• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

bionic77

Sometimes you go from faux worst to actual worst. I think your act is getting to you.
They can't all be gems.

It's too bad. I thought we could be pals after I read your well researched and insightful post ahout pats fans.

Is it any better writing posts on a big ass phone? I am starting to hate to write shit on my 5S.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Few questions and thoughts about pats and their cap situation.

-I've asked this before, but I can't quite remember... what's the deal with hernandez and his numbers? If he is found guilty doesn't that get dropped? Could be making that up, but I swear I read that.

- Solder is a must extend, hard to replace LT obviously, and while he has bizarre lapses in judgement, he's at least solid MOST of the time, sometimes awful. Gotta drop that cap number down.

- Another 2 guys that need to drop their cap number- Mayo and Vince. I don't think either have a say in the matter either. Mayo was out the majority of the last 2 seasons and we still got to the AFCCG and then won the superbowl. Vince was speculated as potentially retiring and a lot said he looked gassed (including me). He's a solid guy still, obviously not the amazing one man run defense he once was, but he's a presence and a leader. He shot down the retirment rumors, however I think it speaks to his perceived value, with his injury 2 years ago and his age/weight, I could definitely see him taking the team friendly deal.

- Blank check for Revis is obvious. He made everything work so much better. It even covered up the HORRIBLE pass rush this season. They should tag DMC, and if the cap rises again and some more money comes off the books sign him next season. Could that work?

- D.A. is a tough call. He came on actually at the end of the regular season, not just the playoffs, pretty much starting with that jets game. he showed flashes of his old speed when he started returning kickoffs. I think it's possible the rumors about his groin still being a problem early on were true, and he got back to around 100% towards the end of the season. Regardless he was the 4th option, and he's simply not reliable, I imagine the market is ice cold on him given his history, so I think it's actually possible he restructures.

- Vereen walks. I'd take Ridley despite his fumbling. Blount looks good at times, but he struggles to get going. Ridley was better at getting to the line on time and was a different dynamic. This is all of course if Ridley is as cheap as I imagine he would be for a 1 year prove it deal. Is James White going to be an option next year in replacing Vereen? There are some decent options albeit risky, but worth the shot if cheap enough- Reggie Bush, Knoshon Moreno, etc.

- Is there anything we can do about Arrington? Is he really as good in the slot as people say, or is that more of a product of the system he's in? I'm just too used to seeing this guy get dusted by 3rd, 4th, or even 5th options, not just in the SB but the majority of his career. This would be fine if he was cheap, but his cap number IMO is not worth it when you have younger CBs who could at least fill in for what he does- Logan Ryan (meh), Dennard (potential), and Butler who flashed big time in the preseason and had more than just one play this season, despite the obvious one in the SB. Side note, the tipped ball on Kearse was an excellent play from Butler also during the SB.

I have a few more I'll remember soon enough. Not savy enough when it comes to certain rules regarding the cap to know how all of this would play out though.

MechDX

David Quessenberry ‏@DavidQberry · 2h2 hours ago
I'm officially in remission. Man I love saying that!

Texans o lineman who was diagnosed last year during OTA's with lymphoma . Has been working out preparing for next season. Hope he makes it all the way back.

They can't all be gems.

It's too bad. I thought we could be pals after I read your well researched and insightful post ahout pats fans.

Is it any better writing posts on a big ass phone? I am starting to hate to write shit on my 5S.

Never thought I'd see the day you lost your fastball, uncle bionic, but here we are.

You've finally run of shit to peg against Pats-GAF and are now resorting to the lowest tactics of the low.

Saying that a kid might deserve to get abused because he was a Pats fan? C'Mon man.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Texans o lineman who was diagnosed last year during OTA's with lymphoma . Has been working out preparing for next season. Hope he makes it all the way back.

Luckily it was non-hodgkins. Marcus Cannon has recovered well, despite not being very good.

Spinluck

Never thought I'd see the day you lost your fastball, uncle bionic, but here we are.

You've finally run of shit to peg against Pats-GAF and are now resorting to the lowest tactics of the low.

Saying that a kid might deserve to get abused because he was a Pats fan? C'Mon man.

Bionic on that PeyPey decline. The Pats SB win is destroying this place :'(

All balanced was lost.

ShaneB

I haven't had dinner in 2 days, but I have just finished an entire bag of M&Ms and feel like throwing up.

I'm making some fantastic life decisions at the moment

=( Everything ok man?

Good to hear that news, hope the same for Eric Berry.

Colasante

Few questions and thoughts about pats and their cap situation.

-I've asked this before, but I can't quite remember... what's the deal with hernandez and his numbers? If he is found guilty doesn't that get dropped? Could be making that up, but I swear I read that.

- Solder is a must extend, hard to replace LT obviously, and while he has bizarre lapses in judgement, he's at least solid MOST of the time, sometimes awful. Gotta drop that cap number down.

- Another 2 guys that need to drop their cap number- Mayo and Vince. I don't think either have a say in the matter either. Mayo was out the majority of the last 2 seasons and we still got to the AFCCG and then won the superbowl. Vince was speculated as potentially retiring and a lot said he looked gassed (including me). He's a solid guy still, obviously not the amazing one man run defense he once was, but he's a presence and a leader. He shot down the retirment rumors, however I think it speaks to his perceived value, with his injury 2 years ago and his age/weight, I could definitely see him taking the team friendly deal.

- Blank check for Revis is obvious. He made everything work so much better. It even covered up the HORRIBLE pass rush this season. They should tag DMC, and if the cap rises again and some more money comes off the books sign him next season. Could that work?

- D.A. is a tough call. He came on actually at the end of the regular season, not just the playoffs, pretty much starting with that jets game. he showed flashes of his old speed when he started returning kickoffs. I think it's possible the rumors about his groin still being a problem early on were true, and he got back to around 100% towards the end of the season. Regardless he was the 4th option, and he's simply not reliable, I imagine the market is ice cold on him given his history, so I think it's actually possible he restructures.

- Vereen walks. I'd take Ridley despite his fumbling. Blount looks good at times, but he struggles to get going. Ridley was better at getting to the line on time and was a different dynamic. This is all of course if Ridley is as cheap as I imagine he would be for a 1 year prove it deal. Is James White going to be an option next year in replacing Vereen? There are some decent options albeit risky, but worth the shot if cheap enough- Reggie Bush, Knoshon Moreno, etc.

- Is there anything we can do about Arrington? Is he really as good in the slot as people say, or is that more of a product of the system he's in? I'm just too used to seeing this guy get dusted by 3rd, 4th, or even 5th options, not just in the SB but the majority of his career. This would be fine if he was cheap, but his cap number IMO is not worth it when you have younger CBs who could at least fill in for what he does- Logan Ryan (meh), Dennard (potential), and Butler who flashed big time in the preseason and had more than just one play this season, despite the obvious one in the SB. Side note, the tipped ball on Kearse was an excellent play from Butler also during the SB.

I have a few more I'll remember soon enough. Not savy enough when it comes to certain rules regarding the cap to know how all of this would play out though.

Patriots need to sign Revis to a long-term extension, franchise tag McCourty if they can't work out a long-term extension, ask Mayo and Wilfork for pay cuts/restructure and cut them if they refuse, ask Amendola for a straight pay cut and cut him if he refuses, let Vereen and Ridley walk. They need to work out a long-term extension for Solder too, but that can be done in-season. Arrington is fine. He's an excellent slot corner. You're used to seeing him get dusted because you never see him when he's doing work, like when he shut down TY Hilton in the AFC championship game. He wasn't even bad against Chris Matthews in the Super Bowl, it was a simple matter of 5'10 going up against 6'5. He isn't going anywhere. Logan Ryan, on the other hand, might be straight up bad. I don't think he's going anywhere, but he needs to work on his technique.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Are kids born Pats fans or is it from a shit environment?

It's in the blood like a disease or STD.

I think we need to do additional medical research into seeing whether or not there are defective genes out there so that parents can be warned while the fetus is still developing.

Jarnet87

Patriots need to sign Revis to a long-term extension, franchise tag McCourty if they can't work out a long-term extension, ask Mayo and Wilfork for pay cuts/restructure and cut them if they refuse, ask Amendola for a straight pay cut and cut him if he refuses, let Vereen and Ridley walk. They need to work out a long-term extension for Solder too, but that can be done in-season. Arrington is fine. He's an excellent slot corner. You're used to seeing him get dusted because you never see him when he's doing work, like when he shut down TY Hilton in the AFC championship game. He wasn't even bad against Chris Matthews in the Super Bowl, it was a simple matter of 5'10 going up against 6'5. He isn't going anywhere. Logan Ryan, on the other hand, might be straight up bad. I don't think he's going anywhere, but he needs to work on his technique.

Amendola sucks, its hard to imagine the Patriots can't find a quick receiver to run a bunch underneath stuff either through draft or free agency for cheap.

Colasante

Amendola sucks, its hard to imagine the Patriots can't find a quick receiver to run a bunch underneath stuff either through draft or free agency for cheap.

He doesn't suck at all. The knock on him is entire career has been injuries, not ineffectiveness. He was huge in his first game with the Patriots, then tore his groin and never fully recovered in 2013. He started off slow in 2014, but everyone on offense did because so much was in flux due to the offensive line shuffling. He experienced a mini-resurgence after the Patriots put him on kick returns, then he filled in for Edelman at the end of the season and came on very strong in the postseason, with 11 receptions for 137 yards and 3 TDs, including 2 crucial TDs against the Ravens. I 100% want him back on the Patriots, but his contract doesn't fit his production and his cap hit needs to severely reduced, otherwise, as you said, they can find a quick receiver anywhere.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Yeah Logan looked horrific most of the season. I've heard that about Arrington several times, so I guess it's true if he's not showing up he's doing his job. That being said before Revis and Browner came, that dude and DMC were shown well behind on most plays. Dark days of the secondary.

I also don't buy the whole size difference in the Chris Matthews matter. There were a couple plays where he just played the ball wrong. Either way he's at best the 3rd corner on the team, and he makes too much money for that position at least for his talent level.

He doesn't suck at all. The knock on him is entire career has been injuries, not ineffectiveness. He was huge in his first game with the Patriots, then tore his groin and never fully recovered in 2013. He started off slow in 2014, but everyone on offense did because so much was in flux due to the offensive line shuffling. He experienced a mini-resurgence after the Patriots put him on kick returns, then he filled in for Edelman at the end of the season and came on very strong in the postseason, with 11 receptions for 137 yards and 3 TDs, including 2 crucial TDs against the Ravens. I 100% want him back on the Patriots, but his contract doesn't fit his production and his cap hit needs to severely reduced, otherwise, as you said, they can find a quick receiver anywhere.

I would love him back, but as you said he's way too overpriced given his inability to stay on the field. There are a few decent vets out there who could fill in.

If Vince gets cut I'll be really sad :(

But it's a business so it could happen.

He either restructures, cuts and resigns, or walks.

Godslay

Banned

Amendola is an expensive player no matter what the Pats do with him. Cut him eat tons of dead cap, keep him likely overpaid according to production, from what I understand there isn't much to be gained by restructuring either. Was kind of a mediocre to bad deal so far, Pats are kind of stuck no matter what they do with him.

Colasante

Amendola is an expensive player no matter what the Pats do with him. Cut him eat tons of dead cap, keep him likely overpaid according to production, from what I understand there isn't much to be gained by restructuring either. Was kind of a mediocre to bad deal so far, Pats are kind of stuck no matter what they do with him.

Yeah, I think ultimately signing Amendola and Edelman instead of Welker was the right choice 10 times out of 10, but signing Amendola for 5 years, $28 million was one of the worst contracts Bill has handed out. There was just no way his fragile body could ever make that contract justifiable.

ShaneB

Yeah, just busy with tests and the new place and stuff.

iCE8bvwNiy7kB.gif

It'll be ok.

Godslay

Banned
Bionic sure is whiny lately

Must be manopause

It's called andropause fyi.

Yeah, I think ultimately signing Amendola and Edelman instead of Welker was the right choice 10 times out of 10, but signing Amendola for 5 years, $28 million was one of the worst contracts Bill has handed out. There was just no way his fragile body could ever make that contract justifiable.

12 million Wes vs 18 million JE & DA guaranteed total. Good thing with Wes is short contract so it's over. First year he was worth the money, second year he was a shadow. Wouldn't change it though, created a unique wrinkle in offense in that window.

Respect

Once/if revis gets done everything starts to fall into place...DMC definitely gets the tag worst case scenario and they work out a long term deal at some point. Based on what he has said, he wouldn't even be that upset about getting tagged, for what it is worth.

Vereen is gone, SB guaranteed that.

MechDX

#Texans RT @AroundTheNFL: Andre Johnson could be on the roster bubble if he doesn’t take a pay cut, per @RapSheet.

Well no Shit.

EDIT: why does my phone capitalize the word "shit"?

Respect

Still, the Batman Arkham night trailer looked great, so that's nice.

2014 was a rough year for games...first half of this year with Batman, Witcher, Pillars of Eternity and Bloodborne makes this year great already, better by far than anything I was interested in from last year and it is only half the year.

If we draft Gurly or that Wisconsin RB in the first round...jesus fuck. This team is going to be rebuilding in 2-3 years. I honestly think it'll happen even if we draft well in the first round (IE a o-lineman or d-lineman depending on what happens with Suh) this team is going to get blown up soon.

How many expensive weapons do we need? The majority of good to great RBs in the league weren't even drafted in the first round. Why not target Jeremy Langford in the second or third round.

exarkun

People writing some goddamn novels. Relax, it's the pats. They'll just their way to the SB, the players don't really matter.

Draxal

Logan is a safety not a corner.

Top Bottom