• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

squicken

Truth Browns fans Don't Want to Hear

Now, we're hearing stories that the Browns front office knew about Gordon's issues as early as two weeks ago. There's also speculation that the team's decision-makers didn't panic when the news broke Friday, fully believing they had a plan to answer whatever issues could result from Gordon's likely absence. That's often the first thing competitors do when faced with an unexpected punch in the gut: They try to make the entire world believe, while resisting the desire to wince and cringe, that they aren't really hurting as badly as one might think.

The Browns can play that game all they want. They can even hope the narrative that 10 new rookies in Cleveland -- along with a well-executed trade with the Buffalo Bills that landed them additional first- and fourth-round picks next year -- will keep fans giddy about the team's future.

The truth is that only the most misguided of loyalists would cling to that bit of folly in light of what just happened.
Thanks to Josh Gordon, the Browns' dream draft weekend just turned into a nightmare, one that will sting even more once this coming season finally kicks off.

@dan_bernstein
Per source w/#NFL merchandising: Avalanche of Rams "Sam" jersey orders has them scrambling. Calls quantity "ridiculous." @YouCanPlayTeam

No word on the amount of orders, but it's supposedly less than Manziel's, more than everyone else's. Insert pic of Mr. Krabs with dollar signs in his eyes here

@dan_bernstein
Per source w/#NFL merchandising: Avalanche of Rams "Sam" jersey orders has them scrambling. Calls quantity "ridiculous." @YouCanPlayTeam

No word on the amount of orders, but it's supposedly less than Manziel's, more than everyone else's. Insert pic of Mr. Krabs with dollar signs in his eyes here

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

@dan_bernstein

Figured someone would draft him mainly for this.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Honestly it doesnt seem like a big deal.
They will be without their top two WRs going into next year having missed out on a draft full of WRs.

Of course, that may also be their silver lining as the market becomes full of WRs pushed off other teams' rosters.

Duxxy3

The more I look at the Garoppolo situation, the less sense it makes. If he loses the backup role battle to Mallett, which I think he will, it only hurts his development, and makes Mallett more valuable when he walks next season.

cajunator

Banned
They will be without their top two WRs going into next year having missed out on a draft full of WRs.

Of course, that may also be their silver lining as the market becomes full of WRs pushed off other teams' rosters.

Theres enough WR talent to fill in the spots. They wont be special like JG but like I said before all his production didnt make a difference without a team around him. They had to get some talent on the team and they did. Its not like they suddenly become super bowl contenders in a year. Gordon will be back and if Manziel is good then they are set up well for next year. If they drafted a WR here then they would have sacrificed other needed positions. I think it will hurt Manziels development but any worthy qb can work with mediocre recievers and still make it work.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gordon will be suspended all year. He won't be back until 2015, and any subsequent suspensions will be just as stiff for the rest of his NFL career. Burleson broke his arm again, too.

I really like the Ravens signing of James Hurst from UNC. He could have been a first or second round pick based on his tape, but he got hurt in his bowl game. So he goes undrafted and Supreme Genius Newsime gets great value and a guy who could start over Rick Wagner at OT. All hail Ozzie!!

Wenning hype train begins here. QB controversy in Baltimore? Let's make it happen.

I really like the Ravens signing of James Hurst from UNC. He could have been a first or second round pick based on his tape, but he got hurt in his bowl game. So he goes undrafted and Supreme Genius Newsime gets great value and a guy who could start over Rick Wagner at OT. All hail Ozzie!!

Wenning hype train begins here. QB controversy in Baltimore? Let's make it happen.

Flacco today, Flacco tomorrow, Flacco forever.

Kave, Wes, BG and others

Great article on Pierre Desir. Totally see why 49ers and others were salty they didn't sign this guy. Hopefully he catches on and becomes a solid contributor.

Wouldn't call Burleson a top WR of ours yet, but totally agree on the second thing you said. they stuck to their draft board and got the best talent available to help this team. Didn't want to abandon the draft board and panic.

They've already signed 4 UDFA WR's, a couple I've heard of before and really like.

cajunator

Banned
Kave, Wes, BG and others

Great article on Pierre Desir. Totally see why 49ers and others were salty they didn't sign this guy. Hopefully he catches on and becomes a solid contributor.

Wouldn't call Burleson a top WR of ours yet, but totally agree on the second thing you said. they stuck to their draft board and got the best talent available to help this team. Didn't want to abandon the draft board and panic.

They've already signed 4 UDFA WR's, a couple I've heard of before and really like.

Jao! *hugs

Patriots7

I hope he pans out better than Sudfeld. With Belichick essentially debunking the Mark Harrison to tight end idea, the depth chart is pathetically thin. Hopefully this Joe Don Duncan character ends up signing, and we get Dustin Keller in the coming days.
When did he debunk MH moving to tight end?

squicken

Squicken is a wolf in sheep's clothing!

Trying to destroy Browns-GAF from the inside.

I'm with you, kave. I wouldn't be mad today if I didn't care. I just don't blindly go along with what my team tries to sell. I hope I am wrong about the WR group and the effect it is going to have on the offense

edit: I believe in HoHoyer!!

e2: ATL podcast also said the there is a rift between Dre and the Texans and it was a buzz at the Draft. Dunno if he will be traded but Cleve needs to look into that

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Interesting that after we draft Manziel he puts up the HoHoyer avatar xD

I still think Hoyer starts the year anyway, but that's just me.

I believe Pettine when he says Hoyer is the starter. Johnny will get a chance but he'll have to be vastly superior to get the job.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
unknownstranger: In general...

1) Carroll and Schneider rate for their team, not the league. Their draft board is constructed with competing against current players in mind.

2) They love SPARQ ratings.

3) They look for unique/special attributes.

4) They emphasize late round picks and UDFAs.

You might as well discard most national draft coverage when it comes to Seattle because they continue to do things their own way. They're not always right, of course, but they are also generally quick to move on from bad picks.

Oh yeah wasn't a fan of the Pats draft either. Ripped on that yesterday. I think Cola is right that teams don't make glaring mistakes like they used to, but some are still better than other. MIA getting desperate for that OL hurt them. With NE, I could've seen snagging Bortles late in round 1. There's at least franchise QB potential. Don't see that with Jimmy G

I will fight you, Squicks.

e2: ATL podcast also said the there is a rift between Dre and the Texans and it was a buzz at the Draft. Dunno if he will be traded but Cleve needs to look into that

Its been talked about quite a bit in Cle. They almost HAVE to make a trade for a vet somewhere. They have the $, they have extra picks, get it done, please.

I'm on board the AJ McCarron train. Not because I particularly like him as a person or a player, but because I am still extremely pro-throwing-Andy-Dalton-into-a-volcano.

Top Bottom