• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

cdyhybrid

I don't see how this is such a given since we saw these same DBs last year. They also haven't went up against a duo like Roddy and Julio yet. The clever coverages will mean something if the gameplan of stopping Lynch (which is probably been the the majority of the focus this week) works.

Sherm was just getting his feet wet when the Falcons game came around last season.

Fox318

Front page of nbcnews.com

dNjN8.jpg

Doorman

I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but...I'd just like to express my condolences to Kave and the rest of Browns-GAF on the hiring of their new head coach. Yes, I know absolutely nothing about the guy, but I do know this:

Never can I imagine a future where we look back in the NFL annals and are able to say that a man named "Chudzinski" was one of the era's best coaches. I mean...Chudzinski.

I can picture the fan-made "Chodezinski" signs showing up in the stadium already.

Mrbob

If Seattle wins, they better hope San Fran wins as well. Easier to beat a division opponent, little travel, plus the Packers would be highly motivated to get their win back which was taken away earlier in the season.

Seattle would also have to take another long road trip. Don't see them surviving a third.

If Seattle travels to DC, then Atlanta, and then GB while winning all three games that would probably be the most impressive playoff run in years. If not history. Of course it would only be truly impressive if they cap it off with the title. Otherwise it is just an interesting foot note.

squicken

I don't see how this is such a given since we saw these same DBs last year. They also haven't went up against a duo like Roddy and Julio yet. The clever coverages will mean something if the gameplan of stopping Lynch (which is probably been the the majority of the focus this week) works.

You can't fool Wilson with coverage b/c he doesn't read defenses. Watch on their passing plays. He takes one look at his first read and then tries to get out of the pocket. At that point, it's not timing throws to routes that beat coverage, it's WRs altering their routes and looking for soft spots.

He has no fear of throwing jump balls into double coverage, and all of his WRs are accomplished at drawing DPI and/or catching those outright. It's kind of shocking he doesn't have more INTs. Like that INT Griffin threw last week, people were acting like it was some fluke thing that he couldn't step into his throw. He had thrown deep into coverage all year and been pretty fortunate that they weren't picked off more often. Luck also had about 900 dropped INTs on his deep passes, so maybe Xenu just loves rookies

Turnstile

Cheers brother Turnstile. Drive safe and make that camera shake tomorrow!
I have such a good feeling about this game. Mile High is going to be insane! Last year was awesome with the Tebow 80 yd throw, but damn, the excitement for this game and season is beyond words.

tmdorsey

You can't fool Wilson with coverage b/c he doesn't read defenses. Watch on their passing plays. He takes one look at his first read and then tries to get out of the pocket. At that point, it's not timing throws to routes that beat coverage, it's WRs altering their routes and looking for soft spots.

He has no fear of throwing jump balls into double coverage, and all of his WRs are accomplished at drawing DPI and/or catching those outright. It's kind of shocking he doesn't have more INTs. Like that INT Griffin threw last week, people were acting like it was some fluke thing that he couldn't step into his throw. He had thrown deep into coverage all year and been pretty fortunate that they weren't picked off more often. Luck also had about 900 dropped INTs on his deep passes, so maybe Xenu just loves rookies

Reading that actually makes me feel better. :jnc

eznark

Banned

So bitter

Godslay

Banned
I have such a good feeling about this game. Mile High is going to be insane! Last year was awesome with the Tebow 80 yd throw, but damn, the excitement for this game and season is beyond words.

It really is. Was listening to 104.3 today, and the United in Orange thing is everywhere. I can honestly say that this is the most excited I've been since the Superbowl runs. 2005 was close, but there was always a little bit of doubt lurking in the back of my mind.

Talon

I think if we can go up 14 early the Falcons will fold. Fans will start booing them and they'll feel the pressure. Especially if we're able to run the ball and force an early turnover or two.
Except all the times we've comeback after playing like shit early in the game this year...

squicken

So bitter

Well I'm bitter Bustford never gets away with it. But Luck has benefited immensely so it evens out.

And I'm on-board with Wilson being a franchise QB. Reading coverages is so 2000s-ish. Only 5 or 6 guys do it well anyway. College game is coming

Tamanon

Banned
I get to miss this weekend's playoffs. Fiance has family from Ecuador visiting this weekend and we're going skiing. BAD TIMING!

trying to convince my boys to go to the nfc title game in san fran if seattle wins but they're still butt hurt about alex -_-

I get to miss this weekend's playoffs. Fiance has family from Ecuador visiting this weekend and we're going skiing. BAD TIMING!

i would actually like my wife to ask me to miss any sunday during football season (let alone playoffs) because in that brief moment when her sentence ends and im thinking about a response i would be giddy with excitement on how creative i could get on the shut down. maybe i'll start thinking of it now just incase she ever does pull that on me.

although i told her long ago, even when we were just friends, that there is a less than zero % chance i would ever miss a niners game

Kurharsky perfectly analyzes Milquetoast Kubiak http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/46122/texans-need-to-throw-into-the-end-zone

The first two questions Gary Kubiak fielded at his Monday news conference were about the team’s red zone offense.

In each answer, he mentioned checking the ball down.

First: "We had a lot of second-and-nines down there from that standpoint, but we got to make the small plays whether you check a ball down on a three or four-yard pass. You’ve got to do that so you’re giving yourself a legitimate chance."

