• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

NFL's Best Playoff Quarterbacks

Best 3rd down QB?

BfqBZ0aCIAAJLqe.jpg

Luck isn't even on the list. And is 1-2.

Manning Era 2.0 confirmed :'(

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1m
My guess is that Larry Fitzgerald's restructuring created roughly $8 million in cap space. I'll crunch the numbers after

Look at you with that avatar, I like it!

Did you ever post that image of her ass?

#thirsty
#don'tgiveafuck
#shirtless
#bitchkitty

Yeah he posted them a few pages back (lot of pages back). She had nice...tortilla chips.

Colasante

Guess the talk of cutting or trading him is done

Trading for Larry Fitzgerald was always a pipe team since his new deal. I don't know how any team can look at Seattle's success, largely without Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice, and think Larry Fitzgerald and his $18 million cap hit is going to help them win a Super Bowl.

Trading for Larry Fitzgerald was always a pipe team since his new deal. I don't know how any team can look at Seattle's success, largely without Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice, and think Larry Fitzgerald and his $18 million cap hit is going to help them win a Super Bowl.

If you team has plenty of cap space, and no physical WRs along with a weak defense it makes sense. No way to build a D like Seattle has so the best hope is to build a crazy offense and hope Seattle stumbles next year.

It was my brother's kitty that passed away recently :(

Thank you though.

Oh that sucks :( I have 4 myself and lost one last year to kitty aids :(

Look at you with that avatar, I like it!

Did you ever post that image of her ass?

#thirsty
#don'tgiveafuck
#shirtless
#bitchkitty

lol yes I posted some but they were the Friday before the Superbowl so you'll have to dig into the thread to find them. It was Friday night

squicken

If you team has plenty of cap space, and no physical WRs along with a weak defense it makes sense. No way to build a D like Seattle has so the best hope is to build a crazy offense and hope Seattle stumbles next year.

Yep. SF and CAR have great front 7s and were right there with SEA. I mean there were literally 5 or 6 plays this year that could have swung home field, and it is SF that are the SB champs. Maybe CAR but I think they needed a year of playoff seasoning

Guess the talk of cutting or trading him is done
Curious as to the nature of the restructure. Did he take a pay cut? Not likely.

If he didn't, its amusing to read a players selling a "restructured" contract as doing a big favor for the organization. As if they are making any sacrifices in the equation. They get a large portion of their (already due) money dumped into their lap upfront and the team is still on the hook for it cap wise in later years.

Yep. SF and CAR have great front 7s and were right there with SEA. I mean there were literally 5 or 6 plays this year that could have swung home field, and it is SF that are the SB champs. Maybe CAR but I think they needed a year of playoff seasoning

Don't remind me. We have been so close the last three years.

MechDX

Probably means nothing as the agent has like 40 clients. But thought it was worth mentioning .

@PatDStat It is what it is. Will note that Rick Smith does have a positive, get things done relationship with McGuire.
--Twitter

MvGuire is Teddys new agent

Reaching, but funny coincidence

Richie Incognito ‏@68INCOGNITO 22m
--- I support @J_Martin71 100% in his return to football in 2014 ----
@NFL @NFLPA @DeSmithNFLPA @nflcommish

shyamalantwist.jpg

squicken

Curious as to the nature of the restructure. Did he take a pay cut? Not likely.

If he didn't, its amusing to read a players selling a "restructured" contract as doing a big favor for the organization. As if they are making any sacrifices in the equation. They get a large portion of their (already due) money dumped into their lap upfront and the team is still on the hook for it cap wise in later years.

It can change their leverage sometimes, but in this case it just makes his future cap numbers incredible. It's weird b/c they are an old team. SF and AZ are the two oldest teams in the league, and SEA and STL the two youngest. NFCW sucks for STL but at least they can outlast SF's window, maybe. AZ seems screwed

http://www.footballperspective.com/2013-av-adjusted-team-age/

Tom Penny

He's not remotely worth his salary and that would have been a horrific contract in a trade unless there was ways to work the cap.

It can change their leverage sometimes, but in this case it just makes his future cap numbers incredible. It's weird b/c they are an old team. SF and AZ are the two oldest teams in the league, and SEA and STL the two youngest. NFCW sucks for STL but at least they can outlast SF's window, maybe. AZ seems screwed

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting at. His salary was in the 13 million range with an 18 million cap hit. They convert 8 million of that and they're choosing to either take a massive hit in 2015 (his hit will be over 20 million) or they're spreading that out over a number of years which still locks them into major dead money if they want to cut him.

To my point, it's disingenuous as fuck to act as though you're doing the organization a favor here.

squicken

To my point, it's disingenuous as fuck to act as though you're doing the organization a favor, here.

http://overthecap.com/initial-reaction-larry-fitzgeralds-restructured-contract/

Guy at OTC did the numbers on what it likely means, and Fitz really has cleaned up like no other as far multiple contract extensions. He and Suh did so well b/c their teams' couldn't manage the caps well

And of course I agree about it being disingenuous. I haven't been a Fitz fan for a few years, so I think this is mistake by AZ

http://overthecap.com/initial-reaction-larry-fitzgeralds-restructured-contract/

Guy at OTC did the numbers on what it likely means, and Fitz really has cleaned up like no other as far multiple contract extensions. He and Suh did so well b/c their teams' couldn't manage the caps well

And of course I agree about it being disingenuous. I haven't been a Fitz fan for a few years, so I think this is mistake by AZ
Yeah that's based on if they convert the entire salary over and pay him vet minimum which I doubt that they did. They likely lobbed off 8 million and added 4 to each of the next two years. Either way the projections aren't that far off. He's basically uncuttable without a massive hit in dead money and very little savings until at least 2017.

Thanks for helping out, Larry! You so generous.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle

per http://Overthecap.com (must read) Seahawks have an Adjusted Cap in 2014 of $129.145M- NFL cap is $126.3M

basically you take the League Cap and add your Rollover to get your Adjusted Cap

the rollover edge that Seattle created by rolling over 20M in 2011 is now gone

There are 5 teams that have CRAZY Cap ammo to attack 2014 should they choose- I will list their Adjusted Caps!...

Adjusted Cap: Cleveland $150.8M (WOW!), Jax $145.9, MIA $144.3, BUF $144.1, PHI $143.4M

with the avg team at $129M, those are significant advantages (10-15M more than median team)

now, Seattle has the 9th smallest cap space (2014 Adj Cap less Scheduled Spent) at 2.2M- so cuts are coming

The Median Cap space is around $9M for 2014

There are 11 teams with over $20M in cap space!

OAK $61M, JAX $49M, CLE $45M, IND $34M, MIA $32M, GB $28M, WAS $24M, CIN $23M, MIN $23M, PHI $20M, NYJ $20M...wow

squicken

A lot of those team are rolling over money to put towards guys on the books, or w/CLE, front loading some of the FAs they want to keep. But OAK and JAX have really no good players worth worrying about extending or re-signing. Thing they have to worry about is signing guys like Aaron Ross who won't play hard and just are looking for a payday

bionic77

Just heard Kap on BS report.

Dude sounds dumb as shit. Meat heads like that should not be allowed to give an interview without at least 3 handlers present. Harbs is losing his touch.

And I don't know how Simmons did not bring up Kaps TD pass (I think to Boldin). That play was Jeff George worthy.

A lot of those team are rolling over money to put towards guys on the books, or w/CLE, front loading some of the FAs they want to keep. But OAK and JAX have really no good players worth worrying about extending or re-signing. Thing they have to worry about is signing guys like Aaron Ross who won't play hard and just are looking for a payday

We have a few guys to resign. Hulk being at the top, and Houston is a good power run stopping end, just not a great pass rusher. Also have Sims and Walker. Probably Porter who was good in the slot, maybe Jenkins for depth and Jennings played well at RB for us. Reggie isn't gonna overpay any of them though, he'll let them walk if he has to.

JCizzle

He was trash anyways not sure why anyone would want him.

Harbs will return him to his Stanford form, can never use enough OL depth!

Just heard Kap on BS report.

Dude sounds dumb as shit. Meat heads like that should not be allowed to give an interview without at least 3 handlers present. Harbs is losing his touch.

And I don't know how Simmons did not bring up Kaps TD pass (I think to Boldin). That play was Jeff George worthy.

God damn it, i'll have to listen to see for myself.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Coldplay619 (Bengals) - The main reason chuckddd grew his hair long while in the joint. Has an infatuation with short haired, ginger qbs.

JABEE (Eagles) - Incited a riot between snitching Patriots fans. A hero, wrongly imprisoned.

TheBatman (Browns) - The lonliest man in Xiashank. Everyone is afraid he'll go full Arkham Asylum.

Futurevoid (Giants) - Skipped a Super Bowl to be with his wife during child berth. A bad seed if there's ever been one.

Greg (Packers) - Permanently ankle cuffed to prevent him from jumping over the prison walls. 12 time defending prison ping pong champion.

exarkun

Blaming Fitz for his FO incompetence is sad. Its not his fault they gave him that much money. Would you just give back 8 MILLION dollars to an organization? Restructuring means what it means, the same money is being used, just in a different manner or pay schedule.

Dont hate the player, hate the dumbass GM! AZ actually had a niiiice defense last season, so if they just add a little they definitely will be a team no one wants in the first round next year.

rando14

Coldplay619 (Bengals) - The main reason chuckddd grew his hair long while in the joint. Has an infatuation with short haired, ginger qbs.

JABEE (Eagles) - Incited a riot between snitching Patriots fans. A hero, wrongly imprisoned.

TheBatman (Browns) - The lonliest man in Xiashank. Everyone is afraid he'll go full Arkham Asylum.

Futurevoid (Giants) - Skipped a Super Bowl to be with his wife during child berth. A bad seed if there's ever been one.

Greg (Packers) - Permanently ankle cuffed to prevent him from jumping over the prison walls. 12 time defending prison ping pong champion.

:jnc

Blaming Fitz for his FO incompetence is sad. Its not his fault they gave him that much money. Would you just give back 8 MILLION dollars to an organization? Restructuring means what it means, the same money is being used, just in a different manner or pay schedule.

Dont hate the player, hate the dumbass GM! AZ actually had a niiiice defense last season, so if they just add a little they definitely will be a team no one wants in the first round next year.

I don't think anyone's blaming him.

His first responsibility should always be himself and his family.

bionic77

I need to go to this prison. They deserve a better class of ping pong champion. Some of these bastards could probably use some legal advice too.

Nope, what you and the author of the article don't understand are which players are important to the team and are our true core. All our best players outside of Fitz are young. Well, Abraham is an exception but we'll draft his replacement within the next two seasons I expect. Karlos played fantastic but Washington is better and we have Minter in the wings when he goes. Palmer is on the last year of his contract with a team optional for next year and was never our long term answer so how exactly are we screwed? The Chickens just proved a mediocre QB is good enough if you have an elite D which we do. I pity any team that sleeps on us this year.

As for Fitz's contract, I'm very interested to see how it's ballooned out. Keim was adamant about completely having the cap in order by 2015 and Fitz is the only contract that's a particular issue. I know how restructures generally work but I also have faith in Keim, I'm anxious for the details to come out. As it was, we'd take a 10 mil dead money hit if we cut him now but it would be cake to cut him after this season. With the restructuring, this will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom