• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Colts problem is that by the time the have a legit roster that can win a SB, Luck will cost $20m/yr. Blew their cap space and wasted their 2014 first. He's like latte-era Colts Peyton where he's dragging idiot coaching along for the ride

I give Grigson another shot b/c he nailed the 2012 draft. Even taking away Luck, he got more out of it than the Rams did with all those extra picks

Spinluck

How is Wayne's recovery going anyways? I should look up how the Colts are doing with cap space and expiring contracts. Colts are probably stuck with Trent and relying on Donald Brown to produce at RB. Not too excited about the draft. Damn it, Trent.

Everything I've heard about Reggie so far has been pretty encouraging. He says he'll try his best to comeback better than ever and if there's a player you can trust to live up to that it's Reggie. Although if he get real for a sec, he's not getting any younger, so I'm still unsure of how much productivity is left in him.

Trent Truck has an off-season to get acclimated with everything, and prove that he isn't entirely worthless. I think we're letting Brown go :-(, which I don't agree with. But I guess it happens when you only step it up in a contract year. Thing is though- I don't think it would even cost that much to bring him back..

Our draft will probably suck anyway, we're getting back Allen which is good. Luck could've probably used two TE's later last season. But like always with this team, my biggest concern are the injuries. I try not to even think about the defense cause I've come to the conclusion that it's a lost cause at this point. Poor Mathis :-(

Still think Sherman had HIlton if he hadn't let up and let Earl Thomas miss the tackle.

Proabably, that was mainly to highlight Luck making that throw with all that shit in his face. These gifs help me forget the 7INTs in the playoffs.

Colts problem is that by the time the have a legit roster that can win a SB, Luck will cost $20m/yr. Blew their cap space and wasted their 2014 first. He's like latte-era Colts Peyton where he's dragging idiot coaching along for the ride

I give Grigson another shot b/c he nailed the 2012 draft. Even taking away Luck, he got more out of it than the Rams did with all those extra picks

Grigson did fine in 2012, Fleener pick was too high for my liking. But if him and Allen can stay healthy I'm not complaining.

I feel like we need one other WR, and a complete revaluation at the Offensive Linemen position which makes quiet changes throughout the year but never really improves. We'll be fine at RB, and the defense will just continue to be a Colts defense sans 2006 playoffs I suppose.

devilhawk

I honestly think the only true way you can evaluate how great a quarterback is, is to take that player out of that team and see the result.

I really wonder if you take Joe Montana away from that top 3 defence / Jerry Rice WR team and put him on the current Jaguars as an example. Does he do the same thing?

Peyton Manning is injured and misses a year. The Colts go 2-14.

Tom Brady is injured and misses a year. The Patriots go 10-4.

I really think there's a certain overrating (Joe Montana / Tom Brady) and underrating (Dan Mario / Peyton Manning) that goes with QBs that have had the fortune of playing with fantastic teams (usually very defensive teams) or fantastic coaches (or cheating in case of Patriots).
Oh I see how this works.

Get rid of Tebow and add Peyton. Broncos win fewer playoff games than previous year.

You need a team that can run the ball against us, though.

Speaking of which, from Nemhauser...

"During my conversation with Marshall Faulk earlier in the week, who is close to the Broncos offensive coordinator, he implied he had inside information on the Broncos game plan. It sounded as if the Broncos were going to try to get the Seahawks into nickel personnel and then see if they could run the ball with Avril instead of Red Bryant and Michael Bennett at defensive tackle instead of Brandon Mebane or Tony McDaniel. They thought their decorated Pro Bowl guard Louis Vasquez could block Bennett and open up big holes for their running backs. First of all, bad idea. Bennett is a terrific run defender. Second, Quinn wisely countered by utilizing little-used O'Brien Schofield in place of Avril for long stretches.

Schofield is a stronger run defender and is still a threat as a pass rusher. This reduced any advantage the Broncos may have had."

Oh look the Seahawks making good situational use of a player discarded by another team. Fancy that.

Lets ask another question

Who are the alternatives?

Kurt-Warner-Tango.jpg

Really surprised Demaryius played almost the whole game with a separated shoulder. Not gonna question that dude's toughness anymore. Welker was solid, too. Outside of maybe DT and Knighton, those three were the only ones that seemed like they had a decent game.

The Broncos just weren't getting anything out of their run game. A bunch of -2 to 2 yard runs. The thing with Peyton is that if the team can't get 3 or more yards regularly on 1st or 2nd down, he's going to stop running the ball. He's done this in Indy and with the Broncos (and he's talked about it before - not just about running the ball, but running the ball effectively). This swings both ways too, as you saw with the first NE game when he didnt really throw much until the end of the game to catch up. I'm not saying it's a good way to handle it, it's just the way he is. He's rarely going to send his RB into a defense that looks like they're playing the run well (and it always felt like at least 2 LBs were held in to check the run, even if that wasnt really the case).

Broncos already making some practice team signings and future contracts. Not really familiar with most of the players, but it looks like they're getting prepared in case theres a large loss of players in FA.

These writers are asking the wrong questions anyway. Manning's legacy to me can be summed up thusly:

If you were a team playing in the Super Bowl, would he be your first choice?

Joe Cool would be everyones first choice. The atricle mentions a bad play he almost made in a SB game, but there were just so few of those. He never got rattled and was pretty much always on in those games. Manning is #2 but I would absolutely take Joe over him.

Wrayfield

Really surprised Demaryius played almost the whole game with a separated shoulder. Not gonna question that dude's toughness anymore. Welker was solid, too. Outside of maybe DT and Knighton, those three were the only ones that seemed like they had a decent game.

The Broncos just weren't getting anything out of their run game. A bunch of -2 to 2 yard runs. The thing with Peyton is that if the team can't get 3 or more yards regularly on 1st or 2nd down, he's going to stop running the ball. He's done this in Indy and with the Broncos (and he's talked about it before - not just about running the ball, but running the ball effectively). This swings both ways too, as you saw with the first NE game when he didnt really throw much until the end of the game to catch up. I'm not saying it's a good way to handle it, it's just the way he is. He's rarely going to send his RB into a defense that looks like they're playing the run well (and it always felt like at least 2 LBs were held in to check the run, even if that wasnt really the case).

Broncos already making some practice team signings and future contracts. Not really familiar with most of the players, but it looks like they're getting prepared in case theres a large loss of players in FA.

I forget who #59 on the Broncos is but he seemed to be the only LB at least near a Seahawks O player.

I honestly think the only true way you can evaluate how great a quarterback is, is to take that player out of that team and see the result.

I really wonder if you take Joe Montana away from that top 3 defence / Jerry Rice WR team and put him on the current Jaguars as an example. Does he do the same thing?

Peyton Manning is injured and misses a year. The Colts go 2-14.

Tom Brady is injured and misses a year. The Patriots go 10-4.

I really think there's a certain overrating (Joe Montana / Tom Brady) and underrating (Dan Mario / Peyton Manning) that goes with QBs that have had the fortune of playing with fantastic teams (usually very defensive teams) or fantastic coaches (or cheating in case of Patriots).
The Patriots won 5 less games with Cassel.

eznark

Banned
If you are claiming Manning choked instead of stating that the Seattle defense was fucking amazing you are a God damn simpleton with shit for brains.

Since you jackoffs insist on playing this game of would you rather though, I'd like to draw a line in the sand of intelligence:

Neutral surrounding talent, who would you rather have in the Super Bowl: Terry "4 Rings" Bradshaw or Dan Marino

Crisco

Banned
Denver can't really complain, they knew what they were buying. The best regular season QB ever. They got what they paid for!

If you are claiming Manning choked instead of stating that the Seattle defense was fucking amazing you are a God damn simpleton with shit for brains.

Since you jackoffs insist on playing this game of would you rather though, I'd like to draw a line in the sand of intelligence:

Neutral surrounding talent, who would you rather have in the Super Bowl: Terry "4 Rings" Bradshaw or Dan Marino
Seriously. I don't see how you can place much blame on Manning for what happened in that game.

And the answer is Marino. The answer is always Marino.

Tom Penny

Greatest offense ever scored 8 points and is never remotely competive in the game and he has 2 turnovers one were he literally closes his eyes and threw the ball instead of eating the play that resulted in a pick 6. When you get whipped that bad it's never one guy but let's quit pretending he did anything to even keep them in the game. Brady loses to a 1 and a thousand catch and gets smashed an entire game and loses another one on a catchable pass that albeit not the best pass and nobody gives a shit. No free passes last time I checked.

Talon

Only Patriots fans whine incessantly about their QB getting no fucking respect.

Jesus. Nantz and Simms literally fellate Brady for 8 games/season. What more do you want?

bionic77

The Seahawks were the superior team but I don't get why Manning is getting all the shit when I thought the real choke was from Fox and the coaches. Team was not prepared and they never adjusted when it should have been apparent relatively early that slanging would not cut it.

If that was Brady playing the Seahawks would you say it was choking?
Of course. Don't be ridiculous.

bionic77

Manning for steamrolled by one of the greatest pass defenses of all time and a superior team from a superior conference.

Brady lost to Mark Sanchez at home. All his SB wins happened because of the kicker and his team has also been caught cheating.

Game. Set. Greg.

Manning for steamrolled by one of the greatest pass defenses of all time and a superior team from a superior conference.

Brady lost to Mark Sanchez at home. All his SB wins happened because of the kicker and his team has also been caught cheating.

Game. Set. Greg.

Did you forget that Sanchez beat Peyton the week before and almost won in Pittsburgh?

Tom Penny

The Seahawks were the superior team but I don't get why Manning is getting all the shit when I thought the real choke was from Fox and the coaches. Team was not prepared and they never adjusted when it should have been apparent relatively early that slanging would not cut it.

So let me get this right. The greatest QB in history that revolutionized the game who gets all the credit for the offense and his audibles and adjustments when he has played with countless superior offensive talents suddenly handed the keys to John Fox. Cool Story.

Peyton and Brady both become very ineffective if you can collapse the pocket on them quickly. They've both played the majority of their careers with fantastic o-lines so this rarely happens, plus they get rid of the ball fast, but it is their primary weakness. Seattle won the battle up front with authority and because of that PeyPey never stood a chance. Same with Brady against the Giants in '08.

They are who they are.

bionic77

So let me get this right. The greatest QB in history that revolutionized the game who gets all the credit for the offense and his audibles and adjustments when he has played with countless superior offensive talents suddenly handed the keys to John Fox. Cool Story.
If all of the preparation and play calling is on Peyton then yes he deserves the blame. I usually put that on the coach though. They were getting killed on 4 man rushes and yet they did not call more runs or change up the passing plan to at least give themselves a chance.

Did you forget that Sanchez beat Peyton the week before and almost won in Pittsburgh?
Almost won? What the fuck is this shit? When the game was on the line Ben made the crucial 3rd down plays. He didn't let Mark style on him in his stadium.

Crisco

Banned
Seahawks are going to be really good next year, but so will at least 2 other teams in their division. If the Packers can get some semblance of defense, they will be so hard to beat with Lacy giving them a credible run game. NFC South might be as good as the West, health willing. All the NFC East teams should be improved. Making the playoffs will be a dogfight for basically every NFC team but the Packers.

xnipx

Ok we get it. The loss is on the team. But if Peyton is also on this team. Why do people go out of their way to defend him! Let him be a part of the team that got their asses whipped and he didn't do shit to affect the outcome of the game(positively at least, he helped the Seahawks plenty)

If the loss is on the TEAM. Then as a member of the broncos Peyton deserves just as much blame as his shit o line and coaches.

bionic77

Seahawks are going to be really good next year, but so will at least 2 other teams in their division. If the Packers can get some semblance of defense, they will be so hard to beat with Lacy giving them a credible run game. NFC South might be as good as the West, health willing. All the NFC East teams should be improved. Making the playoffs will be a dogfight for basically every NFC team but the Packers.
The North is crap and the Packers will get their guaranteed home game, which as we all know is the one place Fraudgers can't win.

eznark

Banned
Of all the really dumb things on the last two pages the most unbelievable is that people are suddenly pretending that Tom Penny isn't a joke character.

I think everyone on Denver deserves blame but I give Fox the most. After the game Manning said the safety happened because they were not prepared for the noise at the start of the game. That is 100% on the coaching. Also the Seahawks DL was firing off the ball straight up the field every play, runs some fucking draws to try and at least make them hesitate for a second.

I think everyone on Denver deserves blame but I give Fox the most. After the game Manning said the safety happened because they were not prepared for the noise at the start of the game. That is 100% on the coaching. Also the Seahawks DL was firing off the ball straight up the field every play, runs some fucking draws to try and at least make them hesitate for a second.
They tried draws in the second half, Seattle stuffed all of them without even needing LB support. It was incredibly impressive and pitiful at the same time.

eznark

Banned
My problem isn't with who we are blaming, it's the fact that the Seahawks are given no credit. "No credit" being relative to the amount of "omg chokerchokerchoker" Manning is getting.

And I think it's pretty obvious that Brady would be taking zero blame for this loss. He's gotten almost no shit in the general media for his abysmal performance this season and when he floated a shitty pass that Welker wasn't able to miraculously haul in, Welker was run out of town.

My problem isn't with who we are blaming, it's the fact that the Seahawks are given no credit. "No credit" being relative to the amount of "omg chokerchokerchoker" Manning is getting.

And I think it's pretty obvious that Brady would be taking zero blame for this loss. He's gotten almost no shit in the general media for his abysmal performance this season and when he floated a shitty pass that Welker wasn't able to miraculously haul in, Welker was run out of town.
Abysmal? Patriots probably win 7 games without Brady.

squicken

Good article on what Kyle Shanahan brings to the Browns. Some good quotes from Sage Rosenfels

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/02/cleveland_browns_hire_kyle_sha.html

"Kyle understands the strengths and weaknesses of every quarterback that he coaches, and what I always liked about Kyle is that he made fairly precise rules for the quarterbacks he was coaching, so you knew exactly what to do on every play,'' said Rosenfels. "There wasn't a lot of gray area, and I thought that especially for a young guy, that allows you to go through rules and progressions and you usually come to an open receiver as long you trust in the system.''

eznark

Banned
Abysmal? Patriots probably win 7 games without Brady.

60% completion rate, 271 ypg, 25/11 ration, 6.9 ypa

There is nothing special about those numbers. He was totally fine, but for Brady that is abysmal. I certainly would be terrified if Rodgers put up numbers like that.

60% completion rate, 271 ypg, 25/11 ration, 6.9 ypa

There is nothing special about those numbers. He was totally fine, but for Brady that is abysmal. I certainly would be terrified if Rodgers put up numbers like that.
I agree with that but I think you should also look at who he had to throw to.

eznark

Banned
I agree with that but I think you should also look at who he had to throw to.

Yeah, that's an issue. But his plummeting touchdown rate combined with his age lead me to believe it won't be very long until it kind of doesn't matter. If he is still the starting QB in New England in 2015 I will be legit stunned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom