• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Flacco also had an all-time playoff performance and carried that offense in the playoffs
with his ability to convince the refs to throw flags

Russell did neither. He played solidly overall and made some clutch plays, which is generally what he has done his entire time here.

Now, if he goes out and throws for 5000 yards, 50 TDs, and we win the Super Bowl again? I could see him getting a Flacco-esque deal. But I'm not really expecting that.

I hope for your sake, and for years of keeping the Niners down, that you're right, but it's more similar than you'd hope. I'd he asks for Flacco money, are you going to let him walk?

What else were they realistically going to do? They have too much talent to just throw it away on giving McCarron a shot out of the blue.

This. The QB market is weird because you can't just base it on how good Cincinatti Red is compared to say Peyton or Rogers because the Bengals can't get those guys. It's not like they are choosing to give him all this money (which probably won't even be that much in the long run) instead of Manning or Brady. The 2nd tier of QBs is always going to seem "overpaid" because of this.

Will Eagles' Kelly Crack now that Honeymoon is Over?

When Chip Kelly was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles last season, few fans or “experts” knew exactly what to expect, which on the surface seemed like a good thing for the first time NFL coach.

In just one calendar year things have drastically changed, as expectations are through the roof in Philly. Even though it’s early and many fans still believe in him, it won’t take long for Kelly to realize his honeymoon with the fan base and media is over.

There were many rumors about Kelly, the man and coach, before he came to town, but not many of his alleged character defects were focused on last season -- because he was winning.

As much as the diehard Eagles’ fans want to believe this team is special and has a legitimate chance of winning the Super Bowl, the reality is they don’t.

So, if nothing else this season, the whole world will finally get a chance to meet the real Chip Kelly. When the going gets tough this season and Kelly doesn’t have the first-year coach pink cloud to protect him, will the nauseating love and trust in Kelly be the same in Philadelphia?

Kelly has a tough road ahead of him this season. The Eagles have a brutal first place schedule, they will be playing without star wide receiver DeSean Jackson, who Kelly ran out of town, and the team will not have stud offensive lineman Lane Johnson for four games.

These are all the ingredients for the perfect storm of intense media pressure on Kelly this season. The biggest ingredient will be the running off of Jackson. This has been a never ending topic of discussion in Philadelphia since Jackson was let go.

Now that camp has started, Kelly and Jackson have taken little jabs at each other through the media. But the pressure isn’t on Jackson, he is gone, even though it’s hard to tell with all the media coverage he still gets in Philly. The pressure is on Kelly.

Very few, if any, members of the fan base or media will come out and admit it right now, but many are waiting to pounce on the coach for letting Jackson go for nothing to a team the Birds have to play twice a season. For anyone to believe the media and fans don’t have a hair trigger on this topic would be very naïve.

There also is the possibility Kelly’s offense won’t be as effective as it was last season. Even if Kelly has a better season calling the shots, it is very hard to imagine the Eagles catching lighting in a bottle again.

Even with the flaws the Eagles have, the team still has a good chance at winning the very weak NFC East this season, but winning the NFC East won’t be good enough.

Although not winning the division will show Kelly exactly what he got himself into taking over the reins in one of the toughest cities in the NFL, when the fans and media are ripping his every move.

It’s going to be a struggle either way, it’s going to be a dog fight for the 2014 Eagles to get back to even where they finished last season (it’s ok to use that metaphor now that Vick is gone.)

The biggest concern coming into camp should not be who will replace Jackson; it should be ‘can Nick Foles play close to as good as he did last season.’ Foles may be able to, he may be much better than anyone ever expected, but what if he’s not? Who do the Eagles have on the roster that can come in and be a legitimate threat at quarterback – Mark Sanchez? If anyone answered that question with a yes, please go back to the “butt fumble” game.

Even the fans rocking the Kelly Green sun glasses have to realize there will be many more struggles this season – right?

So, when the struggles come and the pressure of the media is beating down Kelly’s door, will he finally show his true colors?

Will he grind it out and prove he belongs in the NFL, or will this very private, arrogant, control freak coach crack when he has to stand at the podium and answer the tough questions that will be launched at him?

Nothing said above about Kelly is a secret or is intended to bash the man; it is known that he is a very confident, borderline cocky, private coach, a coach who doesn’t like to talk to the media. Unfortunately for Kelly he will not be able to avoid the media scrutiny if the team doesn’t perform better than they did last season.

What Kelly will realize this season is he was given a pass last season. Eagles’ fans were so desperate for a different voice; a change from the absolutely boring Andy Reid that any coach who came in and had the slightest bit of success would have been given a pass regardless last season.

Even though winning is a cure all in sports, that love, that leeway, which is given when a team wins in Philadelphia can and will be taken back as fast as it was given; all someone has to do is ask Ryan Howard.

With the Phillies having another horrid season, the 76ers in “tank mode” for the next few seasons and the Flyers lacking a true identity, the passionate Philadelphia fan base needs and expects the Eagles to surpass last season’s surprising NFC East title and win now.

If, rather when, the Eagles struggle this season, Philadelphia will finally get the chance to see who they have at the helm of the team. This also is a huge season in the sense of whether Kelly can and wants to take the pressure that comes with coaching in Philadelphia. The honeymoon is over and this season both Kelly and Philadelphia will find out if this is a marriage that will last, or one that will end in an ugly divorce.

When Kelly was hired by the Eagles’ brass they knew there would always be the possibility of him running back to the college game, but it could come a lot faster than anyone expected if the Eagles crap out this season. Kelly will not be able to duck questions, hide out, or give the media and fans little to no explanation like he does now.

A very scary possibility for the Eagles is if Kelly would bail and head back to the college game. If for some reason Kelly does leave, it will set the Eagles franchise back many seasons. This is not to say he will, or is going to leave; this is just a statement of a fact. Since the Eagles handed total control of the team over to Kelly, letting him run the team his way, as well as bring in the players that fit his system, if he leaves any time soon it will cripple the franchise for a long time.

With the bar set so high this season Kelly doesn’t stand a chance, which isn’t good for a coach who doesn’t like to be questioned or even bothered by the media, or for a city so desperate for a Super Bowl champion.

http://profootballspot.com/_/nfl/nf...491?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

My god this guy hates Chip. Cdy did you write this?

Pimpwerx

kdXzyJf.gif
I don't blame him. I think Alex Smith is better than Andy Dalton. If only just. PEACE.

MechDX

I hope for your sake, and for years of keeping the Niners down, that you're right, but it's more similar than you'd hope. I'd he asks for Flacco money, are you going to let him walk?

I said the same earlier. Wilson and Flacco are similar and Flaccos contract will be used by Russells agent.

Flacco just fucking it up for everyone.

cdyhybrid

Depends on this year. And this is just my opinion and what I would like to see, of course - I have no idea what they'll actually do when it comes to anything football related.

If he has a huge statistical year and we win the Super Bowl? Give him the Flacco deal.

If he has a decent statistical year and we get pretty far in the playoffs but don't win the Super Bowl? Give him a deal somewhere between team-killer Flacco and team-friendly Kaep. (this is what I'm personally expecting to happen)

If he has a down year? Give him a Kaep deal with a nice bonus for winning the Super Bowl.

I thought Chip was actually a pretty good coach, with the caveat that it'll be pretty easy to do well when Nike is buying you whatever high school recruits you want.

The source of my hatred for Oregon is, and always will be, their awful AWFUL fanbase.

eznark

Banned
I said the same earlier. Wilson and Flacco are similar and Flaccos contract will be used by Russells agent.

Flacco just fucking it up for everyone.

Except it hasn't fucked up any other contracts to this point. And you have contracts like Dalton and Kap that are keeping the market tamped down a bit.

I'd anticipate Wilson getting a similar deal to Kap just slightly higher; with an AAV of $25m and $35m guaranteed. 6 years.

Unlike the Kap deal I doubt the Seahawks will be able to structure it quite as favorably as the 49ers were, so it will be more expensive in real terms (i.e. it will be harder to work around it).

Flacco's SB regular season:

59.7 comp % 3817 YDS 22 TDs 10 INTs

Wilson's SB regular season:

63.1 comp % 3357 YDS 26 TDs 9 INTs + 500 yds on the ground

Both won the Superbowls

Bro, you're in denial, but when they look back at the numbers, the Superbowl victory, and his age/marketability in Seattle.....it all adds up to Flacco Contract Shit Town....population, Welcome, brother!

Pimpwerx

How do Browns fans feel about the Manziel push?

I've said for a while he's not going to be good at the NFL level, but it looks like he's getting a starter push anyway. He can make the throws, but his decision making is suspect, and he's too small. As good as those SEC defenses were (which is not very good the last couple of years), he's now playing nothing but all Americans now. The biggest and fastest of them. Plus, dude has a propensity for hucking it into coverage. Evans bailed him out of so many situations. I'm not sure he has anyone with that clear of a mismatch anymore.

He was fun to watch in college, but I don't see him having a chance in the pros. Every update I hear on the radio is that he's receiving lots of praise, while they read off miserable sounding stats. Am I off? PEACE.

cdyhybrid

Both won the Superbowls

Bro, you're in denial, but when they look back at the numbers, the Superbowl victory, and his age/marketability in Seattle.....it all adds up to Flacco Contract Shit Town....population, Welcome, brother!

Come on. You know damn well Flacco did not get that contract because of the regular season.

eznark

Banned

Both won the Superbowls

You do realize Russell Wilson is 5 years younger than Flacco, right?

MechDX

Except it hasn't fucked up any other contracts to this point. And you have contracts like Dalton and Kap that are keeping the market tamped down a bit.

I'd anticipate Wilson getting a similar deal to Kap just slightly higher; with an AAV of $25m and $35m guaranteed. 6 years.

Unlike the Kap deal I doubt the Seahawks will be able to structure it quite as favorably as the 49ers were, so it will be more expensive in real terms (i.e. it will be harder to work around it).

Kaep and Dalton don't have Super Bowl card to play. And that is a freakin ace in this game. Wilson is getting more than both of QB's you mentioned.

And if they repeat.....

cdyhybrid

So I just found out that the starting QB for my high school's football team this season is named Ryder Kuhns.

Also, here's a small image of their practice field.

SBv6jN7.jpg

eznark

Banned
Proud of you guys for talking football all day today. Well done.

(notice gata was mia. Guess we know who the shithead is)

jakncoke

Banned
So the Lions picked up Baldwin on waivers:

FINAL PIECE ADDED. SUPER BOWL!

#restoretheroar2014

Baldwin 6'4 frame and 4.3 40 will be an excellent target for Matthew. Touchdowns will scored, yards will be gained. 54 tds , 5800 yards passing All in the greatest 8-8 season ever to play the game.

Spinluck

Got into a car accident 2 hours ago. Ford explorer changed lanes then slammed on the brakes. Couldn't stop in time. Driver was about 17. My beautiful car is a write off for sure.

Tore my right patella, will need surgery. Weeeee

Sorry to hear that dude. Hope everything gets better.

With people like Gata allowed to drive down here I always have to be extra vigilant on the road.

Top Bottom