• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

jakncoke

Banned
Lets see what Nick Foles does in year 2 of starting or are the Eagles fanbase full on train there no way he regresses train.

JABEE

Lets see what Nick Foles does in year 2 of starting or are the Eagles fanbase full on train there no way he regresses train.

I won't go as far as Gutshot went and predict a Super Bowl this season, but I think they're on the right path. I think Chip Kelly is a pretty great coach. I understand everyone is joking around about falling asleep during the combine, but at some point, you can no longer call Kelly another Spurrier.

On a side note:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863419

jakncoke

Banned
I won't go as far as Gutshot went and predict a Super Bowl this season, but I think they're on the right path. I think Chip Kelly is a pretty great coach. I understand everyone is joking around about falling asleep during the combine, but at some point, you can no longer call Kelly another Spurrier.

On a side note:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863419

Right path by giving up your #1 WR because of garbage reasoning?

MRSA

Banned
Can we all agree that Eva Green is hot?

evagreen2.jpg

ez, at least admit Chip Kelly had a good season last year. Like Kelly said in the MMQB article, they were 7-1 during the second half of the season. Once Foles was set in the offense the Eagles were pretty damn great last season.

They lost to the Saints by a field goal, because of a shitty kick from Alex Henery.
Please don't call last season a great season. They lost because Cooper is shit, Foles had a terrible first half, and the D couldn't stop the Saints running the ball. Foles getting sacked out of fg range really hurt as well.

MechDX

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...ns-bill-obriens-style-similar-to-tom-coughlin

The two days I spent watching the Houston Texans were like a time machine of sorts for me, taking me back to a time when I was a beat guy covering the Jacksonville Jaguars with a first-year NFL coach named Tom Coughlin.

My favorite moment from the two days I watched the team, a moment that says a lot about O'Brien, was when he had his players line up to run wind sprints after practice, an NFL rarity, but something Coughlin used to do. "You want to know how to win?" O'Brien screamed at his players. "Listen to me."

I get the sense he loves the don't-pay-attention-to-outside-noise-and-distraction mantra, which are things a control freak like O'Brien tries to eliminate as best he can. I would love to say he's different than what he seems, which a lot of staffers told me, but I never had a chance to sit down with him in a one-on-one setting. It didn't fit the schedule, I guess.

I am OK with that. Nor am I complaining about it. Sometimes, it's best to just observe and listen. And based on what I saw, I think O'Brien could be a heck of a coach.

The problem is that many limbs from that Parcells tree rotted when they broke off. The coaches rarely lived up to the hype when they got head-coaching jobs, one such failure being Romeo Crennel, now the defensive coordinator in Houston. There have been others who have also failed, like Josh McDaniels and Eric Mangini. Coughlin, though, won big. And I see more Coughlin in O'Brien than Mangini or Crennel or McDaniels.

He will learn. He's smart. He will also learn what's important and what's not -- and will realize you can't sweat the little things. Although he would never admit it, when Coughlin learned that lesson, he won a Super Bowl.

Before that happened, he was fired in Jacksonville and forced to change. Like most smart coaches, O'Brien will come to realize the only things that truly matter are those that happen on the field, and, no matter how much he might try, controlling that is darn near impossible

Nice write up by Prisco about O'Brien. More at link

cashman

Banned
Please don't call last season a great season. They lost because Cooper is shit, Files had a terrible first half, and the D couldn't stop the Saints running the ball. File getting sacked out of fg range really hurt as well.

Such a stark contrast between your Eagles cynicism and your Phillies positivity

gutshot

I think most Eagles fans are taking a wait and see approach with Foles. I say most because I'm currently the one driving the "Foles is the Future" bandwagon.

JABEE

Please don't call last season a great season. They lost because Cooper is shit, Foles had a terrible first half, and the D couldn't stop the Saints running the ball. Foles getting sacked out of fg range really hurt as well.

It wasn't a great season, but it was a good season for a 1st year coach implementing everything for the first time. The Eagles had to make a QB change on the fly and change from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

Sure, Foles made some mistakes during the game against the Saints, but he was still able to drive down the field and put the Eagles ahead in the end. The Eagles lost the field position battle. The Saints were no pushover team to go against and the Eagles still have some distance to travel before they will beat the Seahawks and 49ers, but they're on their way.

The Eagles have an offensive system and implementation that will allow them to compete with any team. The hard part is closing out these games and holding leads when you get them. I hope with a full off season, the Eagles defense will have room to gel and play better together. I still don't think they have the pieces there to be legit Super Bowl contenders from what I have seen so far, but they are getting there.

JABEE

Weird I could have sworn I read great when I read his post.

I just said the Eagles played pretty damn great during the second half of the season with Foles in the fold. Kelly had a good season. That's without mentioning he was a first year coach. The first half of the season was shaky, and the defense never improved enough, but I still feel pretty good about the future of the team. They could surprise some people if they get a favorable playoff matchup.

I think that should be the expectation this season. I want the Eagles to go all the way, but I still think they have some work to do in terms of personnel on the defensive side of the ball. They lack a bonafide pass rusher, corner depth, and one starting caliber safety. The shift towards the offensive side in the enforcement of league rules is what makes me think this team has a chance to advance. Kelly's offense will keep up with all but may two teams in this league in a shootout.

I'm watching a stream of Sniper Elite III on PS4 and some guy just gave the streamer $10 to friend him.

6Nr4K.png

Thirsty over girls is one thing. Thirsty over game streamers?

Farooq

Banned
I will post a write up for the Cowboys later tonight. Unless there are other members of Cowboys-GAF who would like to do it instead.

MechDX

10ngoed_zpscb7b41db.gif

I just cant stop watching and imagining.....to think Clowney is still recovering from hernia surgery so he isn't 100% up to speed right now.

Top Bottom