• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

Why is FMT and the rest of 9ers GAF so quiet? They've been vocal all year. A little nervous that you're facing the best post season QB ever, perhaps? Or that your best cheater will be out or gimped? Or that you couldnt even beat the St Louis Rams once this season? Or that over the past few weeks your team has gotten progressively worse while the Packers have steadily improved?

tmdorsey

Listening to some AM radio here in Atlanta.
Someone on 790 just tried to rationalize calling this regular season for the Falcons "undefeated" because they won all the games that "mattered," despite the fact there is a "3" in the loss column and that ALL three losses came to divisional opponents.
What is this I dont even

I was listening this morning too and he wasn't calling the regular season undefeated, he was saying they were basically undefeated at home cause the Tampa game didn't matter since everything was clinched. He did go overboard but don't misconstrue what he said.

Bowser

Reposting from above, here's my summary of the Rex and Woody press conference:

- Woody apologizes for delay in media availability. Says they are right to be angry with the delay and he takes the blame for it.
- They have a "professional" process in place for their GM search. It's ongoing
- Rex says this is a new beginning and he's approaching the season as if he were a new head coach
- They are in search for a new offensive and defensive coordinator. Makes it pretty clear that Mike Pettine is moving on.
- "I want a physical, aggressive, attack style of football team," Rex Ryan says. Says he's done a poor job of implementing that.
- He wants an "all weather" offense. Ground and pound fit the teams identity before. Now he wants an "attack" team on offense. If that means running the pistol or whatever, he's fine with that. Everything is on the table and he wants "unpredictability".
- He wants to lean on the new GM and get this thoughts moving forward.
- Rex says "ink's not dry" on new DC. Sounds like an in-house candidate will get it. Dennis Thurman possibly?
- Asked if they can run that type of offense with Sanchez at QB? He says they need a GM and OC in place before answering player questions.
- Woody was asked if part of the GM search included the candidate being told that Rex must be the coach in moving forward? Woody said yes. He believes in Rex and GM must work with him.
- Rex "I'm sure I'll have the same agenda as the new GM. I look at this as a new beginning" (really sounds like Rex is not going anywhere any time soon)
- Rex "You're not going to want to play the NY Jets. I know the mentality this team will have"
- No decisions on players until the OC and GM are in place. Neither will say Sanchez is the QB moving forward or what will happen with Tebow.
- Rex asked if 2013 is a lame duck season for him. He says he doesn't look at that way and hes excited for this new beginning. "In many ways, I'm in a better position than 31 other guys. I have an owner that is committed to winning and loves this football team"
- Why after four years have you not imprinted you style on the offense, Rex? "That's a good question and I've failed in that regard. I've absolutely failed". Said the ground and pound view was what was best for the team at the time. Goes back to using the term unpredictable on offense.
- If you haven't been able to do it for four years - what makes you think you can do it now, Rex? "It HAS to get done. I've failed to this point but I have confidence in myself and that we will succeed"
- Woody doesn't want to go into what he's looking for in a GM. Wants someone to "guide us to the next level".
- If a new GM comes in and says "Mark Sanchez isn't the starting QB" what will you two say to that considering he's one of your highest paid players? Rex responds "I'd say yes. Money will have nothing to do with the evaluation of the player". Woody agrees. "We're looking for the best player." QB position is wide open.
- Woody "There's no mandate" for Ryan HAVING to make the playoffs to keep his job.
- Woody "I have ultimate confidence in Rex as a leader, motivator, and even playcaller if he has to do it"
- Rex asked "You said when Tony was hired that it was like looking at a mirror, did you miscalculate?" Rex responds "No, I don't think miscalculated. I think there will be personnel changes and what not but maybe I misjudged the whole ground and pound philosophy and I need to be more open minded. We have players capable of playing with that mentality."
- More coaching staff changes are not out of the question.
- Asked if the team has enough talent to go to the Super Bowl in 2014 (since its at Metlife). Rex was very reserved in his response saying "We have a lot of work to do to get there".
- Rex basically saying that losing Santonio and other key pieces on defense (Revis) affected the team.
- Says Pettine won't be back because he has other opportunities (uh huh).
- Rex was asked if he was concerned about getting fired. "Yes. I knew last season wasn't good enough. 6-10 wasn't close to Mr. Johnson's expectations were. Absolutely I was concerned"
- Woody asked about the cap. He thinks the flexibility with the cap is great and we can do things to get that down. We'll do everything we can to get this team on track.
- Rex asked about the tattoo "There's a question about whether its real or not, I'll keep you guessing". Jokes that if Sanchez doesn't play better that number is changing!

