• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiKeD

Banned
My Browns wins this season in bold:

Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 8, Miami, 1 p.m.
Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 15, at Baltimore, 1 p.m.
Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 22, at Minnesota, 1 p.m.
Week 4: Sunday, Sept. 29, Cincinnati, 1 p.m.
Week 5: Thursday, Oct. 3, Buffalo, 8:25 p.m.
Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 13, Detroit, 1 p.m.
Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 20, at Green Bay, 4:25 p.m.
Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 27, at Kansas City, 1 p.m.
Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 3, Baltimore, 4:25 p.m.
Week 10: BYE
Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 17, at Cincinnati, 1 p.m.
Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 24, Pittsburgh, 1 p.m.
Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 1, Jacksonville, 1 p.m.
Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 8, at New England, 1 p.m.
Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 15, Chicago, 1 p.m.
Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 22, at NY Jets, 1 p.m.
Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 29, at Pittsburgh, 1 p.m.

Or we beat the Lions at home and lose in Cincy. 9 wins, let's do it.
My offseason hopes will probably get crushed after week 3 or 4, like every fucking year
:(

Milchjon

Just Watertown, but hearing that they're going into Brighton and Cambridge some. I haven't heard sirens in Allston

Seems like my friend in Allston slept through all of this, he was kind of surprised to hear about it. Although I think he's slightly further away from the action...

Wes

venison crêpe
Ian Rappaport says Falcons want to trade up likely for a corner. Vikings looking to trade up to guarantee a WR.

Raiders may want to trade down if they don't like Floyd. Bills, Browns and Chargers also mooted by him to be looking to trade down.

Love it when people feed Lunchbox.

2013 THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Sept. 12: Jets at Patriots

Sept. 19: Chiefs at Eagles

Sept. 26: 49ers at Rams

Oct. 3: Bills at Browns

Oct. 10: Giants at Bears

Oct. 17: Seahawks at Cardinals

Oct. 24: Panthers at Buccaneers

Oct. 31: Bengals at Dolphins

Nov. 7: Redskins at Vikings

Nov. 14: Colts at Titans

Nov. 21: Saints at Falcons

Dec. 5: Texans at Jaguars

Dec. 12: Chargers at Broncos

Missing November 28th game - Ravens at Steelers.

Talon

I really hope more than anything that these guys aren't Muslim. Gonna be a massive shitstorm if they are.
It doesn't really matter who they are ethnically, culturally and religiously.

We should aim to be at the point where we don't conflate the actions of individuals to the groups

The fringe actions of the fools in society taking "revenge" don't represent the mainstream.

Regardless, assymetric warfare: proving an effective means of terror and economic damage since...ever.

We should aim to be at the point where we don't conflate the actions of individuals to the groups.

Regardless, assymetric warfare: proving an effective means of terror and economic damage since...ever.

Yes it does, because pigeonholing is what people do.

It's nice to hope for an ideal of the attempt for tolerance and understanding, but that's not human nature - we are programmed to judge a book by its cover.

If those guys are Muslim, even Russian Muslims, people will automatically link them with 9/11. Only difference will be that people will turn to be suspicious of the faith itself rather than just Arabs.

edit: who am I kidding, they'll just call those guys arabs.

Draxal

We should aim to be at the point where we don't conflate the actions of individuals to the groups

The fringe actions of the fools in society taking "revenge" don't represent the mainstream.

It does matter to the muslim community.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543078

I remember after 9/11 Market Street in Paterson (huge muslim enclave), NJ was basically the scariest place to be. They pretty much had to deck the place in red white and blue.

Yes it does, because pigeonholing is what people do.

It's nice to hope for an ideal of the attempt for tolerance and understanding, but that's not human nature - we are programmed to judge a book by its cover.

If those guys are Muslim, even Russian Muslims, people will automatically link them with 9/11. Only difference will be that people will turn to be suspicious of the faith itself rather than just Arabs.

I always felt worst for the Sikhs.

Talon

Look, I am actually sympathetic to the idea because I went to a Christian private school, and we had one devoutly Muslim Pakistani kid in the entire school around the time of 9-11. I know that his parents dealt with some ignorant assholes around that time.

But that is exactly what they were and still are: ignorant assholes. The world doesn't stop on a dime because the dregs continue to be idiots.

If we live in constant fear of the LCD's shortcomings, we have nowhere to progress.

And, yes, the Sikhs always get it worst for basically being the most peaceful people on earth next to the Ba'hai.

This made me laugh:
@kjhealy: Kinda nervous this morning, as Duke’s campus is crawling with young Caucasian men, many wih rudimentary engineering skills.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
2013 SCHEDULE
W1 9.8 @ Panthers
W2 9.15 vs 49ers
W3 9.22 vs Jaguars
W4 9.29 @ Texans
W5 10.6 @ Colts
W6 10.13 vs Titans
W7 10.17 @ Cardinals
W8 10.28 @ Rams
W9 11.3 vs Buccaneers
W10 11.10 @ Falcons
W11 11.17 vs Vikings
W12 BYE
W13 12.2 vs Saints
W14 12.8 @ 49ers
W15 12.15 @ Giants
W16 12.22 vs Cardinals
W17 12.29 vs Rams

Panthers game 1EST. Sigh. At least it's the first game so the travel and time zone adjustments will be easier.
Guess I'm going to a Panthers game this year.

Look, I am actually sympathetic to the idea because I went to a Christian private school, and we had one devoutly Muslim Pakistani kid in the entire school around the time of 9-11. I know that his parents dealt with some ignorant assholes around that time.

But that is exactly what they were and still are: ignorant assholes. The world doesn't stop on a dime because the dregs continue to be idiots.

If we live in constant fear of the LCD's shortcomings, we have nowhere to progress.

And, yes, the Sikhs always get it worst for basically being the most peaceful people on earth next to the Ba'hai.

The Sikh's get it worse because they are easy to identify visually.

Also, it's really a big mistake to associate hatred with LCD hillbillies and racists. Hatred of Muslims became an American pastime after 9/11. Young, old, rich, poor, Black, White. The Government didn't help strike it down at all either, which allowed it to fester.

Anytime a group of people are ignorant to a subject, the common default emotion is fear and/or hatred.

SonnyBoy

Monday 7:10 p.m. 9/9 vs. Philadelphia
Sun 9/15 1 p.m. @ Green Bay
Sun 9/22 1 p.m. vs. Detroit
Sun 9/29 4:25 p.m. @ Oakland
10/6 Bye
Sun 10/13 8:30 p.m. @ Dallas
Sun 10/20 1 p.m. vs. Chicago
Sun 10/27 4:25 p.m. @ Denver
Sun 11/3 vs. 1 p.m. San Diego
Thur 11/7 8:20 p.m. @ Minnesota
Sun 11/17 1 p.m. @ Philly
Mon 11/25 8:30 p.m. San Francisco
Sun 12/1 8:30 p.m. New York Giants
Sun 12/8 1 p.m. vs. Kansas City
Sun 12/15 1 p.m. @ Atlanta
Sun 12/22 1 p.m. Dallas
Sun 12/29 1 p.m. @ New York Giants

No real predictions for my Skins, just some general comments. The early bye is helpful IF RGIII isn't ready. The primetime start could possibly indicate that the league has caught wind that he could be ready... #shrug. It seems as tho, they're confident he'll be ready for Week 1 but scheduled the early bye as a means to assist him in being ready for later primetime spots. #shrug

Anyway, I won't predict wins/losses. It's good to have a competitive team, I think we can get 9 wins this year.

squicken

I strongly encourage anyone who is even a lil' bit interested in the Haslam story to read this article:
http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/4...i-the-158-pages-that-will-cost-him-the-browns

Really good read. Still seems like there's not direct evidence linking Haslam. Just people saying he knew, or was in a meeting where they know it was discussed. I'm sure he'll go down eventually. either way, the Browsn are getting new owners. Money won't be a problem, even if Haslam's assets are seized. Would get weird if the govt seized the Browns if they start seizing assets of Haslam

edit: It does suck for CLE. Who is in charge? Will they have the money and freedom to extend Alex Mack and/or Joe Hadden?

bionic77

Why do Brown fans suddenly think they are going to win one or sweep Pittsburgh this year?

It might not be a great season for us, but Ben pretty much owns both Ohio teams and I especially can't see the Browns scoring enough points to beat us in either game.

Brown fans I got no hate for you guys but lay off the drugs.

Why do Brown fans suddenly think they are going to win one or sweep Pittsburgh this year?

It might not be a great season for us, but Ben pretty much owns both Ohio teams and I especially can't see the Browns scoring enough points to beat us in either game.

I know none of you Steelers fans believe it but I still think that offense will be a lot worse without Wallace. I think they'll split with the Browns.

bionic77

I know none of you Steelers fans believe it but I still think that offense will be a lot worse without Wallace. I think they'll split with the Browns.
Wallace had a bad habit of disappearing for large stretches of the season even when he was our best receiver. We still were able to move the chains and put up points without him.

I am not saying we are good (which also means that I am not ruling out another Superbowl) but you don't have to be great to beat the Browns. Sorry Brownies it is true.

Wallace had a bad habit of disappearing for large stretches of the season even when he was our best receiver. We still were able to move the chains and put up points without him.

I am not saying we are good (which also means that I am not ruling out another Superbowl) but you don't have to be great to beat the Browns. Sorry Brownies it is true.
Just because he wasn't catching balls doesn't mean his presence on the field wasn't helping the offense. Defenses have to pay a lot of attention to a guy like that every single play. I think his absence could hinder Pitt's ability to stretch the field and keep the defense honest.

Unless you think Brown or Sanders will be just as effective in that role?

ESPN.com legal analyst Lester Munson believes it's in the "realm of possibility" that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam will be asked to sell the team following the FBI's investigation into his travel center company Pilot Flying J.
The investigation is a huge black eye on the league, which is just six months removed from unanimously approving Haslam as its 32nd owner. The approval supposedly followed a close examination of Haslam's background. Perhaps the league was compelled to ignore some of its questions by Haslam's estimated $1.8 billion net worth. Haslam's future as an owner is clear as mud.
..........it's raining sadness

..........it's raining sadness

Considering how well-connected NFL owners are in the business community, it's kind of astonishing that nobody knew that Haslam was being investigated by the FBI. And Christ, the stones on Haslam for going through with the purchase of an NFL team while knowing he was being investigated by the FBI.

It might end up being a godsend if he's forced to sell. I've not exactly gotten the best impression from the Haslam/Banner management team thus far.

It just means another futile year, followed by a transitional year, followed by a rebuilding year. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Just because he wasn't catching balls doesn't mean his presence on the field wasn't helping the offense. Defenses have to pay a lot of attention to a guy like that every single play. I think his absence could hinder Pitt's ability to stretch the field and keep the defense honest.

I think it will actually help the offense. Ben likes to hold onto the ball too long. Haley's offense is designed around getting the ball out quickly. Having a guy who can only run in a straight line 60 yards downfield, no matter how fast he can do it, takes more time than a 10 yard out to a TE.

I like Brown being the guy who stretches the field. You know why? Because he can actually run other routes effectively. D's won't know when he's cutting that shit short or going across the middle vs. going vertical.

All of that being said, if Ben doesn't start smoking Haley's pipe, if he keeps whining about his love for Arians, then the Steelers will be even more fucked. The biggest problem we have is our defense. It's old. It can't get at the QB. William Gay is a starting CB.

Ben will need to put up 30+ per game to keep the Steelers close.

bionic77

Sanders actually got open for some big ones. The biggest problem we had is that Wallace would drop them and Sanders would fumble it (without being tackled).

I honestly don't think it will be that hard to replace most of Wallace's production. That type of home run play is not featured that much in our current offense.

ChanHuk

Banned
Oh fuck me. Target is having the 3DS XL for $180. You fucks didn't tell me about no Luigi promotion either. Needless to say, I'm conflicted.

I think it will actually help the offense. Ben likes to hold onto the ball too long. Haley's offense is designed around getting the ball out quickly. Having a guy who can only run in a straight line 60 yards downfield, no matter how fast he can do it, takes more time than a 10 yard out to a TE.

I like Brown being the guy who stretches the field. You know why? Because he can actually run other routes effectively. D's won't know when he's cutting that shit short or going across the middle vs. going vertical.

All of that being said, if Ben doesn't start smoking Haley's pipe, if he keeps whining about his love for Arians, then the Steelers will be even more fucked. The biggest problem we have is our defense. It's old. It can't get at the QB. William Gay is a starting CB.

Ben will need to put up 30+ per game to keep the Steelers close.
I guess only time will tell, but even if Brown is a better route runner than Wallace I find it hard to believe that the offense will improve by losing their leading receiver. That 10 yard out to a TE is still an option with Wallace on the field. I also think you're selling Wallace short by making it sound like Brown is just as much of a deep threat to an opposing defense. If that's true then Ireland is even dumber than I thought (which is, admittedly, a possibility).

Sanders actually got open for some big ones. The biggest problem we had is that Wallace would drop them and Sanders would fumble it (without being tackled).

I honestly don't think it will be that hard to replace most of Wallace's production. That type of home run play is not featured that much in our current offense.
Fair enough, but how far do you think the team can realistically get without that being a significant part of their offense? How far would the Ravens have gotten in the playoffs without that deep ball production?

bionic77

I guess only time will tell, but even if Brown is a better route runner than Wallace I find it hard to believe that the offense will improve by losing their leading receiver. That 10 yard out to a TE is still an option with Wallace on the field. I also think you're selling Wallace short by making it sound like Brown is just as much of a deep threat to an opposing defense. If that's true then Ireland is even dumber than I thought (which is, admittedly, a possibility).

Fair enough, but how far do you think the team can realistically get without that being a significant part of their offense? How far would the Ravens have gotten in the playoffs without that deep ball production?
Wallace is not a great route runner.

I do agree that you are not going to win the SB without big plays on offense and defense. But who knows maybe we will be able to get that production from someone else.

KingGondo

Banned
This Browns rebate fraud confuses me. We need our trucking expert. Has anyone seen cajun?
Basically they were withholding fuel rebate money that was due to their clients, and blaming it on "computer glitches" or hoping the clients wouldn't notice.

Not too complicated, and it's kind of shocking how brazen they were.

You have to wonder how this affects Banner, Lombardi, and Chud though. Lack of stability is an absolute killer in sports, but especially in the NFL. Not like that's anything new to the Browns though.

MiKeD

Banned

Cause we actually have a head coach this time combined with actual young talent.
And the Steelers are aging.

Draxal

Is Luigi any good?

The GC game was fun if I remember correctly but it was only a rental type game.

It's pretty good, longer then the GC game, has decent mp if you're into that (I'm not). But it's a rental if you don't want to use the multiplayer.

ChanHuk

Banned
Is Luigi any good?

The GC game was fun if I remember correctly but it was only a rental type game.

I have absolutely no clue, but if you buy Luigi you get Super Mario 3D Land for free. And what the fuck, only two colors ugly red and ugly blue? I hate you Nintendo.

You have to wonder how this affects Banner, Lombardi, and Chud though. Lack of stability is an absolute killer in sports, but especially in the NFL. Not like that's anything new to the Browns though.

If Haslam is forced to sell, the new buyer will keep Banner et al. for a one-season trial period, primarily for show as he/she looks to assemble his/her own management team.

Then they'll all be fired, and we'll start from scratch. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom