• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

JABEE

There's something about being a stand-up comic and depression/addiction. So many greats die too young. So many lives ruined.

KaYotiX

Banned
How fucking bad does your life need to be to end it? I can't fathom killing myself... Yes I know depression can be bad but Geez.

Guess I'll never understand.

Such a sad sad day.

Bread

Banned
How fucking bad does your life need to be to end it? I can't fathom killing myself... Yes I know depression can be bad but Geez.

Nope dont try to understand, it's not something you can know about unless you've been there.

Godslay

Banned
Sucks Robin Williams died. Was a part of my childhood for sure. He was even a Broncos Cheerleader at one point.

inJ1SezLtHzFd.jpg

RIP

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
There's something about being a stand-up comic and depression/addiction. So many greats die too young. So many lives ruined.

I was talking it over with a buddy and we both agreed that there was a slight hint of sadness behind his comedy.

I think when you combine that with years and years and years of drugs and alcohol, that's a hard thing to fight against.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I never managed to meet him directly, but Robin Williams and his daughter Zelda sat directly behind me at the Episode 3 employee screening. He's as hilarious and awesome in person, this news really sucks. :/

Such a sad sad day.
Depression is a legit disorder, dude. That's all it amounts to most of the time.

And this is bullshit. :(

ShaneB

Such a sad sad day.

It can't be explained. It's hard, and I've been there plenty, and still am sometimes. It's not something that is so simple to diagnose. =( Just scary stuff because it's all on the inside.

gutshot

RIP Robin Williams

Depression is a bitch. My wife's best friend is currently in the middle of a very dark depression right now. She's already tried to commit suicide twice, including jumping off of a bridge. At this point, it doesn't look like she will ever come out of it. Society just does not do enough to help mentally ill people.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
RIP Robin Williams

Depression is a bitch. My wife's best friend is currently in the middle of a very dark depression right now. She's already tried to commit suicide twice, including jumping off of a bridge. At this point, it doesn't look like she will ever come out of it. Society just does not do enough to help mentally ill people.

I agree that society as a whole doesn't do enough to combat mental illness.

Sadly, Robin Williams had all the money in the world and still couldn't beat it so I'm not sure what kind of solution is out there. Or a more positive way of looking at it might be that Robin Williams lived way longer than he normally would have without treatment.

I also wasn't kidding about Jim Carrey. There are probably numerous others if I sat down and thought about it.

JABEE

Was depression and suicide cause by depression as prevalent pre-20th century?
Sometimes it's interesting to think about how the trauma experienced by generations of people have impacted their offspring like WWI and WWII vets experiencing PTSD and trauma-related mental health issues.

I also listened to a Hardcore History on how children were abused throughout history until very recently. Abused like pushing them up chimney's and dragging their unclothed bodies against the chimney walls to clean things. Taking them to public hangings and executions with a whip in order to drive home the moral point of the hanging.

I'm not sure about historical suicide rates though.

I was able to save my ex from depression,(she tried to kill herself several times before we met and a few times during) wasn't easy believe me but she's perfectly happy now and we have stayed pretty close friends. Depression is very serious and if anyone tells you they are feeling down or depressed you better take it seriously.

RIP Robin Williams

Mental health in general is very frustrating. One of my closest friends has been struggling with his mental health for years. They had him on a larger dose of klonopin than they give people with severe seizures. He got so fed up with all of the side effects of the drugs and the fact that nothing would work that he's been trying for a year to get off all of them. What they don't tell you is that some people have extreme chemical dependence issues on benzos. He's had DTs, insomnia, general sluggishness, inability to focus, etc for a year and a half. Dude literally gets like four hours of sleep a night, and it's been that way for over a year. All of this because he had extreme anxiety. He'd get panic attacks over nothing. He saw a person he knew from another job on the sidewalk and they said hi and he had a panic attack.

I did everything I could to help him, he worked at the same company with me and I convinced my bosses to give him a six month leave of absence and let him have his job back when he came back. When he came back I let him live in my house for free for months just so he wouldn't have to worry about bills. I can't think of anything else to do anymore. A month or so ago he quit working again (I got him the job about six years ago). He quit a six figure job where he could set his own hours and pick his own projects and we never put him on any single project with a deadline, let him work at his own pace. There is just absolutely nothing that can help people with mental illness sometimes, and it's super frustrating.

Talon

Girlfriend did a psych rotation a few months ago, and it was interesting to hear about it. They had multiple patients who were about to get discharged ask, "What do I tell my family/co-workers/etc.?"

The stigma is mighty strong.
Was depression and suicide cause by depression as prevalent pre-20th century?
It was completely undiagnosed.

Also, let's remember that you had a good chance to: 1. Die as an infant. 2. Die from a pandemic. 3. Die from starvation. 4. Die horribly. pre-20th century.

Konka

Banned
Girlfriend did a psych rotation a few months ago, and it was interesting to hear about it. They had multiple patients who were about to get discharged ask, "What do I tell my family/co-workers/etc.?"

The stigma is mighty strong.

It was completely undiagnosed.

Also, let's remember that you had a good chance to: 1. Die as an infant. 2. Die from a pandemic. 3. Die from starvation. 4. Die horribly. pre-20th century.

Sure, but it feels to me like the spread of 24 hour news, social networking, etc hasn't exactly had a positive effect on depression. But of course it's probably just that its more reported.

Talon

Sure, but it feels to me like the spread of 24 hour news, social networking, etc hasn't exactly had a positive effect on depression. But of course it's probably just that its more reported.
The APA estimates that about half of clinically depressed persons reach out for help and that less than half of that amount are getting the care they need.

Not to sidetrack but mental healthcare in the US was gutted back in the 80s - and, to be honest, our understanding back then was pretty dull considering that was probably Volume II when we're on Volume V at this point.

Top Bottom