• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Combining lookaways with arm strength, Matthew Stafford rips Lions defense in scrimmage

ALLEN PARK -- The first rule of covering an intrasquad scrimmage during training camp is do not overreact to what you see. The second rule of covering an intrasquad scrimmage during training camp is do not overreact to what you see.

But having said that: What we saw from the first-team offense was straight fire during Saturday's scrimmage in Allen Park.

On quarterback Matthew Stafford's four drives, he threaded one touchdown pass to Calvin Johnson, another to Eric Ebron, and directed the offense to the goal line on a third drive before George Winn was stuffed on a fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line.

Stafford finished 17-of-27 passing with two touchdowns and no interceptions, and was actually better than that. He was 17-of-24 at one point, before misfiring three straight times during situational stuff toward the end of the scrimmage.

His best stretch came on his third drive, when several penalties should have derailed the possession -- except, Stafford simply wouldn't miss. He completed 9-of-10 passes on the drive, four of which went to Ebron, including a 7-yard score over the middle.

In live action, Stafford might have been sacked on the play. Still, the refs did not blow the whistle to kill the play, and his patience in the pocket paid off with a bullet through the seam of the defense.

All told, it was an impressive performance from the seventh-year quarterback, and a possible sign he -- and this offense -- are really maturing after they fell to just 20.1 points per game last season.

At least that's what the defense thinks. You know, a defense that ranked second overall in the league last year -- but was chewed up Saturday morning by Stafford.

"He's making some crazy, crazy throws out here," safety Glover Quin said.

"He's playing some of the best ball I've seen him play since I've been here," safety James Ihedigbo added.

"He's got the strongest arm I've ever seen," cornerback Darius Slay said. "He guns it. I don't understand how he still has a rotator cuff, because he throws that thing."

The thing is, Stafford has had prodigious arm strength for ages. That's what made him the No. 1 QB recruit coming out of Highland Park High School, and the No. 1 overall draft pick coming out of Georgia, and the fastest quarterback in NFL history to 20,000 yards.

But he hasn't always been great in his pro career because of everything else -- and that's maybe the biggest difference thus far in 2015. Everything else.

Stafford has talked extensively about how much more comfortable he feels in this offense in Year 2, and it's allowed him to develop things like his lookaways. Several defensive players have noted Stafford's done a much better job there, which has given them fits.

"That's something that takes a little bit of time for guys, specifically when they're learning a new offense," receiver Lance Moore said. "But this being his second year, and getting a lot of reps each and every day, I think he's starting to learn and understand those little, tiny things."

Moore was the beneficiary of one such lookaway during Saturday's scrimmage. It was third-and-21 and Moore was well-covered over the middle of the field, but Stafford tracked his eyes away from Moore to move the defense out of the way. That opened a tight window, and he did not miss it.

Stafford turned a third-and-21 into a first-and-goal from the 10, and hit Ebron for a touchdown a couple plays later. Those are winning plays in a real game.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/08/combining_lookaways_with_arm_s.html

tempDET_9534--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

mr2xxx

Banned
Guess I missed Mech! Anyways, here is Our rookie RB Matt jones throwing a safety like a rag doll.

CL1izPlUAAAy3nv.jpg

Trevor Matich ✔@TMatich
Matt Jones big run wide left. Sought out safety at end, threw forearm to chin, slammed him to ground. Beast. #HTTR #Redskins #RedskinsRVA

‏@jamisonhensley
#Ravens LB Terrell Suggs gave a jab at struggling Matt Schaub after he overthrew his receivers: "Hey Matt, your guys are the guys in purple"

That's my new backup

zfqk25E.gif

Godslay

Banned
barry bonds-esque

Barry's grew outwards and became more rounded. His jaw also became wider. Ended up looking like a fully inflated basketball. After he retired his head deflated quite a bit.

Peyton's grew upward and became more cylindrical. Like taking a slightly deflated football, and filling it up again. I imagine that it will continue to inflate as he ages.

As you can see the head shapes are completely different. Barry's points towards HGH abuse, the other is a biological condition. Peyton is basically a cripple.

Barry's grew outwards and became more rounded. His jaw also became wider. Ended up looking like a fully inflated basketball. After he retired his head deflated quite a bit.

Peyton's grew upward and became more cylindrical. Like taking a slightly deflated football, and filling it up again. I imagine that it will continue to inflate as he ages.

As you can see the head shapes are completely different. Barry's points towards HGH abuse, the other is a biological condition. Peyton is basically a cripple.

I don't know why but this seriously cracked me up

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I wanna see a Mech vs kas battle.

Me and Mech used to battle over GameCube vs. Xbox back in the day of Cloudchaser/Modojo forums in The War Room. "MS doesn't stand a chance in the video game market", I would say. "No way Nintendo loses." Turns out he was right and I was wrong. I ended up getting an Xbox and my first online games on Xbox Live and Mech Assualt were with him and some others from the forum.

What causes the shine

Top Bottom