensive line or cornerback early in the draft. I plan to do a more in-depth by position post in the offseason prior to draft to really get down and dirty on needs.

As for the offensive inconsistency, I've covered some of those issues already and I'll reiterate where I think the problem areas were:

- RT/RG position needs to be addressed. Not to keep using Diehl as a punching bag but the level of drop off between he and Locklear was substantial in pass protection (though it can be argued he was better in the run game). With Locklear's injury, it's doubtful he comes back. RT is a MAJOR need. Chris Snee is also hitting a wall and the days of him being an dominant guard are behind him.

The Giants offensive line still managed to allow the least amount of sacks in the league so it's not as though the line needs major retooling but the right side must be addressed and when discussing the lack of sacks, you can't ignore Eli's pocket presence and movement helping in that regard.

Add to the fact that both Beatty and Boothe are big FA's that need to be resigned and the question of offensive line stability is a big one.

- The loss of Hakeem Nicks proved a big blow in 2012. He was never healthy all season long and he never developed the timing with Eli that was on display in 2010/2011. This really hurt the offensive production against more quality opponents. Anyone that tells you Cruz is the Giants #1 receiver doesn't watch Giants football, IMO.

- Musical chairs at third wide receiver. The loss of Manningham was also significant in that the Giants tried several pieces to replace him but never settled on one. This goes back to the question of timing and trust in this offense that Eli needs to have. We alternated between Hixon, Barden and Randle at various times of the year. I think Randle won the job after he showed flashes all season long and especially in that last game against the Eagles. Settling the 3rd WR position right from beginning of camp in 2013 will settle some of the inconsistencies you mentioned and Randle is, IMO the best option. He lacks Mannnigham's speed but he makes up for it in size and his route running is starting to really come along (Manningham's big weakness).

I'm far less worried about the offense than the defense. The defense needs a major infusion of youth at several key positions, IMO.

ChanHuk

Banned
He'll more than likely find himself somewhere in the 1st, Im pretty sure if he hopes of going high that's gone now. Unless someone dumb reaches

He's not gonna go to your fraud defense. I think last night proved he can't play in a base 3-4. He's still better than that criminal McClain.

Too much running stuffing on the D. I think it has to be done through the air for them to win.

So you are saying they have no chance. Flacco looked so bad against the Colts and the Denver defense is lightyears better then the Colts, and the crowd is going to be going crazy. I just dont see how he has a good game.

eznark

Banned
Basically Matthews and J.Jones are the biggest guys to go FA in 2014. Pickett 33 now, I'm guess when his contract expires then he retires?

While half the team would go FA in 2015.
So there's time to rework some deals and resign these guys.

Zero chance they resign Jones. If they keep Finley after this season I assume they would try to work out a deal with him, which means they'd have to resign both Matthews and Finley. I doubt that happens. I think the Packers will focus on extending Rodgers, Matthews and Raji over the next couple seasons and tell everyone else to pound sand.

Zero chance they resign Jones.
I don't think so either just on the basis of talent but like Jordy, I don't think the guy gives too much of a shit about money.
He is a team-player and just wants to ball. He was happy as a pig in mud with his other deal.

eznark

Banned
I don't think so either just on the basis of talent but like Jordy, I don't think the guy gives too much of a shit about money.
He is a team-player and just wants to ball. He was happy as a pig in mud with his other deal.

I'm thinking of it from TT's perspective honestly. I just don't think he values James Jones that much. Rodgers will probably lobby for him, but Rodgers makes receivers awesome so I give no shits.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Something for Packer fans to think about:

BTSC said:
Three keys to maintaining success in the salary-cap restricted NFL:

Get a franchise quarterback

Maintain a core group of roughly 11-14 players to whom you give extensions and build around them

Fill in the rest of the contributing team with rookies/inexpensive rookies, and select veteran free agents

Godslay

Banned
I forgot about one key to the game; Ray Lewis Retirement Magic. Baltimore sports teams are relying heavily on mystifying, intangible forces that that defy statistics, reality, and Joe Flacco.

Orioles did it with magic, Ravens must do the same.

Can't rule that out, then again we do have Mile High Magic to counter it. Who knows?

So you are saying they have no chance. Flacco looked so bad against the Colts and the Denver defense is lightyears better then the Colts, and the crowd is going to be going crazy. I just dont see how he has a good game.

They will always have a chance. Flacco just can't be bad Flacco. He has to be good to great Flacco similar to who he was in last years AFC Championship game. If he can get rolling and give his D a little breathing room, then I'm sure they can pull it off. They did get plenty of pressure last game, and did do a decent job (for awhile anyways) of slowing down the offense. Put a good to great Flacco together with a defense that is slowing down Peyton and you've got a win. Getting it done is the hard part, but it is possible, especially if Denver comes out flat.

Top Bottom