• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

Whoa, being reported Lewan is staying in school. That's who most mocks had us drafting, will shake things up a bit. Makes me pray harder than ever that Joeckel falls to us. Wouldn't be surprised if Mathews stays in school too which means you drop from Joeckel to Fisher (though I've heard Fisher is pretty good).

Whoa, being reported Lewan is staying in school. That's who most mocks had us drafting, will shake things up a bit. Makes me pray harder than ever that Joeckel falls to us. Wouldn't be surprised if Mathews stays in school too which means you drop from Joeckel to Fisher (though I've heard Fisher is pretty good).

Matthews is staying I think.

If we don't get Joeckel, I definitely want to trade back and grab Warmack with our first pick.

Schefter just tweeted: Saints have announced that they have signed Payton to a five-year contract extension that will run through the 2017 season.

Bowser

Matthews has already stated he's returning. I want the Panthers to take Warmack at 14 actually.

ari

Banned
Well, hiring a 5-win coach whose team lost 58-0 is certainly unconventional, if nothing else.
Almost every coach in history had shitty seasons and shitty teams.

The kurt warner/whisenhunt era cardinals would have never had that shit go down. Just saying.

I just like the approach of how the bears isn't eyeing one coach. But I'm sure arians, clements and mccoy are the targets.

Godslay

Banned
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...n-manning-indy-offense-ignited-denver-broncos

Weird that we were talking about this. Chris Brown has a piece on Grantland about Denver's offense with Manning. fwiw Belichick says it's the same thing he did in IND

Good read. It sounds like they tried to blend Manning/McCoy together, and the results weren't great. After the third loss McCoy's contributions largely got dropped, and it went to a full blown Manning/Moore offense with Denver's syntax in place.

I don't really thinks it takes away from McCoy really. It shows to me that he is just as flexible as he was last year. It shows that he is adapting to his personnel and/or what will make them successful.

Bowser

Future, any thoughts on Matt Harriss? Word is Gettleman may bring him along as a salary cap manager. Seems like he's got the experience and has ties to Accorsi as well:

Harriss is in his seventh season within the football operations department of the New York Giants. He joined the organization just prior to the 2006 NFL Draft. In his first year with the Giants, Harriss assisted former general manager Ernie Accorsi in his final season with the team. He has since worked with assistant general manager Kevin Abrams on all aspects of the salary cap, CBA compliance and player contract negotiations. Prior to joining the Giants, Harriss spent five seasons in the NFL League Office. He began as an intern in the Football Operations department in September 2001, and by December he became a player personnel analyst for the Management Council. His responsibilities included salary cap and free agency management, annual NFL draft eligibility, as well as being versed on all personnel rules in order to assist the 32 NFL teams. During his last three seasons in the league office, Harriss also worked with the officiating department as an instant replay booth communicator during games. Harriss graduated from Lafayette College in 2001 with a degree in history. A native of Bronxville, N.Y., he now resides in Manhattan.

http://www.giants.com/team/staff/matt-harriss/4a6f8f9e-cc39-4185-ac88-3bbeed0a95e8

squicken

This draft may lack studs, but next year ...

Eric Galko ‏@OptimumScouting
2014 class already has T.Lewan, J.Matthews, Marquis Lee, S.Watkins, Bridgewater, T.Boyd, Clowney, L.Nix, ASJ

Time to plan the tanking

squicken

Are we really going to get excited about Tajh Boyd?

I didn't want to edit the Tweet. Don't know enough on all those guys to say one way or the other. But seems like there are more guys you'd want to take top 5 next year than you would this year

jakncoke

Banned
Almost every coach in history had shitty seasons and shitty teams.

The kurt warner/whisenhunt era cardinals would have never had that shit go down. Just saying.

I just like the approach of how the bears isn't eyeing one coach. But I'm sure arians, clements and mccoy are the targets.

I hope you guys hire Cade Mcnown HC, Curtis Enis offensive coordinator and Michael Haynes defensive coordinator. So much lulz would come of it.

Talon

I didn't want to edit the Tweet. Don't know enough on all those guys to say one way or the other. But seems like there are more guys you'd want to take top 5 next year than you would this year
Clowney, Marquise Lee are on another level when it comes to athletic freaks, for sure. Those guys are top five outright. Bridgewater was impressive this year - really only caught two Louisville games - but we'll see how he ends up.

There isn't the excitement at the QB position this year for sure but Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner, Mingo, Moore, and Sam Montgomery looks like a nice group of pass rusher prospects. I know there's that Dion Jordan kid at Oregon, but I haven't seen him really pop despite being subjected to watch every Oregon game for the past five years. Of course, Werner, Mingo, and Montgomery certainly benefited from having good pass rushers on the opposite side of the formation so who knows. And Jarvis Jones' back issue might freak some teams out.

Again, judging by the QB class this year, I imagine we'll see another Christian Ponder/JP Losman situation (i.e. some random QB that isn't worth being drafted in the first round getting drafted).

Doorman

I could be completely off base here, but having lived through Michigan's recent years on the football field I still have no idea how people were rating Lewan's stock so high in the first place. Dude's been good for one or two untimely holding calls every game, and usually a personal foul every two or three. I'm sure he can eventually become a decent pro player but I have a hard time figuring out some of the hype at times.

Talon

I could be completely off base here, but having lived through Michigan's recent years on the football field I still have no idea how people were rating Lewan's stock so high in the first place. Dude's been good for one or two untimely holding calls every game, and usually a personal foul every two or three. I'm sure he can eventually become a decent pro player but I have a hard time figuring out some of the hype at times.
Yeah, I live in Ann Arbor now, and I've never really seen him stand out. Not like he's had to face a stud defensive end every other weekend either. Might be part of the Michigan lineman mythologizing around these parts.

Don't know much about Harriss to be honest, Bowser. Abrams is our big cap guru and I'm quite familiar with him but I've only heard Harriss's name in passing at best.

The price of success in the NFL, your FO and coaches will invariably get poached.

Godslay

Banned
Kind of fun to look back at the team descriptions we posted back at the beginning of the year. We should all post them and read back over them. Here's the one I wrote for Denver (Ty Warren, Jason Hunter, Ty Warren, Tracy Porter, and J.D. Walton seem like distant memories)

What to watch for:

Denver Broncos 2012
There's a new Sheriff in town.

PGDl7.jpg

OFFENSE

Mike McCoy remains as the offensive coordinator. While he has been criticized over his play calling, he has never really had much talent in terms of the QB position. After adapting to Tebow, it will be interesting to see how what McCoy does this year given the man under center.

QB - Peyton Manning. The biggest free agent signing ever in my opinion. Manning had a series of neck surgeries last year. While he has looked very good in camp, there will always be the question of his durability until he takes a hit. In the words of John Elway, "There is no plan B". If Manning goes down, Brock Osweiler will likely step in, assuming he continues to outplay Caleb Hanie and Adam Weber in what remains of camp/preseason.

RB- Willis McGahee returns as the undisputed starter and has looked strong in camp. At this point Lance Ball is a solid, reliable, although relatively boring #2. Ronnie Hillman is listed at #3. Moreno is holding on for dear life, even though he seems like a perfect fit for this offense. Jeremiah Johnson (Mile High Mountain Man) has been making big strides in camp for a spot.

WR- Demaryius Thomas is fully healthy and is projected to have a big year. Manning hasn't had a WR this big and athletic so it will be interesting to see how he uses him this year. Decker has had flashes of looking great in camp, and has spent more time with Manning in the offseason. Decker at the moment has the most chemistry with Manning. Andre Caldwell was added in the offseason and adds a fast, deep threat. Old man Stokley returns and has looked decent so far.

TE- Jacob Tamme was added this offseason from the Colts and looks to pick up where he left off with Manning. Hopefully they can reignite the connection they had in 2010. Joel Dressen was added from the Texans. Outside of a couple of interviews I haven't heard much out of Dressen. Green will be suspended for 4 games, so it is likely to Tamme and Dreseen will carry the load.

OLINE - A solid unit, considered better run blockers than pass protectors but hopefully they can do both this year. Ryan Clady shoring up the blind side, big Orlando Franklin as the RT. Chris Kuper returns after the gory leg injury as RG. Zane Beadles as LG. The weakest link is the center with J.D. Walton. He has to improve this year .

FB - How many GRONKS can one league have?

DEFENSE

Jack Del Rio reunites with John Fox as Denver's new Defensive Coordinator. Dennis Allen was sucked out of the Mile High City, into the career black hole known as Oakland. The defense is looking to improve after a decent, but inconsistent last year.

DLINE - Jason Hunter has had an excellent camp. So much so that he has displaced Robert Ayers. Ty Warren is healthy and has looked like a man among boys apparently. Elvis Dumervil looks great and no charges were filed against him in Miami, so he will not be suspended. Derek Wolfe has looked good for a rookie so it will be nice to see him develop this year. Solid unit if they remain healthy.

WLB - DJ Williams is suspended for 6 games due to PEDs. Not much depth at this position, and they don't have to pay him for the suspension so I understand why he is still around. Wesley Woodyard is a serviceable replacement in the meantime, and Danny Trevathan has looked good for a rookie.

MLB - Joe Mays. Hopefully he is more consistent this year. The guys beneath him have been non-existent as far as I have seen.

SLB - Von Miller. Defensive Rookie of the Year 2011. Defensive Player of the Year 2012? If healthy I think he can do it.

CB - Champ Bailey. Getting older but still looking very good. Added Tracy Porter on the other side, who is a definite upgrade.

S - Mike Adams was added at SS, and seems to be a decent vet. Rahim Moore is the FS, and seems to have improved considerably after being lost during the time in games he had last year. Quinton Carter was injured in camp.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Matt Prater returns as the kicker. The true hero of the 2011 season. Britton Colquitt returns as the punter.

Don't know much about Harriss to be honest, Bowser. Abrams is our big cap guru and I'm quite familiar with him but I've only heard Harriss's name in passing at best.

The price of success in the NFL, your FO and coaches will invariably get poached.

Not the Steelers (though maybe i'm speaking too soon.)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All I know is I want the Jets to lose every fucking game in 2013, Rex gets fired and the Jets draft Bridgewater. Or Clowney. But I'd feel bad for Clowney because his last name would be unfortunate if he was on the Jets.

MechDX

But Biggio lost today :|

Texans defensive tackle J.J. Watt wore a Craig Biggio jersey today as a tribute to the former Astros star, who was 39 votes short of making the baseball Hall of Fame on Wednesday.

When Watt met with the media after practice, he was asked about the jersey. He praised Biggio.

“I’m disappointed he didn’t make the Hall of Fame,” Watt said.

Biggio received more votes than any player on the ballot but still came up short.

“He was a great, great player,” Watt said.

Biggio got passed because the writers (voters) are making a statement on steroid use. thats all well and good but you fucked over a guy who played his heart and ass off in the meantime.

squicken

Godslay I can't find any Rams write up I did, but I did well on my picks. Damn Steelers had to go choke.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41602058&postcount=28

Awesome OP Bucket. I don't care how old it is the Freeman shops are great

AFC
Pats
Steelers
Broncos
Colts
Ravens (WC)
Texans (WC)

NFC
GB
DAL
SF
NO
ATL (WC)
NYG (WC)

SB

GB vs NE

321056_10151185709996314_992692291_n.jpg

JJ did his press conference today in a Biggio jersey. H-town solidarity!

Wore an Hakeem jersey to the LAL games. Plays to the crowd well. Also plays well, which helps. He and Barwin are like bff. Everywhere together

mr2xxx

Banned
rgiii-subway-statue-629x460.jpg

2012 Washington Redskins

Offense
[QB] This is why we are here, to see the development of our new franchise QB Robert Griffin III. The Redskins gave up three first round picks to pick this man and all eyes will be on him today. In camp he has played like a rookie, holds on to the ball too long sometimes, threw some bad picks but other times can make incredible plays with his arm and feet. Look for a lot of bootlegs similar to Beck last year but with much better results. WIth the current state of the OL don't be surprised to see RGIII running for his life from that nasty DL of the Bills. Next up will be Rex Grossman vs. Kirk cousins for the backup role. Kirk has no chance this year to beat out Rex so wait till next year for the competition to really take place.

[RB] It will be a tough competition between RBs Evan Royster, Tim Hightower and Roy Helu. Tim Hightower is coming off a torn ACL and will probably see very little playing time as he is slowly being worked in over the course of the preseason. Roy Helu is the explosive back that has breakaway speed but it looks like Evan Royster who is the more all around RB will get the starting nod today. Also watch out for rookie Alfred Morris who is a big back to get a lot of playing time today.

[FB] With the starter Darrell Young out with an injury look for Cooley to take some snaps here as he tries to maintain a spot on the team. If you recall Cooley has played as an H-Back under Gibbs which is a combination of FB and TE so no worries here.

[WR] The Redskins have added Garcon and Morgan in the offseason to compliment RGIII. Garcon is a deep threat and has been great in camp, he has secured a spot as starter. On the opposite end Morgan who has been having health issues this camp will play today and compete with Hankerson for the other starting spot. Hankerson coming of labrum surgery (Bo Jackson's same injury) has made a marvelous recovery and has been doing great in training camp. The slot looks to be locked up by Redskin fan favorite Santana Moss, Moss has lost 15 lbs in preparation for the season and has regained some of his speed. For the last spot on the roster Brandon Banks the smallest player on the team and probably most pee wee teams looks to have developed as a receiver in addition of being a great returner. Look for Briscoe, Austin, Robinson and to compete against him today. Up and comer from two years ago Anthony Armstrong? is still hurt and will not play today.

[TE] Fred Davis is back at starter and Cooley is finally healthy from years of being injured. Look to see if Cooley can remain healthy and the big thing to watch out here is the development of Niles Paul. Paul was recently converted from receiver to TE and Shanny is hoping for Shannon Sharpe like results.

[OL] The OL is currently in shambles, nothing new to the Redskins for the past few few years. Our RT Jamal Brown is still hurt despite taking up yoga and I doubt we will ever see him play. Chris Chester and Lichtensteiger are out this week. This leaves Maurice Hurt and Tyler Polumbus to pick up the slack. We will see rookie Adam Gettis start in place Chris Chester. Also look for 3rd round rookie Josh LeRibeus to play on the 2nd team to see if he has anything because he will most likely be starting by the end of the year. The only bright spot we have is at LT with the return of the silverback Trent Williams coming back from his suspension.

Defense
[DL] Starters are the same as last year with Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen and Adam Carriker returning. Watch for Jarvis Jenkins to be worked in the rotation to see if he has fully recovered from his knee injury. Jenkins was a 2nd rd pick who was drawing rave reviews in training camp but was injured during this time last year. Also watch Chris Nield and Chris Baker battle for the back up NT position. Chris Nield a 7th round pick last year had a great week 1 game against the Giants but disappeared the rest of the season.

[OLB] Orakpo and Kerrigan are starters here, watch them put Ryan Fitzpatrick on his back multiple times.

[ILB] The great never aging London Fletcher will be lined up next to 2nd year Perry Riley who beat out Rocky Mcintosh last year for the other ILB spot. We are set here as long as Fletcher stays healthy. Watch out for 3rd string rookie Keenan Robinson who looks like he can be a starter someday.

[CB] Deangelo Hall and Josh Wilson will be the starters. Rookie Richard Crawford has been looking great in camp with multiple interceptions, watch if he can pass Kevin Barnes and Cedric Griffin on the depth chart.

[FS] Madieu Williams will get starter reps but 2nd year Dejon Gomes and free agent Tanard Jackson will compete for the starting spot. The competition is wide open currently and one to watch.

[SS] Free agent/ 2x time pro-bowler Brandon Meriweather will be the starter. Reports from camp have said that he has a great nose for the ball and hopefully he will good since we have no depth here, also he isn't injury prone like our ex-SS, good luck luck Jets.

Special Teams
[P] Sav Rocca

[K] It will be Gano vs Rackers competing for this spot.

Not too bad, completely wrong on the Kirk thing. Jamal brown never did play, what a waste of money and a pick. Morris came out of nowhere in the last two pre season games to take the spot. Crawford beat out Barnes and the kicker battle went from Gano, to Rackers, to Cundiff to Kai Forbath when it came to kickers. Also lol at the Bills line.

Fox318

Biggio got passed because the writers (voters) are making a statement on steroid use. thats all well and good but you fucked over a guy who played his heart and ass off in the meantime.

He'll be on the ballot next year.

I'm still pissed Don Mattingly isn't in.

Godslay

Banned

I'm of the mindset of 'Who gives a shit' when it comes to steroid use. Both sides of the ball were juicing, and even with that it still requires that the talent be there underneath the performance enhancement. At the time it wasn't against the rules, so who cares? Now that it is though, it should be taken into consideration going forward. Not retroactively though. I love baseball, but it takes itself entirely too seriously when it comes to history.

I think I am in the minority when it comes to this though.

[/B]

Not too bad, completely wrong on the Kirk thing. Jamal brown never did play, what a waste of money and a pick. Morris came out of nowhere in the last two pre season games to take the spot. Crawford beat out Barnes and the kicker battle went from Gano, to Rackers, to Cundiff to Kai Forbath when it came to kickers. Also lol at the Bills line.

Nice call on Alfred Morris.

MechDX

I'm of the mindset of 'Who gives a shit' when it comes to steroid use. Both sides of the ball were juicing, and even with that it still requires that the talent be there underneath the performance enhancement. At the time it wasn't against the rules, so who cares? Now that it is though, it should be taken into consideration going forward. Not retroactively though. I love baseball, but it takes itself entirely too seriously when it comes to history.

I think I am in the minority when it comes to this though.

Im just pissed you leave out legit candidates so you can make a statement.Just shows how dumb the process is for the BHOF. The NFL screws some shit up to: Why is Ken Stabler still not in?

Bowser

eznark

Banned
Im just pissed you leave out legit candidates so you can make a statement.Just shows how dumb the process is for the BHOF. The NFL screws some shit up to. Why is Ken Stabler still not in?

Biggie wasn't a victim of steroid voters, he was simply judged unworthy. There are a lot of BBWA guys who don't like decent players who play forever and accumulate numbers.

Fine iOS, you win. Biggie it is.

I was convinced we should "torpedo for geno" earlier in the year.
Trust me if you lurked here at the beginning of the season I was on the Geno bandwagon, was still butt hurt about RG3.
Right now I just wanna go with a free agent Qb until the right guy comes out, and do everything we can to get him. Not sure who our coach will be yet but Id consider Alex Smith

MechDX

Biggie wasn't a victim of steroid voters, he was simply judged unworthy. There are a lot of BBWA guys who don't like decent players who play forever and accumulate numbers.

Fine iOS, you win. Biggie it is.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8828339/no-players-elected-baseball-hall-fame-writers

BBWAA president Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle said she didn't vote for Bonds, Clemens or Sosa.

"The evidence for steroid use is too strong," she said.
As for Biggio, "I'm surprised he didn't get in."

MLB.com's Hal Bodley, the former baseball columnist for USA Today, said Biggio and others paid the price for other players using PEDs.

"They got caught in the undertow of the steroids thing," he said.

Bodley said this BBWAA vote was a "loud and clear" message on the steroids issue. He said he couldn't envision himself voting for stars linked to drugs.

Biggio led all candidates with 68.2% of the vote. He giot screwed because some voters submitted blank ballots in protest. The 75% of the vote number is just ridiculous.

Bowser

Godslay I can't find any Rams write up I did, but I did well on my picks. Damn Steelers had to go choke.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41602058&postcount=28

Season Predictions

AFC
North
BAL
PIT
CIN
CLE

South
HOU
TEN
IND
JAC

East
NE
BUF
NYJ
MIA

West
DEN
OAK
SD
KC

NFC
North
GB
CHI
DET
MIN

South
ATL
CAR
NO
TB

East
PHI
NYG
DAL
WAS

West
SF
SEA
STL
ARI

NFC
1. Green Bay
2. Atlanta
3. Philadelphia
4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. Carolina

AFC
1. Houston
2. Baltimore
3. New England
4. Denver
5. Buffalo
6. Oakland

Super Bowl XLVII
Green Bay vs Baltimore

3/6 NFC, 4/6 AFC

SB still in play, though I'm not particularly confident in BAL's chances

Correctly predicted order of NFC South and West tho!

Top Bottom