Nice summary. A couple of comments on the bolded.

*That's likely a multi-year project. To completely change the offense into an unpredictable, pistol/shotgun style air-it-out attack means A LOT of personnel changes. Sounds like unless Rex goes something like 2-14 next year, he's the Jets coach for the near future.

*In-house candidate for DC may be DL coach Jim Tomsula. There were talks that if Gamble was hired he might even want to elevate Tomsula from DL coach to HC in place of Rex next year. Could see the Jets hanging on to him by offering him a promotion.

*Sanchez is clearly out of a job. I expect the Jets to draft a rookie QB in the first or second round and let him sit and learn for at least the first half of next year.

*Pettine has already been asked to interview for the Bills DC job. Think he ends up there.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Not unacceptable enough to switch browsers though! I love the cross device syncing with my Google account.

I'm on my phone so I can't bring it up bit search the OT, someone posted a way to fix the gif problem in chrome. I tried it and it works pretty well.

Greg

Why is FMT and the rest of 9ers GAF so quiet? They've been vocal all year. A little nervous that you're facing the best post season QB ever, perhaps? Or that your best cheater will be out or gimped? Or that you couldnt even beat the St Louis Rams once this season? Or that over the past few weeks your team has gotten progressively worse while the Packers have steadily improved?
They spent all their energy cheering for the Vikings.

brentech

I'm on my phone so I can't bring it up bit search the OT, someone posted a way to fix the gif problem in chrome. I tried it and it works pretty well.
Didn't seem to help at all on my notebook. Just a cheapo laptop so whatever.
Gifs seem to load and play pretty quick on my Nexus7

I was listening this morning too and he wasn't calling the regular season undefeated, he was saying they were basically undefeated at home cause the Tampa game didn't matter since everything was clinched. He did go overboard but don't misconstrue what he said.

Okay. Must have missed the home part, so I was kind of in disbelief. Thanks for the clarification...
Though, I was in the dome for the loss to Tampa, and despite its importance (or lack thereof), that was not a good look.

tmdorsey

Okay. Must have missed the home part, so I was kind of in disbelief. Thanks for the clarification...
Though, I was in the dome for the loss to Tampa, and despite its importance (or lack thereof), that was not a good look.

Yeah so was I and that game just had a weird vibe around it all together. It felt like a preseason game to me.

eznark

Banned
Jets press conference said:
If you haven't been able to do it for four years - what makes you think you can do it now, Rex? "It HAS to get done. I've failed to this point but I have confidence in myself and that we will succeed"

So fucking dumb. He has no idea. Why will it work now? Because it has to!

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm a bit surprised the Jets are seemingly so willing to let Pettine walk so easily. He must really want out.

I'm a bit surprised the Jets are seemingly so willing to let Pettine walk so easily. He must really want out.

They have to let everyone go. There were a slew of leaks from the JEts organization. You have to remove the offenders or If Rex is to retain any authority.

Yeah so was I and that game just had a weird vibe around it all together. It felt like a preseason game to me.

I enjoyed the game since it was daughter's first game and she had fun so that was all that really mattered for me. We left at the beginning of the 4th quarter though.

bionic77

I'm with you there.

He did destroy Tebow though so he is good in my book.
What happened to you Fox?

You used to be good people. Remember how we used to team up to shit on the Pats? Remember that amazing win over them in the playoffs where the Jets made Brady look like a washed up woman?

What happened to you? Now you are a gigantic evil asshole who hates Tebow.

This betrayal to Tebow is the worst thing I have ever seen in sports and I hope the Jets continue to suck for all time. I am going to laugh loudest when you overspend for Wallace despite not being able to afford him or having a qb who can throw the ball.

eznark

Banned
The Jets need to just hunker down and rebuild that roster. It's not like they are on the cusp of greatness. You put that team up against any random .500 team in football and how many positions are they superior at? Corner and maybe a line spot or two?

Woody probably doesn't want to fire Rex because he knows his team is hopeless and Rex is the only thing capable of getting them attention.

brentech

The Jets need another HBO special to get their "swagger" back.
DzFGQ.gif

squicken

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I don't believe Rex is the problem. He just needs an OC that's worth a damn.

Sanchez has to go, though.

Bears said this about Lovie for 10 years. If the head coach feels the offense's job is not to lose the game for his awesome defense, then that is exactly the kind of offense he will get

Bears said this about Lovie for 10 years. If the head coach feels the offense's job is not to lose the game for his awesome defense, then that is exactly the kind of offense he will get

This is what I'm worried about when I see the direction the Rams are heading. I just hope Bradford continues to progress next season

Link

The Autumn Wind
The Jets need to just hunker down and rebuild that roster. It's not like they are on the cusp of greatness. You put that team up against any random .500 team in football and how many positions are they superior at? Corner and maybe a line spot or two?

Woody probably doesn't want to fire Rex because he knows his team is hopeless and Rex is the only thing capable of getting them attention.
ESPN New York says this is actually possible.

The Jets will be about $25 million over the projected $121 million cap. They can get under the cap by cutting veterans Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Jason Smith and Eric Smith, but it wouldn't leave them much wiggle room. Between those cuts, and the number of unrestricted free agents on the roster, the Jets could go into free agency with only 10 starters under contract.

Well, what I'm saying is that I think Rex knows he can't think that way, but at the same time isn't the greatest offensive mind. Which is where a strong OC comes into play.

Talon

If I'm an owner looking at a rebuild job, I don't understand the point of holding onto a lame duck HC to see it through unless a) I don't want to be pay two guys at the same time or b) I won't be able to get a premier guy.

eznark

Banned
If I'm an owner looking at a rebuild job, I don't understand the point of holding onto a lame duck HC to see it through unless a) I don't want to be pay two guys at the same time or b) I won't be able to get a premier guy.

He isn't looking to just rebuild a team, he is also looking for headlines. He didn't bring Tebow in to play football, he brought him in to be a circus. Same reason he keeps Rex.

c) the HC is a loudmouth that gets the team a ton of undeserved attention.

squicken

This is what I'm worried about when I see the direction the Rams are heading. I just hope Bradford continues to progress next season

It was definitely the case early in the year. Fisher was playing for FGs and it cost them games. But by the end of the year I thought they were getting really aggressive in the RZ. I think part of it was they realized they were never going to be able to run it in and had to throw.

The two non-QB related killers for the offense was the awful field position (courtesy of bottom ranked ST) and Amendola getting hurt. I looked at his numbers before he had the plantar fasciitis injury, and it's striking how much better he and the offense were performing relative to the rest of the year. I know he seems Mr Glass-like, but I still hope they re-sign him

DSmalls84

Kinda crazy for the Jets to be so far over cap. Didn't Holmes and Sanchez just get pretty large long term extensions? Hopefully they do rebuild though, then I wont have to listen to my friend talk about how awesome Shonn Green is when he has a good game against the Bills...

squicken

Joekel going pro, Matthews gonna stay. Smart by Matthews probably. Show NFL he can play LT and move up, struggle a bit and still plenty of reason to think he'd be fine at RT

Joekel going pro, Matthews gonna stay. Smart by Matthews probably. Show NFL he can play LT and move up, struggle a bit and still plenty of reason to think he'd be fine at RT

I really thought that would all come back to win a championship. I thought this year being the first true champion would be a big deal to guys.

Ravens win this week. I feel it. The last time I felt this way, we walked into Adelphia Coliseum and became the first team to beat the Titans there. We won the Superbowl.

Wrayfield

Reposting from above, here's my summary of the Rex and Woody press conference:

- Woody apologizes for delay in media availability. Says they are right to be angry with the delay and he takes the blame for it.
- They have a "professional" process in place for their GM search. It's ongoing
- Rex says this is a new beginning and he's approaching the season as if he were a new head coach
- They are in search for a new offensive and defensive coordinator. Makes it pretty clear that Mike Pettine is moving on.
- "I want a physical, aggressive, attack style of football team," Rex Ryan says. Says he's done a poor job of implementing that.
- He wants an "all weather" offense. Ground and pound fit the teams identity before. Now he wants an "attack" team on offense. If that means running the pistol or whatever, he's fine with that. Everything is on the table and he wants "unpredictability".
- He wants to lean on the new GM and get this thoughts moving forward.
- Rex says "ink's not dry" on new DC. Sounds like an in-house candidate will get it. Dennis Thurman possibly?
- Asked if they can run that type of offense with Sanchez at QB? He says they need a GM and OC in place before answering player questions.
- Woody was asked if part of the GM search included the candidate being told that Rex must be the coach in moving forward? Woody said yes. He believes in Rex and GM must work with him.
- Rex "I'm sure I'll have the same agenda as the new GM. I look at this as a new beginning" (really sounds like Rex is not going anywhere any time soon)
- Rex "You're not going to want to play the NY Jets. I know the mentality this team will have"
- No decisions on players until the OC and GM are in place. Neither will say Sanchez is the QB moving forward or what will happen with Tebow.
- Rex asked if 2013 is a lame duck season for him. He says he doesn't look at that way and hes excited for this new beginning. "In many ways, I'm in a better position than 31 other guys. I have an owner that is committed to winning and loves this football team"
- Why after four years have you not imprinted you style on the offense, Rex? "That's a good question and I've failed in that regard. I've absolutely failed". Said the ground and pound view was what was best for the team at the time. Goes back to using the term unpredictable on offense.
- If you haven't been able to do it for four years - what makes you think you can do it now, Rex? "It HAS to get done. I've failed to this point but I have confidence in myself and that we will succeed"
- Woody doesn't want to go into what he's looking for in a GM. Wants someone to "guide us to the next level".
- If a new GM comes in and says "Mark Sanchez isn't the starting QB" what will you two say to that considering he's one of your highest paid players? Rex responds "I'd say yes. Money will have nothing to do with the evaluation of the player". Woody agrees. "We're looking for the best player." QB position is wide open.
- Woody "There's no mandate" for Ryan HAVING to make the playoffs to keep his job.
- Woody "I have ultimate confidence in Rex as a leader, motivator, and even playcaller if he has to do it"
- Rex asked "You said when Tony was hired that it was like looking at a mirror, did you miscalculate?" Rex responds "No, I don't think miscalculated. I think there will be personnel changes and what not but maybe I misjudged the whole ground and pound philosophy and I need to be more open minded. We have players capable of playing with that mentality."
- More coaching staff changes are not out of the question.
- Asked if the team has enough talent to go to the Super Bowl in 2014 (since its at Metlife). Rex was very reserved in his response saying "We have a lot of work to do to get there".
- Rex basically saying that losing Santonio and other key pieces on defense (Revis) affected the team.
- Says Pettine won't be back because he has other opportunities (uh huh).
- Rex was asked if he was concerned about getting fired. "Yes. I knew last season wasn't good enough. 6-10 wasn't close to Mr. Johnson's expectations were. Absolutely I was concerned"
- Woody asked about the cap. He thinks the flexibility with the cap is great and we can do things to get that down. We'll do everything we can to get this team on track.
- Rex asked about the tattoo "There's a question about whether its real or not, I'll keep you guessing". Jokes that if Sanchez doesn't play better that number is changing!

I wish you could do notes in my meetings. The ones I get are usually so shit and here you are perfectly summing up presser :).

Football Outsiders wrote up an article for the ESPN Insider detailing some needs for some teams including the Giants. For them, linebacker is the teams biggest need:

The Giants did not have a single linebacker among the top 40 in total plays, the top 30 in successes, or the top 50 in defeats. Worse, their top linebacker in all three categories, Chase Blackburn, is entering free agency.

... the Giants' run defense struggled. They ranked 30th in adjusted line yards, which measures average yards per carry with a cap on long runs and a bonus for stuffs in the backfield. In other words, the New York front seven was pushed around more than almost any other defense in the league. The Giants need an infusion of youth, athleticism and attitude in the middle of their defense if they're going to get to the 2013 postseason.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...-new-york-giants-dallas-cowboys-chicago-bears

Top Bottom