• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiryu

It's 30 minutes of this. Awful show.

dkpnmee8suwf.gif
I like how he have Russell Wilson Picture in background.

Tim Tebow is in there too...

It's not about having Internet. It's the fact that WHEN, not if, when, XBL shits the bed you are fucked until its back up.

Maybe this happens once or a hundred times it doesn't matter. If I paid $500 for a console, if I paid $60 for the game then I don't want ms dictating when I can play.

If ms does this I won't buy their system no matter what it does or what games it has. Same with Sony if they do it.

squicken

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
49ers OT Anthony Davis signs five-year contract extension, per source with knowledge of deal. 17m guaranteed

Wonder if that freed up cap space? I know it was an offseason priority for them, but I wonder if there is more to come

edit: I've always been amused by the psychology or whatever you want to call it around consoles. iPads are insanely expensive. So are smartphones. These have lots of uses, but are ultimately luxury items that aren't nearly as useful without an internet connection. And people buy them every few years. But launch a console at $500, and the same people updating year old Macbooks b/c the new one has a better Retina display will start whining about price, on their internet connection that has a 99.9999% up time.

I don't have any sort of problem with an always on console. Publishers are dying. Whatever ground they can reclaim from the pirates and Gamestop is fine by me. If MS can't mange the launches of its big titles, like EA did with Sim City, then no one will buy it. Sony makes a perfectly fine if not better alternative. Seems like a good situation where the market can speak

I'm not going to say that I will never buy the next Xbox, but if always-online ends up being true it will definitely be a reason for me to pass on it at launch for the PS4. I'm already leaning that way but always-online would make it an even easier decision. Microsoft hasn't done anything in the past two or three years to make me feel like their next console will be worth buying, honestly.

SonnyBoy

Depending on how Pat White looks and performs during the off-season, this is what I envision he could be used for. He is a QB on this team by title only. Again IF, I said IF he can get back to his former athletic ability, he'll be a utility player during the regular season. During OTA's and camp, he's an extra arm and someone who can mimic RGIII.

The reason I believe he makes the 53 man roster is because he was sought after by a divisional rival. I do believe that teams strategically attempt to gain advantages by doing what they perceive will weaken an opponent. While, I don't think that signing White really weakens the Giants in any way. Training him up during the off-season, exposing him to the playbook and RGIII specific concepts would make him a valuable addition to a divisional foe. The secretive man that Shanahan is, I can't see him doing that. It just doesn't make since to poach a guy, just to train him up and release him back to the sharks.

The main purpose of the read-option is to freeze the defense. While defenses are attempting to adapt this off-season, the coaches employing this offense are trying to stay a step ahead. We've seen that with SEA acquisition of Percy. Having him in the backfield introduces another big threat that defense MUST respect. The link below is how I think the Redskins could possibly utilize Pat IF he can regain some sort of his previous athleticism.

2 QB offense - Basically optioning to Pat who then has the option to either run or pass.

It's just an idea.

My problem with always on is that I have had several instances where my internet has been out but my power hasnt. Also both Sony and MS have had long stretches where their online was down. S gave the game Undertow out to make up for it, and Sony gave out several games. What happens if they have a month long outage and you cant even turn your console on? I have it happen all the time that my phone wont get internet in some place, if I couldnt make calls every time the internet went out I would switch phones for sure.

SonnyBoy

My problem with always on is that I have had several instances where my internet has been out but my power hasnt. Also both Sony and MS have had long stretches where their online was down. S gave the game Undertow out to make up for it, and Sony gave out several games. What happens if they have a month long outage and you cant even turn your console on? I have it happen all the time that my phone wont get internet in some place, if I couldnt make calls every time the internet went out I would switch phones for sure.

It'll suck for those of us whose lines aren't run underground. If a pole goes down, no gaming for me if I were to buy it.

bionic77

Like clockwork. :\ People are hopeless.
People (especially consumer fanboy people) are the worst.

But it is all too predictable that people will just bend over and take it. I think last gen is going to be known as the spread the ass checks generation. It just gave the green light to publishers and the console manufacturers. DLC, shitty hardware, Xbox Live, you name it and people put up with it.

People (especially consumer fanboy people) are the worst.

But it is all too predictable that people will just bend over and take it. I think last gen is going to be known as the spread the ass checks generation. It just gave the green light to publishers and the console manufacturers. DLC, shitty hardware, Xbox Live, you name it and people put up with it.

Why do people still talk about DLC like it is a bad thing? Games this gen had way more content thanks to devs being able to add stuff after the game came out. So many games got huge expansions to both sp and mp. DLC is easily one of the best things to ever happen to gaming.

squicken

Why do people still talk about DLC like it is a bad thing? Games this gen had way more content thanks to devs being able to add stuff after the game came out. So many games got huge expansions to both sp and mp. DLC is easily one of the best things to ever happen to gaming.

People compare 2005 consoles to 1996 consoles as if they are all the same devices. Or that the expansion packs that were made by 4 dudes over a 2 month period and released for free on PC back in 2001 are the same as the DLC sold now.

And for the record I, like everyone else, want everything to be awesome and free and for their to be no advertisements.

bionic77

You think DLC on the disc is the best thing to ever happen to gaming?

Man I thought you peaked with your comments about Kolb being a sure fire hall of famer.

I was so wrong to underestimate you. You are truly one of the greats. You are not a one hit wonder and I will punch anyone in the face that says otherwise.

LevelNth

Banned
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
49ers OT Anthony Davis signs five-year contract extension, per source with knowledge of deal. 17m guaranteed

Wonder if that freed up cap space? I know it was an offseason priority for them, but I wonder if there is more to come.
It didn't, it's just an extension on his last two rookie deal years. His hit isn't really that high this year anyways, so lowering it wouldn't really be feasible outside of maybe a million or so, which isn't a huge deal.

The big hits for the Niners this year are Whitner, Justin Smith, Goodwin and Rogers, the first three of which are in their final years. Only Smith may likely receive an extension, and maybe Rogers might be asked to take a pay cut.

Anyways, I adore this deal for the Niners, Marathe and Baalke genius yet again. Davis is a Top 5 RT in the league right now, only 23 years old, and by the time this new deal starts in 2015, he won't even be in the Top 10 highest paid. Both tackles on the line locked up through 2017 now.

More details on the Romo contract:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 31m

Romo details finally in . . . cap numbers are $11.8M in 2013, $21.7M in 2014, $25.2M in 2015, $15.135M in 2016. More to come at PFT.

Dragon

Banned
Console fanboys are the worst.

<---Sony fanboy here

I had a 360 at launch and it was a great console but I just prefer the variety of exclusives on PS3.

bionic77

Maybe the reason the next Xbox is because its also like a cable box type thing like rumors have said.
It will be hilarious if it isn't always online at this point.

Console fanboys are the worst.

<---Sony fanboy here

I had a 360 at launch and it was a great console but I just prefer the variety of exclusives on PS3.
I agree that you are among the worst.

I don't know if I am a Sony fanboy, but I have had no complaints with any of the Playstations. I feel like the PS2 was their best work and probably the best console I have had along with the SNES. The PS3 was very eh, but it is a decent BR and Netflix box (which is its main use along with FIFA before I had kids). But like with anything else, if they start to make shit then I will go elsewhere.

I have to say that I do miss Sega making consoles.

Maybe the reason the next Xbox is because its also like a cable box type thing like rumors have said.
forcing an always on connection is lame but my real concern is why they're forcing it. is it part of their no used game policy? I find it hard to believe that these idiots are blind to the diablo iii and simcity backlash.

Dragon

Banned
forcing an always on connection is lame but my real concern is why they're forcing it. is it part of their no used game policy? I find it hard to believe that these idiots are blind to the diablo iii and simcity backlash.

The rumored three minute timeout is the most insane part about it. Imagine being kicked out of a game because Time Warner fucks up.

bionic77

I think it will really put a big damper on piracy as well. Which is not a horrible thing and I like that aspect of it.

But I think it will also make it pretty much a no go in most of Asia and the rest of the world where piracy is the norm.

And if it is always online will the console just not work whenever MS stops the servers running it?

You think DLC on the disc is the best thing to ever happen to gaming?

Man I thought you peaked with your comments about Kolb being a sure fire hall of famer.

I was so wrong to underestimate you. You are truly one of the greats. You are not a one hit wonder and I will punch anyone in the face that says otherwise.

Yeah because all DLC is on disk. You could have just not replied if you had nothing to say. It just looks sad that you have to try to bring up Kolb.

Dragon

Banned
I think it will really put a big damper on piracy as well. Which is not a horrible thing and I like that aspect of it.

But I think it will also make it pretty much a no go in most of Asia and the rest of the world where piracy is the norm.

And if it is always online will the console just not work whenever MS stops the servers running it?

MS doesn't really care about Asia, unless China starts allowing console sales. Then they'd be stupid not to.

As to your question, currently the rumor is after three minutes without Internet you will be kicked out of whatever you're running and unable to do anything.

bionic77

Yeah because all DLC is on disk. You could have just not replied if you had nothing to say. It just looks sad that you have to try to bring up Kolb.
Its not all on disc, but it does seem that quite a lot of it seems to be made at the same time as the game and then they just delay the release to increase the amount of money they get from it. From the same gen when they increased game prices to $60 and generally reduced the amount of content (at least single player, to be fair a lot of games did try to add multiplayer which a lot of people value a lot).

I could be wrong about DLC and Kolb, but I wouldn't bet on it!

bionic77

MS doesn't really care about Asia, unless China starts allowing console sales. Then they'd be stupid not to.

As to your question, currently the rumor is after three minutes without Internet you will be kicked out of whatever you're running and unable to do anything.
Nah I was talking about like 10 years from now. Will the 720 or Xbox 3 or whatever still work 10 years from now if MS shuts down the servers if it requires always online to work?

Its not all on disc, but it does seem that quite a lot of it seems to be made at the same time as the game and then they just delay the release to increase the amount of money they get from it. From the same gen when they increased game prices to $60 and generally reduced the amount of content (at least single player, to be fair a lot of games did try to add multiplayer which a lot of people value a lot).

I could be wrong about DLC and Kolb, but I wouldn't be on it!

I think that on disk DLC in the exception now rather then the norm. I could see maybe not liking season passes, since you are blind buying stuff then, but games like Gears 3 added so much content through DLC. They are able now to extend the life of a game for over a year now after release. Even sp only games have done a great job with DLC. They added so much to Skyrim for example. No way could all that stuff ever been on disk at release.

Nah I was talking about like 10 years from now. Will the 720 or Xbox 3 or whatever still work 10 years from now if MS shuts down the servers if it requires always online to work?

That is a great point and I hadnt seen anyone mention it in the thread about the news. It would suck to have a console not work due to the servers being shut down. It is a tragedy that games like ChromeHounds already dont work due to them shutting the servers down.

Dragon

Banned
I think that on disk DLC in the exception now rather then the norm. I could see maybe not liking season passes, since you are blind buying stuff then, but games like Gears 3 added so much content through DLC. They are able now to extend the life of a game for over a year now after release. Even sp only games have done a great job with DLC. They added so much to Skyrim for example. No way could all that stuff ever been on disk at release.

You give good examples and then there's the whole horrible Gears Judgment paying for weapon skins shit. 4 fucking dollars for some of them! By the same company that you're applauding no less!

Unless you have shitloads of money and want to waste it, don't buy season passes. I learned that lesson with Saint's Row The Third

squicken

It didn't, it's just an extension on his last two rookie deal years. His hit isn't really that high this year anyways, so lowering it wouldn't really be feasible outside of maybe a million or so, which isn't a huge deal.

The big hits for the Niners this year are Whitner, Justin Smith, Goodwin and Rogers, the first three of which are in their final years. Only Smith may likely receive an extension, and maybe Rogers might be asked to take a pay cut.

Anyways, I adore this deal for the Niners, Marathe and Baalke genius yet again. Davis is a Top 5 RT in the league right now, only 23 years old, and by the time this new deal starts in 2015, he won't even be in the Top 10 highest paid. Both tackles on the line locked up through 2017 now.

Yeah I think it's great the way they lock up their good players early. He'll be 29 if he plays the deal out all the way, so he can still get another big contract. I think teams don't value RTs and Guards enough. Teams aren't just blitzing off the open side now. It comes from all over and you need 5 good players. Having Kap so cheap is such a huge thing for SF

edit:

NFL: AroundTheLeague &#8207;@NFL_ATL
Aaron Ross said on @NFL_AM that playing for the Jags was "A nice vacation in Florida."

I enjoyed that "vacation" he took at UT as well. Better hope he's always behind an elite Giants front four, b/c he usually just isn't good

You give good examples and then there's the whole horrible Gears Judgment paying for weapon skins shit. 4 fucking dollars for some of them! By the same company that you're applauding no less!

Unless you have shitloads of money and want to waste it, don't buy season passes. I learned that lesson with Saint's Row The Third

I have never bought a skin for a character/weapon. If people rally want to drop $4 for that then that is their prerogative. GoWJ actually gives you a ton of unlockable skins, so there really is no reason to buy them.

squicken

A lot of unemployed vets have teams that are interested in them, but the vets feel that if they to play for minimum deals, they will just wait for training camps to start before signing so they don't have to deal with OTAs and mini-camps

The problem is the way the argument is approached. You, bionic and a large portion of the gaming side are apt to shit on the companies that practice on disc DLC or skins for $4 when in reality your beef should be with the people who plop down that $4 to begin with. They create the market. The publishers simply profit from it.

It's tough to blame publishers for their practices when we as gamers gobble the shit up despite the bitching that goes on about it. Epic/MS aren't going to take the time to create alternate weapon skins for $4 if there wasn't a market for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom