• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

CfIa9gJ.jpg

squicken

DK, watched the Week 17 game vs CLE. Thoughts on Jones:

-Seemed to have good instincts. Recognizes plays quickly and attacks confidently

-Seemed like a high effort guy. Didn't see him loafing around. Contrast that with Josh Gordon who I am 99% certain played that game stoned and/or hungover

-Jones doesn't seem to have any sort of special explosiveness or speed. I know it is Joe Thomas, but I just don't see a guy who will ever be a sack guy other than getting schemed pressure or with a favorable matchup

-Even on the plays he diagnosed the play and reacted aggressively, he just wasn't fast. He looks like he should be quicker than he plays given his frame. Maybe that will change but I don't know. I just don't see a guy with the explosiveness to be a game changer

Same way everyone links Bortles to O Brien because of the UCF connection

It really does seem like that. The guy from The Big Lead has been saying all along that Bortles is the new Nassib. In that Baylor game, he looked undraftable in the first half and like Big Ben in the second half. His accuracy, to me, is pretty touch and go

Smokescreens

Let the Games Begin

B/R Warning--Former Scouting Director Greg Gabriel

Really interesting if sort of known on not to trust 99% of what is out there

Like when everyone thought Pete Carroll would take Taylor Mays and then they grabbed Earl Thomas. Or people thinking Harbaugh would stock up on Stanford guys.

Equating college coaches who jumped to the pros with their players who are available is like the laziest evaluation.

Narag

‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m
The Broncos will be releasing CB Champ Bailey, according to an NFL source. He was set to earn $9M this season with a cap # of $10M

squicken

wow end of an era. One of the biggest fleecings ever was Portis for Champ and a pick

Like when everyone thought Pete Carroll would take Taylor Mays and then they grabbed Earl Thomas. Or people thinking Harbaugh would stock up on Stanford guys.

Equating college coaches who jumped to the pros with their players who are available is like the laziest evaluation.

haha I forgot about Taylor Mays. I remember the media portraying that as like the ultimate betrayal by Pete.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
bilde

Restore the Roar 2014.

:jnc @ Kaep wanting 18 Million a year. Technically he is due it because of going to a Superbowl and NFC Final in the past two years but Shaun "The Dragon" Hill, our backup QB, could've won those games IMO. Harbs is leaving a sinking ship and thats why the 49ers are already scouting QBs for this draft. One less team for the Lions to worry about in the NFC. Love ya NinersGAF but good luck with Kaep.

DK, watched the Week 17 game vs CLE. Thoughts on Jones:

-Seemed to have good instincts. Recognizes plays quickly and attacks confidently

-Seemed like a high effort guy. Didn't see him loafing around. Contrast that with Josh Gordon who I am 99% certain played that game stoned and/or hungover

-Jones doesn't seem to have any sort of special explosiveness or speed. I know it is Joe Thomas, but I just don't see a guy who will ever be a sack guy other than getting schemed pressure or with a favorable matchup

-Even on the plays he diagnosed the play and reacted aggressively, he just wasn't fast. He looks like he should be quicker than he plays given his frame. Maybe that will change but I don't know. I just don't see a guy with the explosiveness to be a game changer

I'm really hoping you're wrong but I see it too. Even his speed rush is more of a dance to the QB. Maybe, hopefully, he's thinking too much but I can't say i've seen him make a move this season that was lightning quick.

squicken

I'm really hoping you're wrong but I see it too. Even his speed rush is more of a dance to the QB. Maybe, hopefully, he's thinking too much but I can't say i've seen him make a move this season that was lightning quick.

I thought on some of his rushes he was kind of engaging the blocker but not trying to get there. More shadowing the back or TE staying in.

But when he did try to rush he didn't really seem to have any moves. Just ran right into the blocker, or on the few occasions he tried to go wide, was easily rode out by the tackle. Thomas is very good so it's hard to fault him there, but he tried to bull rush the RT a couple of times and got nowhere

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
who would you rather pay $18 mil a year, stafford or kaep?

Stafford is a NFL Quarterback. A 26 year old, with the strongest arm in the league, and is a pocket QB like Brees, Brady or Manning. He's the rare QB you can build your team around.

Kaep is a College Quarterback. He benefited from the read option fad that happened for about a season and a half, and can scramble for a first down here and there, but he is not an NFL QB.

Anyone who knows the difference between high school/college football and the NFL would choose Stafford without hesitation over Kaepernick.

When I played ball as a defensive end the read option was so easy to stop if guys just did there assignments. Thats why it boggles my mind sometimes when I see it work in the NFL.

The mobile QB has two options: either keep the football and run or dish it to his running back. As a defensive end I loved those plays because whether or not the QB kept the ball or not I would get to knock him the fuck out.

Defensive Ends assignment on the read option is the QB and either a LB or safety is supposed to watch the tailback.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
kaep has made it to the super bowl

stafford has made it to taco bell 17 times in one week

who do you pay?

Stafford on that current 49ers team would be a dynasty.

Don't forget Matthew Stafford was drafted #1 overall, at the age of 21, the year after the worst team in NFL history finished 0-16.

squicken

I'd rather have Stafford, but neither are worth $18m. The whole QB salary thing is fear based. Coaches/GMs end up in a Ponder/Gabbert situation and they get fired, so they'll cling to any QB that is good enough, regardless of cost

Narag

kaep has made it to the super bowl

stafford has made it to taco bell 17 times in one week

who do you pay?

kaep made it to the super bowl once. you can trust matthew stafford to make it to taco bell week in and week out. i know it's hard to put a price on that consistency but you have to

Stafford obviously

All of his money will go to hard working Americans and directly into the US economy.

Kaep will only use it to fund his awful tattoo fetish and go directly into the arms of his miscreant tattoo artists.

rando14

kaep made it to the super bowl once. you can trust matthew stafford to make it to taco bell week in and week out. i know it's hard to put a price on that consistency but you have to

I shudder to think then what josh freeman should be making

Stafford obviously

All of his money will go to hard working Americans and directly into the US economy.

Kaep will only use it to fund his awful tattoo fetish and go directly into the arms of his miscreant tattoo artists.

image.php

squicken

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Fully expect Matt Cassel to hit the open market March 11. He's still been talking to MIN but nothing close. I anticipate he lands in Houston

I don't think this one is smoke

bionic77

Stafford on that current 49ers team would be a dynasty.

Don't forget Matthew Stafford was drafted #1 overall, at the age of 21, the year after the worst team in NFL history finished 0-16.
He lost to the Steelers and got shut out in the 2nd half of a game they had to win against the worst defense in the league.

Stafford is a fat fraud.

Lol I would take kap 8 days a week. Kap has proven he can win games without hall of game receivers. What has stafford ever done in this league? You can play the what if game but we live in reality and you are what you are. Stafford is an overpaid qb with 0 playoff wins. He is likely the most overpaid player in the league

I thought on some of his rushes he was kind of engaging the blocker but not trying to get there. More shadowing the back or TE staying in.

But when he did try to rush he didn't really seem to have any moves. Just ran right into the blocker, or on the few occasions he tried to go wide, was easily rode out by the tackle. Thomas is very good so it's hard to fault him there, but he tried to bull rush the RT a couple of times and got nowhere

Dude has no moves. At the beginning of the season he didn't even have that bullrush - everything was a speed rush that was easily pushed wide by the tackle. Steelers Nation hates this dude - popular opinion is he's too slow and weak. weak is bullshit - he had one less rep than Clowney at his pro day, but that speed..

Steelers took Joey Porter on as an assistant, almost primarily to train Jarvis. He has the smarts and despite no pass rush he is constantly near the ball, but he's just so raw.

I'd rather have Stafford, but neither are worth $18m. The whole QB salary thing is fear based. Coaches/GMs end up in a Ponder/Gabbert situation and they get fired, so they'll cling to any QB that is good enough, regardless of cost

I'd rather have a guy who follows orders than a guy who thinks he can't be taught. Lions should be a playoff team, the fact that they weren't was a Schwartz/Stafford problem.

squicken

Think he purposely wanted out in Minnesota because of O'Brien?

He had 1 year at $3.7m option there. He may make less per year, but he'll end up with more guaranteed. He's easily the best FA QB on the market

My guess is he will want a chance to start, and maybe that will be a factor? I think wherever he goes, it really casts doubt on that team drafting a QB in Rd1

ShaneB

I'll give Kaep props for that leaping super TD throw in the NFCC game. Shit was bonkers. If Jay Cutler gets that money, Kaep deserves it.

MechDX

He had 1 year at $3.7m option there. He may make less per year, but he'll end up with more guaranteed. He's easily the best FA QB on the market

My guess is he will want a chance to start, and maybe that will be a factor? I think wherever he goes, it really casts doubt on that team drafting a QB in Rd1

Really will show the Texans hand if they sign him. A negative about moving free agency before the draft

MechDX

Do you and the other fans still like Case? Would you want him in the mix if they don't sign Cassell as far as a one year starter?

Case hype is pretty much gone. You get a few who get in tizzy fits with Manzealots on Twitter and sports talk but not much. he was a great story last year but he couldn't read a defense for shit.

I think he will get a legit shot. I can see Cassell, Yates, Keenum and whoever they draft in later rounds getting a shot.

Spinluck

spin why's your boy using a cell phone from the last century!!

leave him alone! he doesn't live the sophisticated life style that would require today's technology. and doesn't have time for social media and parties, yuck! a day in the life of luck:

1. wake up

2. throw football

3. hunt for food with bare hands (or a club with sharp rocks at the tip)

4. fuck mate

5. sleep (or hibernate till next season)

interestingly enough, i think i read somewhere that his girlfriend might've been or was going to be an intern at NASA. it is true what they say, opposites attract!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom