• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Greg

Anyway, since I obviously wasn't in the offseason threads because frankly, you guys get a little weird without football and cause the threads move way to fast for offseason, which team did squicken, squicken to this year?
what do you mean? he has always been a fan of the Browns!

Sounds like Nick Fairley has regained a lot of the weight he lost during the off season, and was demoted to 2nd team reps today.
Fairley was visibly irritable during practice, too. He isolated himself on the sideline when the ones were on the field, which is unusual. He, like every other player, usually stands with teammates on the sideline -- often with other positionmates.

Fairley did not respond to reporters who asked for comment as he left practice.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/08/nick_fairley_demoted_during_mo.html

Caldwell wasn't happy with the d-line performance against the Browns and made it known, I guess Fairley didn't respond well. Good. Feels nice having a coach who holds people accountable and demands the best.

I really think we're going to lose Suh and Fairley this offseason. If Suh wants 18mil a year (which seems to be the case) he can go elsewhere, fuck that. And I'm tired of Fairley wasting his huge talent. Maybe he'll put things together this season and act like a professional, but I doubt it.

The freed up cap space will be nice. Maybe we can get a decent secondary next season.

Konka

Banned
This thread needs Alex.

tumblr_n5jmkxkimF1qan1oso1_250.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Sounds like Nick Fairley has regained a lot of the weight he lost during the off season, and was demoted to 2nd team reps today.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/08/nick_fairley_demoted_during_mo.html

Caldwell wasn't happy with the d-line performance against the Browns and made it known, I guess Fairley didn't respond well. Good. Feels nice having a coach who holds people accountable and demands the best.

I really think we're going to lose Suh and Fairley this offseason. If Suh wants 18mil a year (which seems to be the case) he can go elsewhere, fuck that. And I'm tired of Fairley wasting his huge talent. Maybe he'll put things together this season and act like a professional, but I doubt it.

The freed up cap space will be nice. Maybe we can get a decent secondary next season.

Whoa, I was wrong about Fairley slacking during the preseason. It was known he gained some weight but that was because he had lost to much weight over the offseason and the coaches asked him to gain weight. Glad to see Coach Caldwell holding guys accountable.

I still think you have to sign Suh for whatever he wants in the offseason, Let Fairley walk, sign Suh and draft another DT.

So, some quick thoughts on the Steelers/Giants preseason game.

O

Gradkowski looked like ass. Jones looked a million times better than last preseason.

Bell and Blount ran hard and effectively. Could portend good things. Dri even got a couple of carries. Don't think much of the rest of the rb's, possible they'll all get cut.

Really nice route on that corner from Wheaton. Bryant worries the hell out of me. I'd cut Moye tomorrow. Sick of him teasing us with his not-quite-good-enough talent.

O-line was iffy. Saved by the backs on that first series. Everyone not named Pouncey or DeCastro fucked up at some point. Thought Adams looked alright. Whimper was a dumpster fire.

D

Cam Thomas and Stephon Tuitt were solid. Heyward got destroyed on that long td. TonDMC is big and hard to move. Think he makes the team just to hold the point on goal line and short yardage situations.

Spence looked great. Super happy for him. The entirety of the inside linebacker group looked pretty good. So'oto even looked decent and Molls had 9 tackles. Those guys have no hope to make the team.

Happy to see Jarvis get a sack on a non-speed rush move. Moats looked solid. If Howard Jones can keep finding loose footballs, he'll make the team.

Shamarko looked great and I have no damned idea why he doesn't play in front of Will Allen. Allen had two pretty bad plays in the game. Didn't see camp phenom Jordan Dangerfield do much.

Isiah Green is garbage.
Agree all the way. Starting Inside backers will assuredly be Shazier and Timmons, with V Will and Spence as backup, barring some insane injury.

What i've heard about Shamarko is they're bringing him on slowly on purpose so he can step in for Troy and get the start when he's done. I'm assuming that's going to be next season the Way Sharknado is playing.

Mount McCullers...c'mon Mount McCullers. Next to Heyward and Tuitt....

....Though not this season. I liked what I saw from Tuitt but he got turned too easily. He was in position for a TFL more than once but got guided out of the way. Needs to stay square.

Can't help but wonder what Free Agent RB the Steelers will get after they cut all those scrubs.

This may sound stupid but i'm way excited for Bryant now when I so wasn't before. He has talent. AJ Green like talent. That said he could still be a Sweed size bust, but from what I saw he was a raw pile of clay with crazy potential.

jakncoke

Banned
Never said it wasn't legit, its just hard to understand when you don't know how it feels and I hope I never do.

Think of your worst day. Then have fester into a personal demon stalking you. But instead of a it going away after a night sleep, its there waiting for you keeping you down, day after day. Moments of happiness get further apart and more brief. Like a sand trap just sucking you in deeper and deeper.

Patriots7

Who cares? Dobson and Easley got cleared although I don't care if they cut Boyce or Bolden for Tyms. I just don't see them carrying 7 or 8 WR's since Slater is automatic for his special teams.
I do?
I'd like to be excited about our WR corps.
Amendola and Edelman are great and all, but LaFell and Thimpkins don't inspire hope for me.
Dobson has a long way to go before I stop regretting us choosing him over Keenan Allen.

I like Matthew Slater, but not at the expense of a more versatile player, and for someone who loves versatility, I've always wondered why BB keeps Slater around.

Whoa, I was wrong about Fairley slacking during the preseason. It was known he gained some weight but that was because he had lost to much weight over the offseason and the coaches asked him to gain weight. Glad to see Coach Caldwell holding guys accountable.

I still think you have to sign Suh for whatever he wants in the offseason, Let Fairley walk, sign Suh and draft another DT.

Fairley looked huge on Saturday, I was pretty surprised given all the stories about him losing weight. As I said when he reported to camp in shape: you can't trust a guy who only shows up when it's time a earn a contract. He hasn't given a shit about his body or play since he got in the league, then suddenly lost 30 points this summer? Nah, can't truss it.

Suh is gone breh. Gerald McCoy won't get 18mil, why the hell would we pay Suh that? Let him walk and better the team. You can't win with max contracts given to three players.

suh wouldn't necessarily cripple the lions at that salary but if you give him that salary you basically have to count on rookies in important positions performing at a high level. it's just not realistic to expect. i don't think suh is a game-changing defensive player that you can afford to pay that amount for

Farooq

Banned
There is only one poor man's Welker and his name is Cole Motherfucking Beasley.

XZ1-XF_NhSBI9ntvj5nn8Ua-6nKGK6X6SN8gzFSRhY0o5wIPAB55Kgv3yKvBiNGv064wFgDWQzlFQKuqWJEjD-UmJPhlxdvQ0_nY6hhPReiOaCBrAHFz335hTn1OjjW2S5M

rolle1.gif

One of PFF's secret superstars of 2014.

Look at how he wins his routes.

e9017feae727821eaf0387d14d2553fd.gif

8259388bf2aae261104dda6373e1fd95.gif

Last year's game winning drive against the Viking's demonstrates Beasley's effectiveness and importance.

First image, 4th Q - 1:35 - 2nd & 4 - DAL 27

Beasley is in the left slot with Dez split out at the "X" on the bottom of the image. The concept of this play has all three inside receivers (Witten, Beasley, Harris) sitting in the zones at nearly the same depth. Romo will quickly hit the open receiver who has an opportunity to run after the catch for some more yards.

You can see the Vikings LBs threatening to double A-gap blitz. These LBs are also usually responsible for the shallow zones. Beasley can get to his spot before the LB(Greenway) can get back to him. You also have the safety bluffing that he will take away the short routes pre-snap. However the safety's hips betray his true intentions, they are open and the safety is bailing to make sure Bryant can't get open deep. Beasley runs his route, sits, catches the ball and runs for some extra yardage.

u068LKe.gif

Second image, 4th Q - 1:30 - 2nd & 10 - DAL 45

The Vikings show a 6 man rush but only bring 5, Tony audibles for Witten to stay in protection. On the left, there is a route combination being worked by both Beasley and Dez. Beasley has burned the Vikings before on some underneath stuff, so the Vikings defenders sellout on Beasley's route and Tony's pump fake. This leaves Dez(running a 10 yard square in) to run right past the defenders with Tony hitting him in stride.

Dez.gif

Third image, 4th Q - 1:00 - 1st & 10 - MIN 21

Flipped formation (of the previous play, personnel grouping S01), Dez and Beasley are on the other side. They run a very basic route combo, Cole runs a quick out, while Bryant runs a fade. Doesn't matter how basic the combo is because the mix of Bryant's ability to make a play over the top and Beasley's quickness underneath are perfect together. Anyway, the Vikings have an LB on Beasley playing Beasley's inside shoulder...and it is not even fair. If the defender over Beasley in the slot plays his inside shoulder, he will plant his foot and drive to the outside every time, and he will be open every time. Beasley sets up the Cowboys offense near the goal line, and the offense eventually scores the game winning TD.

1AvhIVs.gif

There were some other plays on that drive but it doesn't matter because they didn't feature Cole Beasley.

Top Bottom