• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

eznark

Banned
Remember when Manning signed the 5 year $100m contract and was cut a year later?

NFL contracts lol

The only bad money is guaranteed money.

Sanjuro

I have never had the stigma from eating Taco Bell prior. However, drunken last night, ended up getting their twelve taco-box thing.

You win this round, Freeman. Never again.

Draxal

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/sfl-draft-winds-20130228,0,1988102,full.story

Really long ass evaluation on Cordalrrelle Patterson. Seems like Miami papers will be doing lots of this stuff on WRs

also

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeYahoo
Have heard from a couple of sources that Welker will prob re-sign with Pats AND Pats will get another WR with deep speed.

All thanks to the hero Tom Brady

I"m wondering if they go after somebody like Mark Harrison in the draft, with Belicheck's Rutgers ties.

RBH

I have never had the stigma from eating Taco Bell prior. However, drunken last night, ended up getting their twelve taco-box thing.

gol15.jpg

"Atta boy!"

squicken

I"m wondering if they go after somebody like Mark Harrison in the draft, with Belicheck's Rutgers ties.

It's hard for WRs to come in and contribute right out of college. It's why I think it will be a FA. Not sure who they can afford, really. Seems like Welker would take up whatever they save with Brady's restructure. PK seems to think Flacco's deal will be heavily back-loaded to 2015 and beyond, as cap starts to rise. Could be Pats do that with Welker and maybe Mike Wallace.

It's still spending on credit. People think the cap doesn't exist, but it does matter. Restructuring makes the later years cap numbers go up, so it's impossible to tag a player. It also gives them leverage b/c they know the team needs relief, and can demand an extension. Fitz and Megatron benefited from this. All cash spent has to go into some year's cap, and bonuses can only be pro-rated over 5 years max

Now for a team like NE, that is old, spending on credit makes sense, b/c they have a smaller window. But I think it is stupid for BAL. Their window is closed imo. They need to tear down and start hitting drafts. Flacco should be front-loaded so that the cap room is there in later years as they extend Torrey Smith and other draft picks they've hit on

BigAT

It's obnoxious enough when fans foolishly try to pass this type of restructuring off as an unselfish act, but to see a player doing it is just gross. You don't lose any value on your contract, you convert potential money into guaranteed money, and you get paid more upfront. You're an asshole if you try to pass that off as some sort of charitable act for your team.

Joey Bag o' Money. One helluva contract there.

Also, the general wailing and gnashing of teeth here in Atlanta over the soon to be dismissals of Dunta Robinson (too expensive for his output), John Abraham (aging, lackluster performance), and Michael Turner (likewise, "Failed physical") has been pretty noisy over the past couple of days. As much as I acknowledge that Abraham has been a face of the franchise, we can do much better. The Falcons' pass rush overall last season was ass.

eznark

Banned
It's hard for WRs to come in and contribute right out of college. It's why I think it will be a FA. Not sure who they can afford, really. Seems like Welker would take up whatever they save with Brady's restructure. PK seems to think Flacco's deal will be heavily back-loaded to 2015 and beyond, as cap starts to rise. Could be Pats do that with Welker and maybe Mike Wallace.

It's still spending on credit. People think the cap doesn't exist, but it does matter. Restructuring makes the later years cap numbers go up, so it's impossible to tag a player. It also gives them leverage b/c they know the team needs relief, and can demand an extension. Fitz and Megatron benefited from this. All cash spent has to go into some year's cap, and bonuses can only be pro-rated over 5 years max

Now for a team like NE, that is old, spending on credit makes sense, b/c they have a smaller window. But I think it is stupid for BAL. Their window is closed imo. They need to tear down and start hitting drafts. Flacco should be front-loaded so that the cap room is there in later years as they extend Torrey Smith and other draft picks they've hit on

Brandt is saying that's how the deal is structured. Biggest hit is this year. Means he is easier to cut going forward as well. Brandt compared it to Mannings Colts contract. It's just a bunch of one year deals that gradually get cheaper. In year 6 it will be less than the tag.

bionic77

Are they putting together a play package for Mallet? Otherwise this doesn't make much sense.
I hope they overpay for Wallace and then somehow Mike gets blamed in the media when Brady is under throwing him and then eventually ignoring him in the offense (because he can't let people see how weak his arm is).

squicken

Brandt is saying that's how the deal is structured. Biggest hit is this year. Means he is easier to cut going forward as well. Brandt compared it to Mannings Colts contract. It's just a bunch of one year deals that gradually get cheaper. In year 6 it will be less than the tag.

That's the danger I guess for the player. Limited pro-ration on the back end makes it easier for them to cut you. My ever so slight hyperbole aside, that is one thing Brady got on his extension. Both he and Peyton have their 2015 contracts become guaranteed if they are on the roster at the end of 2014. The difference with Peyton is that his money is all salary. Denver can cut ties with no dead money. Brady is all pro-ration. If NE cuts him it's quite a bit of dead money. Now it's doubtful either guy would ever get cut, but it's at least a possibility

eznark

Banned
That's the danger I guess for the player. Limited pro-ration on the back end makes it easier for them to cut you. My ever so slight hyperbole aside, that is one thing Brady got on his extension. Both he and Peyton have their 2015 contracts become guaranteed if they are on the roster at the end of 2014. The difference with Peyton is that his money is all salary. Denver can cut ties with no dead money. Brady is all pro-ration. If NE cuts him it's quite a bit of dead money. Now it's doubtful either guy would ever get cut, but it's at least a possibility

I think it's highly likely Brady retires and collects a few of those dollars on the couch.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think it's highly likely Brady retires and collects a few of those dollars squeeing like a girl on the waterside.

Fixed

Edit: I honestly think the Steelers make the playoffs next season. I'm hoping they go 6-10 but I think that the Rapist is still the best QB in that division despite being underpaid (all good QBs are now underpaid).

bionic77

Steelers in the playoffs? Somebody's dreaming big this off-season.
We were pretty garbage last year and with a few breaks we might have won the garbage bowl instead of you. With our best players another year past their prime and the Ravens going into the normal SB funk I like our chances.

squicken

If the Pats sign Welker if they drafted a WR like DeAndre Hopkins I would be happy.

You need speed on outside and for Gronk's STDs to stop breaking down his bone density

edit:

Something I hadn't considered on Patterson that the Sun Sentinel author brought up was his learning curve from JUCO to SEC competion. He got better as the year went on. Definitely a lot of "brain farts" as the author calls them. He views Patterson as highly competitive, which I disagree with a bit

I shared some. Ate probably close to eight realistically. I'm south of the city. I would have killed for some fresh pizza, but that would have required extra driving.
Not saying you drove, but OT would of instantly attacked you at these words.
I too made the mistake of drunkenly eating tbell Last night

squicken

Hopkins has speed doesnt he?

Ran a good 40 time. The thing about he and Swope is that they are very high character guys. They are going to bust their ass all the time, and that includes when they train for the combine. They are going to learn proper sprinter technique, where a lot of guys will rely on their pure athleticism.

Hopkins isn't as fast as his 40 would indicate. He's not slow, and I don't think his speed is a liability. But he is not as fast as AJ Green or Julio Jones

eznark

Banned
Nah. GAF would love me if I proclaimed it was an effort to stick it to the police of some sorts.

GAF has a defense force for everything, including child rapers (hi jakncoke) except driving drunk. So funny after growing up in Wisconsin where it's just a normal thing.

effzee

Speaking of stupidity over at OT, I by mistake clicked on the kids thread where the OP thinks just having kids is immoral because they aren't offered a choice to exist.

WTF?

Maybe he is going through some problems and depression but seriously thought it was the dumbest and one of the insane things I ever read. Or maybe I'm just getting older...

squicken

Maybe he is going through some problems and depression but seriously thought it was the dumbest and one of the insane things I ever read. Or maybe I'm just getting older...

Every time I read GAF OT I know I am too old for the modern world. I have no idea how to properly navigate the idea of a 9 year old boy with purple hair who identifies as a girl and wants to use the girl's restroom. All I have are my caveman solutions, which just illustrate my lack of moral and intellectual adaptability

Godslay

Banned
Speaking of stupidity over at OT, I by mistake clicked on the kids thread where the OP thinks just having kids is immoral because they aren't offered a choice to exist.

WTF?

Why did the semen cross the road?

OP put on the wrong sock

Did they have a choice in that?

effzee

Every time I read GAF OT I know I am too old for the modern world. I have no idea how to properly navigate the idea of a 9 year old boy with purple hair who identifies as a girl and wants to use the girl's restroom. All I have are my caveman solutions, which just illustrate my lack of moral and intellectual adaptability

It's not even being too old for the modern world. The scenario you pointed out, I can properly wrap my head around and come to my own conclusions and solutions but I didn't bother going into that thread.

The child thread just threw me for a loop. I get and respect people who know they don't want kids and then avoid having unwanted kids. But this is something else. Questioning the morality of having kids because they weren't given a choice to exist? WTF? Venturing off into crazy land territory for me.

Sometimes I think some of these guys in the OT have far too much time on their hands...

Top Bottom