• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least he hasn't murdered anyone yet. That's an improvement for Ravens LBs.

That we know of, there has been 2893 baltimore murders since the year the Ravens drafted him!

S9MbvQx.jpg

Stop calling me, I'm at work again.

Bowser

About TY Hilton's "$39m guaranteed":

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 30m30 minutes ago
TY Hilton's deal includes $12m for this season and pays him $28M over 1st 3 yrs (all guaranteed for injury now). Most $ comes on back end...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 28m28 minutes ago
Of Hilton's $66M, $38M comes final 3 yrs (base of 11, 13 and 14M), so if Luck $ goes crazy team flexible to move. Smart deal for both sides

ampere

I don't feel like TY is really worth that money honestly. I mean you know you're going to put up big numbers from Luck regardless, you need to protect him more and build a defense.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
What to watch for 2015:
Pittsburgh Steelers

I'm going to break with tradition here and just focus on the preseason, I'll write a season preview later.

Quick 2014 review: The Steelers had a high powered offense that sputtered at times in the red zone. Their defense sputtered at all times.

OFFENSE -

Not much to discuss. All of the starters return to the squad. The backup qb's, linemen, wide outs and tight ends also return. There are a couple of players to keep an eye on, though.

DeAngelo Williams was brought in to back up Le'Veon Bell. He'll have to start the first two games because of Bell's suspension. He's getting up there in age, but should be able to provide decent production in limited action.

Third round pick, Sammie Coates, has tantalizing potential. If he's going to show his talent, he'll have to do it during the preseason.

Dri Archer is entering his second year. He has great speed and has shown promise in this and last year's camp. He won't get many opportunities in the offense, so he needs to improve his special teams work.

Allejandro Villanueva is a massive tackle prospect and has been up and down in camp. Perhaps he can squeeze onto the team.

There is a battle for the third tight end spot. Fifth round pick Jesse James has been inconsistent and udrfa Cameron Clear has been invisible.

Lastly, backup qb Bruce Gradkowski has been on the pup list and Landry Jones has played a lot in the first two preseason games. Jones has been terrible and it may be time for the Steelers to make some moves behind Roethlisberger.

DEFENSE -

This was the offseason of upheaval. Longtime and hall of fame defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau left for Tenessee and was replaced by Keith Butler. Schematically, Butler has implemented some cover 2 concepts and 4-3 fronts. Also leaving the Steelers this offseason were Troy Polumalu, Brett Keisel and Ike Taylor.

There are queston marks all over the defense, so let's go over the position groupings.

DL - Cam Heyward signed a big extension and is expected to anchor the line. Steve McClendon is consistent, but not a top tier defender. Perhaps big Dan McCullers can show enough improvement at NT in his second year to make McClendon expendable at the end of the year. Stephon Tuitt, also in his second year, will start at the other DE position. He needs to continue to improve. The back up DE positions are up for grabs. Cam Thomas was a disappointment in his first season with the team, but looks pretty good in camp. LT Walton was drafted in the fifth round but needs a lot of work.

ILB - Perhaps the deepest position on the team. 2014 first round pick, Ryan Shazier has been great so far, but he looked good last year before injuries derailed his season. There is no competition here to make the team. Maybe Jordan Zumwalt can push Terrance Garvin for the fifth spot, but I doubt it.

OLB - Perhaps the shakiest position on the team. James Harrison is 37 and he's clearly the best of the bunch. Jarvis Jones is entering his third year and still hasn't shown to his first round selection. Arthur Moats was brought to the team last year and is solid, but not spectacular. Bud Dupree was this year's first pick and is clearly a project. Anthony Chickillo was selected late in the draft and is a long shot to make the final squad. Someone needs to step up.

CB - The Steelers were dealt a blow early as second round pick Senquez Golson will probably miss the year with a shoulder injury. To counteract this loss, Brandon Boykin was acquired via trade. He immediately becomes the Steelers best cover corner. William Gay has turned into a solid pro. Cortez Allen was given a big contract last year and quickly lost confidence, seemingly penalized or burned every time a ball was thrown in his direction last year. Doran Grant was the team's fourth round pick and will need to play special teams while getting up to speed with the defense. Antwon Blake is a solid backup. Kevin Fogg and BW Webb will battle to make the team.

S - Mike Mitchell was signed as a prized free agent last year and didn't play to his potential. He was hampered by two torn groins last year, so hopefully he'll bounce back. Shamarko Thomas will start the year at strong safety. It will be his first extended playing time and while hopes are high, he'll have to learn on the fly. Gerod Holliman was the last pick for the Steelers this year. He's an intriguing prospect. He was downgraded for his tackling, but, so far his play in the preseason hasn't shown he's adverse from contact. Will Allen is a solid, if aging, veteran. Ian Wild, Allen Darby and Jordan Dangerfield may have a chance at breaking into the final roster.

ST -

There's a bit of a battle at punter between Australian incumbent Brad Wing and Australian newcomer Jordan Berry.

PK Shaun Suisham was lost to a torn acl and was replaced with Garrett Hartley.

QUICK HIT -

In the near term, this draft class is going to look terrible. The only player who could make an immediate impact, Golson, is out for the year. The other picks, including Dupree, Coates and Grant are all projects. In the long view, they could all be great.

CONCLUSION -

One side of the ball is set, barring injuries. The other side, not so much. A change of schemes and lots of new players almost certainly points to another difficult year on defense. The Steelers need to figure out who can contribute on defense and who needs to be replaced, so this preseason is extremely important.

RBH

How long will bradford play?

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford will not be playing against the Indianapolis Colts this Sunday afternoon. Chip Kelly confirmed as much during a press conference on Friday morning.

The Eagles head coach said that Bradford is disappointed with the decision, but understands the reasoning. Bradford hasn't seen live game action since last August before he suffered a second ACL injury. Bradford hasn't shown signs of injury during Eagles training camp but he hasn't exactly been on the run a lot, either.

With Bradford out, Kelly confirmed veteran Mark Sanchez will make the start against the Colts. Sanchez is not expected to play long. Kelly said the starters will likely only play eight to 10 snaps. Look for backups Matt Barkley and Tim Tebow to get plenty of action.

Kelly said Bradford's preseason debut won't come until the Eagles play the Baltimore Ravens next week on Saturday, August 22nd.
The Eagles and Ravens are scheduled to hold joint training camp practices next week leading up to the game.
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...terback-colts-ravens-preseason-knee-acl-debut

MechDX

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl · 15m15 minutes ago
#Browns say QB Connor Shaw will have surgery on his right (throwing) thumb and will miss an extended period of time.

Furyous post if you are ok!

RBH

I'm in Philly for this month, and I was actually debating about going to the game today since the stadium is only a few subway stops away from where I am.

Then I saw that the cheapest tickets were $50 on Stubhub :|

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

ampere

I'm in Philly for this month, and I was actually debating about going to the game today since the stadium is only a few subway stops away from where I am.

And you call yourself a Tebow fan smh

Godslay

Banned
Dude looks pretty slim. Not yolk up.

I thought the same thing. Maybe keeping a physique like Brady Quinn isn't the best thing for a QB.

I'll pitch in $10 if you give us pictures.

You could have gotten tickets for half that outside the stadium.

Line_HTX

Good morning!

Man, that Preseason game last night was really sweet. Though I was kind of pissed at Ryan Mallet and Co. not scoring a TD after a 4th Down conversion and having SEVEN fucking downs from the 1 yard line. I know it's Preseason, but come on son, you and Blue have to punch it in or RIOT!

Savage looked fucking awesome as well. I liked the new guys from other positions and from the defense. Really good showing thus far from various players.

Maybe it's early, but I think I'm starting to get sold on Hoy Hoy. That first drive was really strong. Mech, pls don't kill me. I still hope that Ryan should get the starting job with Savage as 2nd string, but man... Hoy looked good.

It's almost Tebow time and no shirtless pic of him in the heavy rain? Come on, you people!

Hello there, FMT. :)

How 'bout that Squidward bomb incompletion? =D

its funny because i read grant "niner hater" cohn's review on the game an he said "The Bad: Kaepernick overthrew Torrey Smith by 10 yards" lol, it was more like a yard. as i said, we need to throw 5 of those per game. i expect some growing pains on kaps deep passes (which he was decent at previously) because of the little hitch he has now in his throws. definitely encouraged by torrey getting open pretty easily though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom