• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Oh yeah wasn't a fan of the Pats draft either. Ripped on that yesterday. I think Cola is right that teams don't make glaring mistakes like they used to, but some are still better than other. MIA getting desperate for that OL hurt them. With NE, I could've seen snagging Bortles late in round 1. There's at least franchise QB potential. Don't see that with Jimmy G

Picking at 19 made it tricky for us

Eleuin

Loopholes aside I lost the bet but so did Hater.
0Cmnv.png

I like how Kas mentions Stafford's stats from 3 years ago when he was ranked 41st instead of last year where he threw for 400 less yards, 12 less touchdowns and 3 more interceptions and got ranked 100th.

squicken

Picking at 19 made it tricky for us

Yeah, I think it's one of those things where they needed to be aggressive and trade up or slide down. Tennessee would've traded at 11. Dallas probably at 16.

fwiw, grain of salt and all that, but STL had Robinson as it's top tackle, and then had Zack Martin ahead of both Lewan and Mathews. They were going to trade up to 17 w/BAL if Dallas had not taken him. Presumably giving up a 2015 first. Sometimes you just have to "lose" a trade and get your guy

minx

A 23 year old Quarterback who throws 41 TDs, 16 INTs and 5,000 yards is not the 100th best player in the league. He should be in the top 10.

But as the jersey sales indicate Stafford does not get the credit or attention he deserves. Eric Decker sold more jerseys than Stafford last year.

Stafford is a family and football type of dude and is not an attention whore like Aaron Rodgers or Colin Kaep so he doesn't receive as much attention as them.

He doesn't need his ego stroked like those insecure dudes because he knows his abilities and that he can sling a football better than almost anyone in the world.

3664528-5059441657-78793.gif

Top 10 player in the league?! Dude. Come the fuck on. You keep going back to one seasons stats where Stafford threw more than any other quarterback. Sure his TD-Int ratio was good. That doesn't make him elite.

Oh and is Sproles a RB or WR since he catches more passes than rushes? You are unbelievably able stubborn, stupid, and sad. A sad sad delusional fan.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I like how Kas mentions Stafford's stats from 3 years ago when he was ranked 41st instead of last year where he threw for 400 less yards, 12 less touchdowns and 3 more interceptions and got ranked 100th.

Yeah, a bad Stafford season has him throwing 29 TDs and 4600 yards. How many QBs can claim that?

And that's with no #2 receiver and his receivers leading the league in drops by far.

It's a BS list. QBs are always the most important position and Stafford is one of the best in the world so he should be in the Top 10 with Rodgers, Brady, Manning etc.

It has not been a banner week for Miami Dolphins players on social media.

Just 48 hours after Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey found himself in hot water over recent Twitter comments, Dolphins second-year player Don Jones tweeted a controversial reaction to the St. Louis Rams drafting Michael Sam, who became the first openly gay player drafted in the NFL.

Soon after Sam was drafted, Jones tweeted "OMG" and "horrible." Those tweets since have been deleted.

Television cameras showed Sam kissing his boyfriend after the former Missouri star received a phone call from the Rams.

Following last year's issues with Miami's locker-room culture, Jones' tweet was enough to catch the attention of Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey.

"I was made aware of it and I was disappointed in those comments," Hickey said Saturday night. "That's not what we stand for as an organization. The draft weekend is a culmination for so many players, their lifetime achievement of their dream to achieve a goal for Michael Sam and all the other players.

"It's a celebration. ... I think it's a great thing for the league."

Hickey also said the team plans to "sit down with Don Jones and address [the comments] and handle it appropriately."

Jones became the second Dolphins player in the past several days to make controversial statements on social media. When Miami drafted first-round pick Ja'Wuan James on Thursday, Pouncey tweeted "I can't wait for our gifts he's getting us." The comment was in poor taste following the Ted Wells report last February, where Pouncey and former teammates Richie Incognito and John Jerry were cited for bullying and harassing former Dolphin Jonathan Martin.

Pouncey shut down his Twitter account after meeting with the Dolphins' brass this weekend.

Sorry your players are still horrible human beings, DolphinsGAF

Doorman

They were in a tough position and no one likely wanted to take the tenner from them. That being said, I think it's a dumb pick.

Also, Ebron will be your #1 TE of the future but I doubt he'll get on the field so quickly. I'd imagine it'd take some time to learn the playbook, etc.

Also Ebron = WR/IR, Pettigrew = blocking TE with check down potential. Different types of players.

I agree and even give the Lions the benefit of the doubt that nobody wanted to move up to 10 at that point, but even then I would have much preferred that they draft anything but yet another "weapon" for an offense that's already loaded down with "weapons." And like I said before, I don't care if Ebron is a tight end or a slot receiver, filling either of those gaps with the tenth overall pick is a complete misuse of that resource. The only selection there that would have annoyed me worse than Ebron would be if they took Lewan.

I don't see any flaws in this analysis.
:D

Ebron is a really good player, I think we all agree about that. But what does it say about our franchise QB that he needs another first round, top 20 offensive weapon? We already have a potent offense with Tate, if we had a weak spot it would be at the #3 receiver spot - something that could have easily been patched in this draft, the deepest draft for receivers in a decade.

What does it say about our offensive coordinator, that he needs to attempt to re-create the exact set up Sean Payton had in NO to make things work? You have Megatron, Tate, Reggie Bush, Joquie Bell, and a redzone monster in Fauria...you can't come up with something without a "Jimmy Graham type?" That's a red flag to me.

I watched North Carolina's QB throw a lot of bad balls, which no doubt contributed to Ebron's drop rate. If Stafford is out there slinging side armed throws aimed at the dirt, how does drafting another weapon fix that? The problem is at QB. He has the weapons, he just needs to throw it to them where they can catch it.

We all just saw GB load up Aaron Rodgers' offensive options in later rounds. Why the hell can't we do that.
We can't do what Green Bay does because the coaching staff apparently doesn't believe that Stafford is capable of doing what Rodgers does...but they're also still too married to Stafford to cut bait and start all over again. At this rate it might be Stafford's hasty contract extension that truly undoes Mayhew.

I also agree with your concerns about this apparent obsession with trying to recreate schemes from other cities in such mirror-image fashion. And as for Ebron...since as I said, his success is tied to Stafford, there's no way to really know whether or not he'll develop into a truly great player. This is probably just my own personal pessimism talking, but frankly I expect that in a few years' time, he won't pan out to be the most productive TE to come out of this draft class. He'd better be the best, and by a wide margin, to justify taking him in the top ten.

Yeah, I think it's one of those things where they needed to be aggressive and trade up or slide down. Tennessee would've traded at 11. Dallas probably at 16.

fwiw, grain of salt and all that, but STL had Robinson as it's top tackle, and then had Zack Martin ahead of both Lewan and Mathews. They were going to trade up to 17 w/BAL if Dallas had not taken him. Presumably giving up a 2015 first. Sometimes you just have to "lose" a trade and get your guy

Yeah I'm surprised hickey didn't move up or down,

LJ11

I would be interested in your top and bottom 3 draft rating.

Rams are tops in my book, SF up there too. Rams at worst have 3 starters out of that draft, which is a good draft. If you get a 3 starters out of a draft you're doing well. Guess you can say that about Houston too, probably netted 3 starters at the least.

Jags had a good draft too, I like Lee, love Telvin, Bortles the big question mark. AFC South did some work this weekend.

I have no clue what the Colts did this weekend. Hard to say who's the worst. Bills draft has big bust potential because of the OL. Kouandjio looked very good in '12, but was ass in '13. Need to get him playing well.

Tune in 3 years from now, we'll all have the answers by then.

That would have been an awful move for St. Louis. It would have taken at least their 2nd round pick, a future first, and a 4th or 5th round pick to move up that far.

MechDX

Thanks LJ

Yeah I know, you can't properly grade a draft for 3 years but I like reading opinions based on immediate reactions then base them vs later grades.

Drakeon

A list of UDFA's the 49ers have signed w/ a little description

QB Kory Faulkner, Southern Illinois, 6-3, 229
Faulkner is a big, strong-armed quarterback who threw 18 touchdowns against four interceptions last year. He missed three games with a broken finger but still finished with 1,997 yards and averaged nearly 222 passing yards a game. Faulkner also can run. He rushed 60 times for 283 yards and scored two rushing touchdowns last year. Jim Harbaugh met with Faulkner during his trip to Miami, Ohio for the unveiling of his brother's statue on campus. He said Faulker has experience in a read-option offense and also has operated under center. He'll compete against Blaine Gabbert and McLeod Bethel-Thompson for a backup job this offseason.

* OLB Morgan Breslin, USC, 6-1, 240
The junior college transfer had a team-high 13 sacks last year but suffered a hip injury that limited him to just four sacks his senior year in 2013. He had a good showing at the Trojans' pro day in March, leaping 35 1/2 inches in the vertical jump and pumping out 26 repetitions of 225 pounds in the bench press.

* TE Asante Cleveland, Miami, 6-5, 261
Sacramento product has great size but was underutilized by the Hurricanes. he only caught three passes as a senior last year.

* C Dillon Farrell, New Mexico, 6-4, 303
All-Mountain West honorable mention has good size and experience at both guard and center.

* OT Fou Fonoti, Michigan State, 6-4, 308
Fonoti has played in 28 career games with the Spartans, including all 12 as a senior. He started the last nine games at right tackle.

* S L.J. McCray, Catawba, 6-0, 215.
McCray is a very athletic safety who stood out with an impressive 41-inch vertical leap at his pro day. His best fit immediately might be on special teams coverage units. The 49ers' top players there -- C.J. Spillman, Bubba Ventrone, Dan Skuta and Kassim Osgood -- are entering the final year of their contracts. McCray also has returned kicks.

* ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford, 6-2, 245
Skov, of course, is familiar to Harbaugh and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio who coaches him at Stanford. Skov had a fantastic season in 2010 but suffered an ACL injury the following year. He rebounded this past season and was a finalist for the Butkus Award. He recorded a team-high 109 tackles (62 solo), 13 tackles for loss and 5 1/2 sacks.

From the 49ers Beat Reporter at the Sacramento Bee.

Complete UDFA list for Raidas. Austin Flynn can grow an amazing beard and looks like a psycho.

021313-CFB-Arkansas-Austin-Flynn-LA-PI_20130213133452517_660_320.JPG

2qlew51.jpg

Karl Williams, FB, Utah

D.J. Coles, WR, Virginia Tech

Mike Davis, WR, Texas

George Atkinson III, RB, Notre Dame

Scott Simonson, TE, Assumption College

Danny Kistler, OT, Montana

Noel Grigsby, WR, San Jose State

Jake Murphy, TE, Utah

Carlos Fields, LB, Winston Salem State

Austin Flynn, DE, Arkansas

JABEE

ebu42Fk.jpg

Nick Foles should be fucking one on every top quarterback list! He's fucking legendary! Give him the damn MVP award. 27-2 TD-INT Ratio. The best ratio in NFL History. 7 TDS in one game!!!! Nick is a leader! Nick was the Pro Bowl MVP.

Get out of the way Stafford, you old hog! There is a new best QB in town and his name is Nickfoleon Dynamite. This ain't fucking Waterloo! My man Nick isn't high off his ass on opiates! The entire combined military force of Europe ain't coming this way!

Nick Foles is the best. Period. End of story. No need to #RiseNGrind No need to #RestoreShit!

Nick is here. So get used to it. Stafford can go back to flipping hamburgers and folding tacos for the Detroit Barry Sanders!

You're out!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The problem is a whole lot of them are spoiled and probably not very life smart. Im sure growing up a lot of players had incredible challenges but once in the nfl its like fantasyland for the higher paid ones.
We like players that have overcome adversity here in Seattle! It's just too bad that this usually means an ACL tear or two.

Top Bottom