• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

jakncoke

Banned
I always assumed you were doing the same when the Steelers would suck dick and you'd look up esoteric stats. There's room enough for both of you!

If you look back to my early days to now, Ive always always posted random stats and things that seemingly I only care enough to post about. Im not saying what squicken is doing is bad because more football is better than the usual banter but he does come off cunty more times than not all im saying

Do you know how I know Flacco isn't worth 20m?

59.5% 3702yards 21TD 13INT
59.7% 3817yards 22TD 10INT
How much do you think he's worth now that the Ravens have won a SB and he won SB MVP? How much do you think a team would pay for him in free agency?

Matt Ryan and Tony Romo both had much better numbers than Flacco this season but how many teams would take either of those guys over him?

Narag

I do come off douchey, but there's so many things people accept as gospel that aren't really true. Mark Sanchez had a couple of good post-seasons. Did he "elevate his play", or was it just some random things that happened? People get so wrapped up in the narrative of QBs w/o looking at what is really going on.

Romo deals with a horrendous injury situation all year with his offense, a moron coach, manages to get to a play in game, fails, and so he's now a choker again. Flacco is a 70s QB. He doesn't really lead teams on drives as much as he hits on plays. A team relying on variance is bound to go on hot and cold streaks.

Or maybe I'm wrong and Flacco will prove himself the equal of Brees, Manning, and Rodgers next year

jakncoke feel free to ignore me so the taco taco elite lol taint hey what's a good movie flow isn't disturbed

I can't say. I do think you'll have a better picture if Flacco continues making it to the playoffs and you have a larger sample to work with. I think he has improved over the years though although who knows what his true ceiling is. Last night may have been it.

jakncoke

Banned
How much do you think he's worth now that the Ravens have won a SB and he won SB MVP? How much do you think a team would pay for him in free agency?

Matt Ryan and Tony Romo both had much better numbers than Flacco this season but how many teams would take either of those guys over him?

Asking for cap hell, what on earth is this.

Narag

If you look back to my early days to now, Ive always always posted random stats and things that seemingly I only care enough to post about. Im not saying what squicken is doing is bad because more football is better than the usual banter but he does come off cunty more times than not all im saying

I have noticed. I'm just messing with you.

Bread

Banned
i would love to see flacco get the money he wants from baltimore, because there's no way in hell he replicates this postseason.

jakncoke

Banned
I can't say. I do think you'll have a better picture if Flacco continues making it to the playoffs and you have a larger sample to work with. I think he has improved over the years though although who knows what his true ceiling is. Last night may have been it.

How can you get higher than winning the sb and winning sb mvp? getting bjs right on the field from kate upton? Or are you saying they wont be back to the Super Bowl for a while if ever?

From ESPN:

Since the start of the 2008 season, no quarterback has won as many regular-season and postseason games as Flacco (63). Flacco is the first quarterback in NFL history to win a playoff game in each of his first five seasons, and his nine postseason victories are tied with Brady for the most by a quarterback in his first five seasons.

I say pay the man.

Narag

How can you get higher than winning the sb and winning sb mvp? getting bjs right on the field from kate upton? Or are you saying they wont be back to the Super Bowl for a while if ever?

Repeating. What if he never makes the playoffs again? Was his performance just a fluke after all?

HoodWinked

they'll probably just franchise tag flacco and when he under performs the next year just negotiate something more reasonable or force flacco to win another superbowl mvp.

jakncoke

Banned
Repeating. What if he never makes the playoffs again? Was his performance just a fluke after all?

Made playoffs 5 straight years, So i think we can rule out that he'll never make the playoffs again. With the defense past old Super Bowl window will probably be closed for at least a couple seasons though.

Flacco should have been in the superbowl last year so I don't know how anybody can say he looks like a fluke at this point.

He was an average quarter back 2 seasons ago, but his playoff run last year and this year shows he's grown into a different caliber of player.

Tom Brady on Joe Flacco said:
“Well, he’s playing great and there’s no better time to play great than in the Super Bowl. He’s had a tremendous postseason and he’s really leading this team. He’s done that, really, since he’s come into the league. So it doesn’t surprise me at all what he’s been accomplishing this postseason. It’s really a great game to watch him play. He’s a super talented guy.”

So classy. Brady is the most classy QB in the league and we are the most classy franchise in the NFL.

220px-Bill_Belichick_2012_Shankbone.JPG

eznark

Banned
Squicken, honestly I don't get what your argument is here. If you don't want the game decided on the field, why do you watch football at all?

I just wanted to say, it's been a fun ride this season with you all, NFL-GAF.

As a former Fark NFL thread monster, I was initially wary of how things would pan out, but it's a special kind of batshit insane here, and I'd have it no other way. Time to wash away the salt, let the Ravens have their shine, and prep some draft scenarios.

Despite an inescapable impending drop-off in personnel and talent, I will say:
Go Falcons.
2013-14 is OUR season.

Wes

venison crêpe

It's all part of the master plan for the Browns to win the division. They pay Flacco £20m. Can't replace retirees. Browns go upwards.

bionic77

Flacco is a big reason why the Ravens have been successful in the playoffs and why they won this year's SB. I think he deserves some credit for that.

The Jets only ever saw "success" in spite of Sanchez.
As much as I hate to say it I agree with you.

While I think Flacco is not as good as anyone appears right after they a won a SB, he is clearly good enough to lead a team to the SB and win it. You can't say that about most quarterbacks in this league.

I still expect Flacco and the Ravens to revert big time next season, but that is a very fucking small consolation prize even if we beat them 3 times and win the division, it still won't take away their Superbowl. For Flacco to get to the next level he has to learn how to read defense and throw intermediate passes, I have never seen that ability in him. All he can do at this point is hand off, screen, or fuck it go deep. But fuck it I am going deep is better than dink and dunk. Ravens proved that. So did the Niners to a lesser extent.

squicken

With Matt Ryan, I just don't know. Some guys are just confusing. He's not as good as his numbers but I don't know if that makes him just above average? Average?

Romo is good imo. Switch he and Eli and he has 2 SBs

Spinluck

image.JPG

The real Ravens MVP.

Funny. It has came to light that Caldwell wasn't responsible for our over conservative-ness back in the day. He was a puppet coach. We should've unlocked his full potential.

Fucking Irsay and Polian.

Jim was a terrible Coach though lol. He should stay a coordinator.

bionic77

You can't have a high % when you can't complete intermediate passes or read the entire defense.

That said, he did win with fuck it I am going deep and Brady and Peyton looked like shit in the playoffs playing dink and dunk.

Its a young mans games and you need a cannon and big plays to win it all.

As much as I hate to say it I agree with you.

While I think Flacco is not as good as anyone appears right after they a won a SB, he is clearly good enough to lead a team to the SB and win it. You can't say that about most quarterbacks in this league.

I still expect Flacco and the Ravens to revert big time next season, but that is a very fucking small consolation prize even if we beat them 3 times and win the division, it still won't take away their Superbowl. For Flacco to get to the next level he has to learn how to read defense and throw intermediate passes, I have never seen that ability in him. All he can do at this point is hand off, screen, or fuck it go deep. But fuck it I am going deep is better than dink and dunk. Ravens proved that. So did the Niners to a lesser extent.

He's pretty good hitting Pitta or Dickson on short to middle passes, but granted tight ends are kind of easy mode for that sort of thing.

I, and my guess is you as well, have no idea what this means.

just a snarky way of putting that the randomness in sports is offset by the multiple games in baseball, and that his appeals to stats mesh with a stereotypical baseball attitude.

but mostly snark.

Fjordson

Mr no gays in the locker room deserves s lot of the credit.
Seriously. Like I said in the Super Bowl thread, maybe this is selective memory or whatever, but it really feels like SF's weakness down the stretch this year was our secondary. Brady tore us up in the second half in that game in New England, and then every game after that we were giving up big plays to every QB we played.

eznark

Banned
Seriously. Like I said in the Super Bowl thread, maybe this is selective memory or whatever, but it really feels like SF's weakness down the stretch this year was our secondary. Brady tore us up in the second half in that game in New England, and then every game after that we were giving up big plays to every QB we played.

49ers safeties were shit all year, nothing selective about your memory. The difference is down the stretch Aldon Smith houdini'd and was never seen again so teams were able to exploit that.

SonnyBoy

Forgot about having to use the timeout. Yeah, that was bad.

Oh well. I like San Fran with Kaepernick from the get go next year. Small consolation since you never know when you'll get back to a Super Bowl these days, but I think he can become a quality starter for the foreseeable future.

It was bad for the stage they were on, but expected cus of his lack of experience. Had he started the entire season, that may have not been an issue for him. I think he's a good player and agree with you. He's a better and most importantly smarter runner than RGIII. But his body size also aids him. When he ran that option up the middle I cringed, lol.

Brady spread them out and made Aldon cover someone.After that game the defense wasnt the same.

bionic77

He's pretty good hitting Pitta or Dickson on short to middle passes, but granted tight ends are kind of easy mode for that sort of thing.
I know my Flacco.

The way to stop the Ravens offense is easy. You focus on Ray Rice and take away the deep ball (making sure your corners are schooled in watching out for the underthrown deep ball where the receivers just stops and the corner runs right into them). Let Flacco try to move the ball down the field a little bit at a time. He has never been able to do it consistently.

The Niners were really built perfectly to beat the Ravens with Andy Lee as their punter. Keep giving them the long field, and wear them out with the running game. But they were very undisciplined and unprepared for Flacco's bombs and that is why FMT is crying and BLarry is celebrating.

Fjordson

49ers safeties were shit all year, nothing selective about your memory. The difference is down the stretch Aldon Smith houdini'd and was never seen again so teams were able to exploit that.
Yeah, wtf, no sacks for like six games or whatever. I keep hearing Niners fans point to Justin Smith's injury in regards to the lack of sacks, but does Aldon know how old Justin Smith is? Dude needs to figure out something for when Smith retires :lol

You know, I'll be kind of sad if the Dolphins never win the AFC East during a year when Brady stays healthy and is playing for the Pats.

Just imagine when Mallett prolongs that streak of you guys not winning the East for another 10 years. Since Brady is just a system QB, Mallett can step in and dominate as well.

eznark

Banned
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/n...29/should-49ers-be-worried-about-lead-referee

2013 Super Bowl: 49ers' Justin Smith worried about lead referee?
By Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
February 3, 2013 10:46 am ET

The controversy over whether Jerome Boger deserves to be the lead referee for Super Bowl XLVII has died down, mainly because there's nothing critics can do about it.

But Boger, who has never worked a conference championship game or Super Bowl, has tendencies worth examining.

Boger's crew called an NFL-high 18 holding penalties against defensive linemen since 2008, about three times the norm, ESPN.com's Mike Sando reported.

That could come into play with the 49ers' Justin Smith. Remember, Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said Smith “gets away with murder” by holding offensive linemen, freeing up pass rushers like Aldon Smith (19.5 sacks).

Boger, of course, will work with an all-star crew Sunday, not his regular crew. But Boger himself is responsible for some holding calls, in addition to roughing-the-passer penalties.

From 2010 through this season, Boger's crews also called an NFL-high 151 offensive holding penalties. Baltimore drew an above-average 18 offensive holding flags this season, and San Francisco drew 17.

Super interesting article to read in retrospect. I don't remember it sneaking it this week between the deer antler nonsense and rampant hatred of gays, but there were a lot of NFL people worried this would be a flag-for-holding fest.

Also interesting that Justin Smith may have been worried about his patented cheating techniques.

I prefer the game the way it was called personally.

Yeah, wtf, no sacks for like six games or whatever. I keep hearing Niners fans point to Justin Smith's injury in regards to the lack of sacks, but does Aldon know how old Justin Smith is? Dude needs to figure out something for when Smith retires :lol

All but one of Aldon's sacks came on a stunt in which Justin held the offensive linemen freeing him up. It's a penalty that is never called on Justin Smith for some reason. When he went down and lost strength in his arm, Aldon becomes useless. He was a HUGE liability last night in the running game.

Top Bottom