• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Lrrr

I love how some people in this thread are saying McCoy is an over the hill RB who's on the decline when the dude is only 26 years old and one season removed from being the best back in the league. Last year wasn't his fault as the Eagles seemingly forgot he was on the field at times; never called Screens (McCoy's specialty) and split too much time between him and Sproles.

I'm a Giants fan, so I'm glad to see him gone from the NFC East. :)

Godslay

Banned
The Bills either wanted Kiko out (distraction) or didn't think his knee would ever be fully healthy again.

At least according to the twittersphere.

The thing I question is why did Rex give up on him? He's cheap and had a three years left on his rookie contract. That is telling to me. Eagles have shown they dump players on a whim, even though it does make sense for the cap wise.

MechDX

This is Bill O'Brien's decision. OB told AJ face to face what he thought... the truth about his future. Happened last Thursday. They never got around to talking money because of AJ's reaction.

New coaching staff, new schemes... we'd be naive to think this is the only move that'll happen.

Expects Texans to make a run at Cobb and Maclin, and to offer market price for Kareem Jackson. Problem is the are a number of teams wayyy under the cap that will offer over market value for guys like KJ.

-- John McClain on 610AM just now.

Of course its Pancakes so the exact opposite will happen.

Pepiope

I love how some people in this thread are saying McCoy is an over the hill RB who's on the decline when the dude is only 26 years old and one season removed from being the best back in the league. Last year wasn't his fault as the Eagles seemingly forgot he was on the field at times; never called Screens (McCoy's specialty) and split too much time between him and Sproles.

I'm a Giants fan, so I'm glad to see him gone from the NFC East. :)
It's not that McCoy isn't good. It's just that a RB by committee is probably what Chip is moving towards more than a featured back. No reason to pay him that much.

Also, potential all-pro LBs are much harder to find than 1,000 yard RBs.

rando14

So let me get this straight: the Eagles want to trade the farm for a rookie QB who may or may not be any good in the NFL, they trade their top 3-5 RB for a LB coming off an ACL tear and their entire running game goes from great to N/A, so that they can free up a ton of cap space in order to go bananas and buy a ton of FA's.

Not sure I like that...

squicken

Who would want to pay him 10 mil?

Dre is not Reggie Wayne. He still has a good season or two left in him. The problem is paying him AND giving up compensation to the Texans. I think most teams will wait them out and make them cut him unless they can do the deal for a late round pick

Pepiope

So let me get this straight: the Eagles want to trade the farm for a rookie QB who may or may not be any good in the NFL, they trade their top 3-5 RB for a LB coming off an ACL tear and their entire running game goes from great to N/A, so that they can free up a ton of cap space in order to go bananas and buy a ton of FA's.

Not sure I like that...
Chip to Hart last season after he was drafted:

We're putting the family back together

-Chip Kelly

No one believed him.

MechDX

Not sure I like that...

As a fan of a team from the NFC you should LOVE it. recipe for disaster.

Dre is not Reggie Wayne. He still has a good season or two left in him. The problem is paying him AND giving up compensation to the Texans. I think most teams will wait them out and make them cut him unless they can do the deal for a late round pick

Exactly why they will get a pick for him. May be late round but they will get something. All it takes is two teams wanting him. remember the Schaub trade?

CN3PEDP.png

CN3PEDP_zpslza5ipd4.png

Not sure I like that...

Dream Team 3.0 broski

Get on the bandwagon before you get run over

#InChipWeTrust

Not sure I like that...

We'd have to see their FA and draft haul before we can really say anything but at minimum, Chip's system doesn't take advantage of Shady and so they don't especially need him, the cap relief is more valuable if they can get a 'good' RB to throw in a committee while getting a potential stud at a weak position. The kid is young and can definitely bounce back from that injury. I'd hope a team would do due diligence with their trusted medical staff before signing off on it.

Pepiope

Let's say Chip gets MM and gets rid of Foles. What happens if MM flops and Chip leaves in 2 years after his contract is up?

I don't think he'll ever be allowed back in Philadelphia.

cdyhybrid

Let's say Chip gets MM and gets rid of Foles. What happens if MM flops and Chip leaves in 2 years after his contract is up?

I don't think he'll ever be allowed back in Philadelphia.

And now you realize why everyone is making fun of Eagles-Age hyping him up.

He's presumably going all-in and putting the franchise on the back of a guy who has never taken an NFL snap and hasn't taken a live snap in a pro-style offense maybe EVER. He definitely didn't at Nike U, and our high school was running the run-and-shoot when I was attending.

gutshot

As much as I love Shady, I think this was a move the Eagles had to make. It was clear to me that he had lost a step this past season and was already on the decline, even at only 26. His value was never going to be any higher. The fact that they could clear up some cap space and bring in a young, potential stud ILB is icing on the cake.

Pepiope

He's presumably going all-in and putting the franchise on the back of a guy who has never taken an NFL snap and hasn't taken a live snap in a pro-style offense maybe EVER. He definitely didn't at Nike U, and our high school was running the run-and-shoot when I was attending.
Well, we don't know if he's going to get MM...
Okay, we know, but I'm still in denial

Though, I will say that as a fan of an organization who has been "good enough" for the past decade, I kind of like this approach. Gets a bit tiring consistently coming up just short of a Super Bowl.

If this works we could finally get a Super Bowl. If not, cool. Chip is gone, and we go back to the drawing board with a few high draft picks.

JaMarco

Not sure I like that...
Why do people point out Alonso is coming off an ACL injury as if it matters?

Going all-in or playing it safe and continue being mediocre with no championship?

LN9ZAzQS_400x400.jpeg

squicken

Hmmm. Well that's stuff.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...t-no-one-was-willing-6111362.php?t=20e22c95d1

BoB's a clown

Texans coach Bill O'Brien sat Johnson down last Thursday and delivered some, um, interesting news.

O'Brien told Johnson, the franchise's most accomplished offensive player, a man who has averaged 84 receptions per season, including a team-high 85 last year, that the Texans anticipated he would catch around 40 passes next season.

"I just laughed," Johnson told the Chronicle on Monday night. "They gave me my role, and I just laughed at them.

"How do you tell a guy who is used to catching 80 balls a year that he was going to catch 40?"

That's a good question. But don't tip your waitresses yet. The stand-up routine was hardly over.

O'Brien told Johnson he wasn't even likely to be a starter next season, definitely not for all of the games.

Johnson didn't laugh out loud this time. Maybe that wasn't a punch line but an abracadabra.

Because keeping Johnson on next year's team and finding a way for him not to start would be a magnificent trick, considering that behind Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins, the Texans had arguably the worst pass-catching wideouts in the NFL last season.

40 catches? Not a starter? That's absurd. Who is he behind? Posey?

This is probably the worst post you have ever made. WHY RELL WHY!
You people at work even asked me why him of all people. Basically at the time there were two other Lions fans at work. One had a Johnson jersey and the other a Stafford jersey so I went with Suh to completthe trio. Neither one of them work here anymore. I'm done buying jerseys though cause they either get hurt or leave the team. I once bought a Ray Allen jersey a week before he got traded from the Bucks.

The thing I question is why did Rex give up on him? He's cheap and had a three years left on his rookie contract. That is telling to me. Eagles have shown they dump players on a whim, even though it does make sense for the cap wise.

The way he throws himself around with reckless abandon reminds me a lot of Bob Sanders. And like Sanders maybe the Bills thought his body just didn't have the build to sustain that type of play?

I don't know, from our end it looks like we got fleeced but depending on how healthy he is and if his mind is right (alcohol might have played into it) we could win this deal.

squicken

Yeah happened EXACTLY like that. Johnson had no motive for embellishing the truth....Your boy McClain completely shot this down in the same radio interview I just mentioned. Saying it was absurd to think O'Brien said that.

Texans will never speak on it publicly, though. Would be odd for Dre to embellish things like that. But yeah, hard to imagine the conversation went exactly like that

MechDX

Posted? Lance Zierlein's Mock Draft 2.0:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-drafts/lance-zierlein/230604

Texans will never speak on it publicly, though. Would be odd for Dre to embellish things like that. But yeah, hard to imagine the conversation went exactly like that

Ive said since the season ended the roster churn would be more severe this off season than last. Andre was always the elephant in the room no one wanted to discuss but EVERYONE who even has a sliver of football knowledge knew it was coming. There will be more blood flowing form Kirby Drive this week.

Some fellow Giant fans worried about Dream Team 2.
Meh. If Chip wants to give the world away to create the Oregon Ducks 2.0, enjoy. Those fans should worry about the things the Giants are doing. It'll have a bigger effect on how the season plays out..

We're drafting a left tackle when our current starter isn't cuttable until 2017 and is coming off of one of his most consistent seasons.

....ok. The Giants have too many holes to red shirt anyone with the #9 pick. It needs to be an immediate starter.

Godslay

Banned
The way he throws himself around with reckless abandon reminds me a lot of Bob Sanders. And like Sanders maybe the Bills thought his body just didn't have the build to sustain that type of play?

I don't know, from our end it looks like we got fleeced but depending on how healthy he is and if his mind is right (alcohol might have played into it) we could win this deal.

Good thing with trades is no one really knows who got fleeced until later (unless it's just plain obvious Trent Truck for instance).

Good thing with trades is no one really knows who got fleeced until later (unless it's just plain obvious Trent Truck for instance).

Yep. Both teams could come out winners since there were no draft picks attached. Both teams could lose, interesting to see anyway.

Godslay

Banned
Got some Sennheiser HD 558s for work. Pretty cheap in comparison to some of the other headphones out there, but they sound damn good.

Top Bottom