• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coughlin thinks they should have repeated in 2008
I personally don't think the defensive line would have held up through the playoffs though looking back on it. Losing Osi for the season early on, we didn't have much depth at DE at the time and our tackles were run down. Kiwi/Tuck were wearing down as well. That lack of depth and lack of production in the sacks/hurries department over the last few games was as apparent as the loss of Plaxico was.

No guarantees but that '08 unit was damned good when they were intact. They ran roughshod over most of the league. Pittsburgh was one of the few defenses that held our run game in check and we still won that game. One of my favorite games of the last few years! Definitely a solid chance they could have had Plaxico not gone the way of stupid.

squicken

I personally don't think the defensive line would have held up through the playoffs though looking back on it. Losing Osi for the season early on, we didn't have much depth at DE at the time and our tackles were run down. Kiwi/Tuck were wearing down as well. That lack of depth and lack of production in the sacks/hurries department over the last few games was as apparent as the loss of Plaxico was.

No guarantees but that '08 unit was damned good when they were intact. They ran roughshod over most of the league. Pittsburgh was one of the few defenses that held our run game in check and we still won that game. One of my favorite games of the last few years! Definitely a solid chance they could have had Plaxico not gone the way of stupid.

Does anyone here want their team to start 11-1 next year? It's almost a guarantee of not winning a SB

Does anyone here want their team to start 11-1 next year? It's almost a guarantee of not winning a SB

When the Eagles do win a SB I definitely want it to be a year where they dominate and go 14-2 during the regular season. I will take any SB but I would much rather it be a wire to wire deal, rather then get hot in the playoffs.

squicken

And the Raptors and the Blue Jays.

If 2 out of my 4 teams win a championship soon I hope my tag gets changed.

lol the Blue Jays won back to back World Series. The Raptors have just never won the ping pong ball contest when an elite player was in the draft. Most teams in the NBA have no chance anyway

Leafs and Browns . . . probably a curse there

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
lol the Blue Jays won back to back World Series. The Raptors have just never won the ping pong ball contest when an elite player was in the draft. Most teams in the NBA have no chance anyway

Yes I saw the Jays wiwn both I was 9 and 10 for both.

I want a championship now so I can get drunk and party.

WedgeX

Banned
Jags update:

The Lions are going to end up drafting yet another wide receiver because no free agent wr wants to come here. Not that I can blame them. There's no chance to move up to number one, and if healthy both Burleson and Broyles will be on the field as often as possible.

Nori Chan

I'd be worried about Nori's wrath but I'm safe here in Canada.

He's too afraid of Canadians to come up here.

Although I might be in San Francisco next year...

If there's two things I hate on gaf, it's canadia and the browns.

and i enjoy our friendship kave but really you had to be both?

I'm gonna miss Jason Hanson. Must suck for most of your career to be regulated to one team with bad season after bad season; especially when he was good enough to go to a contender at various points.

Rolando McClain era over in Oakland:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 6m

Raiders waiving LB Rolando McClain today.

His statement:

"I’d like to thank the Raiders for giving me an opportunity to play in the NFL. I’m disappointed that it hasn’t worked out better, but I’m very excited and thankful. I will miss my teammates and wish them and the Raiders organization good luck going forward."

cdyhybrid

Hey Marks. Been away for a while. Are the Phins playoff contenders yet?

They're going to win the division.

Edit: Even as a 360 owner, seeing Microsoft willing dive into a lake of fire with this always online thing is incredibly entertaining. Sounds like my only console next gen (if I even get one) will be PS4.

jakncoke

Banned
lol 44 south and 90 junction at 330 has like 150 cars maybe more. of course some turkey decided to walk around like he owned the road not giving a single fuck

Leafs are definitely cursed.

Years of shitty FO decisions, players who clearly don't give a shit then break their back for their national teams, Doug Gilmour suiting up as a Leaf for the second time then suffering a career ending injury on his first shift..

This season is better, though it's funny to hear the murmurs about their best scorer being an arab.

bionic77

There's nothing wrong with having a small wang. My wife says its fine because it doesn't hurt her to have sex
If you say so brah. But it must be embarrassing in the locker room or at the doctors office.

I'm willing to bet a large portion of DLC/digital content is a credit card based transaction (outside of buying points cards for your teens/kids), I think you're underestimating the buying power of adult gamers in so far as digital content is concerned and how we shape the direction of that. We definitely play a role.

That's not to say I entirely disagree with the premise that kids/teens definitely drive sales on certain types of content (Skylanders is a great example) but as we move into a more digital future with more integrated technologies - I think machines like the PS4/Durango start to fit into the consumer electronics market as much as they do the pure gaming market.
Maybe but I feel like everytime I used to go to Best Buy or GameStop it was mostly kids. I am sure adults keep playing games and are a significant part of sales, but I would wager that most sales are for kids/teens/young adults.

And :lol Skylanders? I think every kid I know who is older than 8 has an Xbox and is playing games like Gears, Halo and without fail COD.

Kids these days are spoiled as fuck. Not only do I see 8 year olds with Xboxes but most of them have iPads as well!

Maybe but I feel like everytime I used to go to Best Buy or GameStop it was mostly kids. I am sure adults keep playing games and are a significant part of sales, but I would wager that most sales are for kids/teens/young adults.
As I pointed out, I'm talking digital content here like DLC. Not what's being bought in stores which I actually agree with you on.

bionic77 said:
And :lol Skylanders?
What's funny about it? You mentioned kids and teenagers. I'm not saying teenagers are buying and playing Skylanders but you must be kidding if you don't think that game is a big revenue generator mostly driven by children (which ironically goes to your point).

Not only do I see 8 year olds with Xboxes but most of them have iPads as well!
My 6 year old has an iPad.:D Which she loves and uses for everything from reading, learning games and general web surfing but then she's far more advanced than a majority of the kids in her class in that regard because she's been using it since she was 2-3 years old to play reading/learning games.

Fantomex

Yo, I was perusing the OT. Is it usually the same 10 people in every thread?
KuGsj.gif
I can't even keep up with 3 threads, let alone the whole OT.

bionic77

As I pointed out, I'm talking digital content here like DLC. Not what's being bought in stores which I actually agree with you on.

What's funny about it? You mentioned kids and teenagers. I'm not saying teenagers are buying and playing Skylanders but you must be kidding if you don't think that game is a big revenue generator mostly driven by children (which ironically goes to your point).
I was laughing because most of the kids I know don't play it because it is too "kiddy". Granted my sample size is small but most of them moved on from stuff like Skylanders, Wii etc to shit like Skyrim and COD. I wonder if that game still has good sales or is my anecdotal evidence is correct and those kids have moved onto the big boy consoles.

With DLC I guess kids just steal their parents cards or get gift cards. I mean how else are they filling up their iPads with so much shit?

Just beat Tomb Raider (Came with my friends video card along with Bioshock).

Pretty good game. The only thing that bugged me was how your crew members dont seem to realize you turn into a hardened killer about 10 minutes into the game.

Books mainly.Dont really need a tablet.
Kindle Paperwhite is nice. Backlit, e-ink but more costly than what DK mentioned (bout $120).

I was laughing because most of the kids I know don't play it because it is too "kiddy".
The thought of an 8 year old playing Call of Duty scares me. No way in hell would I let my 8 year play that and I'm far from being some ultra-conservative type with goofy rules about content. Hell my daughter loves horror movies and as long as they aren't too gory, I don't have much issue with her watching them.

I guess some would view that in the same "scary" light I view an 8 year old playing COD....

Milchjon

The though of an 8 year old playing Call of Duty scares me. No way in hell would I let my 8 year play that and I'm far from being some ultra-conservative type with goofy rules about content. Hell my daughter loves horror movies and as long as they aren't too gory, I don't have much issue with her watching them.

I guess some would view that in the same "scary" light I view an 8 year old playing COD....

Some person in the Infinite thread talked about how his 5 year old (daughter?) played the game.

Call me oldschool, but I think that's pretty sick.

Some person in the Infinite thread talked about how his 5 year old (daughter?) played the game.

I dont have kids but I like to think I'm the rare type of person on this board that might some day spawn some little ones in a healthy environment. Even though I grew up playing some violent games (Resident Evil 1/2, Silent Hill 1, Ect) at an early age, I wouldnt let my kids play those types of games until I was totally sure they could handle the concept of reality and fiction.

bionic77

So many lazy shitty parents out there who buy this shit to entertain their kids so they don't have to.

Lazy fucks get off the couch and take your 8 year old for a bike ride or to the library instead of buying them an Xbox or iPad.

I dont have kids but I like to think I'm the rare type of person on this board that might some day spawn some little ones in a healthy environment. Even though I grew up playing some violent games (Resident Evil 1/2, Silent Hill 1, Ect) at an early age, I wouldnt let my kids play those types of games until I was totally sure they could handle the concept of reality and fiction.
Yeah and it's tough to make snap judgements without knowing the kid. You'd be surprised how mature some 5-6 year olds are in that regard. My daughter understands that horror movies are fantasy and while she isn't allowed to sit down and watch something like Hellraiser, Human Centipede or Sinister, she loves to watch Vanishing on 7th Street or the original Halloween. It doesn't scare her at all and she understands that it's all makeup and "pretend".

bionic77

Yeah and it's tough to make snap judgements without knowing the kid. You'd be surprised how mature some 5-6 year olds are in that regard. My daughter understands that horror movies are fantasy and while she isn't allowed to sit down and watch something like Hellraiser, Human Centipede or Sinister, she loves to watch Vanishing on 7th Street or the original Halloween. It doesn't scare her at all and she understands that it's all makeup and "pretend".
I feel like girls can handle that stuff at an early age. They don't go apeshit over games or movies. Boys are retarded though and need more discipline. At least IMHO.

You guys are babies. We played way worse shit than Bioshock. Actually a few months ago I bought Mortal Kombat 2011 and wanted to see all of the fatalities, so instead of just YouTubing them, I actually went through the trouble of performing them all. Thing is, for my opponent everytime I always picked Jade, Mileena, Kitana, or Sonya. I thought to myself, "Gee, I wonder what a psychologist would say about my exclusively choosing scantily clad, large bossomed women to murder horrifically." Didn't deter me from doing it though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom