• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

In that article you linked, it had this link for statistical analysis of playoff performance by QBs (excludes this weekend's SB). Jake Delhomme ranked higher than Joe Flacco. Surprised to see Favre at #5, I thought he would appear later in the list.

http://www.footballperspective.com/the-best-playoff-quarterbacks-in-the-super-bowl-era/

But it's hard to argue against Flacco if I just get one choice for the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl is the only game I need him for

Spinluck

I think it was pretty obvious that Denver's piss easy schedule hurt them against Seattle.

The entire team was afraid of getting popped, and Manning felt real and ghost pressure all game. He missed a WIDE OPEN Julius Thomas in the middle on 4th & 2 and almost threw another taint instead. I think he had decent protection on that play too.

Fox was god awful, and doesn't deserve that HC job next year. He'll keep though cause 15-4 amarite!!!??? Even though he gave up with almost 2 Quarters of Football left!!
The team just collectively shat the bed, Manning's shit performance didn't help though.

I'm not defending PeyPey, but with the way the Hawks were paying. Idk if a QB without an once of mobility even gives you a decent shot at winning that game. He was a sitting duck who didn't know where to go with the ball except underneath. Which is exactly what the defense wants, and PeyPey should know this by now cause teams do this to him in the playoffs routinely! That line was completely outmatched, and Avril made Franklin look like a Colts/Packers/Steelers/Dolphin O-linemen combined.

Peyton also seems to run pretty low risk/predictable plays when the stakes are high and he's pressured a lot. When they ran like 3 screens in a row, I felt like I was watching an OC or Coach building confidence for a young QB :-(. It was tough. I still think he's one of the best though.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Regardless of the Superbowl outcome from Sunday, we'll still look at Peyton as one of the Top 5 greatest, and probably one of the top 3 most revolutionary QBs of all time. He also has a Superbowl ring, so even if he's 1 out 3 he still has a ring and thats all that matters in the end.

And by revolutionary I mean there was never a QB before him who controlled the offense from the line of scrimmage like him before. He revolutionized the game in that sense. The way he would audible out of plays based on his reads of a defense was never done before on the scale that he did it. He was essentially the offensive coordinator on every team he played for after his first three seasons, including when he was on the field. I think only Brady and Brees have had that level of control over there offense on the field and they both have brilliant offensive minds at HC. Peyton never did really, except the great Jim Caldwell.

Sure Big Ben may have one more ring than Manning, but no way in hell any decent football analyst would rank Big Ben above Peyton on a GOAT list. He'd be in my Top 3 list.

Spinluck

I think only Brady and Brees have had that level of control over there offense on the field and they both have brilliant offensive minds at HC. Peyton never did really, except the great Jim Caldwell.

I was gonna make a joke here.

But I seriously think I'd take Jim Caldwell over Foxball.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dat bed, son.

Looks like you didn't read through the Part 4 update. You may wake up to your own surprise. ;)

J4rkfoJ.jpg

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Btw I got my xbone bros. only bought killer instinct and I love it. I know gata and a few others have it so add me! Gt = frenchmov

How are you liking it so far? I'm still on the fence but I played my buddies XOne for a little and the Kinect ability to just say "Xbox On" was pretty cool. Probably not $100 cool, but aspects like that and Skype on Xbox One with XBL buddies seems pretty cool.

I'm waiting to see what bundles/SKUs+games Sony and MS have for the fall before making my decision but I haven't been this conflicted on a console purchase since N64/PS1/Saturn way back in the day.

I could care less about 720 v. 1080, the controller aspect is more important to me and the Xbone wins in that regard. But Sonys first party studios have been far more consistent the past decade or so.

Plus I think MS has more in store for special contracts/features with the NFL which will be huge with me.

How are you liking it so far? I'm still on the fence but I played my buddies XOne for a little and the Kinect ability to just say "Xbox On" was pretty cool. Probably not $100 cool, but aspects like that and Skype on Xbox One with XBL buddies seems pretty cool.

I'm waiting to see what bundles/SKUs+games Sony and MS have for the fall before making my decision but I haven't been this conflicted on a console purchase since N64/PS1/Saturn way back in the day.

I could care less about 720 v. 1080, the controller aspect is more important to me and the Xbone wins in that regard. But Sonys first party studios have been far more consistent the past decade or so.

Plus I think MS has more in store for special contracts/features with the NFL which will be huge with me.

Kinect is disabled for me. It's just easier for me to push a giant X button on the controller than say Xbox on! And sound like a giant doucher in front of my wife.

As for the xbone it's nice. Easy setup and I'm getting used to the dashboard. I prefer psn on ps4 to Xbl at this point but probably because I'm more familiar.

I like the dpad on the xbox but don't like the triggers. Feel like they stick to me. I much prefer ps4 controller but xbox controller is nice too.

Killer instinct is worth $500

Tabris

I honestly think the only true way you can evaluate how great a quarterback is, is to take that player out of that team and see the result.

I really wonder if you take Joe Montana away from that top 3 defence / Jerry Rice WR team and put him on the current Jaguars as an example. Does he do the same thing?

Peyton Manning is injured and misses a year. The Colts go 2-14.

Tom Brady is injured and misses a year. The Patriots go 10-4.

I really think there's a certain overrating (Joe Montana / Tom Brady) and underrating (Dan Mario / Peyton Manning) that goes with QBs that have had the fortune of playing with fantastic teams (usually very defensive teams) or fantastic coaches (or cheating in case of Patriots).

MechDX

I

I'm not defending PeyPey, but with the way the Hawks were paying. Idk if a QB without an once of mobility even gives you a decent shot at winning that game. He was a sitting duck who didn't know where to go with the ball except underneath. Which is exactly what the defense wants, and PeyPey should know this by now cause teams do this to him in the playoffs routinely! That line was completely outmatched, and Avril made Franklin look like a Colts/Packers/Steelers/Dolphin O-linemen combined.

Peyton also seems to run pretty low risk/predictable plays when the stakes are high and he's pressured a lot. When they ran like 3 screens in a row, I felt like I was watching an OC or Coach building confidence for a young QB :-(. It was tough. I still think he's one of the best though.

Said it before, Schaub tore this same defense up. I hate the guy with a passion at this point but other than that season fucking Pick 6 he ripped them apart. You don't run crossing routes against the Hawks. Healthy run game with shots down the seams to the TE's.

Manning in this game took a major blow in manys eyes to his "legacy". It was not anything near what I expected. I swear he just kind of quit

Doomsayer

I honestly think the only true way you can evaluate how great a quarterback is, is to take that player out of that team and see the result.

I really wonder if you take Joe Montana away from that top 3 defence / Jerry Rice WR team and put him on the current Jaguars as an example. Does he do the same thing?

I really think there's a certain overrating (Joe Montana / Tom Brady) and underrating (Dan Mario / Peyton Manning) that goes with QBs that have had the fortune of playing with fantastic teams (usually very defensive teams) or fantastic coaches (or cheating in case of Patriots).

Hahahahah you are just as delusional as Kas.

Narag

smfh

Doomsayer

No one underrates Marino or Manning, they are taken at face value. Great regular season QB's who can't seem to get it done when the spotlight is all on them.

The way to beat the Seahawks is with balance. Peyton was calling the plays and he was passing too damn much, it was plain to see. All the teams who had success against Seattle ran the ball and Manning completely neglected that aspect of the game.

Terrible coaching job and terrible offensive execution.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

This is a good point. That was my point about how Manning was essentially a coach himself, and while Brees and Brady put up similar numbers usually, they had brilliant coaching minds with Belichick and Payton backing them up.

Manning put up ridiculous numbers with numerous coaches and the Suck for Luck season itself proves how important one player was to the whole success of the franchise.

I would also rank Brady in my Top 5 list, but Manning is ahead of him because on top of his amazing quarterbacking ability (arm strength, accuracy, pocket presence etc.) he was the offensive coordinator of every team he was on, while Brady at least had Belichick backing him up with coaching.

Sucks that I'm talking about Manning in past tense, but I think the SB was his last game. Hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see him play for one more season.

EDIT: ^ DX mad because the Texans got stomped on for a decade against Manning.

Tabris

He will play. He will try to emulate what Elway did.

Of course Elway had a better team, so we'll see. If Denver can draft, sign, and trade some good corners / safeties, while also getting back players on their o-line, we'll see.

Sorry nothing on the Xbox in it's history never interested me. The games coming to PS4 interest me way more then any games on the XBone.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
"Manning can't get it done in the post season"

Has three trips to the Super Bowl and a ring.

99.99999999999% of QBs wish they couldn't get it done like Manning.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No one underrates Marino or Manning, they are taken at face value. Great regular season QB's who can't seem to get it done when the spotlight is all on them.

The way to beat the Seahawks is with balance. Peyton was calling the plays and he was passing too damn much, it was plain to see. All the teams who had success against Seattle ran the ball and Manning completely neglected that aspect of the game.

Terrible coaching job and terrible offensive execution.
You need a team that can run the ball against us, though.

Speaking of which, from Nemhauser...

"During my conversation with Marshall Faulk earlier in the week, who is close to the Broncos offensive coordinator, he implied he had inside information on the Broncos game plan. It sounded as if the Broncos were going to try to get the Seahawks into nickel personnel and then see if they could run the ball with Avril instead of Red Bryant and Michael Bennett at defensive tackle instead of Brandon Mebane or Tony McDaniel. They thought their decorated Pro Bowl guard Louis Vasquez could block Bennett and open up big holes for their running backs. First of all, bad idea. Bennett is a terrific run defender. Second, Quinn wisely countered by utilizing little-used O'Brien Schofield in place of Avril for long stretches.

Schofield is a stronger run defender and is still a threat as a pass rusher. This reduced any advantage the Broncos may have had."

mr2xxx

Banned
But it's hard to argue against Flacco if I just get one choice for the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl is the only game I need him for

Always makes me question WTF does he do during the regular season besides looking like a jersey shore reject. Maybe he is some genius committing some football version of a rope-a-dope.

Tabris

Except my argument is that the teams he were on prevented him from getting it done in the post season. And I used the Pats season after Tom Brady was injured, the Colts season after Peyton was injured, Dan Marino, and Joe Montana as examples to support my argument. You can't put it

Look at the quarterbacks with multiple Superbowl victories. QBs like Big Ben, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Jim Plunkett, etc. Those quarterbacks won due to the complimentary around them. You put a player like Dan Mario or Peyton Manning, players "who couldn't get it done", on those teams and they may have won more Superbowls.

Tabris

This isn't basketball where you can put Michael Jordan on a team and he can carry them to several championships, or hockey where you can get pretty close to doing the same thing with a player like Wayne Gretzky (well he made a horrible team that traded away their future for him pretty damn good). Football is a true team game.

Jayhawk

The issue of building a better defense on a Manning-led team is that he costs so much cap space. The Seahawks management and coaches did a marvelous job with all those cheap draft picks and free agent signings.

I think the Broncos are okay with letting the likes of Decker and Moreno walk and spending their cap space on the defense. Ball and Anderson should be good enough to do what Moreno did, as long as they work on protecting the football. Decker's going to cost too much. DT on one side, JT at TE, and Wes in the slot should be okay with cheaper Collie-like players as the other WR.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
He will play. He will try to emulate what Elway did.

Of course Elway had a better team, so we'll see. If Denver can draft, sign, and trade some good corners / safeties, while also getting back players on their o-line, we'll see.

Hope you're right. I don't know if Peyton would allow this, but since the Broncos are still in the weak AFC West, and AFC as well, maybe they can go Greg Popovich/Tim Duncan style of resting earlier in the season for a couple of games.

I don't think Peyton would allow that, but I think Elway was in better shape physically at that same age.

I think you guys should just focus on getting a nice speed back and draft a couple of o-lineman late in the draft. As long as you keep the same wide receiver group, draft another running back and some o-lineman you guys can continue the same success IF Peyton can stay healthy.

I wouldn't worry about the secondary too much. Its not like the AFC is filled with young talented QBs like say a Matthew Stafford. Brady, Ben and Rivers are all getting older.

Sorry nothing on the Xbox in it's history never interested me. The games coming to PS4 interest me way more then any games on the XBone.

I'm the same way except the 360 started with a couple of key exclusives that made it superior for me over the PS3 ($600 price tag aside). Gears of War, Crackdown and especially Halo were what got me hooked to the 360 to begin with. I've been a huge Halo fanboy since Halo 1, and Xbox Lives online infrastructure to this day is still better than PSN, IMO.

Plus multiplatform games like Oblivion and COD4 were better on 360 and XBL.

However, Sony's first party absolutely destroys MS's, and the exclusives are overall much better.

MS first party output has sucked the last few years but with the recent leaks, I think they're starting to realize how important exclusives are.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Except my argument is that the teams he were on prevented him from getting it done in the post season. And I used the Pats season after Tom Brady was injured, the Colts season after Peyton was injured, Dan Marino, and Joe Montana as examples to support my argument. You can't put it

Look at the quarterbacks with multiple Superbowl victories. QBs like Big Ben, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Jim Plunkett, etc. Those quarterbacks won due to the complimentary around them. You put a player like Dan Mario or Peyton Manning, players "who couldn't get it done", on those teams and they may have won more Superbowls.

Talking to Doomsayer. Can't get it done is a phrase somebody unfamiliar with football applies to a guy with a ring and 3 trips to the big game.

MechDX

2013 Denver Broncos: Greatest offense ever! How quickly you forget.

Spinluck

Said it before, Schaub tore this same defense up. I hate the guy with a passion at this point but other than that season fucking Pick 6 he ripped them apart. You don't run crossing routes against the Hawks. Healthy run game with shots down the seams to the TE's.

Manning in this game took a major blow in manys eyes to his "legacy". It was not anything near what I expected.

Or Luck and TY Hilton :)

I don't think they played with that same intensity against the Texans. They got pressure all game without having to blitz much. I'd be surprised to go back and watch that Texans footage and see Schoob handing it to em with a disrupted pocket.

They didn't run anything complex, they just dared Manning to throw deep. And on that defense, ducks aren't gonna cut it. I don't think they confused him, I just think they completely outperformed the Broncos physically and mentally. It seemed clear he lacks the same confidence he used to have in his arm, and kept playing into their hands with the underneath stuff. I do agree with you though, you have to take shots on a defense this aggressive. Especially whenever they only have one S back there and are running press.

But there is no way I see Peyton making throws like this at his current age with that arm..

tyhilt1.gif

or this when heavily pressured:

2013-10-06-13_54_12.gif

LuckHoudiniWk5.gif

almost everything Peypey threw that game looked half speed.

it also sucks that he doesn't have this guy anymore :)

Week5WayneRoutea.gif

but if Luck keeps doing this, he won't have him for long either :'(

reggie-wayne-injury-against-broncos.gif%3Fw%3D640

bad Luck, bad!!!

andrew-luck-upset-after-throwing-behind-reggie-wayne-on-injury-play-against-broncos.gif

Vyer

You're not biased. Saying Pro Bowl Quarterback Mark Brunell was the greatest QB of all time would make you biased.

After that whole Wynn/"Gregg Williams stole our playbook" thing I went back and looked up Brunell and the Jags' numbers. I had forgotten how good they were in the late 90's.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The issue of building a better defense on a Manning-led team is that he costs so much cap space. The Seahawks management and coaches did a marvelous job with all those cheap draft picks and free agent signings.

Not a good argument about any QB-led team. Any team with a good QB is going to have to sign them to the highest salary on the team. QBs get paid the most for a reason. The Broncos have 7 draft picks they can use to help build a better team than the one they have now, which was already a great team.

But it all comes down to Mannings health, and I don't know if he can withstand another season. I'd love to be wrong though.

Like you said, Seahawks struck a lot of gold with solid picks low in the draft, but especially with getting Russell Wilson in the third round. With his low salary they were able to sign other players to give the guy help. Wilson is a superior version of Joe Flacco. Great game manager, good guy, but if you take away the team around him and put him on the Jags the'd end up with a win or two more.

MechDX

Or Luck and TY Hilton :)

I don't think they played with that same intensity against the Texans. They got pressure all game without having to blitz much. I'd be surprised to go back and watch that Texans footage and see Schoob handing it to em with a disrupted pocket.

They didn't run anything complex, they just dared Manning to throw deep. And on that defense, ducks aren't gonna cut it. I don't think they confused him, I just think they completely outperformed the Broncos physically and mentally. It seemed clear he lacks the same confidence he used to have in his arm, and kept playing into their hands with the underneath stuff. I do agree with you though, you have to take shots on a defense this aggressive. Especially whenever they only have one S back there and are running press.

But there is no way I see Peyton making throws like this at his current age with that arm..

]
They knocked the hell out of Schaub, Brown was out at LT and we had a hologram playing RT. They ran the ball, Arian was 100+ in that game and Schaub hit the TE's and Dre down the seams for good size gains. Denver never tried to really just run the ball and utilize their big receivers and TE's with some play action

they weren't playing with intensity vs Houston but they did for Indy a week later?

Tabris

You'll see when Moreno signs with a different team, but we didn't have a great running back. Moreno was great due to the calls made, the o-line blocks, and everyone protecting against the pass vs Manning.

Narag

As much as I like Peyton, I think that whole 2-14 thing without him is misleading as all hell given the QBs that filled in were terrible. Swapping the best of the best out for one of the worst isn't exactly the best way to measure short of settling on the worst case scenario. Curtis Painter sucked, Collins was 39 and IR'd fast, and Orlovsky is best known for running out of his own endzone in an 0-16 season. Then there's firing Coyer even though the offensive side was what needed cleaned out. An actual backup level NFL QB (not just in title but ability) could have done something with that team that was better than 2-14 but that wouldn't have secured the top pick when a "once in a generation" talent was due in the draft. Polian wanted to Suck for Luck and so he did. He's still bitter about getting shitcanned for it too.

Jayhawk

it also sucks that he doesn't have this guy anymore :)

How is Wayne's recovery going anyways? I should look up how the Colts are doing with cap space and expiring contracts. Colts are probably stuck with Trent and relying on Donald Brown to produce at RB. Not too excited about the draft. Damn it, Trent.

Spinluck

They knocked the hell out of Schaub, Brown was out at LT and we had a hologram playing RT. They ran the ball, Arian was 100+ in that game and Schaub hit the TE's and Dre down the seams for good size gains. Denver never tried to really just run the ball and utilize their big receivers and TE's with some play action

they weren't playing with intensity vs Houston but they did for Indy a week later?

never said they were playing with that level of intensity against us.

but i dunno if i'd say they looked like that all year.

their play in the SB was just incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom