• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Talon

Speaking of ASOIAF, just watched like episode 5 or something of this season. That sword through the mouth should be on the cover of every book. It's the perfect image for the gratuitous, meaningless garbage that the series turned into. Just put a set of tits in the background.
The sword's pommel should be a pair of tits.

rando14

Speaking of ASOIAF, just watched like episode 5 or something of this season. That sword through the mouth should be on the cover of every book. It's the perfect image for the gratuitous, meaningless garbage that the series turned into. Just put a set of tits in the background.

The show is fun to watch but they've really dropped the ball with certain characters.

Do show watchers even know who Rhaegar Targaryen is? Has Kevan Lannister even been on screen for more than 5 seconds total so far?

The sword's pommel should be a pair of tits.

Daario is the worst!!

Fox318

BoF6_-BIMAA7eAz.jpg:large

Well....damn

yY7FjrG.jpg

Draxal

Could have easily been done in 8 books or less. The first 3 books are his best work. He got lazier which each book.

Martin and Jordan and these other greedy fucks just don't know how to edit.

Fourth is by far the best book. It gets really hard to read 7 to 10. Milquetoast Perrin was so cringe worthy.

Talon

What substance? The books were always pulp with some great world building.

He's not a hack like Salvatore, but it's nowhere close to literature.

Vyroxis

Banned
I still haven't read any of the books, or watched the show. Hell, before the show came out I didn't even know the books existed.

I figure I will wait till they are both completed, think about diving in, then forget they ever existed at all.

Draxal

I think Martin is a really good writer. The quality of his prose is what sets him apart from other fantasy writers, IMO.

This is an amazing post.

He writes fantastic dialog. Dat television background.

He's good at structure but the quality of his prose is lacking. GGK is a fantasy writer with excellent prose as a reference (and let's be real here; prose standards for fantasy bar is a bar that's extremely low).

rando14

I think Martin is a really good writer. The quality of his prose is what sets him apart from other fantasy writers, IMO.

I agree with Talon, GRRM is great at world building and pretty decent at dialogue.

If you want high quality prose, read something by writers like Guy Gavriel Kay, the comparison isn't even close.

Dragon

Banned
Compared to certain other authors, sure.

Hmmm if Sanderson releases a Stormlight Chronicle every two years, it'll have taken 20 years to finish it... I'll be a filthy old by then :(

Sanderson is pretty prolific, he's been putting out multiple books for a couple years now, just not in the same series.

I agree with Talon, GRRM is great at world building and pretty decent at dialogue.

If you want high quality prose, read something by writers like Guy Gavriel Kay, the comparison isn't even close.

My man! Tigana, Lions of Al-Rassan are two of my favorite books ever.

eznark

Banned
Yep, the world is great. The dialog is fine when he doesn't get into those bizarre "nuncle" ruts. It's everything else that sucks.

Spinluck

Lol, fuck all y'all.

The new Surface Pro 3 looks nice, so pricey though. I used to think tablets were worthless because we had laptops, but they're getting pretty close.

spoiler alert no one has spoiled anything

Narang post seems like it hint something about a character that is currently on the fence of life and death currently on the show.

So yea maybe he doesn't come out and say it but... I rather still me 50/50 on if this character lives or die.

Dragon

Banned
Narang post seems like it hint something about a character that is currently on the fence of life and death currently on the show.

So yea maybe he doesn't come out and say it but... I rather still me 50/50 on if this character lives or die.

Spoiler Alert, Martin uses the word cunt more than most writers use the word the.

Dragon

Banned
2 grand for the top end model.

These dudes lost their everlasting minds

MS really doesn't have a handle on why people buy iPads and it's not to have a desktop replacement capable device. I think the Surface as a product is sweet, it's just not for the customers they're trying to get.

Bread

Banned

he literally hinted nothing

don't worry we know the deal, we wouldn't spoil anything without tagging it.

eznark

Banned
MS really doesn't have a handle on why people buy iPads and it's not to have a desktop replacement capable device. I think the Surface as a product is sweet, it's just not for the customers they're trying to get.

Dumbass it's for enterprise customers who are looking to go away from a laptop and like the sexy ipad.

It's smart to go after an essentially untapped market. They aren't going to beat Apple on "sexy for the masses" anytime soon, may as well be an honest to goodness productivity device.

I'm seeing it a lot in corporate settings already and this Surface 3 seems like a massive step up.

Talon

I'm not sure even Microsoft has a "user story" in mind with the Surface line. The first iteration seemed more like a market target than anything else, but it didn't pan out. The second one was a lot more sure as a separate category and actual product, but the market has yet to respond.

Meanwhile, we keep on waiting for another basic product category to emerge that Microsoft appears to be ignoring.

BYOD really fucked with Microsoft.

Dragon

Banned
Dumbass it's for enterprise customers who are looking to go away from a laptop and like the sexy ipad.

It's smart to go after an essentially untapped market. They aren't going to beat Apple on "sexy for the masses" anytime soon, may as well be an honest to goodness productivity device.

I'm seeing it a lot in corporate settings already and this Surface 3 seems like a massive step up.

I don't agree. The Windows 8 App Store is a clusterfuck of awfulness and frankly the iPad is already a 600 dollar device that does what most people need good enough.

eznark

Banned
I don't agree. The Windows 8 App Store is a clusterfuck of awfulness and frankly the iPad is already a 600 dollar device that does what most people need good enough.

It runs excel amazingly well.

Sold.

I assume it also runs Outlook well but I never played with it. Excel though? Godly. So so good.

bionic77

I think Patrick Rothfuss is a pretty fantastic writer who also does fantasy books. I find his quality to be way above Martins.

Martin to me was great at the beginning because he was writing the fantasy version of Lost with a new cliffhanger, twist or surprise every few chapters. But eventually you kill off so many characters by surprise and chance (in ASOIAF the worst thing to do is have the certain advantage in any battle because either chance, betrayal or Tywin Lannister are going to turn it around and fuck you) and you have to sit down and write a fucking story. That is what he has sucked massive dick at. I think it is because he has no idea what he is doing but others seem to think otherwise. Hopefully he proves he wrong and puts out great books and finds a way to wrap everything up.

Jordan sucked in a different way. His story was set out in the first book but he just farted and meandered too much on small shit before getting to the conclusion.

Draxal

I think Patrick Rothfuss is a pretty fantastic writer who also does fantasy books. I find his quality to be way above Martins.

Martin to me was great at the beginning because he was writing the fantasy version of Lost with a new cliffhanger, twist or surprise every few chapters. But eventually you kill off so many characters by surprise and chance (in ASOIAF the worst thing to do is have the certain advantage in any battle because either chance, betrayal or Tywin Lannister are going to turn it around and fuck you) and you have to sit down and write a fucking story. That is what he has sucked massive dick at. I think it is because he has no idea what he is doing but others seem to think otherwise. Hopefully he proves he wrong and puts out great books and finds a way to wrap everything up.

Jordan sucked in a different way. His story was set out in the first book but he just farted and meandered too much on small shit before getting to the conclusion.

Rothfuss's second book was horrific, as much as I give Martin shit about his tangents. Rothfuss spend 600 pages in fairy land when he could have just spent 2 chapters

JABEE

Real Excel on the go is a godsend for businesses.

Top Bottom