A chance at what? A closer field goal?

Second: "We got played the other day in a bunch of quarters defense, people sitting on the goal line makes it tough to get behind people, those types of things. If people are going to play you that way, you got to run the ball efficiently. You’ve got to check the ball down efficiently."

[+] Enlarge
Gary KubiakKirby Lee/Image of Sport/USA TODAY SportsHouston QB Matt Schaub and coach Gary Kubiak will each need to be aggressive in order to defeat New England on Sunday.
If you're already in field goal range, what's the benefit of super-efficient checking down, exactly? To prove to a defense you know how to answer the coverage they are calling to keep you out of the end zone by calling plays that keep you out of the end zone?

I'm confused.

I encountered way too many fans who were upset with Kubiak for not being more aggressive in the win over the Bengals. He coached a winning game, and I thought he called some plays intended to protect a quarterback in Matt Schaub who came into the game lacking confidence. I've got no issues with that.

But to talk about throwing short stuff in the red zone as if it’s the solution strikes me as crazily conservative.

Checking down isn’t going to get the Texans in the end zone. Andre Johnson catching a ball just inside the goal line he had to stretch to reach but let go off his fingertips, that would have produced a touchdown. A better throw from Schaub on that late second-quarter play, that would have produced a touchdown.

Here, I get the fans' frustrations.

I just re-watched all 15 plays the Texans ran from the Bengals 20-yard line or closer on Saturday. The Texans ran it eight times and threw it seven times. And one of those throws -- one -- was actually into the end zone. Two of those seven throws -- including the one into the end zone -- were thrown far enough to gain a first down.

That’s way too conservative overall.

I don’t care what kind of coverage anyone is playing. You have Andre Johnson who can beat virtually any coverage to get free and catch a pass in the end zone. You've got Owen Daniels and Arian Foster who can win, too. You’re already in field goal range. Your quarterback has to be able to make throws that are either touchdowns or incompletions.

Don’t let the coverage dictate everything. Do some dictating.

Say: “If we run Andre Johnson on this route, protect well enough and make an accurate throw, there is no way you hold us to three points on this trip.”

I’m sure New England’s going to play coverages that tell you not to throw into the end zone when you’re in the red zone Sunday.

If you don’t throw into the end zone, you won’t be able to win.​

Kiryu

trying to convince my boys to go to the nfc title game in san fran if seattle wins but they're still butt hurt about alex -_-

i would actually like my wife to ask me to miss any sunday during football season (let alone playoffs) because in that brief moment when her sentence ends and im thinking about a response i would be giddy with excitement on how creative i could get on the shut down. maybe i'll start thinking of it now just incase she ever does pull that on me.

although i told her long ago, even when we were just friends, that there is a less than zero % chance i would ever miss a niners game
If 49ers lose to Green Bay Packers.

I would blame on Colin Kaepernick and his zero playoff experience...

Alex Smith himself should be enough to beat entire Green Bay Packers.

Come at me GB Fans.

If 49ers lose to Green Bay Packers.

I would blame on Colin Kaepernick and his zero playoff experience...

Alex Smith himself should be enough to beat entire Green Bay Packers.

Come at me GB Fans.

they can't come at you. alex already beat the packers.

i also find it funny listening to NFLN and they're talking about charles woodson being back.... as if he didn't play against us in week 1. "WELP PACKERS GOT WOODSON BACK! LOOK OUT! NINERS AINT NEVER SEEN NOTHING LIKE WOODSON!"

~ZIO~

Neo Member
Being that I just do not like the Patriots, I am hoping they lose, as I always do. How realistic that is often is not very, though.

I want to see Peyton get to the end as well as Rodgers. That's a SB worth watching.

squicken

Come on, we need more of a reaction than that.

Is it [MG]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt34/90Legendman/rob-ryan-what-the-fuck.gif[/IMG] or http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gBJ76GQmxvo/UEkQcxmEYTI/AAAAAAAACm0/gUrJN5YvHUw/s1600/Rob-Ryan.gif[/IG]?[/QUOTE]

Only one guy is reporting right now, and he's a NY guy. Rams cannot run a 3-4. Just don't have personnel for it. So it's an odd fit

eznark

Banned
they can't come at you. alex already beat the packers.

i also find it funny listening to NFLN and they're talking about charles woodson being back.... as if he didn't play against us in week 1. "WELP PACKERS GOT WOODSON BACK! LOOK OUT! NINERS AINT NEVER SEEN NOTHING LIKE WOODSON!"

How many home playoff wins does Kaepernick have? As many as Matt Ryan?

eznark

Banned
There's a ZombieU demo out there. You can play it and tell me how much you hate it.

I played it last night. It seems really, really well done. I like that when I died I came back as someone else. It did cool stuff with the controller too. It's just too scary for me.

Angry Birds on your iPhone
Angry Birds Star Wars is great!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
What should I play tonight. I finished up FC3 and now have a billion games staring at me and I can't decide.

Civilization 5. Crack on a disc.

Only one guy is reporting right now, and he's a NY guy. Rams cannot run a 3-4. Just don't have personnel for it. So it's an odd fit

Why would Jeff Fischer hire Rob Ryan to run a 3-4 when Fischer is a 4-3 guy anyway?

I'll never understand the infatuation with 3-4 defenses. Four d-lineman is the way to go, always.

Top Bottom