• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

squicken

The floor will be set by the exclusive franchise tag, which based on current numbers could be in excess of $20 million for 2013. Really, there’s no way at this point that the Ravens can use the $14.6 million non-exclusive tag, because plenty of teams would gladly give two first-round picks for a reigning Super Bowl MVP who is still on the front end of his prime.

The Bills, Jets, Browns, Jaguars, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Eagles, Vikings, Buccaneers, and Cardinals would all be likely to consider making a run at Flacco. Other teams with entrenched starters would be tempted to at least “evaluate” the possibility.

If your team gave up two #1s for Flacco, would you be happy? If the Ravens got two #1s for him, would Ravens fans be mad he left?

I hate that they won but that's a bit unfair. In addition to being the "hot" team, they also got healthy and made key changes to their offense. They made changes to both tackle positions and fired the OC. We saw Baltimore in formations they dont usually run.

It's a bit of luck, good timing and strategy.

The stage was too big for Kap, the power outage allowed them time to settle and regroup. If they had started the game like that, they would have more than likely won. But they didn't because of his inexperience. That's the gamble Jim took and he lost.

image.JPG

The real Ravens MVP.

squicken

I hate that they won but that's a bit unfair. In addition to being the "hot" team, they also got healthy and made key changes to their offense. They made changes to both tackle positions and fired the OC. We saw Baltimore in formations they dont usually run.

It's a bit of luck, good timing and strategy.

The stage was too big for Kap, the power outage allowed them time to settle and regroup. If they had started the game like that, they would have more than likely won. But they didn't because of his inexperience. That's the gamble Jim took and he lost.

They scored a TD on 9 straight RZ possessions. Flacco threw 11TDs and 0 INTs in the post-season. If you think that is the "real" Ravens then hope that Shanny trades RG3 for Flacco and that the Ravens are dumb enough to do the deal. And that Snyder fires him for Caldwell

Jets don't have the cap room unless they include one of their top players in the trade.

Revis and 2 first rounders for Flacco? Bomb it out to Hill every play.

Revis and Webb would we the best CB combo in the league, I'd rather don't have you guys make this trade. Tebow and 2 first rounders for Flacco.

bionic77

Not at all, but because of the money, not because of Joe. We're going to have holes everywhere, and sinking 20-25 mil into a QB isn't going to leave us with much to fill them.
Don't worry dude. He is elite. I am sure he will be worth the money.

And seeing you happy is very unnatural. I want my shit sharing, Flacco hating BLarry back!

squicken

Not at all, but because of the money, not because of Joe. We're going to have holes everywhere, and sinking 20-25 mil into a QB isn't going to leave us with much to fill them.

You'd sink $20m into Brees or Rodgers, so it is b/c of Joe. Or maybe you just have so many roster needs you can't justify a QB with an infinite TD to INT ratio

You'd sink $20m into Brees or Rodgers, so it is b/c of Joe. Or maybe you just have so many roster needs you can't justify a QB with an infinite TD to INT ratio
BLarry just understands that there's no point in dropping crazy money on Flacco when you've got Tyrod Taylor waiting in the wings.

Tyrod-Taylor2.jpg

SonnyBoy

I think you're being a little unfair to Kaep, he didn't give up 3 passing TD's and a kickoff return TD. The Niners lost as a team.

I believe Kap is the reason why they got into a slump early in the game. As I stated in my previous post, the power outage allowed him time to pull it together. In his body language, u could tell that he was a bit unsure of himself or the play call at times. It cost them some timeouts and a bad play or two. It's just lack of experience, nothing personal against him.

If you think that is the "real" Ravens then hope that Shanny trades RG3 for Flacco and that the Ravens are dumb enough to do the deal. And that Snyder fires him for Caldwell

In the playoff's Flacco has shown that he elevates his level of play. In years past, it's been the WR's corps that's dropped the ball... Pun intended.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your post because it's irrelevant.

I mean, on one hand it is blatently obvious he is not worth Drew Brees money, since he is a far worse quarterback than Drew Brees.

On the other hand, if the Ravens don't sign him, some team will pay him Drew Brees Money just because the QB position is so important and so many teams have absolute dogshit.

So Flacco is worth 100$ million just because that's what the free agency market will pay for him.

I believe Kap is the reason why they got into a slump early in the game. As I stated in my previous post, the power outage allowed him time to pull it together. In his body language, u could tell that he was a bit unsure of himself or the play call at times. It cost them some timeouts and a bad play or two. It's just lack of experience, nothing personal against him.
I don't disagree that Kaep played poorly pre-blackout but the Niners defense was being picked apart by Flacco and co. at the same time. The whole team looked awful until the blackout, not just Kaep.

jakncoke

Banned
Real question: Do you guys like it that playoffs and especially SB are essentially completely random acts at this point? That the best team has a 50-50 shot of winning? Is it better now than it was in the 80s and 90s where the better team usually won?

I certainly enjoy seeing the Pats lose, but competition usually implies something more than coin tossing. Granted, the role of injury luck means even getting to the playoffs is so chance based, as is landing a franchise QB. I used to think football was chess on grass, but it's probably more like Risk

When did you become such a whiner about things in the nfl and I dont recall you ever being such internet football intellectual, to be blunt. You've become cunty.

You're putting words in my mouth. We just shouldn't be in the 20 million dollar QB market at all with all our holes.

Narag

When did you become such a whiner about things in the nfl and I dont recall you ever being such internet football intellectual, to be blunt. You've become cunty.

He's started taking it super seriously on here the past couple years or at least his posts convey that. Pay attention!

Im not defending him just because ge's a Colts fan euther'

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
2 first rounders for a QB is a steal.

- Hue Jackson

Difference was the Raiders gave up those picks for a Carson Palmer who hadn't been remotely good in years. And he was never half the quarterback Joe Flacco is right now.

I'd be thrilled if the Jets signed Joe Flacco. I'd appreciate good quarterback life for the first time in my life.

Difference was the Raiders gave up those picks for a Carson Palmer who hadn't been remotely good in years. And he was never half the quarterback Joe Flacco is right now.

I'd be thrilled if the Jets signed Joe Flacco. I'd appreciate good quarterback life for the first time in my life.

brett-favre-jets.jpg

alg_pennington-defeat.jpg

jakncoke

Banned
He's started taking it super seriously on here the past couple years or at least his posts convey that. Pay attention!

I guess when your team fucking sucks and has Sam Bradford at the helm you gotta grasp on something and cunty football intellectual is squicken path of fame

SonnyBoy

I don't disagree that Kaep played poorly pre-blackout but the Niners defense was being picked apart by Flacco and co. at the same time. The whole team looked awful until the blackout, not just Kaep.

The defense had it's issues sure, but the offense can assist by keeping the opposing offense off of the field. Kaep looked confused at times out there, or maybe unsure of himself and it led to some bad plays for them. At least two timeouts were burnt for that very reason. As you said, it's a team game. When one half of the team is trying to find it's footing, it'll definitely has an effect on the other half.

Fjordson

Yeah, Kaep looked really shaky the fist half.

Sucks, because he was nailing most of his throws in the second half. Too little too late, though.

I'm scared for the ravens.

Salary cap is going to a bitch this year for us.

Boldin is replaceable, but finding a guy to fill in for Lewis and Reed will be impossible to do in just 1 season.

I bet the Panthers would be willing to trade you JonJon Beason for a 2nd round pick. He went to the U, and before his injuries he was the 2nd best MLB in the league. We've got Luke back there now and Beason is not an OLB so I imagine we'd be down to trade him if the right offer.came along.

I bet the Panthers would be willing to trade you JonJon Beason for a 2nd round pick. He went to the U, and before his injuries he was the 2nd best MLB in the league. We've got Luke back there now and Beason is not an OLB so I imagine we'd be down to trade him if the right offer.came along.

Boldin to NE, please.

SonnyBoy

Yeah, Kaep looked really shaky the fist half.

Sucks, because he was nailing most of his throws in the second half. Too little too late, though.

If he had been able to start the game like that, Baltimore would have never gone up by 22 points. I'm not saying SanFran would have won but it wouldn't have gotten out of hand like it did.

Even in SanFrans last drive. Jim had to call a timeout for Kaep and he just didn't look himself out there. He was late on some throws and to Baltimore's credit, they were making him think.

U2NUMB

Alright Vikings fans lets start a check list.

Sign Smith..
Sign Jennings..
Take Webb out to the swamps and let him go with no map..
Start to build the shrine to AP..
Celebrate our last season in the stupid Metrodome..
Go 15-1 next year..
Not make it to the SB..
Cry..
Start Over in a College Stadium the Next Year..

squicken

I do come off douchey, but there's so many things people accept as gospel that aren't really true. Mark Sanchez had a couple of good post-seasons. Did he "elevate his play", or was it just some random things that happened? People get so wrapped up in the narrative of QBs w/o looking at what is really going on.

Romo deals with a horrendous injury situation all year with his offense, a moron coach, manages to get to a play in game, fails, and so he's now a choker again. Flacco is a 70s QB. He doesn't really lead teams on drives as much as he hits on plays. A team relying on variance is bound to go on hot and cold streaks.

Or maybe I'm wrong and Flacco will prove himself the equal of Brees, Manning, and Rodgers next year

jakncoke feel free to ignore me so the taco taco elite lol taint hey what's a good movie flow isn't disturbed

Fjordson

If he had been able to start the game like that, Baltimore would have never gone up by 22 points. I'm not saying SanFran would have won but it wouldn't have gotten out of hand like it did.

Even in SanFrans last drive. Jim had to call a timeout for Kaep and he just didn't look himself out there. He was late on some throws and to Baltimore's credit, they were making him think.
Forgot about having to use the timeout. Yeah, that was bad.

Oh well. I like San Fran with Kaepernick from the get go next year. Small consolation since you never know when you'll get back to a Super Bowl these days, but I think he can become a quality starter for the foreseeable future.

"3. Green Bay Packers

RB: DuJuan Harris, James Starks, and Alex Green are role-player backs. All have been given opportunities to run with Green Bay's feature back job, but only Harris has somewhat consistently produced and he is viewed internally as a scatback. It's time for GM Ted Thompson to take this position seriously. Thompson is a longtime admirer of Steven Jackson, who may hit free agency. "

Wat. Was this article written 3 years ago? Dude is good but he's at the tail end of his career. At most we'd get 1 or 2 years out of him imo.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I do come off douchey, but there's so many things people accept as gospel that aren't really true. Mark Sanchez had a couple of good post-seasons. Did he "elevate his play", or was it just some random things that happened? People get so wrapped up in the narrative of QBs w/o looking at what is really going on.

Romo deals with a horrendous injury situation all year with his offense, a moron coach, manages to get to a play in game, fails, and so he's now a choker again. Flacco is a 70s QB. He doesn't really lead teams on drives as much as he hits on plays. A team relying on variance is bound to go on hot and cold streaks.

Or maybe I'm wrong and Flacco will prove himself the equal of Brees, Manning, and Rodgers next year

jakncoke feel free to ignore me so the taco taco elite lol taint hey what's a good movie flow isn't disturbed

Are you seriously trying to equate Joe Flacco with Mark Sanchez or Tony Romo?

Joe Flacco is a great QB. He was before this postseason and he will be after this postseason. Mark Sanchez never was remotely any good.

Narag

I guess when your team fucking sucks and has Sam Bradford at the helm you gotta grasp on something and cunty football intellectual is squicken path of fame

I always assumed you were doing the same when the Steelers would suck dick and you'd look up esoteric stats. There's room enough for both of you!

jakncoke

Banned

Im not a chocha, I dont ignore people. In fact! I probably read more of everyones posts than anybody in this thread! But back to what you're saying, You play the games, if whatever prophet team that you think deserved to win the super bowl or whatever the fuck you're getting at doesn't win, it doesnt cheapen the super bowl just because so called prophet teams of the 80s/90s got it done and todays losers suck dick in the playoffs. Honestly 49ers shouldnt even had that chance, I would bet my dick that if the NFL didnt call up JoBu to do some Voodoo that the Ravens would of won by at least 17 points.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
And the other thing I can't understand is how people don't get how Flacco getting something near Brees money means hes Brees / Manning / Brady / whoever you consider to be elite good. Half of the teams in the league don't have a QB. There are less than 5 QBs in the next 2 drafts combined who will be worth jack shit.

So your options are to settle for retreads and scrub QBs across the board or to go "overpay" the one guy who has proven time and time again to be a well above average QB who plays even better in the postseason.

squicken

I always assumed you were doing the same when the Steelers would suck dick and you'd look up esoteric stats. There's room enough for both of you!

Do you know how I know Flacco isn't worth 20m?

59.5% 3702yards 21TD 13INT
59.7% 3817yards 22TD 10INT

Flacco is a big reason why the Ravens have been successful in the playoffs and why they won this year's SB. I think he deserves some credit for that.

The Jets only ever saw "success" in spite of Sanchez.

Top Bottom