• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said it was acceptable.

What i'm saying is that it's pretty stupid to act surprised at it. 53 roided up athletes who play on the national stage, are paid millions of dollars and have no accountability to subordinates. What did you expect? High tea at noon and weekly sing alongs?

You'd think out of 53 people there'd be a handful of people who'd man up and stop things going this far over the line.

jakncoke

Banned
By the way, that Dallas newscaster's video essay was so on-point.

Leonard Little kills a guy driving drunk, and the league doesn't even blink.
Michael Pittman literally t-bones a vehicle in which his child in the back seat with intent to injure his baby's momma, and, yet again, the Bucs held onto him for another 3 years.
The Pearl Harbor shit goes way over the head of ribbing.

Leonard Little is the luckiest piece of shit, what was punishments from the league if any after his other DUI, not to mention fucking the courts only giving him 2 years probation

Manslaughter conviction[edit]
After leaving a birthday party in 1998, Little crashed into and killed Susan Gutweiler in St. Louis, Missouri. When tested, his blood alcohol level measured 0.19 percent, a level in excess of the statutory level of intoxication (0.08) in the state of Missouri. Little received four years probation and 1,000 hours of community service.[21]

On January 18, 2003, with charges dating back to 1999, Little was charged with communicating threats and making harassing calls according to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police department. Little's attorney, Scott Rosenblum, said the charges were filed after Little and his former girlfriend ended their relationship. Rosenblum added, "We don't think this case is going anywhere. It was groundless from the beginning".[22]

On April 24, 2004, he was arrested again for driving while intoxicated after being stopped by The Ladue Police Department for driving 78 in a 55 mile-per-hour zone on Interstate 64. At the time he had red eyes, smelled of alcohol and failed three roadside sobriety tests. He later admitted drinking alcohol to the police.[23] After being convicted of misdemeanor speeding but acquitted of DWI, Little was sentenced to two years' probation on May 6, 2005.[24]

The Sox players were drinking and being lazy, ignoring their manager. I have not seen one report that said players and coaches were tormenting foreign players.

That's not the point.

The point is we had no idea what was going on until it leaked out. Why? Because these teams don't want us to know. Ergo it's again silly to think everything that goes on is on the up and up just because wer'e ignorant to it, but that's what we do. This is Bountygate all over again.

Talon

You don't hear about it, so it must not happen. Until you do hear about it.

Remember when the Red Sox got blown up because the locker room was a mess?
I don't buy assuming that all 32 teams in the NFL have players casually calling others "Chinaman" and "Jap" because that's such a cynical view of the world. I don't want to accept that my kid is going to be called a racial slur at some point as a joke.

A lot of the stuff sounds like typical lockerroom japing - stuff that sounds horrible out of context but is purely jocular in context. I get that.

But that doesn't mean we need to accept the whole package as the status quo - especially at the highest levels of this sport.

I have mixed feelings about the hazing shit because it's practically impossible to manage from the top down. It's up to adults at the highest levels to set an example - otherwise they look like hypocrites like Goodell is facing with the mixed messages the league gives on actual, tangible issues like player safety...when they're completely endemic to the game.

Talon

Leonard Little is the luckiest piece of shit, what was punishments from the league if any after his other DUI, not to mention fucking the courts only giving him 2 years probation
He played two or three days after that second DUI.

I mean, for fucks sake, Babineaux got caught with a DUI and still played a few days after this season.

MikeGarafolo Mike Garafolo
Clear from reading the report that Dolphins OL coach Jim Turner repeatedly tried playing dumb in interviews with Wells. Didn't work.
Only spot Wells criticizes Martin I've seen is when he says "no question the better course of action" would've been to report abuse in-house
Per Wells report, Incognito fined $50k for golf club harassment incident but was not fined for an alleged altercation w/ bouncer last June.
One player referred to Incognito as "a disease" who "divides a locker room." Yet he was voted captain. Alrighty.

There is locker room banter and then there is the shit that is being revealed in this report. Some of it is clearly way over the line and brushing it off with "It's a locker room" or "This happens at the 31 other NFL teams" doesn't change the fact that this is unacceptable.

Funny word that 'unacceptable'. How exactly are you going to not accept it?

Never live in the state of Mississippi.

This argument will go nowhere and you know it. You think you're being realistic or practical. I think you're overly cynical.

The irony of my argument is that it's supposed to go nowhere, because that's exactly what's going to happen here.

Token things will be said, Goodell will make a statement, start some initiative against bullying. Some no name people will be fired or released, then we'll all forget about this until the next NFL scandal.

Call it cynical if you must.

The Pearl Harbor shit goes way over the head of ribbing.
Hadn't read that previously.

Most of what was previously leaked/posted seemed like un-PC joking but if they were using slurs publicly and making people feel uncomfortable and making for a tense work environment, that's shitty.

Tom Penny

Hadn't read that previously.

Most of what was previously leaked/posted seemed like un-PC joking but if they were using slurs publicly and making people feel uncomfortable and making for a tense work environment, that's shitty.

It's normal mang. All professional sports follow the snitch G Code. The only reason this has leaked is because of one player who didn't follow principles. This is all very commonplace. Gata wouldn't last in professional sports.

Talon

The irony of my argument is that it's supposed to go nowhere, because that's exactly what's going to happen here.

Token things will be said, Goodell will make a statement, start some initiative against bullying. Some no name people will be fired or released, then we'll all forget about this until the next NFL scandal.

Call it cynical if you must.
See, this is our disconnect. I know that in all likelihood that this will go nowhere, but I don't understand the sentiment of "meh, who cares" to shit like this.

It's shitty. Straight-up, it's shitty behavior. That's a completely separate sentiment from thinking that the league's response will be half-hearted.

A similar sentiment would be - Chicago as a city is thriving but at the immense cost of shoving all the poor out further and further to the west and south and isolating them from basic resources like grocery stores. It's undeniably shitty, and we feel a bit powerless to change the momentum. That doesn't mean we can't care at all.

jakncoke

Banned
It's normal mang. All professional sports follow the snitch G Code. The only reason this has leaked is because of one player who didn't follow principles. This is all very commonplace. Gata wouldn't last in professional sports.

Thats because gata would be in the laundry room cleaning jock straps

See, this is our disconnect. I know that in all likelihood that this will go nowhere, but I don't understand the sentiment of "meh, who cares" to shit like this.

It's shitty. Straight-up it's shitty behavior. That's a completely separate sentiment from thinking that the league's response will be half-hearted.

It is straight up shitty and I acknowledge that. Do you need to hear that from me to know that it's shitty?

Similarly, what are you going to do about it? Are you going to stop watching football? The internet has an endemic problem at being outraged a whole lot while not actually doing anything about it. I haven't stepped in the OT thread about this, but I can tell you there are going to be a lot of 'outraged' people who don't watch football, and generally won't do anything besides be outraged on a message board. It's pointless.

The media is the same. "Oh, this is disgusting behavior" you will read. How did they not know about it? They know everything there is to know about the NFL, but were blind to this? How can there be a change when the people who saw it first hand don't cop to anything until something is exposed outside of them?

Coaches will vow to change. Why didn't they before this was outed? It's reprehensible now, but nobody gave a shit when the public didn't know. I could go on.

He was implying this was a publicity stunt, which to me seems incredibly unfair to Sam.
What was his motivation for doing that do you think?

Anyway, the whole situation has been insanely stupid. Either you think Sam is being discriminated against and persecuted or you're suspected of being a bigot.

Talon

Anyway, the whole situation has been insanely stupid. Either you think Sam is being discriminated against and persecuted or you're suspected of being a bigot.
Or you can see more than 2 shades of color like most human beings.
It is straight up shitty and I acknowledge that. Do you need to hear that from me to know that it's shitty?

Similarly, what are you going to do about it? Are you going to stop watching football? The internet has an endemic problem at being outraged a whole lot while not actually doing anything about it. I haven't stepped in the OT thread about this, but I can tell you there are going to be a lot of 'outraged' people who don't watch football, and generally won't do anything besides be outraged on a message board. It's pointless.

The media is the same. "Oh, this is disgusting behavior" you will read. How did they not know about it? They know everything there is to know about the NFL, but were blind to this? How can there be a change when the people who saw it first hand don't cop to anything until something is exposed outside of them?
Useless outrage is just that - useless. The bitching about Chicago in particular comes from annoyance at City Hall acting like it gives a shit about the violence on the south side when it clearly doesn't care as long as it stays south of the Loop.

I was in and out of the Celt's locker room for a summer, and I never saw anything close to this type of behavior. Neither did Mannix. In fact, everyone was super polite - even Perk.

Now, obviously Football locker rooms are 5 times larger with staffs that are about 10 times larger, plus teams will be on their best behavior in front of media.

JCizzle

Harbs comes off looking good in the report as expected. Martin says minor ribbing at Stanford, but felt comfortable. Harbs says he has no doubt he's a NFL caliber player. Get me dat OL depth on the cheap!!!

JCizzle

Or you can see more than 2 shades of color like most human beings.

Useless outrage is just that - useless. The bitching about Chicago in particular comes from annoyance at City Hall acting like it gives a shit about the violence on the south side when it clearly doesn't care as long as it stays south of the Loop.

I was in and out of the Celt's locker room for a summer, and I never saw anything close to this type of behavior. Neither did Mannix. In fact, everyone was super polite - even Perk.

Now, obviously Football locker rooms are 5 times larger with staffs that are about 10 times larger, plus teams will be on their best behavior in front of media.

KG did make Baby cry on the bench at one point lol.

But on a serious note he did come off as very professional when not trolling on the court.

cdyhybrid

He said it was because it was eventually going to leak as an increasing number of people found out, so he wanted to get out in front of the story and own the narrative.

Harbs comes off looking good in the report as expected. Martin says minor ribbing at Stanford, but felt comfortable. Harbs says he has no doubt he's a NFL caliber player. Get me dat OL depth on the cheap!!!
Clearly Harbs is lying. This happens exactly like this in every locker room.

If you spent more time in here, instead of watching your going no where knicks you'd know ;)
I like spending time talking about a sport that actually is going on, not exchanging food receipes and playing "who's the snitch".
He'll be moving on to the going nowhere Mets soon enough!
aw you still mad Giants gave the Mets Wheeler for nothing? When Lincecum is sucking this year and Wheeler's putting the wraps on a 17 win campaign you'll disappear from the MLB thread like a Miami Heat fan after the Mavs beat the Heat in the Finals.

Fox318

John Fucking Manning

ie6izgk.jpg

He looks good in Jets green.

squicken

KG did make Baby cry on the bench at one point lol.

But on a serious note he did come off as very professional when not trolling on the court.

Only thing that I am surprised by and actually bothers me is the treatment of the equipment guy. He truly was powerless and had to endure some pretty nasty crap. Martin had options, that guy really didn't

Pouncey seems like as big a turd and Incognito but that was kind of suspected given the FBI thinks he is running guns for drug dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom