• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

kmag

In my opinion the Eagles got the better end of the deal. That said, I love McCoy and I don't think it was a terrible trade for the Bills, especially if Kiko ends up having some lingering injury issues. The cap hit is the worst part for the Bills, I'd say.

But the does the cap hit really bother the Bills? Before this trade they had $30.5 million free against the cap this year, and nearly $60 million against the cap next year. They now have $20 million free this year and $45 million free next year.

It's an historically cheap team who are rarely up against the cap, splashing some cash under new ownership. They've still got more than enough cap room to make pretty much any move they'd like and that's without getting into the usual shenanigans of restructuring and extensions.

Assuming Chip really just wanted McCoy gone, it's probably a win/win on both sides, although frankly if Chip was looking to move McCoy on as much as had been intimated, I think Buffalo overpaid, they could have just flung a late round pick at Chip and he'd probably have bitten. Alonso is a potentially great young LB, but he's blown the same ACL twice now and as already had hip surgery so there's definitely some risk there for the Eagles mitigated by the fact he's on his rookie deal (although only for another two years).

Whether the Bills have the cap space or not that is a fairly large percentage of the cap to use on one player at the RB position, in my opinion. You can say they have the room but if they're allocating some of that room to x they are losing potential availability for y. The Dolphins had plenty of cap space when they brought in Mike Wallace too.

To be clear, I think McCoy is one of the few RB's who could justify this type of price-tag, but generally speaking it's a move that goes against conventional wisdom in the modern NFL.

eznark

Banned
It's an historically cheap team who are rarely up against the cap, splashing some cash under new ownership.

At the most idiotic position imaginable, when there are actually some significantly impactful FA's available.

Really? I am trying to decide whether or not to pick it up.

It's great. Played for three hours or so last night with madden folks. Most I've laughed in a long time. We didn't play one match of dota all night.

Nuff said.

Godslay

Banned
Whether the Bills have the cap space or not that is a fairly large percentage of the cap to use on one player at the RB position, in my opinion. You can say they have the room but if they're allocating some of that room to x they are losing potential availability for y. The Dolphins had plenty of cap space when they brought in Mike Wallace too.

To be clear, I think McCoy is one of the few RB's who could justify this type of price-tag, but generally speaking it's a move that goes against conventional wisdom in the modern NFL.

Conventional wisdom doesn't always apply. Especially with elite tier RBs with prime years left and if you don't have a QB and run a defense run first style team.

It's a lot of money, but he'll be the core of the offense till they land a QB.

I do understand what you are saying though. 99 percent of the time that applies.

JABEE

The Eagles actually have three years of control over Kiko Alonso, since Alonso's injury made it so last season didn't count as a credit towards unrestricted free agency.

This deal looks pretty good to me.

JABEE

Conventional wisdom doesn't always apply. Especially with elite tier RBs with prime years left and if you don't have a QB and run a defense run first style team.

I do understand what you are saying though. 99 percent of the time that applies.

McCoy did look like he was missing his burst last season, but I'm not sure if that was just a nagging injury (turf toe) giving him trouble.

Shady struggled more behind our injured offensive line, but he's probably not going to look better behind an inferior Bills O-line. I'm happy McCoy will play the rest of his prime years in the AFC.

eznark

Banned

In 6 of the Eagles games last year, McCoy was under 3.5 yards per carry.

The only games in which McCoy was able to run for more than 4.5 ypc (elite-ish line imo) were games they won by 2 scores or more.

McCoy doesn't drive an offense with his running game. He can be a matchup nightmare but only if you are forced to look elsewhere first.

If he doesn't perform as a top 5 RB next season I think it absolutely applies. The jury is still out on whether or not that price is justified.

Doesn't matter anyway, Buffalo isn't going anywhere with no starting QB on the roster.

effzee

Kiko was a rookie in 2013. Before the 2014 season, he suffered an ACL injury. So, he has really only played one season.

So he has had 2 ACL tears (same knee???) and hip Surgery?

Is this true? Chip is going to need to give him tons of smoothies and shakes.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
In 6 of the Eagles games last year, McCoy was under 3.5 yards per carry.

The only games in which McCoy was able to run for more than 4.5 ypc (elite-ish line imo) were games they won by 2 scores or more.

McCoy doesn't drive an offense with his running game. He can be a matchup nightmare but only if you are forced to look elsewhere first.

Yeah, to me it looks like Rex wants Ground n Pound Redux but I'm not convinced McCoy is that type of back.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, to me it looks like Rex wants Ground n Pound Redux but I'm not convinced McCoy is that type of back.

Not even close.

If that's what you want there are going to be a number of really, really good backs in the second (and probably third) rounds that you can snatch. I can see Gurley being the only back taken in the first round, and Coleman, Yelman and Abdullah all being available in the third.

I would kind of love to see Tevin Coleman in an old school ground-n-pound 3.5 and a cloud of dust offense. It's the only way he can be successful in my opinion and after a weak combine I bet he'll be there in the third.

WW told me he's a future hall of famer!!

n=1 is all you need apparently
medium_derek-anderson-082409.jpg

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Not even close.

If that's what you want there are going to be a number of really, really good backs in the second (and probably third) rounds that you can snatch. I can see Gurley being the only back taken in the first round, and Coleman, Yelman and Abdullah all being available in the third.

I would kind of love to see Tevin Coleman in an old school ground-n-pound 3.5 and a cloud of dust offense. It's the only way he can be successful in my opinion and after a weak combine I bet he'll be there in the third.

So then without a real QB, McCoy can't even do his best damage catching out of the backfield. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. Jets line will feast on him regardless.

eznark

Banned
So then without a real QB, McCoy can't even do his best damage catching out of the backfield. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. Jets line will feast on him regardless.

The Bills had better receiving production out of the backfield last year than McCoy provided. Really 2013 was his only super explosive receiving year. 2010 he had a ton of yards but also like 80 catches. Last year he had 28.

I kind of hate that RB's burn out so quickly but at the same time I've come to accept it. Unless you are dealing with a rare gem like Marshawn it's best to cut ties by the time they hit 26/27.

Or you could be the Panthers.

I kind of hate that RB's burn out so quickly but at the same time I've come to accept it. Unless you are dealing with a rare gem like Marshawn it's best to cut ties by the time they hit 26/27.

The Panthers were mismanaged during the Hurney era, highlighted by his godawful contract extension for two RBs. I think J-Stew will put up decent numbers this year as the lone back. He's shown he can carry the load when he needs to.

Godslay

Banned
I think the thing for McCoy is that he is both a high usage back, and when used correctly a force in the passing game.

It's an advantage he has even over Peterson. If you cut out his rookie year (only 155 attempts) he has a 1200 yard rushing, 400 yard receiving totals average for his career. Not to mention he's durable in the sense he's held up over 300 attempt rushing years. He also is something intangible in that he can break a game open.

I get that you can get there with RBBC, and it minimizes your risk. I still think that there are always a couple of elite guys that are worth the price, assuming they perform. In the Bills position it makes sense. For a team with an decent QB, I think it's less viable a trade. It's basically a move for teams that either are QB deficient (with a defense based/run mentality) or a team going all in a for a final run and are missing the RB piece.

Outside of maybe him and Peterson, I do believe that RBs are less valuable on the whole and RBBC is probably the best for most teams.

Anyways, I have to go to work. LOL.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Man, I still remember Curtis Martin being so solid and durable for years and then one bad knee injury and it was a wrap.

Hmmm... I guess this isn't terrible.

The Bills defense showed last year that they were fine without Kiko since you had Bradham and Brown step up. And without a decent QB (unless they do another crazy trade), they need a solid RB for Roman's offense. Freddy is getting old, Spiller will be gone while Boobie Dixon and Bryce Brown being more depth guys. So it likely would come down to either getting some RB in free agency or trying to draft somebody and hoping they can step in. The Bills running game last year was putrid while the defense even without Kiko was solid, so I guess from that POV it makes sense.

gutshot

The local beat writers are saying to expect more big moves from the Eagles, possibly as soon as this week.

Zach Berman @ZBerm
Sounds like Eagles might not be finished yet for this week. Still moves that could be made before they're allowed to negotiate with FAs Sat.

Jeff McClane writes:

Rumblings that the Eagles coach will do whatever it takes to get Mariota persist, and some sources around the league believe a trade with one of the teams with a high draft pick could be on the horizon.

#MariotaOrBust

Draxal

Not even close.

Gordon will be taken over Gurley, you don't draft an RB with a knee issue in the first.

I love Coleman as his team had nothing asides from him, but this is such a good rb draft that it will push all rbs down to third or fourth (and then there will be a run on them).

Fuck someone needs to sign suh already I'm sick of the Miami media talking about him, he's a dirty ass thug that's not worth the cap space while we have little room and so many other more pressing needs at other positions, Fuck you kas and your shitty team

Fuck someone needs to sign suh already I'm sick of the Miami media talking about him, he's a dirty ass thug that's not worth the cap space while we have little room and so many other more pressing needs at other positions, Fuck you kas and your shitty team
I will be pissed if the Dolphins sign him. To be honest I don't see this management making that kind of move though.

Yeah, Curtis was the outlier, lasted till 31. Knowshon may have a bounce back year though if Tannehill improves.
Knowshon is a free agent, I highly doubt the Dolphins will bring him back. It sucks but when you suffer that kind of injury at 26/27 as a RB it's hard to find a place in a league this competitive.

I really like the guy, though, I hope he bounces back for someone.

Jarnet87

Yeah, Curtis was the outlier, lasted till 31. Knowshon may have a bounce back year though if Tannehill improves.

Reports are that the Dolphins will not be bringing him back.

Lawls at the Steelers wanting Polamalu to retire instead of cutting him. They are asking him about 3 years too late, he's been trash for awhile now. Only time you'd hear the guys name recently is for offside flags.

Striker

No, they traded away an RB who's already hit his peak for a second-year MLB with good upside and a cheaper salary.
Good upside if he can rebound following another serious knee injury. If he rebounds nicely and has a borderline Pro Bowl year, he'll probably want a new deal.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
He better rush for 3000 yards and score 24 touchdowns.

I cannot believe I have to get rid of another goddamn jersey so soon. I'm done. I'm buying cheap knockoffs from here on out. Hell, I may just spray paint my own jerseys.

You were here and didn't tell me.

Fuck you

:( I was working bro. It was a very lovely place and we want to go back for vacation though. Perhaps in the spring to see all the flowers and shit.

gutshot

Good upside if he can rebound following another serious knee injury. If he rebounds nicely and has a borderline Pro Bowl year, he'll probably want a new deal.

I don't think he would be eligible for a new deal until after his third season. That's my understanding of how these rookie contracts work. This season coming up is only going to count as his second year since he was placed on the NFI list last season. So the Eagles should get at least two years from Alonso on his rookie contract.

Top Bottom