• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Thanks man. Gives me more insight. Do you think Tannehill has the ability to make these type of quick reads with consistency? I always felt when the Pats played him that his ability to run scared me moreso than anyone besides Charles Clay (mf!).
This is one of the big question marks going into the season for Tannehill. In terms of physical ability he has all of the tools, particularly arm strength, short to mid range accuracy, and running ability. He can throw a nice looking deep ball but his accuracy and timing with that are another question mark.

Based on camp and preseason stuff (I know, it's just preseason but it's all we have) Tannehill looks confident in this new offense. He is making throws much more decisively and quickly than he ever did under Sherman, and I've yet to see him throw a pass that shouldn't have been thrown. Like I said, whether or not he can do this when the games start to mean something is a question mark, but I am at least a little optimistic. Sherman was also terrified of using Tannehill's running ability because he didn't want to get him hurt. The read-option was extremely rare to see and Sherman rarely called boot-legs and rollouts, even though Tannehill rates as one of the best QB's in the league when passing from outside of the pocket. Lazor has already stated that he isn't afraid to utilize this aspect of Tannehill's abilities.

It's not just about him, the offense just seems a lot more intelligently designed now. Last year Wallace lined up on the same side of the field every single play. You could tell the Dolphins were running the same college style offense that Tannehill ran under Sherman at A&M. Now Lazor is constantly talking about challenging the players mentally by creating offensive plays that are creative and complex. I'm drinking the kool-aid obviously but it looks great and sounds great so far.

This is one of the big question marks going into the season for Tannehill. In terms of physical ability he has all of the tools, particularly arm strength, short to mid range accuracy, and running ability. He can throw a nice looking deep ball but his accuracy and timing with that are another question mark.

Based on camp and preseason stuff (I know, it's just preseason but it's all we have) Tannehill looks confident in this new offense. He is making throws much more decisively and quickly than he ever did under Sherman, and I've yet to see him throw a pass that shouldn't have been thrown. Like I said, whether or not he can do this when the games start to mean something is a question mark, but I am at least a little optimistic. Sherman was also terrified of using Tannehill's running ability because he didn't want to get him hurt. The read-option was extremely rare to see and Sherman rarely called boot-legs and rollouts, even though Tannehill rates as one of the best QB's in the league when passing from outside of the pocket. Lazor has already stated that he isn't afraid to utilize this aspect of Tannehill's abilities.

It's not just about him, the offense just seems a lot more intelligently designed now. Last year Wallace lined up on the same side of the field every single play. You could tell the Dolphins were running the same college style offense that Tannehill ran under Sherman at A&M. Now Lazor is constantly talking about challenging the players mentally by creating offensive plays that are creative and complex. I'm drinking the kool-aid obviously but it looks great and sounds great so far.

The slant pass to Landry during the bucs game is a perfect example of an accurate pass/quick decision that he will need to make consistently. I just hope he can.

MechDX

Fitzpatrick.gif

Fitzpatrick Fucking Football!

jakncoke

Banned
Josh Katzenstein ‏@jkatzenstein 26m
#Lions DT C.J. Mosley is listed as the starter ahead of Nick Fairley in the Lions' unofficial depth chart of Friday's game against JAX.

Thoughts Kas?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
#Lions DT C.J. Mosley is listed as the starter ahead of Nick Fairley in the Lions' unofficial depth chart of Friday's game against JAX.

Thoughts Kas?

Always forget there are 2 CJ Mosley's :lol

MechDX

Thoughts Kas?
few days ago Kas completely renounced any love for Fairley oddly enough. Of course then he rambled on about how great Suh was.

RyanDG

When I think that the Broncos have future hall of famer Brock Osweiler ready to take up Manning's mantle, I feel happy. But then I remember that technically Osweiler's contract comes up before Manning's (...since I have a feeling Manning will play until the end of it. He seems stubborn like that), and it makes me sad.

eznark

Banned
A buddy of mine is writing a Lions preview for some site, came up with this nugget:

In his last 3 seasons Matthew Stafford has started all 16 games and averaged 403 completions, 680 attempts (59.2%), 4808 yards, 24 TDs and 18 picks a year. In 2010 Stafford missed most of the season. The Lions saw Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton start 13 games in his absence. If you combine their numbers and project them out to a full 16 game season Shrew Stanhill had 658 attempts, 401 completions (61%), 4266 yards, 24 TDs and 18 picks.

Matt Stafford: replacement level QB

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

Thoughts Kas?

How bad did Fairley piss off the coaching staff and organization? I knew we were never going to resign Fairley at the end of the year but I wanted him to produce at least for his contract season and then we'd draft his replacement next year. He's losing millions of dollars and its all on him.

Anyway I like C.J. Mosley. He's a solid veteran and if Fairley doesn't want to show leadership give Mosley the spot. I liked what I saw from Mosley against the Raiders. We also have Jason Jones (former Seahawk) coming back from a full season injury from last year and he's a solid defensive lineman who will play opposite of Ziggy Ansah whenever he comes back.

You could put my 70 year old uncle on a defensive line with Suh and he'd produce. Our #1 priority should be to resign Suh but if he tests free agency I think he's gone. We'll worry about that when the time comes right now its time to focus on Opening MNF against the Giants.

Also if the Raiders game was any indication we are going to be blitzing our linebackers like mad dogs.

Jerry Jones had to be stopped from drafting Manziel according to this report:

http://deadspin.com/report-jerry-jones-was-physically-barred-from-drafting-1623446357

In an excerpt from Manziel Mania, a new book from Jim Dent, we are given a behind-the-scenes glimpse at the Cowboys' 2014 draft. When Dallas came on the clock with the 16th pick in the first round, Ol' Jerry was apparently thiiiiiis close to handing Johnny Manziel's draft card up the podium, but was stopped by his own son. From the Dallas Morning News:

"I could just see Jones grabbing Manziel with the 16th choice of the first round," Dent writes. "I wrote a book about Jerry Jones in 1995 titled 'King of the Cowboys.' I know the Boss Hog. I knew that Jones' hands were shaking when the Cowboys went on the clock with Manziel still on the board. I could envision Jones scribbling the name of Johnny Manziel on the draft card. Indeed, all of these things happened.

"As it turned out, Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones had snatched the Manziel card straight out of his dad's hand. Otherwise, Jerry would have drafted him and JFF would have sat for at least three years behind Tony Romo."

LionsGAF going through turmoil before the season even begins. :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125984243&postcount=58

If I wasn't cutting fast food out my diet I'd be at Taco Bell with Stafford right now.

But yea on Fairley...he's still on the second team today at practice. And while I like Caldwell's focus on accountability I'm baffled by his public comments on Fairley. He said Fairley looked good against Oakland whereas anyone who watched the game thought otherwise. An example of some of the coverage, from ESPN's Lions reporter:

Defensive tackle Nick Fairley: Watched him intently. Was pushed off the line really easily pretty often. Even on the Ihedigbo interception, where he was dictating his matchup with the offensive lineman, he didn’t create too much pressure and the lineman still had good position on him. Was handled by the offensive linemen in one-on-one coverage on a lot of plays, although he did draw double teams on occasion.

He looked bad, period. Is Caldwell just doing this as some type of motivation game or is it really about accountability? We'll see soon.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
From todays practice:

10612965_10152592122693605_9129771341846802376_n.jpg

Look at those triceps, forearms, calfs, hamstrings, ass....

banderas.png

Reggie is looking great as usual as well.

WedgeX

Banned
If I wasn't cutting fast food out my diet I'd be at Taco Bell with Stafford right now.

But yea on Fairley...he's still on the second team today at practice. And while I like Caldwell's focus on accountability I'm baffled by his public comments on Fairley. He said Fairley looked good against Oakland whereas anyone who watched the game thought otherwise. An example of some of the coverage, from ESPN's Lions reporter:

He looked bad, period. Is Caldwell just doing this as some type of motivation game or is it really about accountability? We'll see soon.

Dave Birkett did a down-by-down analysis of Fairley. It wasn't inspiring.

MRSA

Banned
Super market steaks are awful quality, but for a 3/4lb ribeye for $2, I'll drown in peppercorn sauce that would make Stafford jealous.

Is he banned forever? Wasn't he making a movie reference? I was surprised by him saying that when nothing he said around it lead to him saying something like that.

I feel like if you quote something verbatim from popular movie/books etc and put quotes around it, you should never be banned. Of course if it's relevant to the discussion.

I'm making a steak for one, not for a family. Costco has amazing quality meats but I wouldn't be able eat all of that in one week.

3 months, RIP.

Get a girlfriend...

Top Bottom