• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Pepiope

"@JimmyKempski: Becoming more and more convinced daily that the Eagles are trading up to #1 prior to the draft.”

Maybe Howie needs to come back as GM...

MRSA

Banned
shaq_kobe_jackson_trophies.jpg

WHYYYYYY

bionic77

Kobe is a bum that would be nothing without Shaq and Pau Gasol.
This is cray.

Shaq and Kobe were the greatest combo of all time. Their stats during their playoff run were mind-blowing. I think during one run together they averaged 60+ pts, 25 reb, and like 15 assists. And for the bulk of their run there was really no consistent 3rd option (other than the one year Fisher caught fire and the team was unstoppable).

They just couldn't share the credit.

Oh well, it was awesome while it lasted!

brentech

Front load Cobb and Bulaga, pay House. Draft guys.

Only started following and listening to Wilde in the last year and half I think.
Does he have any credibility when talking about players performance in training camp and all that?

I assume in this particular case, he must, because he didn't play, but he was saying Bradford was god awful in camp. Guess was they only kept him around due to costing a 4th round pick.
Can't remember if it was him or Palmer that he thought they'd be trying at ILB though.

rando14

This is cray.

Shaq and Kobe were the greatest combo of all time. Their stats during their playoff run were mind-blowing. I think during one run together they averaged 60+ pts, 25 reb, and like 15 assists. And for the bulk of their run there was really no consistent 3rd option (other than the one year Fisher caught fire and the team was unstoppable).

They just couldn't share the credit.

Oh well, it was awesome while it lasted!

Your team might be shit but at least it still exists!!

ybI02sF.gif

That's not what he meant.

Can't trade away the future for one pick like the Skins did.

My point is that even if they gave away a lot of picks, it's not going to be nearly as ruinous as Washington, because Washington didn't have a solid team in the first place. The Eagles are arguably only missing a CB or two and a QB to make a solid run in the playoffs. Mortgaging the future is disastrous if it ruins any path you have toward success, it's not necessarily disastrous if it doesn't.

Colasante

The Eagles trading away their whole draft for Mariota would be hilarious.

You would think they would learn from the Washington NFL franchise, but I guess not.

I know public sentiment has turned against it because of Griffin's struggles the past two seasons, but was the RG3 trade really a bad one for the Redskins? He led them to a division title in his rookie season and was on the verge of beating the Seahawks when Shanahan's idiocy caused his injury that started the avalanche of ineptitude. Obviously, the NFL is a results-driven league, so bar none, the results haven't been sufficient enough for the Redskins to justify the trade, but I think conceptually they made the right decision. The Eagles are in an even better position than the Redskins, with a better owner, better coach, better team, and a scheme that's already tailored to Mariota's strengths. I think Mariota to the Eagles could be the rare blockbuster trade that is genuinely beneficial to both sides.

Well, TB was dumb enough to trade a first for 1 year worth of Revis when they weren't even competing for a Super Bowl. Maybe they're dumb enough to let us off easy?

Maybe they'll be dumb enough to take Foles and only part of this draft.

Still, trading the whole draft for the year would be dumb. Not getting Mariota isn't the end of the damn world, they are so close to a decent team.

cdyhybrid

I know public sentiment has turned against it because of Griffin's struggles the past two seasons, but was the RG3 trade really a bad one for the Redskins? He led them to a division title in his rookie season and was on the verge of beating the Seahawks when Shanahan's idiocy caused his injury that started the avalanche of ineptitude. Obviously, the NFL is a results-driven league, so bar none, the results haven't been sufficient enough for the Redskins to justify the trade, but I think conceptually they made the right decision. The Eagles are in an even better position than the Redskins, with a better owner, better coach, better team, and a scheme that's already tailored to Mariota's strengths. I think Mariota to the Eagles could be the rare blockbuster trade that is genuinely beneficial to both sides.

:jnc

Pepiope

Maybe they'll be dumb enough to take Foles and only part of this draft.

Still, trading the whole draft for the year would be dumb. Not getting Mariota isn't the end of the damn world, they are so close to a decent team.
I don't want Mariota at all, but if Chip wants him...Then I'm okay with that too. Chip will either come out looking like a genius or be fired. I'm okay with the Super Bowl or bust mentality if that is the way he wants to do it. We already have 0 Super Bowls. It can't get any worse.

It can get worse, but let's not think about that.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
"Reggie Bush found his career rebirth in 2011 in Miami, under OC Brian Daboll and OL Dave DeGuglielmo. Both coaches on NE staff." - @PP_Rich_Hill

Something to consider if Vereen goes elsewhere.

Mentioned this earlier. Was surprised to see his contract with the lions at such a low number. Could definitely snag him for real cheap coming off a season like that. The injury risk is about the same as Vereen was anyways.

effzee

The Eagles trading away their whole draft for Mariota would be hilarious.

You would think they would learn from the Washington NFL franchise, but I guess not.

Not that I'd be for it but completely different situations. Chip loves Mariota and vice versa. RG3 was forced onto Shanahan. And as others have mentioned, the Washington NFL team had 10 other areas to address.

While I always list 10 or so things wrong with the Eagles, if they had their guy at QB who could take the offense to another level, they could be a legit contender.

Still don't like moving upto 1.

Hell yeah path to draft is back, on right now.

I think Ted Ginn Jr is gonna eventually sign with the Browns.

Also new season of it's always sunny has been pretty good.

Mariota will bust. NFL needs to get over flash card offense Quarterbacks who run a pretty 40.

Godslay

Banned
My point is that even if they gave away a lot of picks, it's not going to be nearly as ruinous as Washington, because Washington didn't have a solid team in the first place. The Eagles are arguably only missing a CB or two and a QB to make a solid run in the playoffs. Mortgaging the future is disastrous if it ruins any path you have toward success, it's not necessarily disastrous if it doesn't.

Would you rather draft a QB in the first round for the next three years and a CB in the 3rd round in one of those drafts? Or blow all those picks to move up and grab that one player?

Busting on that one pick or having them fall to injury is certainly ruinous when you pay such a high price to gamble on them. The Eagles would have to pay a massive price, probably equal to or greater then the Skins did to move up to get Mariota.

It's still a huge price to pay even with a good team. Reason being that good team will get hurt, players will leave, etc. Those draft picks are the guys who are going to replenish the team when that happens. You then get to pick from a less talented group because you spent all your high level picks reaching for an unknown quantity.

If you spend those picks and you land an elite QB, then yeah it's probably worth it long term. Likelihood of that happening is less than a bust or mediocre QB though, so it's probably not worth it.

effzee

Agreed. If he never gets hurt he and the DC NFL team could be completely different today.

Rams have largely done nothing with the picks they received in exchange.

Pepiope

Not that I'd be for it but completely different situations. Chip loves Mariota and vice versa. RG3 was forced onto Shanahan. And as others have mentioned, the Washington NFL team had 10 other areas to address.

While I always list 10 or so things wrong with the Eagles, if they had their guy at QB who could take the offense to another level, they could be a legit contender.

Still don't like moving upto 1.
Eh. Foles had this offense at an elite level back in 2013. We still lost because the defense couldn't stop NO.

Foles is capable of leading a top 5 offense in the NFL. Let's work on getting the defense at that level, rather than hoping another QB can take our offense from 30 PPG to 32 PPG.

Colasante

Well if you're going to go answering your own questions....

To me, it's like saying that the Celtics made a bad choice when they drafted Len Bias #2 overall and he died two days later. Obviously an extreme comparison, but the point still stands: the results bore out that the trade was a failure, but the failure was due to circumstances beyond the trade itself. With the Falcons trade for Julio Jones, you can point to the subsequent lack of depth as the reason for their recent failure, and so I think the trade was a bad idea. With the Redskins, we all know Shanahan is the reason that RG3's career went off the rails, even if RG3 has been the reason it hasn't gotten back on track since, so I'd call the trade (conceptually) a success.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still think the Rams getting RG3 at the end of this year for a sixth round pick and having him be good would be my favorite NFL story of all time.

Would you rather draft a QB in the first round for the next three years and a CB in the 3rd round in one of those drafts? Or blow all those picks to move up and grab that one player?

Busting on that one pick or having them fall to injury is certainly ruinous when you pay such a high price to gamble on them. The Eagles would have to pay a massive price, probably equal to or greater then the Skins did to move up to get Mariota.

It's still a huge price to pay even with a good team. Reason being that good team will get hurt, players will leave, etc. Those draft picks are the guys who are going to replenish the team when that happens. You then get to pick from a less talented group because you spent all your high level picks reaching for an unknown quantity.

If you spend on those picks and you land an elite QB, then yeah it's probably worth it long term. Likelihood of that happening is less than a bust or mediocre QB though, so it's probably not worth it.

The alternative is not having a QB, with no QB on the horizon, that can do anything with the team. They are most likely going to get Byron Maxwell in FA, and have cap space for another. Yeah, it has a chance of ruining their future, but they have the pieces NOW. If they DON'T give anything away and draft as usual, you still gamble and your existing good pieces will still age and get hurt, there's still no guarantee of winning or even being good going down that path.

If the mentality is risk big and potentially win now, that's fine. I think that's different than risking big for one piece of the puzzle when the rest of the pieces aren't in place.

I don't agree with the win now mentality, but it's not like it's a completely invalid path.

Obviously an extreme comparison, but the point still stands: the results bore out that the trade was a failure, but the failure was due to circumstances beyond the trade itself..
These things don't happen in a vacuum. Saying the trade was fine but the circumstances afterwards ruined the results is excusing ineptitude. Niothing more. So what if the thinking behind the trade was sound? Its the execution, development of the player and overall improvement to the organization that matters when your measuring the success of mortgaging two years of high drafting. Its been an unmitigated failure for years therefore the trade itself was a failure. Was it really a "bad" trade? Yes. By every definition.

That's definitely not true.
I agree. They've built a stout front 7 with those picks, added some weapons but find themselves in the very same position a multitude of teams in the league find themselves in - they don't have a QB. If you don't have a QB.....

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Rams are the best team in the league without a QB. If they had drafted RG 3 instead they'd still be a shitty team who might possibly still have an injury prone regressing QB. Or they might be the 49ers from a few years back.

Top Bottom