• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

eznark

Banned
We obviously got screwed over by drafting three elite players before the rookie cap hit during the 2011 (or was it 2012?) draft.

Suh will get top dollar wherever he goes. We should keep the QB under contract of course, and if it comes down to choosing between Suh or Megatron I would go with Suh. I still don't think Megatrons knees hold up at his size and age over the next few years.

You don't have a choice. By the way, he'll be a $22m cap hit in 2016. Megatron will be $25m.

GOOD LUCK

We obviously got screwed over by drafting three elite players before the rookie cap hit during the 2011 (or was it 2012?) draft.

Suh will get top dollar wherever he goes. We should keep the QB under contract of course, and if it comes down to choosing between Suh or Megatron I would go with Suh. I still don't think Megatrons knees hold up at his size and age over the next few years.

The rest of our solid roster is built through the draft and some decent free agent pickups (Tate, Bush).

Suh is good to keep but not at the money you folks are paying him.

cajunator

Banned
I'd guess you'd have to define a big city for me. My dream is to live in San Diego or Vancouver, two places I'd imagine people would describe as cities. You list disadvantages to big cities without listing positives which seems unbalanced. The amount of music, culture, art and opportunity is vastly larger in bigger cities than in the country. Plus you're generalizing all big cities as expensive and overcrowded. Not every city is San Francisco or New York.

Im saying you can get similar music, culture, art, and opportunities in smaller, less crowded midsized cities for a fraction of the cost of living. Thats where the sweet spot is. Im not saying country life is nicer because it often isnt. It can be dreadfully boring and life sapping. But it works for some people.

eznark

Banned
Darrelle Revis is the third most expensive player in the league next season.

Darrelle Revis will not be a Patriot next season.

GQman2121

Banned
It's fireworks night at M&T Bank Stadium and people are tailgating Ravens practice. :|

I'm going to walk over in an hour when the gates open up.

Sanjuro

Says the masochist

I'm no masochist. Boston is remarkably easy to drive in outside of the daily commutes. When I was in New York, it was a bit more difficult to manage, and you needed to revolve your day around certain times. Still enjoyed doing it though.

Bread

Banned
Im saying you can get similar music, culture, art, and opportunities in smaller, less crowded midsized cities for a fraction of the cost of living. Thats where the sweet spot is. Im not saying country life is nicer because it often isnt. It can be dreadfully boring and life sapping. But it works for some people.
You can say that but it doesn't make it true

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
You don't have a choice. By the way, he'll be a $22m cap hit in 2016. Megatron will be $25m.

GOOD LUCK

Having an elite QB under contract is not a "hit" neither is having the best WR in the game.

You can't have three players like we do with those screwed up rookie contracts from 2010 and before. If the choice comes down to Megatron and Suh and I think we should stick with Suh.

One way or another like I was saying last night Suh will be the highest paid defensive player in the league and deservedly so.

Syrinx

In the future when I graduate and start looking for a full-time job I'll probably need to live in a city with solid public transportation since I don't drive. Either that or I'd need to live within walking distance of wherever I work.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That Suh news is the prime example of why Mayhew is a terrible general manager.

No way he re-signs in Detroit.

eznark

Banned
Having an elite QB under contract is not a "hit" neither is having the best WR in the game.

Cool, so lets not have any posts about how the Lions need to add this or that to finally restore the roar in 2016, because those two players is about all they'll be able to afford.

Colasante

Darrelle Revis is the third most expensive player in the league next season.

Darrelle Revis will not be a Patriot next season.

Probably not, but his salary for 2015 is essentially irrelevant, since it was designed to be an intentionally humungous number the Patriots would never pay. Whether they work out an extension or not won't be dictated by his $25 million cap hit.

MechDX

You can't have three players like we do with those screwed up rookie contracts from 2010 and before. If the choice comes down to Megatron and Suh and I think we should stick with Suh.

One way or another like I was saying last night Suh will be the highest paid defensive player in the league and deservedly so.

He wont even be the highest paid defensive lineman much less player.

JABEE

:jnc or :kas, not sure which one to go with.

Also, Calvin Johnson has a shit load of dead money too. They are just going to let Suh walk.

Bread

Banned
How is it not true?
You can still get world music festivals, great food, lots of culture, and amenities, all the things you need or want, in a smaller city.
You haven't given any indication on what cities are sized appropriately for your tastes, you just keep talking about smaller cities. Boston is a small city...

cajunator

Banned
You haven't given any indication on what cities are sized appropriately for your tastes, you just keep talking about smaller cities. Boston is a small city...

2-300k population is about where it should be.
Boston has over a million people in the MSA.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mayhew says they may use the franchise tag on him next year.

LOLOLOL

Konka

Banned
Boston itself has about 650k people. thats a large city.

Donnie you're out of your element. As far as cities in this world go Boston is on the smaller side. Some of us really like living in the heart of the action, you obviously don't, but housing prices are higher because living in the city is some of the most desirable housing. I'd absolutely love to live in Manhattan if I could ever afford it.

cajunator

Banned
Donnie you're out of your element. As far as cities in this world go Boston is on the smaller side. Some of us really like living in the heart of the action, you obviously don't, but housing prices are higher because living in the city is some of the most desirable housing. I'd absolutely love to live in Manhattan if I could ever afford it.

what Im asking is whats desirable about it?

Bowser

538: How Good is Andrew Luck?

In both sets of value-over-replacement rankings, Luck narrowly places ahead of the Carolina Panthers’ Cam Newton, who makes for a particularly interesting point of comparison. Statistically, the two quarterbacks offered similar production a year ago, but their reputations couldn’t be more different. Luck is widely known as a “winner“; Newton has been dogged by criticism as a “stat-padder” who doesn’t deliver in big moments. Those sentiments probably played a large role when Sando’s execs placed Newton in the third tier despite having a quantitative résumé similar to Luck’s. Backing up that viewpoint, Christopher Price writes in Football Outsiders’ 2014 Almanac: “Newton is a very talented quarterback, but nobody in the league would take him over Andrew Luck right now.”

smh at the cism in the league

cajunator

Banned
Having everything you need within walking distance and having solid public transportation, for starters.

See this whole thing with walking everywhere. why the hell is that even desirable? I could see riding a bike but walking places is a gigantic pain in the ass. I spent enough time around New Orleans to see that in the French Quarter and in DC. Its kind of fun for a few days as a novelty, but if I had to do all that stuff day in and day out Id be absolutely miserable. I mean like ridiculously dreadfully miserable hating life. I guess I can see where those studies are right in that regard.

This is on Mayhew. You don't constantly delay and restructure deals for an elite level player until the last minute.

Franchising Suh would KILL this team. Trade him.

meanwhile some good Lions news:
@ttwentyman

Slay with two good plays in a row in one-on-ones with WR's. Went up over Broyles and jumped a Tate route to break both passes up

Konka

Banned
See this whole thing with walking everywhere. why the hell is that even desirable? I could see riding a bike but walking places is a gigantic pain in the ass. I spent enough time around New Orleans to see that in the French Quarter and in DC. Its kind of fun for a few days as a novelty, but if I had to do all that stuff day in and day out Id be absolutely miserable. I mean like ridiculously dreadfully miserable hating life. I guess I can see where those studies are right in that regard.

I enjoy walking? It's nice to be able to walk to a bar and not having to worry about how you get home? Walking is free and good for you.

Bread

Banned
walking is miserable?!

i wish i could walk every where, it's free, it's good for your body, it's relaxing...wtf man

cajunator

Banned
Anyway sorry I ever brought it up. I just vehemently disagree with cities and the absurd cost of living people have to endure for the tiny amount of perks. But some people enjoy it so whatever.

Regarding that Andrew Luck thing, it was on Mike and mike or SVP and Russillo I forget which but they were debating it.
Pesonally I think Hes very good and like Peyton he has to make up for some very large team deficiencies.

Bowser

It's not a schism. Winning matters. Cam's only really won a big game last season and it was mainly credited to the D. Luck has taken what is regarded as a shit squad to a few improbable wins starting his rookie season.

While I agree Luck has been impressive, I don't really think the Panthers are all that much better than the Colts roster-wise. Obviously our defensive line and LBs are way better than what the Colts have, but I'd say our O-line, receivers and secondary are all on par with or worse than what the Colts have right now. And our defense in Cam's rookie season was way worse than anything Luck has had to deal with in his 2 seasons, they were literally giving up 28+ points in almost every game (26.8 ppg for the season to be exact with some outlier performances that kept it under 30ppg).

I think Luck is a better QB right now than Cam (*gasp*), but I don't agree with execs who think Luck places in Tier 1 and Cam places in Tier 3. They're much closer than that.

Why would they trade him? This is their last year to be relevant.

Uber. C'mon son.

Wouldn't trade him this year, I'd aim for after the season if we can find a team that he commits to re-signing with. You're right, this is essentially our one shot. Next year we could easily be without Suh and Fairley - we can haggle over how good or not good this DL is, but without those two it would be utter trash.

Top Bottom