• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

Because-shes-worth-it.gif

Belgium's greatest moment during the WC was this girl.

cajunator

Banned
cajun, that asshole Confrontation thinks Belgium is better than the US of A.

GET EM CAJUN

Belgium makes good waffles and a cool racetrack and is otherwise unremarkable.
It also doesnt have my Saints in it so it is unfortunately inferior. Sorry Confrontation.

squicken

ESPN has it's annual Insider piece, talking to coaches and GMs, both current and past, that places QBs in tiers

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi...iders-rank-32-starting-quarterbacks-tiers-nfl

Tier 1
Rodgers
Brady (only two guys who were unanimous tier 1)
3. Luck
4. Ben
5. Peyton (lots of hedging in piece)
6. Brees

Tier 2

7. Rivers
8. Wussle
9. Romo
10. Flacco
11. Matty Ice
12. Eli
T12. Stafford

excerpt since they go in pretty deep on him

"No doubt, he is a 2 and I love him, but something is missing," a different offensive coach said. "Stafford could be like Aaron Rodgers if he had the burning passion and if he had Mike McCarthy from Day 1, because he is talented like that and quick with the ball. But you look at the look on Stafford's face before the game and then look at Rodgers' face or Big Ben's face or Luck's or especially Drew Brees' face or Philip Rivers' face. Holy s---, you look at Matthew Stafford's eyes and it's like gym class. It's like, 'I hope we win, I think we are pretty good' as opposed to, 'I am going to rip your throat out.' It is always the want-to and passion and desire that separates guys. Stafford should be there with Big Ben. Rivers is OK physically, but does it all by heart and leadership."

A GM touched on the same theme.

"Stafford is ahead of Andy Dalton and Alex Smith because he is more gifted, but there is an element where he is either about to become a 2 or he can fall into the Cutler category, not because of intangibles necessarily but because there is something missing. Even at Georgia, [in 2008] they had Stafford, they had Knowshon Moreno and A.J. Green. They were ranked No. 1 in the nation, and they finished with three losses. To me, that just defines things. You are in college football, you are a franchise QB, you have a really good college running back, an up-and-coming receiver and for whatever reason you could not lead your team to be ahead at the end of the big games."

The perception is that Stafford must discipline himself to be great. A personnel director said he'd rather have Flacco or Ryan.

"Stafford has a little of what Cutler has got," this director said. "He has mechanical things. He will throw it up for grabs. He is a 2. I don't know if he has internally what Flacco and Ryan have in terms of the will to be special. I see those guys working on their mechanics, which is huge for guys like Peyton and Brady. Stafford's mechanics have not changed."

14. Cam

Tier 3

15 Palmer
16 Alex
17 Tanny
18 Kap

"[Jim] Harbaugh allowed him to get exposed a little by trying to have him win, to be the centerpiece of the offense instead of what he does naturally -- running," a personnel director said. "He showed his arm strength, but also his inaccuracy as a thrower. That is not going to get better. He cannot be a 2 by being a drop-back QB."

19 Red Rifle
21 Carr
22 Cutler

With the exception of Robert Griffin III, no player in the survey produced stronger negative reactions than Cutler produced.

"I've never seen a guy get paid that much money and see that many people fired around him," a head coach said. "It's incredible. It is never his fault. You could give him a 2, but I'd want him as a backup."

That coach was one of seven voters to place Cutler in the fourth tier. One voter placed him in the fifth tier, explaining that Cutler's presence on a team is damaging.

"We might already know everything on him, but there seems to be something about him where you go, 'Let's give him another shot,'" a GM said.

23 Foles
24 Bradford (2 but for availability)
25 Teddy

Seems low so full writeup

Bridgewater made it into the third tier after a 13-game rookie season featuring 14 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions. That's not bad, but it's tough not to notice how much Bridgewater lagged behind Carr, his fellow 2014 rookie, in this survey.

"I think he is a 3 right now," a personnel director said. "He has a lot of confidence, some mobility, some little traits that you like. I just do not think he has a lot of a lot of those traits. He will flash 2, never be a 1 and settle in at being a 3, needing good people around him. He is one of those guys who is a jack of all trades, master of none."

A GM challenged anyone to find an area where Bridgewater projected as above average. Multiple voters thought Bridgewater would be a solid 3 playing with Adrian Peterson and under offensive coordinator Norv Turner. A personnel director who was one of five voters placing Bridgewater in the second tier cited the poise Bridgewater showed leading an offense without Peterson.

"I question his accuracy," a different director said. "Ten-plus yards down the field and in tight windows with the game on the line, I'm not sure. If you scheme it up and have a great run game with a top offensive coordinator, he is good. I don't know if he can ever put it on his back. You did not see it in college.

"I watched the Detroit game and he threw two picks that really cost them the game. He had to make a throw into a tight window. He does have poise. He makes pretty good decisions with the ball. He has some things you like and with the right offense and coordinator, you can win with him. He is very similar to the kid in Cincinnati, and that is OK. You get to 10 wins in this freaking league, you are making a lot of money."

Tier 4
Mariota
Jameis
Bortles
RG3

One head coach wound up being the easiest grader overall -- and it wasn't even close -- placing 30 of the 32 quarterbacks in the top two tiers. The lone exceptions? Matt Cassel (Tier 3) and Griffin (Tier 4), which pretty much sums up where people around the league see Griffin at this stage of his career.

"Five, and there's no coming back," one offensive coach said. "He is done. The reason why is, the injury slowed his legs, and his ego will not allow him to hit rock bottom and actually grind his way back up the right way."

Multiple voters hit on that theme.

"To get better in this league, you have to have a degree of humility," a personnel director said. "Griffin sees himself like Peyton, in that light. When he looks in the mirror, he is seeing things that everybody else is not seeing. That is why I was surprised when they gave him the fifth-year [option] and said it was an easy decision."

Griffin did receive a lone second-tier vote from a GM who took a longer-range view.

"I know how hard it is for a quarterback to go into a system for the first time," he said. "I go back to Brett Favre. He was a 1, but he goes to the Jets and he was probably a 2 or a 3. Then he went to a familiar system in Minnesota and was a 1 again. With Griffin, I'm taking into account the new offense, the new personality at head coach, coming off an injury. He showed his rookie year that he could be a 1. He is a young guy. I'm going to give him the benefit because of that."

McCown
Bg/Mech's boy Hoyer
Cassel
Geno

brentech

Hot Shots and some of those others are great, but in terms of a true to life golf game that doesn't allow mid air changes to ball trajectory or spin, The Golf Club simply plays like playing golf should.

I want to see the part where you crushed his soul!

I went down 2-1 in the 80th minute or so, and had the chance to equalize in the 90th minute but shot on the post from point blank range with Robben ;_;

hahaha, I didn't save that part

I was cracking up though because Dutch just randomly decided to tell me about Concrete Ron, and then all of a sudden the announcers start talking about him

CONCRETE RON

hahaha, I didn't save that part

I was cracking up though because Dutch just randomly decided to tell me about Concrete Ron, and then all of a sudden the announcers start talking about him

I went down 2-1 in the 80th minute or so, and had the chance to equalize in the 90th minute but shot on the post from point blank range with Robben ;_;

CONCRETE RON
:jnc that is amazing

I need to start using the Netherlands to learn more about this Concrete Ron fellow. This should be your avatar, Dutch:

vlaar.jpg

Hot Shots and some of those others are great, but in terms of a true to life golf game that doesn't allow mid air changes to ball trajectory or spin, The Golf Club simply plays like playing golf should.

That's my disconnect with TGC. It's brilliant, but I need my golf games a bit silly. I need super back spinning balls, golf clubs on fire and shit.

A videogame that ACTUALLY plays like golf just makes me want to play actual real life golf instead.

I left the TW series when they started trying to go sim (albeit they did sim poorly) instead of being straight arcade like it was for 10 years.

Stafford is probably ranked too high but I agree with the comments in the article. His mechanics improved last year...but what does it say about him that it took until Year 6 and a new coaching staff to do that? He seems less like a leader than someone who takes on the personality of his coaches. Jim Schwartz was VERY lenient with him, didn't really hold him accountable...and Stafford just went through the motions without change. Yea he worked hard in the offseason but a QB needs to do more than just throw balls. He wasn't working on his mechanics for those first five years...

Now he has seemingly taken on Caldwell's personality/approach, which is infinitely better than Schwartz's but I'm still concerned. Barring injuries he really has no excuse not to do well this year. He has great #1 and #2 WRs, has a dangerous TE as his #3 (I'm assuming Ebron will play well this season, now that he can focus on catching instead of blocking) and various backfield threats to pad his stats. An improved o-line and run game will also help.

Kas focuses on 2011 a lot, back when Stafford looked like he was elite; also Stafford looked really good in 2010 in the three games he played before going out with a shoulder injury. If I was in the Lions organization I'd be trying to figure out what about 2011 led to Stafford playing like a god. We didn't have a run game that year, Jahvid Bell (390yds) was injured and the other two RBs had around 320 yards each for the year. Was it due to Megatron having a monster year (1681 yards)? I think it was due to Stafford having four legit options, and a good o-line.

Megatron - 1681 yards, 16 TDs
Pettigrew - 777 yards, 5 TDs
Burleson - 757 yards, 3 TDs
Young - 607 yards, 6 TDs

Three WRs with 600+ yards, and one TE at 700+. Jahvid Best was also pretty good out the backfield that year in the six games he played, plus our second TE got around 350 yards. Impressive spread of yards amongst multiple guys who got open, plus Stafford used his check downs. Stafford hasn't had a group of weapons like that since. On paper 2014 should have been comparable - Megatron, Tate, Ebron, Riddick in the backfield - but the o line imploded and Stafford struggled with the new offense. Plus Ebron was meh.

However this year SHOULD be his year, on paper. Megatron, Tate, an improved Ebron, Riddick and Abdullah in the backfield, maybe Lance Moore revives his career in a familiar offensive system. I'd imagine we'll run more this year but still, Stafford should throw for 30+ TDs at the least, 4300+ yards, and improve his accuracy. No excuses, barring injuries...

:jnc that is amazing

I need to start using the Netherlands to learn more about this Concrete Ron fellow. This should be your avatar, Dutch:

http://www.voetbal4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/vlaar.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

[img]http://static0.ad.nl/static/photo/2014/9/5/1/20140619143407/media_xll_2320726.jpg

Concrete Ron is an animal

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Stafford is probably ranked too high but I agree with the comments in the article. His mechanics improved last year...but what does it say about him that it took until Year 6 and a new coaching staff to do that? He seems less like a leader than someone who takes on the personality of his coaches. Jim Schwartz was VERY lenient with him, didn't really hold him accountable...and Stafford just went through the motions without change. Yea he worked hard in the offseason but a QB needs to do more than just throw balls. He wasn't working on his mechanics for those first five years...

Now he has seemingly taken on Caldwell's personality/approach, which is infinitely better than Schwartz's but I'm still concerned. Barring injuries he really has no excuse not to do well this year. He has great #1 and #2 WRs, has a dangerous TE as his #3 (I'm assuming Ebron will play well this season, now that he can focus on catching instead of blocking) and various backfield threats to pad his stats. An improved o-line and run game will also help.

Kas focuses on 2011 a lot, back when Stafford looked like he was elite; also Stafford looked really good in 2010 in the three games he played before going out with a shoulder injury. If I was in the Lions organization I'd be trying to figure out what about 2011 led to Stafford playing like a god. We didn't have a run game that year, Jahvid Bell (390yds) was injured and the other two RBs had around 320 yards each for the year. Was it due to Megatron having a monster year (1681 yards)? I think it was due to Stafford having four legit options, and a good o-line.

Megatron - 1681 yards, 16 TDs
Pettigrew - 777 yards, 5 TDs
Burleson - 757 yards, 3 TDs
Young - 607 yards, 6 TDs

Three WRs with 600+ yards, and one TE at 700+. Jahvid Best was also pretty good out the backfield that year in the six games he played, plus our second TE got around 350 yards. Impressive spread of yards amongst multiple guys who got open, plus Stafford used his check downs. Stafford hasn't had a group of weapons like that since. On paper 2014 should have been comparable - Megatron, Tate, Ebron, Riddick in the backfield - but the o line imploded and Stafford struggled with the new offense. Plus Ebron was meh.

However this year SHOULD be his year, on paper. Megatron, Tate, an improved Ebron, Riddick and Abdullah in the backfield, maybe Lance Moore revives his career in a familiar offensive system. I'd imagine we'll run more this year but still, Stafford should throw for 30+ TDs at the least, 4300+ yards, and improve his accuracy. No excuses, barring injuries...

2011 was a statistically anomaly as a result of the lockout. There was literally zero defense being played anywhere in the league for most of that season.

Top Bottom