• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
That's a really great offer, but I worry about you if you were to get a 3DS. You would lose your life and become a horrible Pats fan. In your best interest, I will have to decline your offer.
I'm already a fan of the greatest team in sports, the New England Patriots. I worry for your mind, you must be destroying it by living in your Animal fantasy world all day and night. You have made me reconsider my offer, and I have decided to move on to a real man's portable, the Vita.

ChanHuk

Banned
I'm already a fan of the greatest team in sports, the New England Patriots. I worry for your mind, you must be destroying it by living in your Animal fantasy world all day and night. You have made me reconsider my offer, and I have decided to move on to a real man's portable, the Vita.

That statement is really an oxymoron isn't it? Silly you

Greg

Didn't grab me really. Not sure. I've gone back to it once or twice since then. I like it fine.
I just love how they're constantly adding content. I haven't played in a couple weeks, but I always have a good time when I go back.

eznark

Banned
I just love how they're constantly adding content. I haven't played in a couple weeks, but I always have a good time when I go back.

Yeah, it definitely seems great just one of those things. Too many games. Playing Dota for 3-4 hours a night the last month or so hasn't helped things.

bionic77

I'm right there with you, man. Halo's story is a joke and I was very disappointed with BI's story after all the hype so I know where you're coming from. Story is generally the last reason I play games as I'm almost always a gameplay first kinda guy. I just think TLoU finally managed to get it right and quite frankly it really shocked me. There's a reason why the spoiler thread is so long, and it's not because "OMG TWITHT!!" like most games with "great" stories.

Part of the reason why I love TLoU so much is because it is the anti-video game in terms of story. It doesn't feel focus tested and it isn't written to please the crowd necessarily.
It is really hard to take gamers opinions on story and atmosphere seriously because lets be honest most gamers are mouth breathing kids/teenagers or the low lifes who do a bad job washing my car or cutting my grass. I usually look to poster who I am familiar with, usually in the sports section, for opinions on games and movies. I mean most GAFers are so fucking stupid they act like buying a telephone is the most important decision in their life. I can't stand those people.

I remember when I was younger I would also be way more into a games story, but fuck that was even on NES games where the story was often just the instruction manual.

Greg

Yeah, it definitely seems great just one of those things. Too many games. Playing Dota for 3-4 hours a night the last month or so hasn't helped things.
I should give that a shot now that I have a newer computer. I played League of Legends for a while and tried DotA when it first came out, but it ran like complete shit on my laptop compared to League for some reason.

MechDX

It is really hard to take gamers opinions on story and atmosphere seriously because lets be honest most gamers are mouth breathing kids/teenagers or the low lifes who do a bad job washing my car or cutting my grass. I usually look to poster who I am familiar with, usually in the sports section, for opinions on games and movies. I mean most GAFers are so fucking stupid they act like buying a telephone is the most important decision in their life. I can't stand those people.

I remember when I was younger I would also be way more into a games story, but fuck that was even on NES games where the story was often just the instruction manual.

Then get Deadpool. Game is so freaking under rated its scary. Doesn't take itself seriously and Deadpools banter makes the game.

Also,....
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/03/patriots-teammates-hernandez-a-loner/

Spin Patriots spin!! Patriot way!

Wrayfield

Were you guys into Animal Crossing much before this game? why is this one in particular so popular?

I translated the GameCube and first DS one, so I kinda played it as part of it. Got a bit hooked, though it's normally not my kinda game. Not sure why it's so important. They seem to have added more content and it gives it more lifetime, and the whole visiting other people's towns. My gf loves it and we both have 3DSs so it's kinda nice to talk turnips and such.

The Last of Us is about 100 times better than Animal Crossing, which you'd know if you hadn't already dismissed it as an RE4 clone (I'm assuming). Just sayin'!

Apples and oranges, brother. No way to compare those two alone from the fact that one can be played for 10 mins a day if you're not too obsess, the other requires you to follow a long storyline. Still have TLOU on my list and will pick it up in a few weeks when I have time,

Oh I still play plenty of games but I've always been more of a PC strategy gamer than anything and that combined with absurd low level dota and I don't miss single player games at all.

You into Crusader Kings? Can't stop playing this game, my personal GOTY.

You're missing out. They nailed the comedy of Deadpool perfectly. His interaction with the developer (High Moon) is awesome.
Too bad the gameplay itself is so completely blah that it strives to be average.

Felt similarly after playing Remember Me. Great setting, great visuals with some good gameplay ideas that never comes together and barely registers above the slew of third person brawlers out there.

At least Remember Me had bouts of fun though. I hated what I played of Deadpool.

Fantomex

Were you guys into Animal Crossing much before this game? why is this one in particular so popular?

It's popular because the 3ds is an awesome little machine, and the fact people can legit interact online now. The other systems Animal Crossing released on had no online support really. The graphics are nicer, the interactivity is great and the QR machine has unlocked a whole new world when it comes to creativity. It helps people who have no interest in spending time creating things and just copying and pasting them into their town.

The Last of Us is about 100 times better than Animal Crossing, which you'd know if you hadn't already dismissed it as an RE4 clone (I'm assuming). Just sayin'!

I strongly disagree. Completely different genres. They are both experiences in their own way, however I do agree that TOLU is legendary in it's story from what I've heard. But to that regard, Animal Crossing will have you coming back for more, I haven't seen too many people come back to TOLU afterwards.

Turnips up to 212. Hopefully they'll continue to rise so I can make some money from tips.

They definitely will, remember to visit the Turnip thread. A lot of people are helping each other out, especially in Europe. A lot of folks playing it and getting good turnip prices. Last night I had to get in on it because Portals town was paying 538 for turnips.

on the phone with PayPal, and I want to break something

I was transferred through 5 different people before I found one that has even heard of their micropayments account

I feel your pain. The worst was when ebay bought Paypal.

Pats suck

Good morning you degenerate boogers

Yup

Then get Deadpool. Game is so freaking under rated its scary. Doesn't take itself seriously and Deadpools banter makes the game.

Also,....
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/03/patriots-teammates-hernandez-a-loner/

Spin Patriots spin!! Patriot way!

I definitely want to pick up that Deadpool game, but I'm probably gonna wait for DAT price drop eventually.

Nori Chan

God you fuckers are tempting me so hard for a 3DS xl. If only there were some bundles that could give me a good game then is jump on it.

Dat faint praise
One of the rare games that doesn't require the "for a game" qualifier when talking about its story, IMO.

I understand the sentiment about feeling like yet another post-apocalyptic world and there's elements of "we are the monsters" you're describing but the primary drive of the story has little to do with that and much more to do with the development and interpersonal relationship of the two main character.

The only barrier for folks wanting to play is whether you enjoy stealth or survival horror games or not. Both are the big elements that comprise the game play. If they don't click, then you're not going to find much to enjoy.

MechDX

Too bad the gameplay itself is so completely blah that it strives to be average.

Felt similarly after playing Remember Me. Great setting, great visuals with some good gameplay ideas that never comes together and barely registers above the slew of third person brawlers out there.

At least Remember Me had bouts of fun though. I hated what I played of Deadpool.

The first couple hours are kind of meh gameplay wise but the sheer outrageous comedy helps to save it. After that you start to level up more and the gameplay gets really damn good. Start unlocking different combos and upgrading weapons. Get a 100x multiplier combo finished up with some Gunkata is very rewarding.

Maybe its just when you die and Deadpool comes on the screen to tell you how bad you suck reminds me of this place.

Fantomex

God you fuckers are tempting me so hard for a 3DS xl. If only there were some bundles that could give me a good game then is jump on it.

Hit up Craigslist bro. I see dudes selling their XL's plus 1 or 2 games for like $200. The best bundle imo is the Blue DS XL that comes with Mario Kart, but that seems to be extinct now.

Fantomessican, I'm going to Bella Terra for some Pei Wei.

Thats shameful Focker. Americanized Asian cuisine.
Is it good? Never been.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ESPN - Hernandez role in '07 shooting probed:

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Authorities in the Massachusetts murder case against former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez have reached out to the police in Gainesville, Fla., in hopes of determining if Hernandez had any role in a 2007 shooting that left two men wounded, a source with knowledge of the murder investigation told ABC News. One of the men was shot in the back of the head, according to a police report of the shooting obtained by ESPN's "Outside the Lines."

At the time of the 2007 shooting, Hernandez was a freshman on the University of Florida football team. Hernandez is being held without bail in Massachusetts after being charged June 26 with first-degree murder of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd and five weapons-related counts. Prosecutors called Lloyd's killing an execution-style shooting orchestrated by Hernandez because Lloyd talked to the wrong people at a nightclub. Authorities said Lloyd was shot three times at an industrial park as he twisted away in a futile attempt to avoid gunshots and then was shot two more times on each side of the chest.

The 2007 Gainesville shooting happened on Sept. 30, when Hernandez was a 17-year-old freshman with the Gators. The two men and a friend of theirs had left a nightclub and were in their car stopped at a light blocks away when their vehicle was fired upon, according to the statements two of the men gave to police. Corey Smith, a 28-year-old at the time who was sitting in the front passenger seat, was shot in back of the head. Justin Glass, the 19-year-old driver, was shot in the arm. Randall Cason, sitting in the back seat behind Smith, was unharmed.

While several witnesses told police the shooter was a black male, Cason said there were two suspects.

Cason, then 20, told police that shooter was a "Hawaiian" or "Hispanic" male who had a large muscular build, stood about 6-foot-3 or 6-foot-4, weighed about 230 or 240 pounds and had a lot of tattoos. Cason said there was also a black male with the shooter, and Cason identified the black male as Reggie Nelson, a former Florida Gator who was a rookie with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Nelson, in an interview with the Gainesville police, said he had been at the nightclub earlier but denied he was even on the same street as the shooting.

"As they were waiting for the light to change, the Hawaiian football player and Reggie Nelson walked up to their car on the right side," according to the police report, which cited what Cason told detectives. "Then without saying a work [sic], the Hawaiian pointed a small handgun in the front right window and fired five quick shots. Cason saw Smith slump over with blood coming out of the back of the head, at which time the Hawaiian and Nelson took off running towards McDonald's."

The police report says that Nelson and Hernandez had been in The Venue nightclub along with two other Gators players, Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, twin brothers who now both play in the NFL. After the shooting, investigators interviewed Cason at Shands Hospital. Cason is described as distraught and emotional, and an officer indicated Cason said several times "it should have been him that had been shot and not Cory [sic]." Cason told investigators that a week earlier his brother had gotten into an altercation with several Florida football players.

Nelson told investigators that he was at The Venue with several friends that night. He said he later saw Aaron Hernandez and the Pouncey twins, and Hernandez told him that one of the twins had his necklace snatched by Cason. After the club closed, Nelson said, one of the twins confirmed the story to him. Nelson said he went to speak to Cason, advised that he didn't want any trouble and the two parted on good terms. He said he was not on West University Avenue, the street where the shooting took place, when Smith and Glass were shot.

Two days after the shooting, Gainesville police Lt. Keith Kameg was quoted in the Orlando Sentinel as saying neither Hernandez nor Nelson were suspects. Police have also said that they briefly interviewed Hernandez about the shooting. But, according to the police report, Hernandez declined to speak to Gainesville police nine days after the shooting. Hernandez's name is redacted from the report because he was 17 and considered a minor at the time. However, there is one reference to Hernandez in which his name is not redacted. In that section under "Aaron Hernandez," the report says detectives attempted to speak to Hernandez on Oct. 9 but that "he invoked his right to counsel."

That same day Cason, who had originally said Nelson and the Hawaiian or Hispanic male were the suspects, "rescinded his identification of Aaron Hernandez and Reggie Nelson," according to the report. While Hernandez's name was redacted in the document, it was the first time the report indicated that Cason had positively identified Hernandez as the shooter at some point.

"Outside the Lines" left messages for Cason, Glass and now retired Gainesville detective Patty Nixon, but they were not returned.

Smith said he suffers from seizures as a result of the shooting. "God is good," he said. "I'm here for a reason. I just want to know what happened and who did it so I can go forward with my life."

Seems the same people who were gushing over Bioshock Infinite are the same gushing over TLOU and that's not a great endorsement.
Opinions differ. News at 11.

I can't fucking stand to play more than 10 minutes of the Animal Crossing games. Utter fucking borefest to me. I'm sure that will get me crucified in this thread but it is what it is. Doesn't mean I begrudge others their love of it.

Fantomex

I can't fucking stand to play more than 10 minutes of the Animal Crossing games. Utter fucking borefest to me. I'm sure that will get me crucified in this thread but it is what it is. Doesn't mean I begrudge other their love of it.

Totally understandable to me. I get really bored of the Call of Duty and Halo games really quickly. I guess it just depends.

Seems the same people who were gushing over Bioshock Infinite are the same gushing over TLOU and that's not a great endorsement.
Not me. TLoU is in a league of its own.

I can't fucking stand to play more than 10 minutes of the Animal Crossing games. Utter fucking borefest to me. I'm sure that will get me crucified in this thread but it is what it is. Doesn't mean I begrudge others their love of it.
Same.

I can't fucking stand to play more than 10 minutes of the Animal Crossing games. Utter fucking borefest to me. I'm sure that will get me crucified in this thread but it is what it is. Doesn't mean I begrudge other their love of it.

There you go getting mad again.

My point is that There is a contingent that puts a great amount of weight on storytelling in a game, whereas to me its a means to an end. As a result I can't take the gushing over titles like TLOU seriously, especially since gameplay is the last thing anyone talks about when praising the game.

I get that people like games like that, and that's what's awesome about gaming. I'm interested in playing TLOU, but as I said, the same people liked Bioshock Infinite (and many people in TLOU thread invoke BI when praising it) and since its from the makers of Uncharted, another series I thought was high on spectacle and very low on good game mechanics, i'm highly skeptical.

Don't know why you brought up Animal Crossing; I haven't once mentioned that game.

Totally understandable to me. I get really bored of the Call of Duty and Halo games really quickly. I guess it just depends.
Sure. I understand the level of cynicism leveled at those games and other shooters on the market primarily because they are so damned ubiquitous. There's a definite lack of variety if you aren't the type of person that branches out. I've just not reached a level of cynicism where I lump them all together as homogenized shit.

Though I'm willing to concede a lot of them are.:)

There you go misunderstanding again.

i'm highly skeptical.
You? I can't believe it.:D

My point is that There is a contingent that puts a great amount of weight on storytelling in a game, whereas to me its a means to an end.
So there you go. The Last of Us is heavily dependent on its storytelling as an experience. Sure, the gameplay is also solid but it's not doing anything new in that regard. It's a combination of stealth, survival horror and third person shooter (as I mentioned above).

In other words, I would be shocked out of my shoes if you had much of anything positive to say about it because fundamentally it's not an experience you're actively seeking or interested in based on what I know about your tastes in gaming.

Pretty sure I understand. "Oh boy, the Nintendo fan is getting uppity about a non Nintendo game. Let me dump on Animal Crossing, that'll learn 'im".
Nope. Animal Crossing is an example I used purely because it's the big flavor game at the moment and illustrates difference in opinion.

I also happen to be a Nintendo fan so I don't see much reason to shit on them or you for being one. Take a look at the rest of my response above.

You misunderstand that I'm mad about anything.:D

My point is that There is a contingent that puts a great amount of weight on storytelling in a game, whereas to me its a means to an end. As a result I can't take the gushing over titles like TLOU seriously, especially since gameplay is the last thing anyone talks about when praising the game.

I get that people like games like that, and that's what's awesome about gaming. I'm interested in playing TLOU, but as I said, the same people liked Bioshock Infinite (and many people in TLOU thread invoke BI when praising it) and since its from the makers of Uncharted, another series I thought was high on spectacle and very low on good game mechanics, i'm highly skeptical.

Don't know why you brought up Animal Crossing; I haven't once mentioned that game.
Once again, you sound just like me before I played TLoU. I'm a gameplay first guy and I love the gameplay in TLoU for the most part, but I won't deny that the story and storytelling are what really shocked me with their quality, particularly when compared to literally every other big budget game.

I usually only have small blocks of time to play games. So often when I play a game, the story is interrupted several times, sometimes days or weeks between and I forget half of it anyway.

Once again, you sound just like me before I played TLoU. I'm a gameplay first guy and I love the gameplay in TLoU for the most part, but I won't deny that the story and storytelling are what really shocked me with their quality, particularly when compared to literally every other big budget game.
I understand where you're coming from but lets be real - the story is the most important element of The Last of Us. Bar none.

Deacon is right in saying that most of the conversation surrounding the game is about its story and if that doesn't appeal or it's not what you specifically look for out of a game it's going to be tough sledding to find enjoyment out of the experience.

Bringing it back to the Animal Crossing comparison - I understand why that would be appealing to certain types of gamers. It's focus has nothing to do with story and more on minute to minute gameplay.

That fills me with some optimism. Don't get me wrong; wyat I've seen of the game looks good. I'm just wary when people talk about graphics/story over gameplay.

This is all academic anyway as I won't be playing the game for another six months as I want to get to Xenoblade and the Witcher 2 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom