• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

gutshot

JABEE, drinking that Kool-aid.

I'm not as down on the Eagles chances as YH, but I think 12-4 is an extremely optimistic projection. That would be best case scenario, given the schedule. At worst, I see 9-7. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle with 10 or 11 wins. I think the Redskins and Giants will be somewhat improved, but the Cowboys are going to absolutely suck this year. I think 10 wins should be enough to win the division again.

JABEE

Jabee you have the Eagles going 6-0 in the division. Last year the division was a total dumpster fire and they only went 4-2. The Skins will be improved and Eli wont be a double agent next year. 6-0 seems crazy to me.

The games the Eagles lost in the division last year were flukes. An unprepared Barkley played for most of the Giants game after I believe a still injured Vick was re-injured. The other game had Foles playing with a concussion until the second half of the game.

That's why I said my record is contingent on the NFC East continuing to be a dumpster fire. I think 6-0 in the NFC East was up for grabs last season.

Edit: Konka, I think that would 10-11 wins is about where I would be too, but I'm feeling rather confident in the divisional games. That is my justification. The Cardinal and Panthers games could go either way. I'm just leaning towards optimism.

effzee

Your offense looked amazing against the Eagles, good thing we made so many mofve to improve our defense. Oh wait

But the draft man! The Draft will solve all our problems!

Jabee you have the Eagles going 6-0 in the division. Last year the division was a total dumpster fire and they only went 4-2. The Skins will be improved and Eli wont be a double agent next year. 6-0 seems crazy to me.

I can see them going 4-2 again to be honest. Yes the division will be much improved but they still all have issues. The two losses the Eagles had were both games where Foles/Vick were hurt and hobbled and we had to rely on Barkley to pull out a win.

Dallas did nothing to improve their D yet.

Redskins also still have a mediocre D, new first time head coach (hope he fails!), and their special teams were also atrocious. Still I see the Skins improving a lot.

Giants are the real question mark. Even going into last season they weren't expected to be so terrible yet they were. Just don't know which team you are going to get. But considering the moves they have made over the off season plus the draft remaining I also see them being much better.

squicken

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn
Bucs would seriously consider Johnny Manziel if on the board at 7th pick. Team sees him as very unique, good arm and accuracy, great athlete

LZ reported that a couple of weeks ago, and now ESPN and NFLN are as well. Also seeing more and more JFF to STL at 2, which would rock. One of the few QBs on Earth who is better than Bradford

effzee

JABEE, drinking that Kool-aid.

I'm not as down on the Eagles chances as YH, but I think 12-4 is an extremely optimistic projection. That would be best case scenario, given the schedule. At worst, I see 9-7. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle with 10 or 11 wins. I think the Redskins and Giants will be somewhat improved, but the Cowboys are going to absolutely suck this year. I think 10 wins should be enough to win the division again.

I am thinking more along these lines.

The schedule does look brutal especially the back end with division games, but you just never know who is going to have a down year or what changes teams make from now till opening day.

And the Eagles could be that much better! I don't know how but maybe good old team chemistry, year 2 of the Chip Dynasty, and just working out super hard will improve the D. Plus the draft!

Foles didnt play well in either game against Dallas even though the Cowboys had the worst defense in football. The Eagles also had to hold on for dear life against the Skins the 2nd game. If the Eagles can go 4-2 or better in the division they should definitely win it.

Howie and Chip are meeting with HaHa today, hopefully he falls to 22nd. Get him and the best WR left in the 2nd round and I will be feeling slightly better about next year.

MechDX

LZ reported that a couple of weeks ago, and now ESPN and NFLN are as well. Also seeing more and more JFF to STL at 2, which would rock. One of the few QBs on Earth who is better than Bradford

Bills would take JFF and suddenly the Rams will select him? Coincidence?

Smokescreens!!!

for BG of course

Striker

The other Eagle-Giant game was also close until Nicks quit on his route resulting in a key turnover. And they had no RB's last season. Jennings is like Emmitt Smith compared to last year's group. Still lack threats at WR outside Cruz and still no TE. JR needs to hit the draft big time. OL is still a question mark but if Pugh and Schwartz stay health they at least still have two quality OL instead of just one.

JABEE

The Eagles need a corner in this draft. I know everyone is focusing on safety, which is still a weakness, but I don't want the depth of this team at the corner position to be exploited again. Roc Carmichael should never have to be forced into a game. The Eagles need to have more than 2 corners that can cover big receivers on the outside. I want the Eagles to seriously consider drafting one in the first three rounds.

effzee

Foles didnt play well in either game against Dallas even though the Cowboys had the worst defense in football. The Eagles also had to hold on for dear life against the Skins the 2nd game. If the Eagles can go 4-2 or better in the division they should definitely win it.

Howie and Chip are meeting with HaHa today, hopefully he falls to 22nd. Get him and the best WR left in the 2nd round and I will be feeling slightly better about next year.

Actually the Eagles had to hold on to dear life in both games against the Skins. In fact all season big leads felt small because the D was just that bad.

I think the Eagles are banking on Foles and offense to be simply better because it will be year 2 of the regime plus whatever skill position players they add during the draft.

Defense hasn't improved at all. Division games are 50/50 no matter if the teams are good or not. I can see them going 4-2 and just as easily going 2-4 against the division. A lot will depend on how well RG3 is recovered and which Eli shows up.

The Eagles need a corner in this draft. I know everyone is focusing on safety, which is still a weakness, but I don't want the depth of this team at the corner position to be exploited again. Roc Carmichael should never have to be forced into a game. The Eagles need to have more than 2 corners that can cover big receivers on the outside. I want the Eagles to seriously consider drafting one in the first three rounds.

They gave Nolan Carrol $5.25m to fix that problem. I will be livid if they use a pick in the 1st 3 rounds on a CB. They have much bigger needs then that.

gutshot

Divisional games are almost always going to be close, hard-fought contests. But the Eagles are clearly the best team in the division right now. I anticipate the Giants will bounce back a little this year, but the Cowboys will be lucky to win 5 games. So that all evens out.

The Redskins are the wild card; with a healthy RG3, DJax joining the squad and Gruden now running the show, they could be great. Or RG3 could continue to regress, DJax could get concussed early on and quit late in the season while Gruden loses the locker room and the whole thing just implodes. It's impossible to know.

effzee

All their biggest needs are on defense. Honestly with the #22 pick if they pick the best defensive player available I won't be too made. We could use another DE, OLB that fits the 3-4, Safety, or Corner. Someone who makes an impact day 1 to improve the defense.

Unfortunately they only have so many picks, they have a huge need at WR now, and didn't really participate in FA. Lets hope their gamble pays off. I just don't see the defense making a huge improvement just on its own without massive infusion of talent.

I see the NFCE being won by whoever has the best or most improved D. All the teams seem to have a good to great offense if they remain healthy.

3sorY.jpg

(credit to The Coli of course)

almost busted out laughing at work

JABEE

They gave Nolan Carrol $5.25m to fix that problem. I will be livid if they use a pick in the 1st 3 rounds on a CB. They have much bigger needs then that.

I don't think just adding Carrol is enough. Marsh hasn't really proven anything on the other side and Boykin is stuck in the slot. Maybe they shouldn't draft a corner with one of their top picks, but they need more youth and talent at that position.

OLB should be the priority position at the top pick. They may want to draft a receiver now that Desean is gone.

Priority: OLB, WR, S, CB

On the Dan Patrick show today he said that he has heard the Cowboys will take JFF if he falls to them. I am curious what Cowboy fans think of that. Seems nuts to waste a 1st when Romo maybe only has a few years left, but I guess the Cowboys just have to many holes to fill and make a run this year or next.

JABEE

All their biggest needs are on defense. Honestly with the #22 pick if they pick the best defensive player available I won't be too made. We could use another DE, OLB that fits the 3-4, Safety, or Corner. Someone who makes an impact day 1 to improve the defense.

Unfortunately they only have so many picks, they have a huge need at WR now, and didn't really participate in FA. Lets hope their gamble pays off. I just don't see the defense making a huge improvement just on its own without massive infusion of talent.

I see the NFCE being won by whoever has the best or most improved D. All the teams seem to have a good to great offense if they remain healthy.

The Eagles better hope that Mychal Kendricks becomes a more consistent playmaker.

I think the Eagles biggest need right now is pass rushers at any of the front 7 positions. That should be the focus of this draft. I suspect the Eagles will once again prioritize the offense again in the first round. They want to replace Desean.

JABEE

On the Dan Patrick show today he said that he has heard the Cowboys will take JFF if he falls to them. I am curious what Cowboy fans think of that. Seems nuts to waste a 1st when Romo maybe only has a few years left, but I guess the Cowboys just have to many holes to fill and make a run this year or next.

Romo is also coming off of a pretty serious injury. He's been beaten down pretty hard over his career and he isn't getting any younger. If the Cowboys feel like this season is a rebuilding year and that Manziel is a star player at the most important position on the field, I would have to imagine they could justify going with a quarterback that may not even get a chance to play this season.

The Eagles better hope that Mychal Kendricks becomes a more consistent playmaker.

I think the Eagles biggest need right now is pass rushers at any of the front 7 positions. That should be the focus of this draft. I suspect the Eagles will once again prioritize the offense again in the first round. They want to replace Desean.

I think the biggest needs are S, WR, NT. Beanie got pushed all over the field by the Saints. I have no doubt that other teams noticed that, they need someone that can plug the middle and at least force teams to run outside.

effzee

Heard this on NFL Live yesterday too. I think Ed Werder brought it up. Said there is some talk that when their pick comes up IF all their first round graded defensive players are gone AND IF JFF is still available they will take him. Romo is 34 coming off of two back surgeries and Jones won't be able to resist the box office that is JFF.

I wonder if JFF does somehow slip Chip gets enticed to take him. I don't even know how I would react to that.

effzee

Their biggest need is any player on D who can impact the game. They have none. They are improved from 2-3 seasons ago where now they have capable players who can hold their own and make plays time to time. They don't have a stud at any unit.

That's why I said at pick #22 if there is a player available who can impact the game on his own from the very start take him. Doesn't matter if he is DL, LB, S, or CB. If you improve the pass rush, you mask a lot of the shortcomings of the secondary. If you improve the LBs, you can run a more traditional 3-4 improve the pass rush and run D. Again helps the secondary. If you improve the secondary then it helps the rush get to the QB if the top target is blanketed. Works hand in hand.

And if this draft is as deep as advertised for WRs, then waiting until rounds 2 or 3 shouldn't be a problem for replacing Desean. Again I rather not have that need but it is what it is now. I would want them to go with defense in the first round over a WR unless every single defensive player they had highly regarded is gone and a WR is available.

Farooq

Banned
Divisional games are almost always going to be close, hard-fought contests. But the Eagles are clearly the best team in the division right now. I anticipate the Giants will bounce back a little this year, but the Cowboys will be lucky to win 5 games. So that all evens out.

The Redskins are the wild card; with a healthy RG3, DJax joining the squad and Gruden now running the show, they could be great. Or RG3 could continue to regress, DJax could get concussed early on and quit late in the season while Gruden loses the locker room and the whole thing just implodes. It's impossible to know.

Dude c'mon. Our floor is 8-8 with Romo.

Heard this on NFL Live yesterday too. I think Ed Werder brought it up. Said there is some talk that when their pick comes up IF all their first round graded defensive players are gone AND IF JFF is still available they will take him. Romo is 34 coming off of two back surgeries and Jones won't be able to resist the box office that is JFF.

I wonder if JFF does somehow slip Chip gets enticed to take him. I don't even know how I would react to that.

In the Saints playoff game Foles didnt keep the ball even one time on any of the running plays. The defenders were crashing down hard on Shady. If Foles had run it a few times it might have kept drives alive and also opened things up more for Shady. Foles made a ton of big plays last year but if I had my choice for this offense I would much rather have a QB that can make teams pay with his feet. I would draft JFF in a fucking heartbeat if I had the chance.

JABEE

Their biggest need is any player on D who can impact the game. They have none. They are improved from 2-3 seasons ago where now they have capable players who can hold their own and make plays time to time. They don't have a stud at any unit.

That's why I said at pick #22 if there is a player available who can impact the game on his own from the very start take him. Doesn't matter if he is DL, LB, S, or CB. If you improve the pass rush, you mask a lot of the shortcomings of the secondary. If you improve the LBs, you can run a more traditional 3-4 improve the pass rush and run D. Again helps the secondary. If you improve the secondary then it helps the rush get to the QB if the top target is blanketed. Works hand in hand.

And if this draft is as deep as advertised for WRs, then waiting until rounds 2 or 3 shouldn't be a problem for replacing Desean. Again I rather not have that need but it is what it is now. I would want them to go with defense in the first round over a WR unless every single defensive player they had highly regarded is gone and a WR is available.

I like your plan. The Eagles need a stud anywhere in their defense.

Crisco

Banned
Rough schedule for the Panthers, especially October. Three prime time games is nice though. Playoffs are definitely doable even with some offensive decline. We could definitely be one of those lower seeds that make a run in January.

cajunator

Banned
Kind of a rough way to start the season. Saints have 4 of 6 games at the beginning away but it does mean we get a lot of home games towards the back of the schedule. 5 Primetime games too. Can remember when having one or two was a big deal.
But anyway squeeeeeeeeee

Farooq

Banned
The thought of Romo not being the Cowboys QB is too much for me.. *Shudder* Don't even want to think about it.

In all seriousness, I really would not know what to think if JFF was drafted by the Cowboys. I don't think it will happen though, Jerry rarely if ever drafts a QB in the first two rounds. In fact they rarely draft QBs period.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Kap is pure of heart. Lots of people want to marry him but he knows it's not the time so no need to break someone's heart. Wussle is a deceiver who leaves his high school sweet heart before he gets his big payday. Doesn't the bible forbid divorce?! Or is that another of the many "follow only when convenient" rules that churchies follow? For shame wussle

Only two ways out: Infidelity and desertion by an unbeliever.

Did he file or did she? That would change this whole thing.

The thought of Romo not being the Cowboys QB is too much for me.. *Shudder* Don't even want to think about it.

In all seriousness, I really would not know what to think if JFF was drafted by the Cowboys. I don't think it will happen though, Jerry rarely if ever drafts a QB in the first two rounds. In fact they rarely draft QBs period.

Yeah just Carter and Mcgee since 2001.

Top Bottom