• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I saw Total Recall in theaters when I was like 10.

I may have seen Robocop at an earlier age because the movie was sorta marketed towards children despite the hilarious amounts of violence and gore.

You guys are babies.
What was worse than Bioshock on the Atari/NES/Super Nintendo/Genesis? Mortal Kombat was laughable violence back in the day. It's so cartoonish I'm still stunned parents had a shit fit about it back in the day considering what's in the market today.

That was my heyday of gaming when I was 8-16.

wienke said:
...but Total Recall was awesome so you're good.

My parents took me to see Friday the 13th Part 6 when I was 9. I loved it:)

Milchjon

I dont have kids but I like to think I'm the rare type of person on this board that might some day spawn some little ones in a healthy environment. Even though I grew up playing some violent games (Resident Evil 1/2, Silent Hill 1, Ect) at an early age, I wouldnt let my kids play those types of games until I was totally sure they could handle the concept of reality and fiction.

That's always the plan, until you actually have kids, try to do everything better than everyone else and ten years down the road the kids still end up doing stupid shit :-D

Looking back at my friends and myself and everyone around me it sure seems like parenting is a crapshoot.

Of course parenting makes a difference. But you can never really predict how they end up. My parents did their absolute best, and I won't blame them for anything, while some of my friends had real asshole parents and still amounted to more.

So many lazy shitty parents out there who buy this shit to entertain their kids so they don't have to.

Lazy fucks get off the couch and take your 8 year old for a bike ride or to the library instead of buying them an Xbox or iPad.

But... my kid will have my genes, so chances are it will fall off the bike or something...

You guys are babies. We played way worse shit than Bioshock. Actually a few months ago I bought Mortal Kombat 2011 and wanted to see all of the fatalities, so instead of just YouTubing them, I actually went through the trouble of performing them all. Thing is, for my opponent everytime I always picked Jade, Mileena, Kitana, or Sonya. I thought to myself, "Gee, I wonder what a psychologist would say about my exclusively choosing scantily clad, large bossomed women to murder horrifically." Didn't deter me from doing it though

Go look up some of the Tomb Raider death scenes.

Grisly shit.

I feel like girls can handle that stuff at an early age. They don't go apeshit over games or movies. Boys are retarded though and need more discipline. At least IMHO.
Yep, you're on the money. Science is on your side on that one. Girls mature quicker in every way.

What was worse than Bioshock on the Atari/NES/Super Nintendo/Genesis? Mortal Kombat was laughable violence back in the day. It's so cartoonish I'm still stunned parents had a shit fit about it back in the day considering what's in the market today.

That was my heyday of gaming when I was 8-16.

...but Total Recall was awesome so you're good.

My parents took me to see Friday the 13th Part 6 when I was 9. I loved it:)

Mortal Kombat. Actually now that I think about it the newer games are probably worse because of the greater potential of emotional involvement. Oh I also killed a whole classroom of small children in Deus Ex Invisible War. Admittedly I thought the fact that the developers made it possible was more disturbing than the actual act

bionic77

That's always the plan, until you actually have kids, try to do everything better than everyone else and ten years down the road the kids still end up doing stupid shit :-D

Looking back at my friends and myself and everyone around me it sure seems like parenting is a crapshoot.

Of course parenting makes a difference. But you can never really predict how they end up. My parents did their absolute best, and I won't blame them for anything, while some of my friends had real asshole parents and still amounted to more.

But... my kid will have my genes, so chances are it will fall off the bike or something...
It is weird but a lot of the kids I know never learned how to ride a bike. Their parents just got them those power wheel things.

That is sad for me because my bike was a huge part of my childhood.

Milchjon

It is weird but a lot of the kids I know never learned how to ride a bike. Their parents just got them those power wheel things.

Those battery powered cars?

Man, I always wanted one of those, but my parents never got me one. I only had my stupid bike :-(

bionic77

Raiders fans are going to be sad when we turn Huff and McClain into legit criminals.
True they have lost their touch. The Ravens are the modern day Raiders. They can't even cheat and maim at a high level they way the Ravens can.

I wonder how you will keep it up without Ray there though.

Far more realistic visuals sort of help, too. Mortal Kombat for all of its gore is fucking tame by today's standard, IMO. I mean..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2JNxeWO_wA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQTp-xTO7hE

:jnc

Damn they really ratcheted it up for the sequel. Way more than the first one. Mortal Kombat 2011 had some really over the top fatalities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctJMBuWvMBc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Anyone play Battleblock Theatre yet? Demo is awesome. Who would have thought there would be so many damn good 2D platformers this gen

Those battery powered cars?

Man, I always wanted one of those, but my parents never got me one. I only had my stupid bike :-(

I had one. Was a small red jeep. Drove around my hood with shades on from 6-10. All the girls were snappin at the neck and all the boys were super jealous.

Was awesome. They had a tendency to flip though.

I used to bike all over the place, but I can't imagine letting my kids roam freely. Either the world has changed for the worse or I'm overprotective. Or maybe they're still too young.

Raiders fans are going to be sad when we turn Huff and McClain into legitimate NFL caliber players.

I don't think you'll get much out of Huff.

McClain has potential, still only 23 but he's lazy, selfish and stupid. He may do well in a 3-4 which he is more suited to and, he's actually not a bad tackler between the lines.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Eff it I bought the 3DS XL, got a red one.

I swear nowhere has Fire Emblem so I just settled on Luigi's Mansion 2 to add to my backlog of fun DS games.

A big plus was I got a gift card with the DS purchase and that covered the game purchase.

I have now given my DSi to my brother as he plays it more than I do anyways.

squicken

I may have seen Robocop at an earlier age because the movie was sorta marketed towards children despite the hilarious amounts of violence and gore.

Same. all the classics. red dawn, cobra, commando, rambo 2, running man, predator, mad max(s). 100s of times by the time I was a ten. not to mention tom and jerry and road runner. nothing wrong with violence for children

edit: With waiving of Rolando McClain, Darren McFadden is only Raiders first-rounder from last 10 years still on roster.

edit: @AnthonyDavis76 You will be a 1 contract and done kinda guy in the NFL. - Greg Schiano. lol

ChanHuk

Banned
Same. all the classics. red dawn, cobra, commando, rambo 2, running man, predator, mad max(s). 100s of times by the time I was a ten. not to mention tom and jerry and road runner. nothing wrong with violence for children

edit: With waiving of Rolando McClain, Darren McFadden is only Raiders first-rounder from last 10 years still on roster.

He's also on the trading block. I don't mind trading him, he's in his contract year. We can afford to resign him next season with out 69 million cap space, but eh he only plays 8 games a season.

ChanHuk

Banned
They're in total reboot mode, they're no longer the Raiders of Al Davis. They're more so the Raiders modeled after the Packers. Build through the draft and a key free agent (ironically Charles Woodson was the Packers key FA) with low cost FA as stop gaps preserving your cap for your core players.

If we're quite honest, the Raiders are far from just a RB to getting into the playoffs.

Colasante

They're in total reboot mode, they're no longer the Raiders of Al Davis. They're more so the Raiders modeled after the Packers. Build through the draft and a key free agent (ironically Charles Woodson was the Packers key FA) with low cost FA as stop gaps preserving your cap for your core players.

If we're quite honest, the Raiders are far from just a RB to getting into the playoffs.

They've been modeled after the Packers so far. We'll see how steadfast they stick to the pure 'draft and develop' model when they're sitting on $70 million in cap room next year and only have two players worth resigning.

ChanHuk

Banned
They'll throw money at a key free agent that they can build around. I rather them throw money at MJD than RunDMC next season. They'll need to resign Jared Veldheer and Lamar Houston next season. I think the entire front 7 are free agents in 2014 except Nick Roach and Miles Burris.

Colasante

It'd be very smart for them to trade McFadden, but it's hard to gauge what sort of compensation they would receive. He's shown the ability to be a great talent at times, but obviously has huge injury issues and will command a fairly sizable contract eventually. I could see a team like the Broncos or Jets being willing to trade a 2nd or 3rd potentially, but it's also possible they see an RB with a similar ceiling for a much lower cost in this draft.

Generally I don't think the Raiders have the luxury of being a pure draft and develop team like the Packers, since the Packers weren't nearly in the quagmire the Raiders are in when Ted Thompson took over and they had considerably more talented players than the Raiders currently do.

squicken

The Raiders problem is that they would have to pay any free agent big money to go to a rebuilding team, and those are the kind of deals where the player goes Aaron Ross and treats it as a paid vacation. They really do just need to build through the draft, get the OL set up, then draft a QB next year

squicken

Wonder how high he will go. He seems like the only QB prospect that doesn't get torn to pieces

- Yesterday I posted on Twitter that Matt Scott/QB/Arizona, a signal caller swiftly moving up draft boards, has a visit with the Denver Broncos scheduled for next week. Interestingly enough two years ago at this time I was reporting that John Elway and the Broncos were ready to select Colin Kaepernick in the second round of the 2011 draft, a story that made the rounds on the world wide web. At the time Elway viewed Kaepernick as a replacement for Tim Tebow, who he was not high on. Ironically the Broncos traded their pick in the second round, the 36th selection of the draft, to the San Francisco 49ers who selected none other than Colin Kaepernick. As we all know the Broncos eventually dumped Tebow for a mid-round choice while Kaepernick lead the 49ers to the Super Bowl. I am told the driving force behind bringing Matt Scott to Denver is the team’s new quarterback coach, Greg Knapp. Yet its a bit ironic they have an interest in Scott, whose game is reminiscent of the signal caller they passed on two years ago. Evidently Scott turned in a terrific workout today for the Seattle Seahawks today, completing all but two of the 65 passes he was asked to throw. His targets were receivers from a local high school. Scott finished the workout hauling a long pass 65-yards through the air.

edit: Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
On Rolando McClain: He was never comfortable heading all the way to Oakland, being from Bama. Told old staff that. They drafted him anyway.

cdyhybrid

Could Scott sneak into the second? I could easily see us taking him with a third, not sure about a second. But that's just my opinion, John and Pete march to the beat of their own drum.

squicken

Could Scott sneak into the second? I could easily see us taking him with a third, not sure about a second. But that's just my opinion, John and Pete march to the beat of their own drum.

I really only watched one full game of his, which was the USC game. The Nevada game was just stupid and worthless imo. But he looked damn good vs Southern Cal. I guess with Geno, I saw enough to know I don't like his game, where with Scott I just saw enough to really like him, but not enough to observe all the flaws

cdyhybrid

I really only watched one full game of his, which was the USC game. The Nevada game was just stupid and worthless imo. But he looked damn good vs Southern Cal. I guess with Geno, I saw enough to know I don't like his game, where with Scott I just saw enough to really like him, but not enough to observe all the flaws

USC's defense was pretty shitty this year, and RichRod is obviously a good offensive coach, so I dunno how much stock I'd put in one game. Plus, teams would have to determine if there were any long-term effects resulting from DickRod playing him while he had a concussion.

Eff it I bought the 3DS XL, got a red one.

I swear nowhere has Fire Emblem so I just settled on Luigi's Mansion 2 to add to my backlog of fun DS games.

A big plus was I got a gift card with the DS purchase and that covered the game purchase.

I have now given my DSi to my brother as he plays it more than I do anyways.
Welcome, brother! You have made a very wise decision.

Heading back now from the O's game and it was awesome. You guys who don't like baseball are crazy. You guys who do, I'll promise to act surprised when they find Chris Davis' name on Ryan Braun's PED buddy list.

Milchjon

Heading back now from the O's game and it was awesome. You guys who don't like baseball are crazy. You guys who do, I'll promise to act surprised when they find Chris Davis' name on Ryan Braun's PED buddy list.

Beer and hot dogs are indeed great. I'd take one of those seats right behind a pillar or something. They're discounted, right?

squicken

USC's defense was pretty shitty this year, and RichRod is obviously a good offensive coach, so I dunno how much stock I'd put in one game. Plus, teams would have to determine if there were any long-term effects resulting from DickRod playing him while he had a concussion.

Yeah that was stupid of RR. But he showed lots of heart before the concussion. Got hit all game and stood tall. Watching Landry Jones, I can tell you that even against bad defenses, some QBs still can't handle pressure

Scott is small, but so is Russell. Both can be arm tackled. Wilson is so quick that he gets away from those. Not sure on Scott. I'd definitely take Scott at top of third over Geno or Barkley at end of round 1

Beer and hot dogs are indeed great. I'd take one of those seats right behind a pillar or something. They're discounted, right?
Oh no, expensive as heck. Seats are cheap though and Camden Yards doesn't have a bad seat in the house. They also let you bring in outside food but not drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom