• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Better for all of us if you people don't reproduce.

Also, the avatar is gone forever!

I am baaaaaaaaaaaaaack you filthy bitches! I can't wait to watch the Pats fall apart and witness the Steelers rise to glory!

Damn, you got fucking ugly within seconds.

RBH

Better for all of us if you people don't reproduce.

Also, the avatar is gone forever!

I am baaaaaaaaaaaaaack you filthy bitches! I can't wait to watch the Pats fall apart and witness the Steelers rise to glory!

fpAeH.png

jakncoke

Banned
Stafford would have to win 22 straight games against teams .500 or better to have a .500 record against teams with a .500 or better. Reality for you!

Hey everyone (EZ specifically), I'm going into full blown optimism mode with training camp for the Lions. If you could all bring me back to reality and tell me how fat my qb is, how overrated the DTs are, remind Jim Schwartz is still the coach, etc. I would really appreciate it. I know I can count on you

Also, apparently congrats are due to Yankee!
Sure thing!

Nick Fairley was a monster when healthy, you combine him with Suh and a raw Ansah and they're going to give teams fits up front, or should anyway.

You have to realize who's coaching that team to begin with. Stop the run on the way to the QB. No reading, just penetrating.

Lets look at the abysmal Bills defense from a season ago. 2nd most QB pressures from the DT position according to PFF. Bottom of the barrel in run D. Completely out of their fits all game long, because the goal was to penetrate and not worry about the run, that was the LBs roll.

Basically, you put in a garbage system, you get garbage results.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Looks like I have to go do some work. The paying kind. I'll finish up the ot some time this evening. Probably while watching the 4th string Cowboys play the 3rd string Phins.

What's the book going to be about? I will definitely buy a copy.

Tell me about this book.

This is one of the things I need to work on: the summary. I wrote the first draft of this about 20 years ago and it topped out at a whopping 190K+ words. By the time I was finished and gotten the usual rejections from agents/publishers, my kids were on the way and it got tucked into a closet.

Enter the Kindle age and self-publishing and I dragged it back out and got involved with a writer's group. It's been seriously trimmed down (to ~130K words), which has made it a tighter book. The group is reviewing the last of it this week, then I'll spend a couple months incorporating feedback, sending it out in one big block to anyone from the group who wants a last shot at it, then hopefully up on Amazon by the end of the year.

What's it about? It's a fantasy/sci-fi mix. There is a world with a medieval feel to it that is struggling, where the land is rotting around them. There are creatures that live there that, under the right conditions, transform from docile beings into violent, armored monsters. In this world, there is a gateway that links to our world, roughly 20 years in our future. Automation, electric cars, etc are more prevalent; the Internet is now a 3D world you access via a visor. There's a bit of mystery to it, as I piece together the structure of the medieval world, how it came into existence, why these creatures transform.

Ultimately I focused on writing a fantasy/sci-fi book that didn't line up good on one side and evil on the other and have them duke it out. I focused on the characters, their motivations, so that even the "bad guys" are more shades of gray.

MechDX

Went to Texans training camp today

Think my lens was out of focus, but oh well. First of all it was fucking hot even at 8am. Not a cloud in the sky. Couldn't do shit but just bake in the sun. Seeing some of these dudes in person lets you really know how big they are. Watt is fucking huge. Was a pretty good time. Got my fill and then had to roll as it started to approach noon. Texas heat around noon, no sir. Schaub still looked like trash, although I feel like Hopkins may really help him out. Looked nice out there.

Should have threw your camera at Schaub. I would have replaced your camera for you. In between the eyes gets you a new camera of your choice.

Narag

This is one of the things I need to work on: the summary. I wrote the first draft of this about 20 years ago and it topped out at a whopping 190K+ words. By the time I was finished and gotten the usual rejections from agents/publishers, my kids were on the way and it got tucked into a closet.

Enter the Kindle age and self-publishing and I dragged it back out and got involved with a writer's group. It's been seriously trimmed down (to ~130K words), which has made it a tighter book. The group is reviewing the last of it this week, then I'll spend a couple months incorporating feedback, sending it out in one big block to anyone from the group who wants a last shot at it, then hopefully up on Amazon by the end of the year.

What's it about? It's a fantasy/sci-fi mix. There is a world with a medieval feel to it that is struggling, where the land is rotting around them. There are creatures that live there that, under the right conditions, transform from docile beings into violent, armored monsters. In this world, there is a gateway that links to our world, roughly 20 years in our future. Automation, electric cars, etc are more prevalent; the Internet is now a 3D world you access via a visor. There's a bit of mystery to it, as I piece together the structure of the medieval world, how it came into existence, why these creatures transform.

Ultimately I focused on writing a fantasy/sci-fi book that didn't line up good on one side and evil on the other and have them duke it out. I focused on the characters, their motivations, so that even the "bad guys" are more shades of gray.

Be sure to let us know when it goes up.

Russell for sure. I love that guy.

Witchking that sounds awesome. I am really excited to read it.

Cool. Thanks.

I need to work a GAF reference in there. There's a point in the book when someone is looking through their visor and sees all these icons. I should reference one as looking like the GAF icon.

Greg

Count me in. I'll admit I'm not the biggest reader of books, but I'm all for supporting NFL-GAF.

I need to work a GAF reference in there.
There should be a large creature that lives in a swamp. Except later in the book it's revealed the swamp is actually gravy and the creature is just Matt Stafford.

Your QB is fat. Also, all his golden stats are garbage stats. When all you do is slang the ball while down by 7 or more, any QB can look good.

Your franchise is a joke, from one end to the other. From their birth to current day, they have been a punching bag for everyone. Winning the suberbowl? Hell, making the playoffs is enough reason to cause mass celebration for you. Hitting .500 on the season puts gets your coaches a bonus.

Now, go back to the shithole you call a city, remember that the Lions are pathetic, and eat a bag of dicks.

This new Vikings fan is what I imagine Slo was like before he had a family and the alcoholism really started taking its toll. Which is just super!

And LJ is totally right. I've been saying what garbage the coaching staff is for ages. Schwartz and Cunningham'a wide 9 scheme lets Running backs go wild with the penetrate first mind set and the LB crew isn't good enough to fill in run support consistently. And Scott Linnehan is just the worst. So bad as a play caller and OC in general

That sounds pretty cool.

I'll be there day one, man!

Neat!

I wrote a sci-fi story too! It's also way too long (>200k), not doing that crap again. After unintentionally writing such a long book, I think ~100k (say... about 300 pages) feels about right.

Neat!

I wrote a sci-fi story too! It's also way too long (>200k), not doing that crap again. After unintentionally writing such a long book, I think ~100k (say... about 300 pages) feels about right.

I'm an Engish major with a Creative Writing slant to it. I have several books piled up around here that I need to go through. The one I'm working on now is by far the longest I wrote, though.

Some stories require more words than others.

I'm an Engish major with a Creative Writing slant to it. I have several books piled up around here that I need to go through. The one I'm working on now is by far the longest I wrote, though.

Some stories require more words than others.
Agreed. What I'll be doing in the future is breaking down the longer stories into installments. Same thing they do for certain movie scripts that get too big
The Hobbit
, really.

Good luck with the final stages of getting the book done. Editing sucks.

Vire

Fucking piece of shit Comcast.

Outage and they say it isn't going to be back up till 9 PM EST.

Are you kidding me? In South Florida no less.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
iPad playbook helping McCoy seize No. 2 QB role

No one is benefitting more from the 49ers’ new iPad-version playbook than quarterback Colt McCoy, Colin Kaepernick’s new backup this coming season.

All 90 players received iPads at training camp, and McCoy is constantly using his to study the 49ers’ complex schemes and view practice-field video or game film.

“As soon as we get in the locker room, the practice film is on the iPad,” McCoy said. “So I can grab a quick bite to eat, and as I’m eating, look at practice, at what the play was.”

McCoy didn’t have such iPad ingenuity the past three seasons with the Cleveland Browns. Four months ago the former University of Texas star was dealt to the 49ers for fifth- and seventh-round draft picks.

“I’ve always liked to write things down, highlight them and write my own little notes,” McCoy said. “But you can type out your notes on there and it’s pretty neat.”

McCoy has had a lot to learn the past four months in seizing the No. 2 role that belonged to Alex Smith, at least once Smith sustained a Nov. 11 concussion to allow for Kaepernick’s promotion.

In adopting digital playbooks, the 49ers followed a growing trend around the NFL, after testing out the iPads last season.

The Baltimore Ravens and Tampa Bay Buccaneers were the pioneers in 2011, and a dozen teams reportedly switched to iPad playbooks last season.

“It’s going to be effective,” McCoy said. “The technology is there and everything is moving that way. I don’t know if there’ll be hard-copy playbooks for much longer.

Left tackle Joe Staley told 49ers.com: “It’s going to be a big help to have everything we need, with us at all times. I think it’s going to be a big benefit.”

NFL iOS future.

JABEE

The NFL Network is airing propaganda. People like Tom Brady? No. JJ Watt is wearing a Brewers hat during his segment.

Geno slow at making reads and Sanchez missing wide open receivers. Godamnit Garrard this is your fault! You were suppose to be the one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom