• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

...and done. Victor Cruz locked up long term. (5 year extension plus 1 year tender)

Obviously I wish this wouldn't have dragged out so long, but I'm pretty happy with the resolution. Seems like a good deal for the Giants, especially in terms of guaranteed money. Glad it's done.

No salary cap space lost or gained this year as it appears he will play for the tendered amount and contract is a 5 year extension on that.

I saw this. I have to say I was pretty surprised, I assumed the long-term deal would replace the tender, not add onto it. Makes me feel even better about the deal considering we get Cruz this year for only ~$2.8M.

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
If you use the full terms of Cruz's deal -- six year, $45.879M -- it's an annual avg. of $7.6M. ... WAY below what he originally wanted.

I saw this. I have to say I was pretty surprised, I assumed the long-term deal would replace the tender, not add onto it. Makes me feel even better about the deal considering we get Cruz this year for only ~$2.8M.
It drops that yearly average number down to 7.6/7.7 million. Can't argue with that at all. Opens the door for Hakeem to be locked up long term hopefully.

rip Ryan Davis :(
Horrible news.:( To die at 34 man. There are no words.

Stumbled across this in-depth analysis of Cameron Wake's 2012 campaign, it's a very interesting read. Check out these sacks per start numbers:

Screen-shot-2013-06-20-at-00.14.32.png

I'm particularly enjoying the breakdown of one of Wake's sacks against the Pats in which he beat Sebastien Vollmer.

Screen-shot-2013-06-19-at-22.47.49.png

Wake and Vollmer battle with each other as Wake tries to push him back into the pocket with his bull-rush. Vollmer is too strong however, so Wake begins to angle himself past Vollmer’s furthest shoulder from the line of scrimmage because he can see Tom Brady in a deep drop. Brady’s pocket presence allows him to step up into the pocket, bringing Vollmer back into a good position to block Wake. However, Wake gets back inside of Vollmer and has a clear lane to the quarterback.

In the above images it looks like Vollmer simply lost control of himself and Wake had a better sight on where the quarterback was so he could avoid him to penetrate the pocket. However, the different angles give us the full story.

Screen-shot-2013-06-19-at-22.48.54.png

The all-22 angle shows us how Wake used his arms and agility to rip back inside of Vollmer before maintaining control his direction while falling to the ground. Vollmer didn’t just get flustered because of the adjustment, a slight move from Wake turned his momentum against him and took him out of the play.

A slight, but very effective move.

This inside step and technique is something that Wake can do brilliantly at times. He used similar actions against Anthony Davis also during last season. Against the best pass protectors in the league, something that both Vollmer and Davis are, you have to have this variety to your game because you won’t be able to simply outrun or overpower them. Wake didn’t beat many top tackles, but those two stood out.

There is also a lot of discussion about Wake's pure speed.

Wake-jump.jpg

It really can’t be overstated just how fast Wake is. It’s easy to show off his speed at the snap because of the difference in depth of the players involved, but don’t be fooled into thinking that that is only where his speed becomes effective.

He repeatedly gets past defenders by simply running an arc around them to get into a position where he can then accelerate and strike towards the quarterback in the pocket. Once he has that play established, Wake is also able to watch the offensive tackle as he is moving down the field to take advantage of any missteps in their drop. If a tackle overcommits to his speed rush, then he will quickly shift back inside as he did in the play against Vollmer detailed previously.

Also, this spin move is simply glorious:

Screen-shot-2013-06-19-at-23.49.39.png

Now if only they could get that kind of production on the other side of the line... Time to step up, Dion Jordan!

bionic77

Wake was a good player here in BC and has talent even if people think the CFL is dogshit.
None of that shit matters. All that matters is what you do on the field. Kurt Warner learned how to play in the Arena League and yet he is going to the Hall of Fame. Jerry Rice went to a shit school and is the greatest wide receiver of all time. James Harrison was cut by every team in the AFC North a hundred times and couldn't even stay on the field in the lower leagues and he is a borderline HOFer and a living legend.

If you are good at football it will show up immediately. Now guessing who those players are before they step on the field is the tricky part.

KaYotiX

Banned
Wow, just read the Ryan Davis thread.......at a total loss for words. Ill be 33 next month and I couldn't imagine leaving my wife and child behind at 34.

He will be missed.

Wow, just read the Ryan Davis thread.......at a total loss for words. Ill be 33 next month and I couldn't imagine leaving my wife and child behind at 34.

He will be missed.
35 nearly into 36 here and well it's just frightening to think about. I don't personally fear dying. I fear dying young.

Fantomex

It's crazy that I just started eating healthy and a steady habit of exercising this week. Life is too short on this earth man.

bionic77

It's crazy that I just started eating healthy and a steady habit of exercising this week. Life is too short on this earth man.
There is a Judge I know who died yesterday of a heart attack while biking.

Dude was like 69 but in amazing shape that most of us would envy. He had a resting heart rate of like 50 beats a minute and would do these insane bike rides every month that were hundreds of miles (I remember him telling me how he fucking rode his bike to State College, which is at least a hundred miles from anywhere).

I just talked to this dude last week.

Crazy to think that you can die from too little exercise and too much as well. Exercise was always one of those things I assumed you could never get enough of.

KaYotiX

Banned

Dude was like 69 but in amazing shape that most of us would envy. He had a resting heart rate of like 50 beats a minute and would do these insane bike rides every month that were hundreds of miles (I remember him telling me how he fucking rode his bike to State College, which is at least a hundred miles from anywhere).

Crazy to think that you can die from too little exercise and too much as well. Exercise was always one of those things I assumed you could never get enough of.

Its weird, you hear stories of ppl eating huge breakfasts with sausage,bacon,eggs and pancakes every day till they were 95 and you hear about ppl who are huge health nuts dying at 30. Life is strange.

Changing gears ...I don't think I could be more hyped to see a movie than I am for Pacific Rim. It's a strange feeling as I usually don't get too hyped up for stuff anymore.

Fantomex

Word. Life is such a huge balancing act.

KaYotiX

Banned
Changing gears ...I don't think I could be more hyped to see a movie than I am for Pacific Rim. It's a strange feeling as I usually don't get too hyped up for stuff anymore.

Really?

I think it looks boring. I saw the trailer and thought WTF....its basically Transformers/Power Rangers + Godzilla.

but you know, opinions and stuff :)

Really?

I think it looks boring. I saw the trailer and thought WTF....its basically Transformers/Power Rangers + Godzilla.

but you know, opinions and stuff :)

There's a 14 year in old in me that trusts Del Toro to make the big robots fighting shit movie that Michael Bay is incapable of doing.

bionic77

Its weird, you hear stories of ppl eating huge breakfasts with sausage,bacon,eggs and pancakes every day till they were 95 and you hear about ppl who are huge health nuts dying at 30. Life is strange.
I am always shocked when I see someone who is in their 90s and still smokes a pack a day.

I would still rather exercise. Its not so much about prolonging your life (though not being obese is the best thing you can do to improve your life expectancy) as much as improving your quality of life.

Woke up from a nap, opened gaf and saw an increase in traffic on the gaming side.
Thought somebody announced a new game or something but yeah... ):

Cruz at the Giants facility signing his new contract today:

BOrEW89CYAA-Jl3.jpg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/08/cruzs-signing-bonus-9-5-million/

Profootballtalk has more details on the contract including a 9.5 million signing bonus:

When Giants receiver Victor Cruz signs his new contract, which will happen later today or on Tuesday, he’ll immediately earn just under $10 million.

Not bad for a guy who was undrafted, and who spent most of his rookie season injured.

The guaranteed money, reported by Jay Glazer of FOX to be $15.6 million, will become fully guaranteed on July 27, per a source with knowledge of the terms of the deal. For now, all but $1.5 million of the guaranteed money is fully guaranteed (skill, injury, cap). The remaining $1.5 million is guaranteed for only skill and injury, for now.

The new money is $43 million over five years, for an average of $8.6 million annually. Factoring in the one-year, $2.879 million restricted free agency tender, Cruz will make $45.879 million over six years, with an average of $7.64 million over the six years.

Stumbled across this in-depth analysis of Cameron Wake's 2012 campaign, it's a very interesting read. Check out these sacks per start numbers:

Screen-shot-2013-06-20-at-00.14.32.png

I'm particularly enjoying the breakdown of one of Wake's sacks against the Pats in which he beat Sebastien Vollmer.

Screen-shot-2013-06-19-at-22.47.49.png

Screen-shot-2013-06-19-at-22.48.54.png

There is also a lot of discussion about Wake's pure speed.

Wake-jump.jpg

Also, this spin move is simply glorious:

Screen-shot-2013-06-19-at-23.49.39.png

Now if only they could get that kind of production on the other side of the line... Time to step up, Dion Jordan!

Aldon smith 33.5 sacks in 16 games started.

bionic77

Every time one of The National Treasure movies is on TV, I have to watch it.
Those movies are trash.

Also Kraft knew about Aaron all along. He was probably drafted to kill Kraft's wife. That guy was such a scumbag that I am starting to come around to OJs theory and believe that Hernandez was the guy all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom