• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sp6MkmA.png
I love how true to life this is. I'm staying by myself not trusting anyone, and Gata snitching on DM. Amazing.

Striker

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eg-hardy-eric-decker-knowshon-moreno/5390341/

Some FA hits and predictions. I looked at Giants related ones:

"22. Hakeem Nicks, WR, Giants: It wasn't that long ago — two years to be exact — when he was the best wideout in the playoffs. At 26, Nicks could bring top-tier production for a second-level price tag. Best fit: Eagles

25. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Broncos: We've entered an era when most first-round tailbacks will make less on their second contracts than their first. But after a stellar 2013, Moreno is probably at the head of a class that includes veterans like Maurice Jones-Drew and Rashard Mendenhall and youngsters who may be poised for a star turn (Ben Tate, Toby Gerhart) like Moreno's. Best fit: Giants."
Nicks is fine to leave as far as I'm concerned. If Nicks goes to Philly, I'd guess they wouldn't be retaining Cooper and/or Maclin, though. I always looked at WR-needy teams like the Raiders or Colts to look into him; Carolina will as well with Gettleman in there.

As for Moreno, meh. Lots of options at RB and no need to overpay. I'd like Rashad Jennings but depends what his price is.

Lastly, soon-to-be-FA CB Terrell Thomas' on the Michael Sam story:

“The biggest thing is the media, hearing that a bunch of 18 and 20 year olds can accept him, why can’t a bunch of grown men in an NFL locker room?’’ Thomas said. “To be honest with you, the culture’s different. It is a brotherhood unlike no other.

“It changes things around the locker room. How you can act, how you can talk. Unwanted attention to your organization, unwanted questions that you have to answer. It puts a lot of pressure on certain people who don’t want to be in that position.’’

The way Thomas sees it, the team that drafts Sam will not be able to maintain a business-as-usual approach.

“Some team will have to hire a company to educate us and make sure we’re saying the right thing,’’ Thomas said. “All the extra stuff you have to go through, all the extra meetings, that’s something as veteran players we don’t want.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eg-hardy-eric-decker-knowshon-moreno/5390341/

Some FA hits and predictions. I looked at Giants related ones:

Nicks is fine to leave as far as I'm concerned. If Nicks goes to Philly, I'd guess they wouldn't be retaining Cooper and/or Maclin, though. I always looked at WR-needy teams like the Raiders or Colts to look into him; Carolina will as well with Gettleman in there.

As for Moreno, meh. Lots of options at RB and no need to overpay. I'd like Rashad Jennings but depends what his price is.

Lastly, soon-to-be-FA CB Terrell Thomas' on the Michael Sam story:

The Eagles need to desperately upgrade the WR position but not Nicks, no fucking way. They have no problems at all moving the ball between the 20s, where they have problems is in the RZ. None of their WRs can catch TDs in the RZ. They need a big physical WR who can go up and grab a pass while double covered. Nicks is most definitely not that guy.

We all had those feels. And sadly, the next two books suck

dance with dragons is amazing, don't listen to squicken.

winds of winter is going to be glorious
Feast was pretty bad. Dance was better but didn't return to the excellence of the first three. Mostly he fucked up Dany's story.

The biggest problem is that it takes him forever to write one of these and apparently he doesn't have an editor.

I half expect him to croak before he finishes (just like Jordan with WoT) and that someone else will need to wrap it all up.

Feast was pretty bad. Dance was better but didn't return to the excellence of the first three. Mostly he fucked up Dany's story.

The biggest problem is that it takes him forever to write one of these and apparently he doesn't have an editor.

I half expect him to croak before he finishes (just like Jordan with WoT) and that someone else will need to wrap it all up.

Agreed. I'd laugh if the show ended before his next books came out and when they do, everyone complains cause they're not as good as the show.

squicken

Squicken, do I have to start reading Grossi because of the firings? I don't want to.

His column today was stroking Farmer, though you have to wonder if he's just taking a victory lap for running off Lombardi. I've seen a few mentions of Haslam being sensitive to how hated Lombardi was locally and how bad the media relationship was. I think it is worth the read.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=28501

Grossi hates Manziel, and if he can turn the whole town against Lombardi, that's not a good spot for JFF to land

ShaneB

Just finishing up the third book of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Go fuck yourself George R. R. Martin!

Good to hear. Moving on to a better series. Thinking maybe Harry Potter or Bernstein Bears.

You made the right choice to move on. After I finished SoS, I was wondering how the heck could I stop there.... and then I learned that books 4 and 5 feel incomplete without the book 6 payoff, and book 6 and 7 won't come out for another 20 years or something, so I said fuck it and moved on as well. Plus reading the three books back to back Game of Throned me out at the time.

QB's need to be protected. Russell Wilson is a Super Bowl Champion because the team he got drafted to was good all around and had a stable front office.

Teams like the Browns and Jags are perpetually drafting QBs because the guys they pick immediately get dropped into a pool of shit.

Teams reach for what they hope is a franchise QB. With the rookie salary cap there's not a huge penalty in guessing wrong (the Bradford Effect). I expect Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr and Bortles to go in the top 10.

It's rough cause sometimes it works out, and then your team is brilliant, and if you don't then you're known forever as the team that screwed up their first round pick (or as I like to call it, The Al Davis Effect)

Tamanon

Banned
QB's need to be protected. Russell Wilson is a Super Bowl Champion because the team he got drafted to was good all around and had a stable front office.

Teams like the Browns and Jags are perpetually drafting QBs because the guys they pick immediately get dropped into a pool of shit.

Eh, Jags don't draft many early QBs. Leftwich ---> Garrard ---> Gabbert. Not as often as you'd think.

At this point I'd rather build up on Defense or draft a solid LT at the first round than a QB. It seems most teams that go that route tend to fare better further on than teams that go QB early (unless they have a fairly solid team intact already)

Exactly. Cleveland is already a QB graveyard, hopefully Farmer addresses the line and doesn't waste an early pick on a QB this year (unless Bridgewater is available somehow).

Grossi hates Manziel, and if he can turn the whole town against Lombardi, that's not a good spot for JFF to land
Hah he didn't turn the whole town against him, a lot of it was hate from his old stay and nfl network. I'm not the only one that dosent like Grossi here, or thinks he's a hack. Believe it or not he really doesn't have much traction here. As for JFF the majority seem to love him here.

But Tebow

People loved Tebow. When he carried that Broncos team to the playoffs after their terrible start under Orton and then put up huge numbers in a win over the Steelers people were going nuts for him. If they hadnt replaced him with Manning people would have been pissed, but Manning is so good you really couldnt argue the move.

He has worked with the same editor since book one. Martin decided to remove a huge moment from ADWD and she convinced him to remove another, thus resulting in
the Mereen and Winterfell battles being moved to TWOW
. I think ADWD is great but if it hadn't removed those events it would be right up there with the first three books.

TWOW is going to be a complete bloodbath. I'd be surprised if it doesn't top or equal ASOS. Plus Martin said years ago that a certain character's parentage would be confirmed in this book.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Slow defenses making me look like Michael Vick. I watched limp passes miraculously not get intercepted when throwing into coverage while backpedaling. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

- JFF after being drafted by the Browns, 5/8/2014

He has worked with the same editor since book one. Martin decided to remove a huge moment from ADWD and she convinced him to remove another, thus resulting in
. I think ADWD is great but if it hadn't removed those events it would be right up there with the first three books.

TWOW is going to be a complete bloodbath. I'd be surprised if it doesn't top or equal ASOS. Plus Martin said years ago that a certain character's parentage would be confirmed in this book.
Will it matter if he's dead.
I don't think he's dead.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You made the right choice to move on. After I finished SoS, I was wondering how the heck could I stop there.... and then I learned that books 4 and 5 feel incomplete without the book 6 payoff, and book 6 and 7 won't come out for another 20 years or something, so I said fuck it and moved on as well. Plus reading the three books back to back Game of Throned me out at the time.

I'm still pissed that I wasted my time with this shit. Great writer, utter shit storyteller who is far too fascinated with rape and mutilation.

Hodor's parentage mystery will finally be solved.

I'm still pissed that I wasted my time with this shit. Great writer, utter shit storyteller who is far too fascinated with rape and mutilation.
So not anything like real life then. War is ugly. A country ripped apart by war is going to have its share of abuses. I think GRRM based ASOIAF on the Hundred Years War. I think there are several valid criticisms of his work, and I voiced one above about getting someone to brutally cut this shit down to size, but if you're going to be a gritty war novel (fantasy or not) you'll need to show the grit. Otherwise it's just high fantasy.

JABEE

Interesting train ride to the university this morning. Just me, minding my own business, walk into the train and see some empty seats. I'm like 'Sweet bro, nice and quiet this early in the morning'. But of course at the next stop, suddenly a swarm of 16-18 y/o girls surround my seat (Art included to give you an impression).

Artwork:

fchQky7.png

I'm just sitting there listening to some Macklemore, but the high pitched voices are too much, I can barely hear my music. They scream and yell, talk about their grades and kissing boys and in the meanwhile I'm just sitting there, but that didn't stop them. But then it got weird, they started talking about their virginity and what kind of boys they like, with me just sitting there like:

v1B0I3E.gif

Imagine taking a train to Camden. Replace Virginity with prostitution and domestic abuse, replace boys and music with meth and anecdotes about their time in prison.

People sell hard drugs out in the open on these trains. One late night, there was this guy sitting next to me snorting line after line of cocaine without any sort of discretion.

Someone walked onto the train with a fresh black eye that was so swollen, he couldn't see out of it. He interrupted a conversation I was having with a friend by informing us of a free clinic opening up to test for HIV and Hepatitis. He said that there is no shame in getting tested, because people can get that stuff from needles and such too.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So not anything like real life then. War is ugly. A country ripped apart by war is going to have its share of abuses. I think GRRM based ASOIAF on the Hundred Years War. I think there are several valid criticisms of his work, and I voiced one above about getting someone to brutally cut this shit down to size, but if you're going to be a gritty war novel (fantasy or not) you'll need to show the grit. Otherwise it's just high fantasy.

Using this line of thinking, no shit moments can be called shitty. Oh, it's supposed to be garbage! War sucks!

Great. Now tell a fucking story somewhere in there. Shit is shitty shit is not a good story, nor does in engender great desire to continue to adventures of Everybody and Everything Is Shit.

That doesn't mean there has to be a white knight riding through an adventure unscathed and rainbows and unicorns drop from fairy clouds, but going the exact opposite way with it is equally eye rolling.

Furyous

It's really hard to draft the right first round QB. However, it's not nearly as expensive so teams can move on. The general room of thumb is stay away from QBs that were barely touched in college, played with first round talent everywhere, or lost less than six games. The perennial BCS QBs typically fail as first rounders for the most part.

We need Johnny Football in Texas. If he doesn't go to a Texas team then he needs to go to Minnesota, Oakland, or Arizona. Minnesota has the legendary Lake Minnetonka. JF is not ready for Oakland but their fan base is passionate. We need an insurance policy for CP and JF needs time to learn the pro game.

I figured out the best way to develop QBs in the NFL. ARod them until they're ready. Force them to learn the system for at least two years and earn the respect of teammates.

If any of my two favorite teams land one of these guys I'll be happy:

Teddy - He has dem 'tangibles. He's a throwback QB that plays the game right way. If the Browns draft Teddy I'm partying.

Joe from Eastern Illinois - Something about him seems like a serviceable starter.

Dude from Wyoming - He has a childlike enthusiasm for the game.

Aaron Murray - Career backup / average starter on that Alex Smith aka MANAGE MY GAME, kind sir. I see a Stafford like trajectory in the right system.

Johnny Football - He's such a fiery competitor and we need to sell jerseys. Give him prep time and he'll win some games.

AJ Mcarron - He's a third stringer / practice squad pro bowler that's a good locker room guy. Good locker room guys help morale.

Zach Mettenberger - Give him prep time, the right system, coaches, weather, environment and watch him ball on the second team. I'm thinking Roethlisberger with the right environment or John Skelton's solid few gane run with the Cards.

jakncoke

Banned
It's really hard to draft the right first round QB. However, it's not nearly as expensive so teams can move on. The general room of thumb is stay away from QBs that were barely touched in college, played with first round talent everywhere, or lost less than six games. The perennial BCS QBs typically fail as first rounders for the most part.

We need Johnny Football in Texas. If he doesn't go to a Texas team then he needs to go to Minnesota, Oakland, or Arizona. Minnesota has the legendary Lake Minnetonka. JF is not ready for Oakland but their fan base is passionate. We need an insurance policy for CP and JF needs time to learn the pro game.

I figured out the best way to develop QBs in the NFL. ARod them until they're ready. Force them to learn the system for at least two years and earn the respect of teammates.

If any of my two favorite teams land one of these guys I'll be happy:

Teddy - He has dem 'tangibles. He's a throwback QB that plays the game right way. If the Browns draft Teddy I'm partying.

Joe from Eastern Illinois - Something about him seems like a serviceable starter.

Dude from Wyoming - He has a childlike enthusiasm for the game.

Aaron Murray - Career backup / average starter on that Alex Smith aka MANAGE MY GAME, kind sir. I see a Stafford like trajectory in the right system.

Johnny Football - He's such a fiery competitor and we need to sell jerseys. Give him prep time and he'll win some games.

AJ Mcarron - He's a third stringer / practice squad pro bowler that's a good locker room guy. Good locker room guys help morale.

Zach Mettenberger - Give him prep time, the right system, coaches, weather, environment and watch him ball on the second team. I'm thinking Roethlisberger with the right environment or John Skelton's solid few gane run with the Cards.

Was this done on purpose knowing his background? Or purely coincidence

dionysus

Yaldog
Using this line of thinking, no shit moments can be called shitty. Oh, it's supposed to be garbage! War sucks!

Great. Now tell a fucking story somewhere in there. Shit is shitty shit is not a good story, nor does in engender great desire to continue to adventures of Everybody and Everything Is Shit.

That doesn't mean there has to be a white knight riding through an adventure unscathed and rainbows and unicorns drop from fairy clouds, but going the exact opposite way with it is equally eye rolling.

I agree man. ASOIAF is shit. Barely could make it through the first book and dropped that shit a quarter way through the second, and I have ready 100s of fantasy books so I can put up with a lot of shit in my favorite genre.

After reading WoT I have no patience for bloated meandering books that have no point, no matter how strong the author is in other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom