• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

LevelNth

Banned
Yeah I think it's great the way they lock up their good players early. He'll be 29 if he plays the deal out all the way, so he can still get another big contract. I think teams don't value RTs and Guards enough. Teams aren't just blitzing off the open side now. It comes from all over and you need 5 good players. Having Kap so cheap is such a huge thing for SF.
So huge, but it won't last for long unfortunately. The key is deciding who and at what position is worth it, managing future years well in relation to the cap increasing, and frankly, just making the tough choices of letting guys go.

I see Kap, Crabtree, Iupati and Smith staying. But that means we're going to lose guys, and we'll need great drafting to replace them (why I love how many picks we have this year and next).

Terrell Brown is the next good player we have that I think we'll lose. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see our corners be completely different after this season.

WedgeX

Banned
I gots no Lions news, but ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I just got offered a case manager job two months after moving out here! Day is made!

squicken

So huge, but it won't last for long unfortunately. The key is deciding who and at what position is worth it, managing future years well in relation to the cap increasing, and frankly, just making the tough choices of letting guys go.

I see Kap, Crabtree, Iupati and Smith staying. But that means we're going to lose guys, and we'll need great drafting to replace them (why I love how many picks we have this year and next).

Terrell Brown is the next good player we have that I think we'll lose. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see our corners be completely different after this season.

I think the key is always to lock up that core group of special players. I just have never seen that from any of your DBs. Good players, but replaceable. I'm also not he biggest Crabtree fan. He's good, but he's not a 10m/yr good. I think those guys are the X-iso guys that are so hard to find

I gots no Lions news, but ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I just got offered a case manager job two months after moving out here! Day is made!
Congrats!

EDIT: Texans update:

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo 39m

As @RavensInsider tweeted former Browns WR Mohammed Massaquoi visited the Texans. Expect a decision between Hou and Jax soon.

LevelNth

Banned
I don't want to pay crabcakes $10 mil a year. 6-7 mil but he won't accept that
Honestly it depends if he and Kap maintain the chemistry they had for the whole season. If we project his last year stats with Kap in over a whole season, we get:

116 catches, 1578 yards, 14 TDs.

I'll gladly pay 10m a year for that. Thankfully, we get 2 full seasons to judge whether or not that connection will hold up.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Gruden's QB camp with Geno sucked. It's like 25 minutes of Gruden babbling. Not sure if that's always how they are, but I have no new information on Geno, but I'm pretty sure Gruden has 900 VHS tapes of Peyton Manning that he jerks off to

You've never watched that show before? Seriously? I learn something new about football from every episode. You also learn a lot about the guys. Their mentality, their personality and, often, their football aptitude.

That being said, I'm not sure what that episode was telling me about Geno. They didn't talk about the passing game at all. No play break downs, no "chalk talk", no nothing. Now, is that poor editing or did Gruden ask him about it and found him lacking so sidestepped it? Sadly, I suspect it's the latter. Geno said they had "6 or 7 plays that they ran out of multiple formations." That's not a lot to see. Is that on the coaches not believing in the players or is that simply what they coach? Either way, I don't see Geno being ready to run a pro offense immediately. It also didn't sound like he broke down a ton of film in school. I do like Smith's demeanor and athleticism. But if he gets taken early and thrown into the starting line up immediately, I'm pretty sure he's going to bust.

WedgeX

Banned
Thanks guys!

Now I'll be able to fly back to Michigan to go to a Lions game...which is probably cheaper than getting Washington football tickets.

Dragon

Banned
The problem is the way the argument is approached. You, bionic and a large portion of the gaming side are apt to shit on the companies that practice on disc DLC or skins for $4 when in reality your beef should be with the people who plop down that $4 to begin with. They create the market. The publishers simply profit from it.

It's tough to blame publishers for their practices when we as gamers gobble the shit up despite the bitching that goes on about it. Epic/MS aren't going to take the time to create alternate weapon skins for $4 if there wasn't a market for it.

Chicken and the egg argument? How did publishers know that gamers would buy this shit? They implemented it and gamers bought it.

I think what Epic and EA did recently have been really dirty. And I find things like Skylanders and Disney Infinity dirty as hell too. You're right though, gamers have to stop buying this stuff. Too bad I can't send a post to all of Xbox Live saying stop doing that!

squicken

You've never watched that show before? Seriously? I learn something new about football from every episode. You also learn a lot about the guys. Their mentality, their personality and, often, their football aptitude.

That being said, I'm not sure what that episode was telling me about Geno. They didn't talk about the passing game at all. No play break downs, no "chalk talk", no nothing. Now, is that poor editing or did Gruden ask him about it and found him lacking so sidestepped it? Sadly, I suspect it's the latter. Geno said they had "6 or 7 plays that they ran out of multiple formations." That's not a lot to see. Is that on the coaches not believing in the players or is that simply what they coach? Either way, I don't see Geno being ready to run a pro offense immediately. It also didn't sound like he broke down a ton of film in school. I do like Smith's demeanor and athleticism. But if he gets taken early and thrown into the starting line up immediately, I'm pretty sure he's going to bust.

Yeah my first time watching. I guess I had seen enough of Geno talk that I wasn't really surprised by the way he carried himself. Good point on the editing. I wonder if some guy just bombs if they won't show anything. I guess I was expecting a lot more chalk talk and white board stuff. It was really just Gruden doing a one man act

Yeah my first time watching. I guess I had seen enough of Geno talk that I wasn't really surprised by the way he carried himself. Good point on the editing. I wonder if some guy just bombs if they won't show anything. I guess I was expecting a lot more chalk talk and white board stuff. It was really just Gruden doing a one man act

I cant wait to see Manti's. They are going to have to edit a lot out I am guessing.

Chicken and the egg argument? How did publishers know that gamers would buy this shit?
They experimented? Much as publishers are want to do. They'll find creative ways to create profit, test pricing models and push the boundaries of what gamers will find acceptable and pay for.

Dragon said:
They implemented it and gamers bought it.
...and they keep buying it which is they keep making it. You can't obfuscate the role gamers have played in creating the very market they bitch about.

Dragon said:
Too bad I can't send a post to all of Xbox Live saying stop doing that!
If only we could but we're all guilty of it to some extent. Or are you saying you've never spent a dime on DLC?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'd be worried about Nori's wrath but I'm safe here in Canada.

He's too afraid of Canadians to come up here.

Although I might be in San Francisco next year...

Dragon

Banned
They experimented? Much as publishers are want to do. They'll find creative ways to create profit, test pricing models and push the boundaries of what gamers will find acceptable and pay for.

...and they keep buying it which is they keep making it. You can't obfuscate the role gamers have played in creating the very market they bitch about.

If only we could but we're all guilty of it to some extent. Or are you saying you've never spent a dime on DLC?

I'm trying to think. Off the top of my head I've bought the Deux Ex Missing Link DLC, but by the time I bought that game off of Steam it was included in the sale. I don't think I've bought anything else. Never really got into Skyrim or Mass Effect, two games with a ton of DLC.

Mass Effect 3 is the best example of DLC done right ever. There have been several huge mp DLC's and they are all free. They sell in game character/weapon packs, either for real money or for credits. The credits are really easy to earn though. You can almost buy the most expensive packs after a single gold match. I really hope more companies copy what they are doing next gen.

I already have a WiiU and I really want both a 720 and PS4 but both have me worried. I hate the idea of always online, and I hate that Sony isnt carrying over PSN games. I have spent hundreds on PSN games, not even counting all the PS+ stuff I have gotten. Losing all that is going to sting big time.

bionic77

GAF never likes to admit it but I still think a huge percentage of game sales goes to kids and teenagers. Not the most informed or intelligent of customers. I feel the impact of adult sales is often overstated. Adult gamers have more money for sure but I think we are also more selective and definitely have less free time.

bionic77

I already have a WiiU and I really want both a 720 and PS4 but both have me worried. I hate the idea of always online, and I hate that Sony isnt carrying over PSN games. I have spent hundreds on PSN games, not even counting all the PS+ stuff I have gotten. Losing all that is going to sting big time.
Did not know PSN. I thought it would be like Android or iOS where it carries over to your account.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
As with all gens prior I will end up getting these systems 1 or 2 years after they come out as the first problems are rectified.

Also still fuck you to all you guys I am weak in the knees about getting the 3DS XL.

bionic77

As with all gens prior I will end up getting these systems 1 or 2 years after they come out as the first problems are rectified.

Also still fuck you to all you guys I am weak in the knees about getting the 3DS XL.
3DS worth it for Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus alone. Get it. Something to do when you get bored during blowouts during Browns games!

Did not know PSN. I thought it would be like Android or iOS where it carries over to your account.

No since the PS4 isnt backwards compatible with the PS3, no PSN games will carry over. Sucks so much since I still play SSDHD regularly, and a big appeal of PS+ was having a bunch of games that I havent played yet to play on the PS4 during the slow month after it first comes out.

squicken

GAF never likes to admit it but I still think a huge percentage of game sales goes to kids and teenagers. Not the most informed or intelligent of customers. I feel the impact of adult sales is often overstated. Adult gamers have more money for sure but I think we are also more selective and definitely have less free time.

Teens for sure, but then teenagers drive the sales of all sorts of consumer products.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
3DS worth it for Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus alone. Get it. Something to do when you get bored during blowouts during Browns games!

I'll add Kid Icarus to the pile then.

I was planning to get the 3DS and Luigi's Mansion 2 and possibly Fire Emblem if it's there.

I'd hate myself for spending this cash but I refuse to be a dirty poor.

bionic77

I was planning to get the 3DS and Luigi's Mansion 2 and possibly Fire Emblem if it's there.

Yeah don't be a poor.

God already cursed you with the Browns. Would be so unfair if you were also cursed with poverty or a small wang.

I'm willing to bet a large portion of DLC/digital content is a credit card based transaction (outside of buying points cards for your teens/kids), I think you're underestimating the buying power of adult gamers in so far as digital content is concerned and how we shape the direction of that. We definitely play a role.

That's not to say I entirely disagree with the premise that kids/teens definitely drive sales on certain types of content (Skylanders is a great example) but as we move into a more digital future with more integrated technologies - I think machines like the PS4/Durango start to fit into the consumer electronics market as much as they do the pure gaming market.

Godslay

Banned
Chicken and the egg argument? How did publishers know that gamers would buy this shit? They implemented it and gamers bought it.

I think what Epic and EA did recently have been really dirty. And I find things like Skylanders and Disney Infinity dirty as hell too. You're right though, gamers have to stop buying this stuff. Too bad I can't send a post to all of Xbox Live saying stop doing that!

Skylanders is a great product. My 6 year old daughter loves it. The nice thing about it is you buy the starter pack, which has 3 Skylanders, and you could stop there, never have to buy another figure again. You can even reset the levels of the particular figure to start all over again if you so choose. If you want different characters with varying abilities you just go and buy it.

It seems like a dirty sales tactic to sell the characters as figures, but what my daughter loves is that she can take the figures and play with them outside of the game. So for kids at least there is an extra level of play with the figures. Also I know from playing with her, they enjoy the aspect of being able to swap the characters on the fly with the portal.

It's a good game for kids with some added functionality of the toys if you are a kid. It's a great game for it's demographic really.

Luigi's Mansion is great. Been slowly plodding along through it, and the multiplayer is fun as well.

Rorschach

You're thinking of grown ass men when you should be thinking about Man Children.

squicken

Worst QB class in a Decade, when Pennington was taken 18. Article compares Barkley to Pennington. Everything you want except the arm

"We were going to take the best player available at that position, at No. 7, whether it be a tackle, pass rusher, corner, or quarterback," Arians said on Fox radio before narrowing the field even more. "Right now I don't see a quarterback in this class coming up that would have been in that spot for us. Now, it might be for somebody else, but not for us. Especially with the elite offensive linemen that are out there this year, and defensive linemen."

Arians knows a thing or two about quarterbacks after stretches of coaching Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Andrew Luck in his career.

An AFC general manager was likewise blunt: "If either Smith or Barkley were that good, you wouldn't see the trades you're seeing right now. [Alex] Smith? [Carson] Palmer? [Matt] Flynn? That tells you what you need to know. If Kansas City thought there was a great quarterback in this draft, or even a really good one like Matt Stafford, they wouldn't have traded for [Alex] Smith."

"I could see both of those guys going in the first round," an NFC executive said of Geno Smith and Barkley, echoing remarks made by many scouts, coaches and fellow executives. "But neither of those guys makes you think you're getting a slam-dunk, no-doubt guy … you're not talking about [Andrew] Luck and [Robert] Griffin."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--2...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuZmwEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Also, article on Jags being tough to get a read on for the draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...uars-with-no-2-pick-are-drafts-biggest-enigma

Still think Geno to Iggles, though Chuck's Gruden Camp theory makes me question that

BigAT

Worst QB class in a Decade, when Pennington was taken 18. Article compares Barkley to Pennington. Everything you want except the arm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--2...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuZmwEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Also, article on Jags being tough to get a read on for the draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...uars-with-no-2-pick-are-drafts-biggest-enigma

Still think Geno to Iggles, though Chuck's Gruden Camp theory makes me question that

Pennington is still better by leaps and bounds than any quarterback in the '07 class.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I absolutely hate flying in a plane (just call me John Madden) but my 3DS XL and Fire Emblem got me through it. It's probably the best handheld I've ever owned. The PSP Go is still the best looking one though.

squicken

Pennington is still better by leaps and bounds than any quarterback in the '07 class.

Think it's the more pre-draft opinion versus career results

Coughlin thinks they should have repeated in 2008

Coughlin said when he thinks of the Giants' 2008 season, he can't help but first recall Plaxico Burress' self-shooting. At the time, the Giants were 11-1, but ended up losing to the Eagles in the playoffs. Had that incident not occurred, Coughlin said he was certain the team would repeat as Super Bowl champs. "We were the best team in the NFL at the time of the shooting," Coughlin said.
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/04/tom_coughlin_at_centerstage_ta.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom