• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Still not used to the whole draft starting on a Thursday thing for one round. Downtime between picks just gets excruciating at times.

Filming for the Browns draft movie is gonna be going on at the tilted kilt tonight, some of my friends are going to the stadium for draft partying/tailgating

On pretty much all the draft boards (except SI who must be smoking something) Geno is the #1 QB.

That said he's not the #1 pick for certain style offences which is why you see the likes of Nassib, Manuel and even Barkley going ahead of him in some mocks.

Yeah I didn't think NFL-Gaf was too high on him. I still don't think he's the first QB taken tonight if any go.

Wes

venison crêpe
@evansilva 20m
ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tavon Austin: "He will not get past the top-10 picks. That will not happen."

@evansilva 8m
ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported #Vikings will likely take WR & "almost certainly" a defensive player with their 2 1st-rounders (23 & 25).

Kevtones

Resident Duck fan on Jordan:

He's a matchup nightmare on the line and one of the more versatile players I've seen. His hybrid-ability makes him tantalizing but he's also raw. Would say his motor never struck me as impressive and he seemed to blend in fairly often (lack of big plays).

Silver lining with the injuries thing is that when he was hurt our defense always seemed to take a huge hit. Part of his strength is the oddity of his physical gifts and that seemed to fuck with opposing offenses every single game. He's the type of guy you just have to try to plan for and his adaptability seemed to win out most of the time.

Either way, he's a boom/bust pick. #4 seems high but he's a definitive risk/reward pick.

Other thought is that out of the Oregon defensive players in this year's draft; Kiko Alonso, Michael Clay, and John Boyett were all more consistent than Jordan. Boyett was out of all last year but he was John Lynch-ish while healthy. Kid is tough and normally real durable. Not sure about his size. Alonso, if he can keep his head on straight, will be starting somewhere shortly.

Fantomex

@evansilva 20m
ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tavon Austin: "He will not get past the top-10 picks. That will not happen."

@evansilva 8m
ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported #Vikings will likely take WR & "almost certainly" a defensive player with their 2 1st-rounders (23 & 25).

How can a player shoot up so much between days in which he hasn't worked out or played? I'll never understand this about the draft. Such and such player is actually really really good now that the draft is almost here!

What you want? Unless you really want Luke and they take Fisher or something else.

I have more of a problem with the Chiefs' methodology than Fisher or Joeckel.

I understand the Chiefs have seemingly moved on from Albert, and that as of now, the general consensus is that Fisher and Joeckel are two of of the top talents in the draft. But I'd rather ride out the year with Donald Stephenson at LT and draft someone like Milliner/Lotoulelei/Richardson/Jordan than make the lateral move of replacing a tackle with a tackle.

Kevtones

How can a player shoot up so much between days in which he hasn't worked out or played? I'll never understand this about the draft. Such and such player is actually really really good now that the draft is almost here!

A mix of group-think and buzz glorifying a guy's stock. Austin is pretty solid though I'm not sold on his '4.3' speed.

A tackle from Central Michigan going first is going to feel really weird.

I mean, if he's really good it doesn't matter, but it still comes off as the opposite of flashy which seems pretty different from other #1 overall picks.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Hes the second coming of Aaron Brooks from the Saints. Take that as a positive or a negative. If you guys think about it, I'm really not that far off.

Not sure their games are that comparable

Teo or an OG to the Bears please.

Nah, but really, why Te'o?

Crisco

Banned
Guys like Austin are pretty popular in today's offenses. Hybrid RB/WR that can also play some special teams. Almost every elite offensive team has a player like him, that the defense always has to account for.

I have more of a problem with the Chiefs' methodology than Fisher or Joeckel.

I understand the Chiefs have seemingly moved on from Albert, and that as of now, the general consensus is that Fisher and Joeckel are two of of the top talents in the draft. But I'd rather ride out the year with Donald Stephenson at LT and draft someone like Milliner/Lotoulelei/Richardson/Jordan than make the lateral move of replacing a tackle with a tackle.

Definitely a weird situation. Cut Winston, franchise Albert then try to trade him and draft a replacement. Trade 2nd rounder for Smith and make him your starter. Andy Reid for you. I really don't think you guys improve much this year.

40 times aren't everything plus with the Bears losing notorious killjoy Lovie Smith we are guaranteed to get Hard Knocks. Think about- Cutler, Marshall, Te'o, Hester, new coach. Riveting stuff there.

Word.

The bold made me lol. I don't know, though, Trestman doesn't seem like the kind of guy to bring in that kind of distraction when he's trying to focus on acclimating a new team to his principles and schemes.

That said, I've been dying for a Chicago Bears Hard Knocks since the show began.

Fantomex

Not sure their games are that comparable

If you take the biggest difference in the consideration, absolutely alike. Geno played in a spread offense in college. Spread offenses don't exist in the NFL. He will be made into a pocket QB, boxed in and molded just like Aaron Brooks played with the Saints.

Average Arm - Check
Needs work on the Deep Route - Check
Ability to run outside the pocket - Check

"Geno Smith is a cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks" -PFW

It's like Aaron Brooks reincarnated.

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...comes-down-to-the-qb-he-cant-fumble/#comments

Mark Sanchez’s infamous buttfumble appears to be fresh in the mind of Jets owner Woody Johnson.

Hours before the NFL draft, Johnson told Sal Paolantonio of ESPN that no matter what the Jets do with their two first-round draft picks, the Jets won’t succeed in 2013 if they don’t get competent quarterback play.

“It comes down to the play of the quarterback. He can’t fumble the football. A lot of livelihoods depend on that,” Johnson told Paolantonio.

Comment section is golden!

Regardless of what you think about Mark Sanchez as a player, I would personally just like to thank him for introducing the term “buttfumble” into the American lexicon.

Wes

venison crêpe
@ dpbrugler 4m
Hey # Browns fans, # LSU pass rusher Barkevious Mingo is wearing a brown tie and orange pocket square...just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom