• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

The dream is dead

@NFLCharean 5m
Jerry Jones on rumors of Raiders talking with San Antonio: I don't make a lot out of it.
Jerry also mentioned how important San Antonio is to the Cowboys.

ShaneB

Between the two of them they are the backbone of flavor of food from just about every culture on the planet.

Yes, a valid point, but I'm thinking more about the entire plate I suppose. When I have Meat Option X, it's usually being paired with broccoli or spinach :)

BigAT

Where's the Patriot Hernandez shirt credo?

prison_jumpsuit1.gif

MechDX

What to watch for 2014:
Houston Texans

Hopes were high heading into 2013. The Texans were picked by many to make a deep playoff run possibly head to the Super Bowl. Then the proverbial wheels fell off the bus. Matt Schaub went on to set a record 4 pick sixes in 4 consecutive games, the HC Gary Kubiak suffered a minor stroke during a SNF game, defensive leader Brian Cushing suffered a season ending freak injury for the second year in a row and numerous other starters on both sides of the ball went out. With great disaster comes great change: Enter Bill O Brien. Brien quickly fired the entire staff except for defensive line coach Bill Kollar and special teams coach Bob Ligashesky (fuck you Marciano!).

OFFENSE

The conservative ZBS scheme run for years by Gary Kubiak is now gone. O Brien brings in a more Patriots like attacking offense that will adapt to attack defenses at their weak points. Multiple tight end sets and a strong running game will anchor this new philosophy.

QB – Schaub was sent to the Raiders for a 6th round draft pick (lol) and TJ Yates was traded to the Falcons. Ryan Fitzpatrick was signed as a FA. Case Keenum was retained and Tom “Nic Cage” Savage was drafted in the 4th round. Fitz has already been named the opening day starter. While many laugh Fitz will not be asked to go out and win games single handedly but to be more or a game manager. In his defense Fitzgerald has never been on a team with as many skilled position players with talent. Keenum and Savage will battle for the back up job. From reports Savage has a gun for an arm but is lacking in reading and reacting quick enough. Pretty much the same goes for Keenum.

RB – Arian Foster returned excited after his offseason back surgery. He will be used more as a receiver out of the backfield which is something Kubiak got away from in 2013. Signed Andre Brown as a FA from the Giants, retained Dennis Johnson and drafted Alfered Blue from LSU. Blue has already impressed at camp and may overtake Brown as the #2 back behind Foster.

FB – Jay Prosch was drafted out of Auburn. Big, heavy hitting FB who fits what you need from that position in this offense. Also look for some of the TE’s to line up in this spot at times to cause mismatches for the defense.

TE – Long time TE staple Owen Daniels is gone. Texans retained FA Garrett Graham to go along side 2nd year TE Ryan Griffin, FA Zach Potter and drafted CJ Fiedorowicz from Iowa. BOB will use multiple TE sets to help crete mismatches with DB’s. Graham had a good season last year and Griffin really came on towards the end of the season. CJ is a big guy who was said to have under used catching ability at Iowa. He is a BIG guy who loves to block and has been referred to as “Baby Gronk” by many. Potter would make the team as a primarily blocking TE only.

WR – What was once the teams worst depth area after Andre Johnson has slowly evolved into a strength. Andre Hopkins showed many times last season why he was taken in the first round: Large hands, a great leaping ability and spectacular over the shoulder catches. Look for Devier Posey to have a possible break out season after he showed flashes at the end of 2012 before his achilles gave out. The slot WR position will be filled be either Keyshawn Martin or Nike Thomas. Look for rookies Uzoma Nwachukwu and Travis Labhart to also push for the slot position.

OL – What was once considered one of the best in the league fell to a shadow of its former self in 2013. Fortunately the anchors of those great lines still remain: Duane Brown (LT) and Chris Myers ( C ). The left side guard is currently being manned by 3rd year player Ben Jones. Xavier Sua’Filo was drafted in the top of the 2nd to man that spot but he missed OTA’s due to NFL regulations on graduating seniors. The right side is an entirely different story. RT Derrick Newton ( aka Hologram) was abysmal in pass protection in 2013. Turns out he was nursing an injury and has since dropped 20 pounds and has looked good in TC so far. RG should be manned by 3rd year Brandon Brooks but he has been on NFI since TC started but should return soon. David Quessenberry was expected to provide good depth with his versatility but he was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer at the start of TC. (#DQSTRONG!) Veteran Tyson Clabo was signed this past week to fill the depth chart but obviously is far behind due to no OTA’s

DEFENSE

The defense basically was “JJ Watt and some other dudes”. Wade Philips played an attacking , one gap, always blitzing and “What the fuck is a zone defense!?!?” scheme and is now gone. Romeo Crennel and Mike Vrabel bring in a sound scheme to maximize strengths and create mismatches.

DL – Well I could just say “JJ Watt biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch” but then we would just be the 2013 Texans defense. The obvious lack of talent here was addressed via free agency and the draft. Jeoffery Pagan and Louis Nix III were drafted to beef up the d line. Ricardo Matthews and Jerrell Powe were brought in for their size as well to more fit Romeos two gap, 3-4 scheme. Both Powe and Matthews have looked good in TC this far and Pagan has impressed with his brute strength attacking the run and could push incumbent Jarred Crick for the starting DE spot opposite Watt.

OLB – Obviously this spot was addressed with the first overall pick, Jedaveon Clowney. Clowney is an athletic freak who has already shown in TC the burst off the line that will give offensive coordinators fits in the future. Opposite him is Whitney Mercilus. The 3rd year, former 1st round pick has underperformed in his first two years. Playing opposite both Watt and Clowney should give him ample opportunities to prove worthy of his draft slot. Right now you can slot OLB Brooks Reed at both OLB and ILB. He has been working in both positions on the defense along with Justin Tuggle which gives the Texans versatility to create the earlier mentioned mismatches. Brian Cushing should return soon from the season ending leg injury of last year. Cushing the is the leader of this defense and both times he has gone down for the season the defense severely lacked. He should be backed up by Akeem Dent, who the Texans received in the TJ yates trade and UDFA rookie Max Bullough who has impressed the coaching staff so far in TC.

S – Kendrick Lewis was brought in as a FA from KC due to his knowledge of Romeos defense. Right now he is penciled in as a starter alongside 2nd year player DJ Swearinger. DJ has a good rookie season but made obvious mental mistakes which cost the team at times. He has already impressed O Brien who has publicly stated that DJ needs to step up and be a leader on this defense. Both of them should be backed up by FA pick up from Miami, Chris Clemons and special teams standout Elbert Mack.

CB – This unit took a lot of heat from the media for last season collapse but ask yourself: how good are any corners in this league that are given no pass rush and allows QBs to run wild for more than 4 seconds before making a pass? Returners Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson return. Joseph now admits to being fully healed from a lingering foot issue. Jackson is one of the not well known stars in this league. One moment Jackson will completely shut down Calvin Johnson for an entire half but the next game he will get a dumbass penalty flag for not turning his head. Its put up or shut up time for 3rd year slot CB Brandon Harris. He will be pushed by 2nd year, UDFA AJ Bouye who last season was impressing before an injury in TC. He has looked great in OTA’s and TC this year. Draft pick Andre Hal has also looked good in TC this year. With a good pass rush this is a pretty damn good secondary.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Texans have Shane Lechler at punter. No problems.
Kicker is another story. Incumbent Randy “Beercan” Bullock returns. At the start of last season Randy was terrible. He got some of his groove back as the season went on but still not as confident in him as I am with Lechler. Rookie Chris Boswell from Rice was brought in to challenge for the position.

WRAP UP
It’s a new day in Houston. Gone is the complete lack of accountability that went along with the Kubiak era. Players no longer get their position because of where they were drafted or if the HC likes them. O Brien has preached from the start that every person on this team will earn their spot or they won’t be here. He let fan favorites Owen Daniel, Antonio Smith and Danieal Manning walk. The new attitude and swagger that O’Brien brings in is refreshing and much needed. Yeah they didn’t address QB as early in the draft as some wanted but they didn’t let team needs outweigh the best pick available. After 2-14 you should have nothing but optimism as there isn’t much anywhere else to go but up. #BOB #VRABEL #ROMEO biiiiiiiitch!!

@alexmarvez
Bad news from @dallascowboys camp: DE Demarcus Lawrence just carted off with right lower leg injury. Wasn't putting weight on it

Dragon

Banned
I needa make a twitch so ppl can help me. Im
getting fucked up

Are you in the beginning section with the clickers? It's tough the first time. Take out the runners by sneaking up on them and then you can take out a clicker by throwing a brick and meleeing the clicker before it recovers. You don't want to be running and gunning in the gsme youll get fucked up worse than Ray Rice's fiancée.

Are you in the beginning section with the clickers? It's tough the first time. Take out the runners by sneaking up on them and then you can take out a clicker by throwing a brick and meleeing the clicker before it recovers. You don't want to be running and gunning in the gsme youll get fucked up worse than Ray Rice's fiancée.
Yeah lol, I'm learning out things the hard way.

ESPN said:
The legal team for Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon will argue in a hearing Friday that its client has disputed test results that were caused from secondhand marijuana smoke, according to sources.

Gordon is appealing the NFL's imposition of a yearlong suspension for a positive test for marijuana.

Gordon's legal team will argue that the positive tests are so marginal that they show uncertainty as to whether the test results were truly positive, and even if so, were the result of exposure to secondhand smoke, according to sources familiar with the case.

Gordon's defense is...he didn't smoke weed, the people he hung out with did and he was the victim.

See you in 2015-16, Gordon.

Dragon

Banned
Yeah lol, I'm learning out things the hard way.

It's a methodical game that requires a lot of patience if you're playing on higher difficulty. But the reward with how tense and suspenseful the gameplay is fantastic. Don't get discouraged I managed to finish on hard with no listen mode and I'm bad at games.

squicken

Patrick Peterson is more delusional than squall

"We gave San Fran two games last year. Gave them two games last year," Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Peterson told USA TODAY Sports after practice Monday.

"Came out slow and played Seattle slow in the first game, and we still ended up climbing back in the game to the fourth quarter and we kind of tucked our tail again. We went up to Seattle (and won). And lord knows we gave the Rams the first game we played them."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ck-peterson-arizona-darnell-dockett/13342055/

Dockett too

"Technically, we were beating Seattle's ass here," defensive tackle Darnell Dockett told USA TODAY Sports. "They won the game, but you mean physically? San Francisco, physically? We dogged San Fran (in Week 6). They won the game in the fourth quarter. We turned the ball over and they ran the ball in.

"They won the game, don't get me wrong. We can't take that from them. But it was never like, 'Oh, they're going to just kill 'em when they come up there.'"

What to watch for 2014: Green Bay Packers

---

QB - Does the backup QB battle between Scott Tolzien and Matt Flynn interest you? If not, move along.

RB - The Packers are expected to use a Eddie Lacy/James Starks one-two punch in the backfield in 2014 but former starter DuJuan Harris is back from injury and will look to contribute as a 3rd down back.

TE - With Jermichael Finley unlikely to return, the big question will be who will try and fill his shoes. While the Packers inked TE Andrew Quarless to an extension in the off-season, Quarless hasn't been involved in any practices this off-season due to an undisclosed injury. Likely suitors to Finley's role include understudy Brandon Bostick and 3rd round pick Richard Rodgers.

WR - The Packers starting four are set: Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, and rookie Davonte Adams. Jared Abbrederis is likely a lock for the fifth spot. For the sixth spot, I'd watch for a competition between Chris Harper and rookie Jeff Janis.

Offensive Line - This year's lot should be one of the best the Packers have had in years with Bryan Bulaga back. The big wild card here is will new starting C J.C. Tretter be everything the Packers had hoped?

---

Defensive Line - This is BJ Raji's put up or shut up year. The Packers resigned him to a 1-year deal to prove if he's a waste of space or a bonafide disruptor. Julius Peppers will help bring some mean and nasty to the soft Green Bay defense and third year DL Mike Daniels promises to punch people in the mouth. It will be a big question if 2012 2nd round pick Jerel Worthy can get out of the "bust" category in 2014. Will Datone Jones show up? Interesting group to watch.

LB - The big question here is how will the Packers use their linebackers? They've rumored to be moving Clay Matthews around and making the defense more flexible to accommodate different play styles. Look for Jamari Lattimore to challenge Brad Jones for the starting ILB spot later on in the season. Will Nick Perry stay healthy? LB is probably the most interesting position to watch on the Packers 2014 Roster.

CB - Shields and Williams ancor a deep corner group with rookie wunderkind Casey Hayward returning after a sabotaged sophomore outing due to injury. Fan scapegoat Davon House is likely to see more reps due to Tramon Williams being in a contract year.

S - The Packers have converted Micah Hyde to Safety to complement struggling 5th year starter Morgan Burnett despite drafting S Ha Ha Clinton Dix in the first round. Expect the Packers to rotate Dix and Hyde with Burnett, lining Hyde up in the slot, and giving him an opportunity to make a play at the ball similar to Charles Woodson's hybrid role in years previous.

---

K - Can Mason Crosby stay consistent after a great 2013?

P - Gingers are the worst.

---

Outlook:

The offense should undoubtedly be explosive with a stronger offensive line and competent play-action thanks to Eddie Lacy. If a player can emerge at TE, the Packers offense could approach but not attain the success shown in 2011 after their Super Bowl run.

The defense should be improved due to an injection of talent and a more flexible scheme. The major question is how much will it improve? If the Packers hope to get back to the Super Bowl, it will largely depend on Dom Capers and his defense.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Nice write up ginger kid.

That reminds me that I'm very concerned about tight end and center....

I mean that's a huge question mark. I'm also used to having a greater embarrassment of riches at receiver so it should be interesting to see where it goes.

So I didn't banned, yay. But my post did get deleted, booooo.

Apparently it's ok to condone the murders of hundreds of children because they're all potential terrorists.

It's not OK, however, for me to respond to that guy with a dozen photos of those dead potential terrorists (Some of whom are so young that their corpses are still wearing diapers) because y'know, THAT'S what might be a little tasteless.

Dragon

Banned
So I didn't banned, yay. But my post did get deleted, booooo.

Apparently it's ok to condone the murders of hundreds of children because they're all potential terrorists.

It's not OK, however, for me to respond to that guy with a dozen photos of those dead potential terrorists (Some of whom are so young that their corpses are still wearing diapers) because y'know, THAT'S what might be a little tasteless.

Don't take this the wrong way but you're an idiot :).

Bucket, they're playing Peppers at OLB!

And I wouldn't consider anyone on the roster a lock for the #5-#6 WR spots.

Otherwise a good writeup. DL is the most mysterious position. They finally let Pickett walk, Raji is a known quantity for being mediocre, and nobody really stands out. Probably play a lot of 2-4-5 nickel and 2-gap both DTs, but who knows

Top Bottom