• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

ACE 1991

Playing in a fantasy league for the first time, any tips for a newbie other than grabbing an elite RB or QB with your first pick? Also, what lists do you guys trust the most for fantasy rankings?

Godslay

Banned
Yeah, it's the same experience when I've seen NHL games live. The speed and pace is insane, not to mention how big they are with how small the playing area is, all very confined. Sure it's the same feeling on a NFL field vs the large CFL field.

I've been to a few Avs games in my day. That pretty much describes it, especially after seeing some small town hockey games. It's just a different level.

In other news, Broncos rework Colquitt's contract. Frees up $1.4M in cap space. Looks like it's going to be Colquitt, Barth, and McManus on kickoffs. Not ideal, but covers all bases at a reduced cost.

Tom Penny

Playing in a fantasy league for the first time, any tips for a newbie other than grabbing an elite RB or QB with your first pick? Also, what lists do you guys trust the most for fantasy rankings?
A) know your scoring system that determines how you draft
B) go to a site like fftoolbox you can set up an account which will let you put in your league rules and adjust the top 200 accordingly

ACE 1991

A) know your scoring system that determines how you draft
B) go to a site like fftoolbox you can set up an account which will let you put in your league rules and adjust the top 200 accordingly

Ok, thanks! I only really started getting seriously into the NFL last season, so I'm still a little shaky on top players from a lot of teams. Is the strategy on draft day to bring a top 200 list and have targets/back ups for each round?

You could easily argue the only reason Stafford only threw 12 INTs last year is because he passed in a more conservative offense and didn't take as many shots downfield. I expect him to be back at 15-17 INTs this year. However I also expect his other numbers to rise. My problem with Caldwell is that he's trying to turn Stafford into some type of calm, tactician QB. Stafford is a gun slinger. He will never be Rodgers. He's more in the lane of a Brett Favre. No, I'm not saying he's as good as Favre just that they're similar: big arms, bad decisions. Sometimes they look brilliant, other times they look horrible.

Nearly every Stafford throw is a bullet, there is very little touch to his throws. I understand doing that on a slant play, but when you're trying to get hit someone in stride out of the backfield it's a problem.

In terms of record...I'm not going to blame Stafford for struggling to turn around an 0-16 team, or struggling with injuries. I will blame him for 2012 and especially 2013, where Rodgers and Cutler basically died yet we couldn't win the division. Your QB has to win games for you.

bionic77

Closed on Sept 26, 1993, but no one bothered to tell your carny folk.
Didn't Barbara Bush or someone from that family say that staying in the Superdome was like staying in a Marriot for most of the poor people in New Orleans?

Cajun how can your people still vote republican after they literally defecate on your face? What are you some kind of R Kelly superfans?

eznark

Banned
You could easily argue the only reason Stafford only threw 12 INTs last year is because he passed in a more conservative offense and didn't take as many shots downfield. I expect him to be back at 15-17 INTs this year. However I also expect his other numbers to rise. My problem with Caldwell is that he's trying to turn Stafford into some type of calm, tactician QB. Stafford is a gun slinger. He will never be Rodgers. He's more in the lane of a Brett Favre. No, I'm not saying he's as good as Favre just that they're similar: big arms, bad decisions. Sometimes they look brilliant, other times they look horrible.

Nearly every Stafford throw is a bullet, there is very little touch to his throws. I understand doing that on a slant play, but when you're trying to get hit someone in stride out of the backfield it's a problem.

In terms of record...I'm not going to blame Stafford for struggling to turn around an 0-16 team, or struggling with injuries. I will blame him for 2012 and especially 2013, where Rodgers and Cutler basically died yet we couldn't win the division. Your QB has to win games for you.

It made sense to try and harness him given the defense. Him turning the ball over is just awful given how disruptive that defense could be.

tmdorsey

Started watching Mr. Robot this weekend. First episode has a montage of "fallen heroes" and it includes Lance Armstrong, Bill Cosby and Tom Brady.

Happy Birthday Tom, your legacy is destroyed.

That's funny, I started watching it too this weekend and laughed when I saw that montage.

How the hell do me and Brady share birthdays and first names??!

Anyway, old NFL-GAF checking in here. Turning 39 today. Jesus H. Christ time flies youngins. Time indeed flies.

Greg

That's funny, I started watching it too this weekend and laughed when I saw that montage.

How the hell do me and Brady share birthdays and first names??!

Anyway, old NFL-GAF checking in here. Turning 39 today. Jesus H. Christ time flies youngins. Time indeed flies.
happy birthday man!

It made sense to try and harness him given the defense. Him turning the ball over is just awful given how disruptive that defense could be.

Dunno. I can't help but think that just slinging it like we did during the Linehan years would have been more effective. But we'd also need a decent run game to make that work, which is something we didn't have last year. Hopefully Abdullah and an improved o-line can fix that...

Tom Penny

Ok, thanks! I only really started getting seriously into the NFL last season, so I'm still a little shaky on top players from a lot of teams. Is the strategy on draft day to bring a top 200 list and have targets/back ups for each round?
My stategy would be to take the best players available until you have your starting lineup excluding a kicker and defense which you can take whenever. Then draft for depth/ backups. Kicker should be your last pick.

Wait for a QB until round 5 or so.

So it seems that FFXII HD is all but confirmed!!

All we are missing is #Socom II HD :(

Hindl

Anyone have sling? I wanna cable cut since the only thing I'd use it for is football and occasional other stuff, and sling seems like a good deal. Does it get livestreams of the games or only rebroadcasts? Also is it any good?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Making fun of a guy's legal problems will generally catch you a ban. Sanjuro just can't help himself when an easy target pops up. It's why he's been banned only slightly less than konka.

Happy birthday Brady

Grow your hair back out you dumb fuck, and don't break your next phone when you get a notification that you've been blackballed from the HOF

Making fun of a guy's legal problems will generally catch you a ban. Sanjuro just can't help himself when an easy target pops up. It's why he's been banned only slightly less than konka.
Speaking of konka he better not be banned. I'm expecting a 5 pages paper with multiple paragraphs complementing each Browns gaf member from you, when konka makes it to the regular season.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I bought some new shoes this weekend...omg it's like walking on clouds. They have that memory foam insoles, it feels so good.

sketchers-joe-montana.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/628189963268542464?s=09

My guess is that the Raiders and Chargers share a new stadium in LA while the Rams stay put in St. Louis.

I'm not sure if any of the three are actually able to stay put though. The Rams definitely sound like they're one foot out the door.

I think San Antonio is the wild card here with the Raiders. The Raiders leaving California would be a huge tragedy to the tradition of the league though.

Top Bottom