• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

GM For A Day: Detroit Lions

Problem: The Lions need a culture change.
Solution: Prioritize character and leadership in offseason player acquisitions.

This is a talented team, talented enough to win and win big. Whatever can be stop-watched, tape measured or weighed, the Lions have in spades. Whatever the Wizard of Oz was supposed to deliver, not so much.

The Lions took a step in the direction of smarter play when they hired Caldwell, who is known for his calm, easygoing demeanor and emphasis on discipline and character. He is very much a departure from the fiery Schwartz, who was good theater down to the postgame handshake. Caldwell's staff of assistants also has bent more toward teachers than motivators. But the Lions will need more than coaches laying groundwork. They will need leadership from the locker room.

To start with, they can try to talk middle linebacker London Fletcher out of retiring. The 16-year veteran no longer is the physical force he was, but Fletcher does things the right way and he commands respect. He would have an impact in ways that would not necessarily show up in statistics. Another old-timer who would be an ideal Lion is Champ Bailey, assuming the Broncos cut the cornerback. Young players on the Lions roster would have no choice but to follow his lead.

There are other veterans who would be good for the Lions' culture. Among them are quarterback Josh McCown (did you see what he did for Jay Cutler?), fullback John Kuhn (a gritty veteran could help provide an identity for the offense) and defensive end Justin Tuck (a stand-up leader who is not afraid to call out a teammate).

The desire for character should continue in the draft. The Lions don't need gifted individuals who don't enhance the locker room. They need young leaders they can build around, players like UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr, Notre Dame offensive tackle Zack Martin or Wisconsin middle linebacker Chris Borland.

SOE also has their first mock draft up. I am a fan of all three guys involved so I think it's worth a read, but just February

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...l-mock-draft-houston-texans-teddy-bridgewater

GM For A Day: Detroit Lions

SOE also has their first mock draft up. I am a fan of all three guys involved so I think it's worth a read, but just February

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...l-mock-draft-houston-texans-teddy-bridgewater

Not liking the mocks for the Steelers so far, which suggests we're in a shitty position in the draft. Everything I hear says we're too high for Dix or Ebron (though those are needs) and :jnc at those who suggest we take an OL. We loaded up on OL over the last couple of drafts. We need some high defensive picks, a TE and a WR. If we grab an OL it better be for depth.

Wes

venison crêpe
“I don’t care if they’ve had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I’m going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl.”

I'm in love.

squicken

Not liking the mocks for the Steelers so far, which suggests we're in a shitty position in the draft. Everything I hear says we're too high for Dix or Ebron (though those are needs) and :jnc at those who suggest we take an OL. We loaded up on OL over the last couple of drafts. We need some high defensive picks, a TE and a WR. If we grab an OL it better be for depth.

You always hear stuff like "it's a 9 man draft" as far as elite talents go. Not sure what it is now, but I've read before that there are 10-11 guys in this draft who would have gone first in last year's draft. Makes sense b/c Jake Matthews is a better OL prospect than Joekel, who went 2nd last year

We're going offense in the first for sure. That's where the talent is.

My hope is some of these first round projected guys like Nix drop to the second round.

You always hear stuff like "it's a 9 man draft" as far as elite talents go. Not sure what it is now, but I've read before that there are 10-11 guys in this draft who would have gone first in last year's draft. Makes sense b/c Jake Matthews is a better OL prospect than Joekel, who went 2nd last year

If we had just gone 6-10 like I predicted. Dammit, Ben!

You can access basic stuff offline, but most of your stuff is "IN THE CLOUD"

This pretty much. They're great companion devices to a desktop, or if you need something light/something different than a tablet. Plus, there's a Chrome Remote Desktop extension which is pretty great.

If you want to play games on it, well, you should know you're not getting one for that.

This pretty much. They're great companion devices to a desktop, or if you need something light/something different than a tablet. Plus, there's a Chrome Remote Desktop extension which is pretty great.

If you want to play games on it, well, you should know you're not getting one for that.

Other option is to just go with a tablet (iPad or an Android tablet) if all you need is that wireless access, streaming, etc.

I have the laptop but should have gone with a desktop. My laptop stays in my office and I even have it connected to a 32" monitor. I take the tablet everywhere.

squicken

If we had just gone 6-10 like I predicted. Dammit, Ben!

Tanier has Khalil Mack going 13, so I think he's a bit behind on things, b/c Mack is going to be the first 3-4 OLB off the board. I think he's the guy the Steelers would love, but I don't know if they'd trade up if he's there like at 7 or so

effzee

Media are known for not biting the hand that feeds them. Do you think a reporter who blew the whistle on the inner workings of a NFL locker room would ever sniff one again?

I doubt a reporter who exposes something similar to this situation is going to be out of a job or homeless anytime soon. This became national news and the reporter who breaks the story can also make a career out of it.

How do you think we even get any inklings of a troubled locker room or team cancers? Wouldn't even that news getting out get a reporter kicked out of it was as bleak and closed off?

I think we assume too much when we just automatically come up with the assumption the media knew all along but sat on this story and others like it. They probably knew Incognito was/is a dick. We all knew that. I doubt they new exactly what was going on.

But they didn't, and you were still an Eagles fan, if i'm not mistaken. Same with Vick, whom you have stated you hate on numerous occasions

I know you directed this at YH, but yeah I'll remain an Eagles fan no matter what or who is on the team. But its not like these guys weren't exposed or punished. Vick served jail time. Cooper had to pay a fine and public humiliation.

This isn't Incognito's first or 2nd offense.

My point is talk is cheap. It's easy to say he should be off the team, but if he isn't, eh!

Maybe you'll rib the_Darkest for condoning a bully or something, but otherwise? Nothing changes.

Something did change. Incognito is off the team. I doubt he gets picked up anytime soon by anyone else.

squicken

A deep threat with a possible work ethic issue? Not like you guys have had recent troubles with that sort of thing!

Evans was definitely immature in school, but after Alshon Jeffrey, I think teams will think Evans can be change too. Evans absolutely dominates little college CBs. I'm not sure the coaching at A&M was all that good as far as technique, so there's probably a lot of room for Evans to get better. Not top 10 but a lot of upside for team picking in the middle of the first round

cdyhybrid

Evans was definitely immature in school, but after Alshon Jeffrey, I think teams will think Evans can be change too. Evans absolutely dominates little college CBs. I'm not sure the coaching at A&M was all that good as far as technique, so there's probably a lot of room for Evans to get better. Not top 10 but a lot of upside for team picking in the middle of the first round

Possibly. That's where the scouts earn their pay, I guess. I'd still have reservations about drafting a guy that high when work ethic is a question and he's not an absolute freak like Clowney. I guess in my head I see Alshon as somewhat of an exception still.

effzee

I don't know about that. Plenty of people have gotten second chances for much worse. The thing is, it's got to be the right team with actual leadership in the locker room.

This would have to be his 4th or 5th chance.

He was supposed to have "turned around" in Miami and his leadership was supposed proof of a changed man.

If all the safeties are gone when the Eagles pick then I hope they get him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
From Twitter:

TJ Lang said:
Please don't stereotype NFL players for what's going on with Miami. That type of stuff is not common in other locker rooms.

I believe him based on where he plays. I think it really does depend on the culture the coach sets, and I don't think McCarthy is the type of guy to allow that to go on.

BigAT

Is anyone archiving all these swooning comments over Manziel for when he actually starts playing? Should make for a funny read.

dionysus

Yaldog
I doubt a reporter who exposes something similar to this situation is going to be out of a job or homeless anytime soon. This became national news and the reporter who breaks the story can also make a career out of it.

How do you think we even get any inklings of a troubled locker room or team cancers? Wouldn't even that news getting out get a reporter kicked out of it was as bleak and closed off?

I think we assume too much when we just automatically come up with the assumption the media knew all along but sat on this story and others like it. They probably knew Incognito was/is a dick. We all knew that. I doubt they new exactly what was going on.

I think you are a bit naive about the altruism of the media. The media definitely covers for the sport organizations as a whole and for individual superstars until the tell all books 10 years after retirement.

The media also creates a narrative that they think will get them ratings and personal fame. The choose a few stars, but normally not superstars, to go after as bad apples to gin up controversy and fake outrage. Sir Charles and MJ are a great example of this phenomenon. Both are compulsive gamblers. The media new both were compulsive gamblers. They portrayed Chuck as a degenerate gambler and never mentioned any of MJs well documented personal flaws (well documented after he retired for a while). Sure if you dug at the time you could have found out about MJs gambling and women, but ESPN sure wasn't mentioning it on Sportscenter.

Look at how the media treats PED in baseball vs. football. Literally everyone knows PED use is rampant in football, but the media only acts outraged that A-Rod dared used PEDs and lyed to them about. Where is the outrage beyond a few snide remarks on message boards about the Seahawks or Broncoes players failing tests? Where are the in depth investigations, where are they trying to get retired players to tell the truth about football? And we also know for sure that PED use is as old as baseball, just the PEDs themselves have changed. The media never ever had an issue with Mickey Mantle or Maris using PEDs, or amphetamines being put in the water in the dugout since the 1940s. But now the fake outrage about Bonds just because the greatest player of all time didn't play nice and give them good interviewers.

BigAT

SBJ/SBD ‏@sbjsbd
CB: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s compensation package tops $44M for the past fiscal year. http://goo.gl/MzNMnp $

UkZbk.gif

Mike Evans did not impress me all that much in college. His speed or burst never looked that great he was just like twice as big as everyone's. His combine numbers will be interesting.

MechDX

I think these professional ski jumpers need to try the Rosencopter technique. They will get way better distance and style points. #Sochi

--Sage Rosenfels Twitter

Accepting your legacy

squicken

Is anyone archiving all these swooning comments over Manziel for when he actually starts playing? Should make for a funny read.

I've said before he is a fit player. If he goes to a bad team expecting him to do everything, he will fail. He's not Luck. If he ends up on an awful roster like Carr, Bradford and Couch did, he will bust. If he is a Raider his career is over. That's not a shot at the Raiders. They spent two years crawling out of the Palmer trade and an awful cap situation. They need to shore up the rest of the roster before looking for their QB

Mike Evans did not impress me all that much in college. His speed or burst never looked that great he was just like twice as big as everyone's. His combine numbers will be interesting.

He's faster than people think, but he's a big guy so it takes him awhile to gain speed

Talon

Reminds me 100% of Mike Williams (USC version). Just physically overwhelmed competition.

Striker

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl2OfgKbEBs&t=02m10s

That play probably best shows his speed, but that whole Bama game gives you the best of his skill set. He dominates that secondary
I mean Plaxico wasn't a burner, either. But he used his size and ability to get off the line to beat up secondaries. Barden was another 6'6" guy, albeit from a small school, but his problem was getting jammed on the line and had issues separating afterwards. I didn't watch enough of A&M to see if Evans will have that problem.

squicken

I mean Plaxico wasn't a burner, either. But he used his size and ability to get off the line to beat up secondaries. Barden was another 6'6" guy, albeit from a small school, but his problem was getting jammed on the line and had issues separating afterwards. I didn't watch enough of A&M to see if Evans will have that problem.

Evans had trouble against LSU's bigger corners. Bama played press and he threw their smaller CBs to the side. I was down on Evans at the end of the year. If I was a team interviewing him, I'd be anxious to find out why his game declined. Manziel was hurt and couldn't throw it as well, but Evans was clearly out of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom