• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

MechDX

Michael Signora ‏@NFLfootballinfo · 3m3 minutes ago
Supplemental Draft has ended. Isaiah Battle (StL-5th Rd) only player selected. Others eligible now unrestricted free agents

Congrats Boban and Squicken?

It's way, way to early to make a call on Lombardi. It was an extremely disappointing 2014 season offensively but there were various factors as to why it didn't work out as expected. He's from the school of Vince Lombardi and Sean Peyton (top 3 NFL HC) so I have faith in him.

But the New Orleans Saints style offense he's trying to run suits our team perfectly if implemented correctly (and it will be via our Quarterback).

1.) It was a first year, brand new playbook from Scott Linehan to the Sean Peyton style offense we are trying to run. That means receivers that can stretch the field, combined with athletic tight end(s) who can easily get open against slower linebackers combined with a speedy running back option as a check down.

Basically the offense the New Orleans Saints have run since Sean Peyton, Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles, Jimmy Graham etc. came into town post Hurricane Katrina.

Reggie Bush was disappointing and was supposed to fill that role he and Darren Sproles did for Drew Brees in New Orleans for so many years. I still don't understand why we did not use Theo Riddick more in the season. He's a confident player who proved himself in clutch situations but we did not use him.

This is an offensive system that relies heavily on being able to check down to RBs and no doubt in my mind with Theo Riddick and Ameer Abdullah we'll be able to do that.

2.) The offensive line as a whole went through adjustments last year, not only because of a new offensive coordinator and playbook. It was obvious that Staffords since coming into the NFL,, Dominic Raiola, was on his way out one way or another. The transition to Travis Swanson had probably been planned since he was drafted but Raiola helped speed up the process by stuff he did on and off he field.

The repertoire between a QB and Center is essential and we saw the transition last year, during the playoffs, where our Rookie Center had to start against the Dallas Cowboys because Raiola was suspended. Swanson did a solid job all things considered and the repertoire between him and Stafford, I'm sure, has only grown through training and hanging out this offseason.

3.) We finally have a #3 WR/TE option that we've needed since Titus Young and Nate Burleson in 2011.

Matthew Stafford went from 2012-2014 with Kris Durham as his #2 passing option and that shit still bothers me. Golden Tate is a legit #1 WR on most NFL teams but didn't have a chance to showcase his skills in Seattle.

Even with a #1 and #2 passing option it's still easy for solid defenses to shut down if there is not option at #3. Peyton Mannings teams have always had it, Drew Brees teams have always had it as have Tom Bradys teams (for the most part).

Whether Eric Ebron shows up this year and contributes (and he will IMO), or seasoned vet Lance Moore or second year players TJ Jones, Corey Fuller, Stafford will have a reliable third option when Megatron and Tate are covered as well as explosive check down options in Ameer Abdullah or Theo Riddick.

This offense is going to tear up whoever we face.

Nah, not buying Lombardi bro. You're right it was year one, but the offense didn't even look competent all year except for a couple games against horrible teams. Yes the offensive line woes fucked us on a few fronts as I said (inability to protect QB and forced Ebron/TEs to focus more on blocking that catching). However as I said, his inability to adapt was a huge problem.

How many "great" WRs has Brady had though? He tends to have great TEs and then makes unremarkable WRs look great. Manning has also elevated middling WRs. Same with Brees. Stafford hasn't shown an inability to do this, which is why we have spend so many early round picks on offense instead of doing what GB has done for years (draft dudes late and let a great QB make them serviceable).

I agree that on paper this offense should be really good. Megatron and Tate will be the main targets, but Ebron has no excuse not to blaze LBs this year (IMO less than 450yd would be a failure for him this year).

Definitely agree about being confused about Riddick not playing. IMO this goes back to the unimaginative nature of Lombardi, and Caldwell being stubborn. I've heard it said he runs a meritocracy but I don't get that impression - if it was true, Kellen Moore would have been our #2 QB last year instead of Dan "Run Out Of Bounds In The Endzone" Orlowski, Ryan Broyles would have gotten more play time, and Riddick would have replaced Bush. Riddick lit things up late in the season and still couldn't surpass Bush. Riddick still got a bit over 300yd on 34 receptions though. I could see him and Abdullah both getting 300+ reception yds this season.

Best case scenario, if Stafford puts it together and the offense actually works? 4500-5000yds, 33+ TDs. I think the run game will result in him throwing less, so I'm more apt to believe he won't mimic 2011's numbers. Bottom line: he has everything he needs for an explosive season. And if he fails again without injury problems...you have to admit he's not the guy, Kas.

This is a cool visualization of team success over the years.

http://www.frivoletics.com/team-performances-over-different-spans-of-time/nfl/

Blue = Good
Red = Bad

Best teams each division in my estimation over the years according to this chart:

AFCE = Phins
AFCN = Steelers (Ravens are pretty good over smaller sample size)
AFCS = Colts
AFCW = Broncos

NFCE = Cowboys
NFCN = Packers
NFCS = Nobody
NFCW = 49ers

Worst team imo: Cardinals
Looking at the Dolphins and considering my birth year of 1987... I'm pretty sure I am the curse.

squicken

I'm not a Rams fan, and as a Bradford fan am a little salty they finally addressed the OL only after he got hurt

also

'I'm no Boy Scout, I'm a Gronk'

Rob Gronkowski's new book proves that the Patriots TE is about two things: Football and partying. "Nobody, and I mean nobody parties like my crew, Party Rockers," he writes. "We don't do drugs, that's for people who don't know how to party straight. We don't hurt people or look for any trouble. All we do is get wild, dance like madmen and have a very fun time." (via Boston Herald)

This is a cool visualization of team success over the years.

http://www.frivoletics.com/team-performances-over-different-spans-of-time/nfl/

Blue = Good
Red = Bad

Best teams each division in my estimation over the years according to this chart:

AFCE = Phins
AFCN = Steelers (Ravens are pretty good over smaller sample size)
AFCS = Colts
AFCW = Broncos

NFCE = Cowboys
NFCN = Packers
NFCS = Nobody
NFCW = 49ers

Worst team imo: Cardinals

Broncos: 52.9 win percentage
Raiders: 53.7 win percentage

jakncoke

Banned
squicken switches his team like a woman changes her tampon

#jakfact

Buffalo Bisons went 0-5 in 1927 scoring 8 and giving up 123

Milchjon Alpha Hitler
LyleLanley Beta Hitler
Tom Penny Gamma Hitler
ciaossu Delta HItler
Bread is Sigma Hitler.
Gata is Omega Hitler.

Thanks for not including me friend, you need to come party with me and CDY when we go to Vegas.

(Or you forget about me, in that case you're uninvited and I hope you step in dogshit)

I like Gronk but I'm questioning his party cred.

He's probably one of those guys that takes his shirt off in a crowded club and gets his nasty sweat on everyone. Although I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind that.

Milchjon

XqPckX3.jpg

You're going to fucking jail, Greg

I like Gronk but I'm questioning his party cred.

He's probably one of those guys that takes his shirt off in a crowded club and gets his nasty sweat on everyone. Although I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind that.

Gronk has the body of a Greek god. He's allowed to be Shirtless whenever he pleases. You would be so lucky to be blessed by a drop of his sweat.

Top Bottom