• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

Spinluck

unnamed-3873.png

Tom Brady jabs at Peyton Manning in private emails I might be late but LOL. As if Brady thinks he has that long in himself.

Pro athletes talk shit about other pro athletes when they're not around.

He's crazy if he thinks he has that much time left lmao.

He's not wrong about PeyPey though.

So he disagrees with political environments and adjusts his business accordingly? Sounds like business to me. Don't like it, don't eat there. Pretty simple.

What else did he do that was so disgusting? Did he testicle whip that Little Cesars mascot or something?

You leave lil Caesar's out of this you son of a bitch!

I'm half joking, but I think the comparison is apt. Alex Smith not having the arm strength for deep stuff is a lazy comparison. Alex Smith has enough arm to get the throws downfield, but his accuracy on deep throws is poor and he hates getting hit. He instead focuses on high percentage throws as a result.

Since Tanny has been in the league he's been slammed around like a rag doll and has poor accuracy when he does get a shot off. He got a long bomb guy and the offense focused on putting him in traffic (which he sucked at) rather than feeding him deep shots which he excelled at. Meanwhile Fins fans have been complaining about a shit o-line for years though aside from sacks they tend to grade out as mediocre at best. Is it so out there to come to the conclusion that maybe the deep stuff just isn't part of Tannehill's game?

If you break down tannehills deep passes he comes out as average which is fine, wallace sucked dog shit and when you include his passes tannehills deep ball % falls to mediocre, it's not all on tannehill. The deep ball issues are all media bullshit

No link, I was listening to his latest press conference.

A reporter, in regards to an SI contributor calling Jay a mastermind play designer, asked him if he's expound upon the offense. OR. Work on perfecting what they did last year. Jay DEEEEEPLY sighed, LOL. He essentially said that you'd like to grow the offense but it's held back by an inability of people to understand it...

He and RGIII both need to go IMO.

They both will in a year or two, but Snyder and the shit name will still be there so it'll still be considered a net loss

I'm half joking, but I think the comparison is apt. Alex Smith not having the arm strength for deep stuff is a lazy comparison. Alex Smith has enough arm to get the throws downfield, but his accuracy on deep throws is poor and he hates getting hit. He instead focuses on high percentage throws as a result.

Since Tanny has been in the league he's been slammed around like a rag doll and has poor accuracy when he does get a shot off. He got a long bomb guy and the offense focused on putting him in traffic (which he sucked at) rather than feeding him deep shots which he excelled at. Meanwhile Fins fans have been complaining about a shit o-line for years though aside from sacks they tend to grade out as mediocre at best. Is it so out there to come to the conclusion that maybe the deep stuff just isn't part of Tannehill's game?
So you are really going to try and base an argument on the Dolphins pass blacking during Tannehill's career being anything other than complete and utter dog shit? Good luck getting me to agree with you on that one. What's Jonathan Martin up to these days? That was Tannehill's studly LT during his rookie and sophomore seasons, at least until midway through season two when someone decided to be a bully and decimate the already bad o-line even more.

The reason I won't come to that conclusion is because I believe Tannehill is capable of throwing a good deep ball. I've watched every snap he's played and I can tell the physical talent is there, the surrounding factors just need to come together. Bringing in Stills and Parker is a great first step, now I'm just hoping the o-line holds up.

Time for you bitches to learn something.

CBe48D5UMAAyWRR.jpg:large

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Tannehill’s deep ball accuracy. While his lack of chemistry with Mike Wallace was much discussed, Tannehill actually finished mid-pack in deep ball accuracy, completing 37.7 percent of throws traveling over 20 yards in the air. That said, Tannehill’s 53 deep ball attempts ranked 20th out of 25 qualifiers.

One area where the Dolphins need to improve is in protecting Tannehill. He was one of the most frequently pressured quarterbacks last season, seeing a pressure on 38.4 percent of his dropbacks. Only five quarterbacks saw pressure more frequently, and only Colin Kaepernick and Blake Bortlers took more sacks than Tannehill’s 46.

Mike Pouncy’s return at center will help, as Samson Satele was an abomination last season. Likewise, having Branden Albert back will help improve PFF’s No. 31 pass blocking unit last season. That said, the Dolphins will need second-year man and former first-rounder Ju’Wuan James to take a step forward. James was the fifth worst pass blocking defensive tackle last season.

Let’s get the elephant in the room out of the way: Ryan Tannehill is not very accurate when throwing more than 20 yards downfield. HOWEVER, he did improve in this area when compared to last year.
2013 (pass attempts 20+ yards): 16-64 (32.8%), 560 yards, 3 TDs-6 INTs
2014 (pass attempts 20+ yards): 16-52 (38.5%), 478 yards, 3 TDs-2 INTs
While he undoubtedly has improved statistically in terms of his accuracy (the league average on these passes is around 40%), the fact that Tannehill’s deep attempts fell so sharply from 2013 is something to note. How much of this stems from his own limitations? How much of this comes from Bill Lazor’s offense and/or Joe Philbin’s gameplan? Both coaching and ability probably have something to do with it, but how to proportion the blame is unclear.
While I do believe Tannehill’s deep passing struggles have been overstated to the point that it has become a cliché, the most alarming statistic is Tannehill’s yards per passing attempt. The best quarterbacks in the league (Rodgers, Manning, etc.) will always be the league leaders in three passing categories: completion percentage, TD-to-INT ratio, and yards/attempt. Tannehill put up strong showings in two of these categories, but the gulf between Tony Romo’s league leading 8.5 yards/attempt and Tannehill’s 6.9 yards/attempt is enormous.
Part of this inevitably comes from Tannehill’s lack of deep completions, but it also does not reveal the whole story. Quarterbacks such as Matthew Stafford, Tom Brady, and Joe Flacco all have yards per attempt below 7.2, and all have either dominant receivers (Stafford), dominant coaching/scheme (Brady), and/or dominant deep ball accuracy (Flacco completed 50% of his deep balls). Tannehill’s below average yards per attempt is most likely a combination of deep ball accuracy and offensive scheme. This area is the last of the major statistical categories that Tannehill has yet to prove himself in.

If you see without Wallace, Tannehill has an above average deep ball completion % all time.

Wanna compare him to someone? I'd agree with this Flacco comparision

Tannehill’s first three seasons: 61.9% completion, 11,252 yards, 63 TDs-42 INTs, 6.8 yards/attempt, 84.0 QB Rating
Flacco’s first three seasons: 62.0% completion, 10,206 yards, 60 TDs-34 INTs, 7.2 yards/attempt, 87.9 QB Rating
Joe Flacco is not a sexy name. Joe Flacco will probably not be a Hall of Famer. Joe Flacco is inconsistent, he is prone to truly bad games – this year he had three games with a QB rating under 70 (Tannehill had none, by the way). Joe Flacco is also a Super Bowl MVP. Of course, there’s a lot of factors that caused Flacco to be able to win a Super Bowl — great coaching, an offense tailored to him, some very lucky bounces and broken plays, and an offensive line that allows less than 40 sacks a year. Tannehill has never had any of that, and still he and Flacco share a career high in touchdowns (27).
Flacco has never thrown for 4,000 yards, Tannehill just did. Flacco has never had a completion percentage above 63 percent. Tannehill easily surpassed that.
My point is not to blindly defend Tannehill, as some may accuse me of doing. Much of his game still needs improvement. His pocket awareness is questionable, he stares down receivers too much, and he makes some stupefying throwing decisions. But you do not need Aaron Rodgers to win a Super Bowl. Russell Wilson beat Peyton Manning last year and Joe Flacco vs. Colin Kaepernick was the marquee matchup two years ago. Tom Brady has never won a Super Bowl in a year in which he (didn't cheat) threw for over 30 touchdowns or 4,000 yards.

Want to talk about Tannehills weaknesses?
-Decision Maker, needs to be quicker (Improved as year went on in 1st year offense)
-Footwork in the pocket
-Locking down on receivers (Has improved)
-Noticing pressure before the snap and adjusting his blocking accordingly
-Ball Placement, he's accurate but could place the ball better so receivers can catch and run.

links:
http://mancave.cbslocal.com/2015/01/08/ryan-tannehill-2014-in-review/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/06/04/fantasy-depth-chart-review-miami/
https://twitter.com/Dus_Phins/status/583138019315752960/photo/1

The structural integrity of his anus is intact. Medical records showed that the trainer's nose never penetrated. It was a close call.

Strap on night has shown us that the same cannot be said for Brady.

Strap on night is false. The only sex brady does is when he puts his penor in Giseles bergina.

So you are really going to try and base an argument on the Dolphins pass blacking during Tannehill's career being anything other than complete and utter dog shit? Good luck getting me to agree with you on that one. What's Jonathan Martin up to these days? That was Tannehill's studly LT during his rookie and sophomore seasons, at least until midway through season two when someone decided to be a bully and decimate the already bad o-line even more.

The reason I won't come to that conclusion is because I believe Tannehill is capable of throwing a good deep ball. I've watched every snap he's played and I can tell the physical talent is there, the surrounding factors just need to come together. Bringing in Stills and Parker is a great first step, now I'm just hoping the o-line holds up.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything really. That said I've often been a critic of fans deferring blame from players, particularly quarterbacks. Now what elements are you talking about?

Tannehill had arguably the best deep threat in the entire league on his team, so it can't be all on the wide receivers

Sherman dialed up plenty of deep stuff (which helped get him run out of town), so that can't be it

The o-line is mediocre at best sure, but that hasn't stopped Philbin for trying Tanny with deep shots so he must have some faith in them

I harp on the Alex Smith stuff (mainly for laughs) but I remember arguing with Niners' fans about this too -

"He's had a new OC every year!"

"He doesn't have the receivers!"

"The o-line is a mess!"

It was unheard of to think that Smith and the deep ball just didn't mix, until it wasn't. Why would the media bother harping on Tannehill for nothing?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Good news everybody.

New Matthew Stafford commercial. The Detroit Lions and DeAndre Levy agree to a contract extension. The Restoration of the Roar continues while all this nonsensical Tom Brady talk goes on.

Matthew Stafford - BEST DAY EVER

Rand Getlin reports that the extension is for four years. Assuming that's four years on top of the one year Levy had left on his current deal, he will be under contract through the 2019 season

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/8/5/9101831/lions-deandre-levy-contract-extension

Godslay

Banned
JeffDarlington: What's Mariota doing so well? "Throws on point. Spreading balls to different people...gets thru reads. Throws dimes on run & off back foot."

So Colts and Titans competing for fhe division here on out?

Texans and Jags still need a QB.

Good news everybody.

New Matthew Stafford commercial. The Detroit Lions and DeAndre Levy agree to a contract extension. The Restoration of the Roar continues while all this nonsensical Tom Brady talk goes on.

Matthew Stafford - BEST DAY EVER

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/8/5/9101831/lions-deandre-levy-contract-extension

Keep at it Stafford. One day you might get on the same level as Eli Manning as a QB and as an actor when it comes to these type of commercials. Eli Manning's DirectTV commercial was great this year. This Stafford commercial falls flat just like when he goes up against an above .500 team.

Now that Levy has been extended I really think we're going to trade one of our LBs, or perhaps a TE. Tahir Whitehead had a breakout season last year, but with Tulluch beat this season it makes sense to trade him. Assuming of course the Lions are confident in Van Noy....

TE wise I could see us moving Pettigrew.

Arc

Making my first pilgrimage to Gillette this season for the in stadium practice tonight. Mr. Kraft does it as a free gesture to thank all season ticket holders.

Hoping for some one on one time with Jimmy.

Arc

Willie McGinest is being inducted into the Patriots HoF right now.

His contribution to the goal line stand against the Colts is one of my favorite moments in Patriots history.

Spinluck

Lol, gaming side hyping MGSV through the roof, some neat ideas, but best game ever? FFS can't it just be great? Gonna suck when they treat the game like it was nothing special.

Batman was hyped through the roof and the consensus here is right down the middle. Thankfully I kept expectations in line for that one as I was never a huge fan of the other games.

Willie McGinest is being inducted into the Patriots HoF right now.

His contribution to the goal line stand against the Colts is one of my favorite moments in Patriots history.

Faking injuries for a free timeout so Bill can check his cameras was an all time great move!

Congrats Willie you fat fuck!

Top Bottom