• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Man, cd never talks about anything except the Seahawk vs. Niner game.

Seahawk fans have a sad existence.

It's because Niner fans can't stop talking about how great their team is. Can't spout a bunch of BS and expect no one to call you on it! I'm not surprised that me talking about it bothers you though. Being reminded of a game like that constantly would irk me too.

cajunator

Banned
I'm getting fat. My wife made cheesecake 3 weeks ago and I ate the whole thing overnight. Since then she's made 2 more and I ate both of those too. I'm eating a big fat slice right now.

The Bucs will be calling soon.

So much salt. Aldon dominated teams all year long. He's a man among boys and he's only going to get better. Don't be mad that all the seahawks lineman are hurt or suspended.

I like you. You're adorable. *hugs

squicken

FMT likes to make everything about himself. There aren't that many Rams fans around, and that team is probably moving up while 49ers are probably going to move down this year. Cards? Who knows?

There's a couple Rams fans around regularly, and a few more who post occasionally. As the 49ers fall back this year and the Rams ascend, the numbers will change. Hard to see SEA having a bad year, no matter how much we all want that to happen

Only thing that bothers me about the NFC West rivalry is that it's on paper. Nobody outside of the division gives a shit - none of their games have had any impact on the league as a whole.

cajunator

Banned
It's the SEC of the NFL ;)

I actually do like that SEA and SF players, coaches and fans don't like each other. And I'm sure now that Payton is back, your hate for the Saints will be rekindled

He never liked my Saints, and thats fine. We are rivals after all.

Talon

It's the SEC of the NFL ;)

I actually do like that SEA and SF players, coaches and fans don't like each other. And I'm sure now that Payton is back, your hate for the Saints will be rekindled
I just don't like that the Seahawks players talk so fucking much. You had one good season; don't act like you're some sort of powerhouse.

Also, Cheatin' Pete.

My hatred for the Saints has been ever burning, Squicken. Not quite 2002-2007 Buccaneers levels but about there.

squicken

I just don't like that the Seahawks players talk so fucking much. You had one good season; don't act like you're some sort of powerhouse.

Also, Cheatin' Pete.

My hatred for the Saints has been ever burning, Squicken. Not quite 2002-2007 Buccaneers levels but about there.

Yeah I like the NFCS. Some divisions just suck for rivalries, and forever the NFCW was one of them. Pent up thirst for relevance

Sorry, the NFC West did have one important game - Seahawks/Rams. Which mediocre team is slightly less mediocre than the other? Playoff spot on the line because the division sucks.

squicken

Texans will struggle to win 9 games. Colts will walk away with the division.

Yeah I think it is the Colts division for the next decade or so, but HOU probably has a couple of years left. Though they are at that point where a couple of things could go wrong and they are suddenly a 6 win team. Don't think it will be this year, but they are more likely to be 6-10 than Indy

Texans will struggle to win 9 games. Colts will walk away with the division.
I expect them to do slightly worse than last season but I don't see how they got that much worse. Why do you think they'll struggle to win 9?

Even with Schaub Texans are only good team in the division. Colts D is terrible. Last season they played on emotion and that o line will get Luck killed
I haven't kept up with the Colts this offseason, did they not address their o-line and defensive issues at all?

MechDX

Yeah I think it is the Colts division for the next decade or so, but HOU probably has a couple of years left. Though they are at that point where a couple of things could go wrong and they are suddenly a 6 win team. Don't think it will be this year, but they are more likely to be 6-10 than Indy

Texans confirmed for success. Your opinions suck and are generally wrong especially about Houston. McNair beat your dog when you were young

Texans aren't good bro. Defense is JJ Watt. Offense is Foster. Texans could barely beat any teams worth a damn.

Yeah....you forgot a few people. Still butthurt from the ass whipping a couple years ago?

I expect them to do slightly worse than last season but I don't see how they got that much worse. Why do you think they'll struggle to win 9?

I haven't kept up with the Colts this offseason, did they not address their o-line and defensive issues at all?

Secondary is terrible, no pass rush. O line not addressed. You people are falling for that shit. Last year was a great story but it WAS all emotion Sunday Afternoon Lights.

Yeah....you forgot a few people. Still butthurt from the ass whipping a couple years ago?
Nope. Texans beat the Steelers. Steelers aren't good though.

Texans made the first step - they aren't shitting away games versus garbage competition like they did in 2010 - doesn't mean they're good. When the Texans met a marquee team in the league last year they got their shit pushed in. Only exception was the Ravens - another team on their way down, like the Steelers, magical postseason run be damned.

Secondary is terrible, no pass rush. O line not addressed. You people are falling for that shit. Last year was a great story but it WAS all emotion Sunday Afternoon Lights.
Admittedly, the Colts' season could have looked completely different if a few plays had ended up slightly differently, but at some point you've got to give Luck some credit for that and assume he'll be just as solid in the clutch going forward.

There was some emotion involved sure, but they still have the best QB in the division by a wide margin. I think they are one of the big unknowns going into this season.

squicken

Texans confirmed for success. Your opinions suck and are generally wrong especially about Houston. McNair beat your dog when you were young

Great QBs, which Luck will be this year, compensate for roster flaws on the rest of the team. That has its limits, as they were far too flawed on the OL and defense last year and benefited from the easy schedule and close wins. But the roster is better, and he will elevate the existing guys

Conversely, a guy like Schoob needs everything around him to get better, b/c he won't. And I don't think the Texans improved enough to go beyond beating the Bengals again and then losing in the second round

Only thing that bothers me about the NFC West rivalry is that it's on paper. Nobody outside of the division gives a shit - none of their games have had any impact on the league as a whole.

Lol why is the Seahawks/niners rivalry constantly talked about in the press then? Nobody outside of any division gives a shit about division rivalries then

Lol why is the Seahawks/niners rivalry constantly talked about in the press then? Nobody outside of any division gives a shit about division rivalries then

Press don't make rivalries. Teams do.

It's no secret that the NFL wants the Chickens and Niners to be a great rivalry, but it just isn't yet. It may get there soon, but so far neither team has played a game that the rest of the league needs to care about.

Both teams haven't even been good together for two seasons.

Great QBs, which Luck will be this year, compensate for roster flaws on the rest of the team. That has its limits, as they were far too flawed on the OL and defense last year and benefited from the easy schedule and close wins. But the roster is better, and he will elevate the existing guys

Conversely, a guy like Schoob needs everything around him to get better, b/c he won't. And I don't think the Texans improved enough to go beyond beating the Bengals again and then losing in the second round

True. Manning was the Colts and they constantly beat the shit out of the Texans.

Apparently Taco Bell has a double steak quesadilla now?

pdp_cantina_dbl_steak_quesadilla.png

I'll have 20!

squicken

And I'm not trolling on the Texans. They really have one of the best non-QB rosters in football. But I don't think Kubiak is even an average coach, and Schoob isn't an average QB. It's just a bad break that they are soft at those two spots. A great coach can protect a bad QB, and a great QB can protect a bad coach. For HOU, all the other players have to pick up the slack for bad coaching and bad QB play. Though this really only manifests against good teams

LZ recently had a thing on his head coaching rankings

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootba...-20-head-coaches-in-the-nfl-headed-into-2013/

And I'm not trolling on the Texans. They really have one of the best non-QB rosters in football. But I don't think Kubiak is even an average coach, and Schoob isn't an average QB. It's just a bad break that they are soft at those two spots. A great coach can protect a bad QB, and a great QB can protect a bad QB. For HOU, all the other players have to pick up the slack for bad coaching and bad QB play. Though this really only manifests against good teams
This is what it boils down to. At the beginning of last season it would have been harder to make this argument, but now we know for sure that the Texans are who we thought they were. We've seen their Shooby ceiling.

And I'm not trolling on the Texans. They really have one of the best non-QB rosters in football. But I don't think Kubiak is even an average coach, and Schoob isn't an average QB. It's just a bad break that they are soft at those two spots. A great coach can protect a bad QB, and a great QB can protect a bad coach. For HOU, all the other players have to pick up the slack for bad coaching and bad QB play. Though this really only manifests against good teams

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootba...-20-head-coaches-in-the-nfl-headed-into-2013/

I've said this before, but the Texans are now the Early Aughts Steelers - Pound the shit out of bad to medicre teams, can't hang with the elite of the NFL.

It's funny that for years that was Cowher's rep - couldn't win the big one - but now he's ascended to the ultimate coach.

Talon

I've said this before, but the Texans are now the Early Aughts Steelers - Pound the shit out of bad to medicre teams, can't hang with the elite of the NFL.

It's funny that for years that was Cowher's rep - couldn't win the big one - but now he's ascended to the ultimate coach.
I know it's silly to say, but Superbowl victories completely warp the narrative for every coach.

Coaches have a rivalry going back into college play, and the players don't like each other. Whether this pans out going forward does remain to be seen though.

That's nice, doesn't mean shit to me as i'm not a fan of either team.

Games with playoff implications, or a playoff showdown means something, and so far aside from mediocre bowl the NFC West hasn't had one game like that. If the teams continue to be good it will only be a matter of time, but as of right now all this rivalry amounts to is FMT arguing with you.

MechDX

I don't disagree with Lance but as I have said numerous times: your weird hatred for them skews your opinion. You need to them to fail to validate your weird opinion. As much as my opinion is bias do to being a die hard fan yours is just as skewed for your perverse hatred

squicken

I know it's silly to say, but Superbowl victories completely warp the narrative for every coach.

I think in 5 years it won't be considered a silly opinion at all. The more fluke SB winners we have, the quicker it will be embraced

I always thought that killed Marty Schottenheimer too. People talk about his butt puckering, but how many good coaches get bailed out by their QBs? Marty just never had a QB who could make the plays in close playoff games. He had an aging Montana, noodle arm Kosar, and one year of Brees. I heard an interview with him where he was still pissed at AJ for trading Brees. If they just would have kept him and Marty ... what could have been

I always thought that killed Marty Schottenheimer too. People talk about his butt puckering, but how many good coaches get bailed out by their QBs? Marty just never had a QB who could make the plays in close playoff games. He had an aging Montana, noodle arm Kosar, and one year of Brees. I heard an interview with him where he was still pissed at AJ for trading Brees. If they just would have kept him and Marty ... what could have been

Yeah - the QB is the crown jewel. Being able to win those difficult games is what truly separates the elite from the chaff of the NFL. It's also why i'm so hard on Peyton. Victories against adversity is what makes a truly elite QB, and for all his pedigree he has surprisingly few wins like that. It's no surprise that the one year he got one (Pats/Colts AFC Championship) is the only year the Colts won it all.

Yeah - the QB is the crown jewel. Being able to win those difficult games is what truly separates the elite from the chaff of the NFL. It's also why i'm so hard on Peyton. Victories against adversity is what makes a truly elite QB, and for all his pedigree he has surprisingly few wins like that. It's no surprise that the one year he got one (Pats/Colts AFC Championship) is the only year the Colts won it all.
Maybe one day Peyton will be as elite as Flacco.

squicken

Maybe one day Peyton will be as elite as Flacco.

Yeah if you look at when the elite QBs win their SBs, it's usually alongside a defense playing well. Peyton couldn't beat Brady early on b/c the Colts D did a worse job of stopping NE than Indy's D. The year they had their best D was the year they won. Brees got his SB when the D was forcing turnovers. Same with Rodgers. As Pitt's D has fallen off, so have their playoff prospects. Eli's two runs were really just as much about the D being dominant.

Elite QBs and good coaches get to the playoffs consistently, and that's the skill. After that, it's a magic dice roll on who is healthy and peaking late in the year, along with those one or two plays that a great player can make

edit: what is juanelway? keeps my page from loading. ad site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom